Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
I've seen it mentioned here, and like every game I've been in since wipe: What the gently caress is poi?

edit: Also I saw someone with a pink icon above their ship, what's up with that?

Dazh fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're coming back - except I think they're woefully underestimating how long it'll take for 'average players' to round out the playable ship pool.

The reasoning is horseshit - they didn't mind in the least in the first few weeks of WoT with the upper tiers being dominated by Lowes and Clownshoes - this is just a ploy to get people to drop $50 each in a few days' time for a ~special introductory package~.

And there already are people with regular Tier 8 ships.

ubermensch
Jul 21, 2000

This avatar and I go back 5 1/2 years. That relationship is approxiamtely 1000x more successful than 99% of the relationships on these forums.
Experience payouts seem to be a lot lower than they were yesterday. Anyone else noticing that?

EDIT: Disregard. I just reinstalled last night and the client defaulted me to Co-Op and I didn't notice. What a waste of XP multipliers.

ubermensch fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 29, 2015

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
What is their refund policy on gold. I specifically bought gold this weekend for either the Atago or Atlanta. I couldny decide on which one to get and now im stuck with gold I dont need.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
With the Arkansas/Wyoming don't ever bother trying to penetrate battleships at close range, even with perfect angle. Though at long range you can citadel Myogi with AP.
Meanwhile Myogi won't have trouble citadeling yourself at close range so try to avoid these situations.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

TehKeen posted:

I want to play American DDs but it's just loving impossible right now. The torps are so short range they're suicide and you're not even guaranteed to hit because they're so slow. The Clemson has decent guns, but the range is so short it causes the same problem. If I were to be ignored, I'd be a loving monster but no, the enemy team is always in groups of 3+ so you get slaughtered before you can do any appreciable damage. I can't ambush either, because every time I try SOMEONE on the enemy team spots me and pubs are too alert. :(

edit: I did have another confederate match after that Phoenix game in my Wyoming - the highlight was blapping a Tenryu with a full broadside of HE. :laugh:

I wish I could have the same amount of luck with my DDs. :(

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yep - just was able to log in and the Atago and Atlanta are gone from the in-game store. Ha ha...gently caress Wargaming.

EDIT: Evidently the reason they removed them is they were being used too effectively for seal-clubbing at the moment. They'll only return when there's enough natural tech tree opponents around to challenge them.

:10bux: says they'll be purchasable for *actual* money by the weekend for people who don't want to wait.

:allears: Life sucks at T6 USN DD for me right now when I end up in a game with 8 Atagos, 2 Atlantas, and the only other people who actually grinded up to that level are in CVs or Colorados. I still manage, but it's a lot more running than I like.

A few more matches and I'll have 14km guns with the L4 Commander upgrade, though :hellyeah:

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Nosthula posted:

What is their refund policy on gold. I specifically bought gold this weekend for either the Atago or Atlanta. I couldny decide on which one to get and now im stuck with gold I dont need.

file a ticket; they should refund it if you haven't spent any

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

When do 1.5x (not even doubles... :negative: ) reset?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

WayAbvPar posted:

First win of the day.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

WayAbvPar posted:

I think it's sometime around midnight Euro time. I see the reset mid-evening in the Central USA time zone.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just logged in, glad I got both the Atlanta and Atago. :smugdog: Was gonna be pissed if they took them from me. Onward to seal clubbing!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Reset is at 8pm Eastern right now. I think midnight GMT.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I am now getting 108ms ping to boats.

This is significant as I live about 80 miles north of Syndey and am lucky to get 180ms to a good west coast US server. I usually ping 230ms to NA west.

I don't know what they gently caress they've done but if they can do it in tanks too I will never ever say a bad word about WG ever again.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

rossmum posted:

This is significant as I live about 80 miles north of Syndey and am lucky to get 180ms to a good west coast US server. I usually ping 230ms to NA west.

I don't know what they gently caress they've done but if they can do it in tanks too I will never ever say a bad word about WG ever again.

Berkut, please! This ruins my expectations of things.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

rossmum posted:

I get ~20ms to NA east, ~120 to NA west

my ping on wows constantly bounces around between 150 to 400 so who the gently caress knows what they're doing

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

rossmum posted:

In the patch notes they say that they simply changed the way they calculate/display lag to be more meaningful. The actual lag you are experiencing is still the same.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kesper North posted:

In the patch notes they say that they simply changed the way they calculate/display lag to be more meaningful. The actual lag you are experiencing is still the same.

