Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Goblin Screwdriver will finally reveal what a rigger is and what a contraption is

Goblin Screwdriver | 2
Artifact {Mythic}
1, T: Assemble target Contraption (You do not need a Rigger in play to activate this ability)

"..now where did I put that blasted thing?"
--Daretti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

apistat posted:

Goblin Screwdriver | 2
Artifact {Mythic}
1, T: Assemble target Contraption (You do not need a Rigger in play to activate this ability)

--Daretti

Holy poo poo, modern contraptions is going to be busted, I am speccing on steamflogger boss right now.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

apistat posted:

Goblin Screwdriver | 2
Artifact {Mythic}

--Daretti

Missing "flip a coin. If it comes up tails you take 2 damage"

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

What the ever living gently caress, why is Goryo's Vengeance $50 all of a sudden? I literally bought a playset not a month ago for $5 each.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Xaerael posted:

What the ever living gently caress, why is Goryo's Vengeance $50 all of a sudden? I literally bought a playset not a month ago for $5 each.

Some guys figured out how to make the deck not suck, and people are buying in

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

GeneX posted:

What does the deck look like? I've only seen the Narset/Omniscience one, I'm assuming it's not that, because that thing is totally unreliable (but admittedly fun).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GeneX posted:

yeah cheating is pretty sick tech

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Xaerael posted:

What does the deck look like? I've only seen the Narset/Omniscience one, I'm assuming it's not that, because that thing is totally unreliable (but admittedly fun).

Splice Goryo's Vengence onto Nourishing Shoal exiling a green fatty, giving you enough life to go wild with Griselbrand, finding your win con (chucking lands at your opponents face w/ some GR legendary). Bunch of other useful arcane instants give you a lot of flexibility and resiliency.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TheKingofSprings posted:

yeah cheating is pretty sick tech

???

Here's a deck tech on the thing for the guy who asked

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcmagic posted:

It didn't have to be about me. It was a lovely, unsubstantive post that didn't address the issue the thread was talking about.

LITERALLY A DESCRIPTION OF EVERY MCMAGIC POST.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Toshimo posted:

LITERALLY A DESCRIPTION OF EVERY MCMAGIC POST.

Would you guys shut up?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Isn't Goryo's going to be on the chopping block due to being too fast for modern?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zemyla posted:

A friend of mine posted a statistical analysis of the new mulligan rule on MTG Salvation:

[url=http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/615192-mothership-spoilers-6-29-two-cards-new-mulligan?page=7#c164]

tl;dr: In a Delver deck, the new rule improves the odds of getting a flipped turn 2 Delver by 3%, assuming the best-case scenario.

That's a bad way to look at it.

Going from 29% to 32% isn't a 3% change, it's a 10% change. And that's notable.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

Would you guys shut up?

Please ignore this post thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Reprint from M11

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Reprint from M11

Seems like a sweet sideboard card in Junk.

Can control ever actually beat this?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sultai Charm, depending on the colors?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not without taking 8 first.
Still dies to sweepers but that first hit's gonna be painful.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It doesn't trample. Elspeth Tokens can block it all day.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Abzan Charm also kills it.

UB control will have a tough time with it though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

It doesn't trample. Elspeth Tokens can block it all day.

Or Elspeth just murders it outright.

I think I'm just saying smoke Elspeth erryday.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Cool. I like Haste in green. 7 mana is also basically free in Gx devotion, so standard is going to be fun for a little bit.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Rinkles posted:

Sultai Charm is non-green.

It's also green, but also non-green.

Edit: Also Abzan Charm falls into this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Reminder that that card is a reprint that did less than nothing the first time. Not definitive proof that it won't see play the second time around, but pretty damning.

e: ^ Sultai charm is not non-green. Non-green means "is not green". Sultai charm is green.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rinkles posted:

Reprint from M11

Ha, I actually play this card already in my EDH deck. Mimeoplasm this and Death's Shadow is bad times for my opponents.

En Fuego posted:

Sultai Charm is non-green.

It's also green, but also non-green.

Edit: Also Abzan Charm falls into this.

I don't think you understand what non-Green means.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

Abzan Charm also kills it.

UB control will have a tough time with it though.

I mentioned Sultai Charm because UB control often plays the Sultai triland just for UB dual. But it's probably of too narrow a use to use up a sidebord slot/distort the mana.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

cheetah7071 posted:

Reminder that that card is a reprint that did less than nothing the first time. Not definitive proof that it won't see play the second time around, but pretty damning.

e: ^ Sultai charm is not non-green. Non-green means "is not green". Sultai charm is green.

Was there a 7 mana on turn 3/4 deck back then?

Legitimately asking, I played standard for about 2 months in RTR/THS.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Toshimo posted:

That's a bad way to look at it.

Going from 29% to 32% isn't a 3% change, it's a 10% change. And that's notable.
You can't really take percentages of percentages, it doesn't make sense. If probability worked like that, I could say the chances of not having the turn 2 flipped delver are 4% lower. But you can't say the chances of X went up 10% and the chances of (not X) went down 4%. That's not how probability works.

Besides, this deck was artificially created to be the least unrealistic deck that the mulligan rule change would effect. In the real world, Delver builds aren't 4 Delvers, 36 spells, and 20 lands. You've got things like Snapcaster and Monastery Mentor and Young Peezy and Taylor Swiftspear that could go in. And even if you did play just Delver, a 3% better chance of getting a turn 2 Delver does not equal a 3% better chance of winning.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Or Elspeth just murders it outright.

I think I'm just saying smoke Elspeth erryday.

Elspeth rotates out in 3 months, who gives a poo poo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I suspect the lack of trampling might doom it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It was also in a much, much stronger standard than the one we're in now.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

qbert posted:

Ha, I actually play this card already in my EDH deck. Mimeoplasm this and Death's Shadow is bad times for my opponents.

I don't think you understand what non-Green means.

This is where we argue.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I'm not sure how it was when this was legal last time but there's currently a deck that comfortably plays 7 drops early. Being able to just crack a control player (otherwise a bad matchup for Gx) for 8 unavoidable damage and then forcing a wrath seems very valuable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zemyla posted:

You can't really take percentages of percentages, it doesn't make sense. If probability worked like that, I could say the chances of not having the turn 2 flipped delver are 4% lower. But you can't say the chances of X went up 10% and the chances of (not X) went down 4%. That's not how probability works.

It actually does work that way. Percentages are always of something. the number of games with turn two flipped delver goes up by 3% of all games played, or by 10% of the previous number of games that had a turn 2 flip. Nothing wrong or disingenuous about either statement.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Don't nykthos and courser also rotate out, along with wayfinder and pretty much every last shred of green ramp that isn't Nissa, Borderland Ranger?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

En Fuego posted:

This is where we argue.

This isn't like an opinion thing. A card being multiple colors (one of them being green) does not by any definition make that card nongreen.

You can cast Abzan Charm targeting this creature and it will exile. There's no debate.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zemyla posted:

You can't really take percentages of percentages, it doesn't make sense.

It absolutely works that way. If it