If you tell him it's a placebo it doesn't work anymore :ssh:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Oh welp RIP my hopes and dreams.

Still, feels smoother than it did earlier. Maybe because it's 5:30 in the morning and my housemates haven't woken up to begin making GBS threads on our bandwidth yet.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Krogort posted:

Found this, what's not to love about the Zuihou.
Or hate, depending on which side of the planes you're on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5bm4Iq3HE

This is insane, who ever thought this could be balanced need to be sent to count trees in siberia.

I know, right? It's not like the Zuiho was a tier higher than everything else in that match and thus should be extremely dangerous, or several of them completely ignoring the incoming planes warning and sailing in a straight line without making even a token attempt to dodge or anything. No, clearly that was the most OP poo poo ever and needs to be nerfed more. It's not like a Kongo in a tier 3-4 match tends to devastate enemy teams or anything. Oh, wait...

I know it's shocking, but amazingly carriers don't even have guns to fall back on to do damage like destroyers do, so having a roughly ~50% hit rate is pretty acceptable. I'm also laughing at you thinking that was point blank, as it wasn't actually much off the range automatic currently drops at. Anyone who has played most of the CBT knows what real point blank looks like, even discounting the fact that manual also no longer allows spreads to be narrowed, and that's gone. THOSE spreads were the type that even destroyers and cruisers couldn't reliably dodge out of, while these really weren't. Hell, it's also at the tier where there is still no AA worth mentioning and most ships maneuver like pigs, so using it as an example of how horrible carriers are overall is particularly disingenuous.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I think the St. Louis got nerfed, the guns fire much slower now.
Or is it just me?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Michaellaneous posted:

I think the St. Louis got nerfed, the guns fire much slower now.
Or is it just me?

Get all the upgrades and it's back to it's normal glory.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Burt posted:

Get all the upgrades and it's back to it's normal glory.

I have all the upgrades.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Just had a game in my Grem where most of my team went full retard and died without accomplishing anything. Luckily we had a tier VII jap carrier and the enemy team had none. In the end it was him and me vs 5 enemies. I ended up with 3 kills, he had 8 total and we won :catstare:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The riverboat of doom is still a glorious sealclubbing machine. For extra kicks: Basic Firing Training now works on *primaries and secondaries* up to 155mm. Throw in Fire Prevention, High Alert, Basic Maintenance and a damage control mod upgrade and laugh while you truck through T3 matches getting slightly singed while you burn down the enemy team with your machinegun broadside.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Can someone give me permissions on TS? Name is Tagichatn, sitting in the lobby at the moment.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Lord Koth posted:

I know, right? It's not like the Zuiho was a tier higher than everything else in that match and thus should be extremely dangerous, or several of them completely ignoring the incoming planes warning and sailing in a straight line without making even a token attempt to dodge or anything. No, clearly that was the most OP poo poo ever and needs to be nerfed more. It's not like a Kongo in a tier 3-4 match tends to devastate enemy teams or anything. Oh, wait...

I know it's shocking, but amazingly carriers don't even have guns to fall back on to do damage like destroyers do, so having a roughly ~50% hit rate is pretty acceptable. I'm also laughing at you thinking that was point blank, as it wasn't actually much off the range automatic currently drops at. Anyone who has played most of the CBT knows what real point blank looks like, even discounting the fact that manual also no longer allows spreads to be narrowed, and that's gone. THOSE spreads were the type that even destroyers and cruisers couldn't reliably dodge out of, while these really weren't. Hell, it's also at the tier where there is still no AA worth mentioning and most ships maneuver like pigs, so using it as an example of how horrible carriers are overall is particularly disingenuous.
I think there are some short term problems with carriers that could and should be addressed, such as low tier ships/stock hulls often having low or literally zero AA. I think that current design is not super great though - the skill floor is very, very low and the way pubbies play pretty much precludes the kind of game play tactics that would make them more balanced. I think planes should be stealthier, relying more on teammates and plane scouting to spot other planes, but launch their munitions from farther range. I think the planes should lock/commit to their torpedo or bomb drop earlier, but not be spotted at 15km by every ship out there (I can spot a 40 foot plane at 15km but a 300 foot long destroyer is invisible at 6.5km?). Another option would be to make losing planes to AA/enemy fights a more devastating prospect than it is currently.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The only problem with carriers is that there aren't enough of them, and enough people overall in higher tiers, to achieve the necessary population for the matchmaker to function properly.

Once the population picks up, and the non-poop sockers reach their tier 4 and 5 carriers, it will even out.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
They still need to adjust the tier disparity in carriers. Had a game earlier where there were two Langleys versus one Bogue. The Langleys sent all their fighters against the Bogue's at the start of the game and did not kill a single plane.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

grrarg posted:

They still need to adjust the tier disparity in carriers. Had a game earlier where there were two Langleys versus one Bogue. The Langleys sent all their fighters against the Bogue's at the start of the game and did not kill a single plane.

I noticed something similar with ship AA vs planes. Specifically, in my tier VI Cleveland I could completely slaughter tier V planes, do good damage against tier VI and basically be unable to even scratch tier VII and up planes. It seems to be heavily hitpoint based and the tier level is very high.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Just had a great game in the Grem.

Replay link. It's a fun little ship if you get lucky with it! This was something like my fifth game in the thing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Already seeing tier 7 and 8 BBs in tier 5 games. GG Wargaming, GG.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Every round in this always feels like a runaway game. Win or lose, it never feels like there is a game that could go either way more then a minute or 2 in.
I think anyone that gives an enemy a First Blood medal more then twice a day should have their speed limited for the first 2 minutes of a game just to keep them from suiciding.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

Every round in this always feels like a runaway game. Win or lose, it never feels like there is a game that could go either way more then a minute or 2 in.
I think anyone that gives an enemy a First Blood medal more then twice a day should have their speed limited for the first 2 minutes of a game just to keep them from suiciding.
I think a large part of that is how difficult it is to avoid damage. Once a team has a ship/health deficit, it isn't like WoT where you can use armor, technique, etc to avoid a ton of damage and carry hard.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

cheese posted:

I think a large part of that is how difficult it is to avoid damage. Once a team has a ship/health deficit, it isn't like WoT where you can use armor, technique, etc to avoid a ton of damage and carry hard.

The correct way to avoid this of course is to put up a strong initial engagement formation in the right place at the right time and coordinate fire with pubbies *kills self*

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Jack_tripper posted:

file a ticket; they should refund it if you haven't spent any

I filed a ticket. I just wish I wouldn't have waited so long to decide between the Atlanta or the Atago. I thought there was no hurry but apparently I was wrong.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Clearly this is an indication that the p2w system simply. doesn't. Work. :colbert:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I love fighting these Atago's in my Kongo. As soon as they are within about 15km, they will start chasing you. Problem is that they are only about 3 knots faster than you and your AP shells just go right through them.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Personally, Its not that manual dropping is a problem, its that you can manual drop torps ridiculously close (under 1km), the change that increased the commit circle was useful so obviously they reverted that - and if you're in a battleship there's pretty much no way that you're not going to take at least 1 torp hit from someone who knows what they are doing.

This is of course assuming the best and that you've tried to dodge and they've only fully acted once your committed to turning a certain direction, otherwise you'd be getting hit by all of them. There's always counter play to CV's and ways to deal with torps in general, but you cant really do much against someone whos invested 15 minutes in watching a youtube video about manual torping. There's just no counter play to it which is what is frustrating.

Thankfully, most people are idiots (like myself) and can't do it, but when you run into it its extremely frustrating.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yep - just was able to log in and the Atago and Atlanta are gone from the in-game store. Ha ha...gently caress Wargaming.

Those fuckers. Guess that's what I get for waiting. Urge to play, diminishing, and it was already pretty low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Westminster System posted:

Personally, Its not that manual dropping is a problem, its that you can manual drop torps ridiculously close (under 1km), the change that increased the commit circle was useful so obviously they reverted that - and if you're in a battleship there's pretty much no way that you're not going to take at least 1 torp hit from someone who knows what they are doing.

This is of course assuming the best and that you've tried to dodge and they've only fully acted once your committed to turning a certain direction, otherwise you'd be getting hit by all of them. There's always counter play to CV's and ways to deal with torps in general, but you cant really do much against someone whos invested 15 minutes in watching a youtube video about manual torping. There's just no counter play to it which is what is frustrating.

Thankfully, most people are idiots (like myself) and can't do it, but when you run into it its extremely frustrating.
I think its the arming distance thing that feels cheap. This isn't a Minekaze taking 9km torp shots at you. These things appear about 3 seconds away from your ship, and I can't figure out any way to really dodge them. I turn into the oncoming bombers, but they usually just do a quarter turn adjust and then torps are on the way.

I think its the inevitability of it all. I see the bombers coming from 15km and I don't feel like there is much I can do other than try to make sure its only 2 or 3 that hit me and not all 6.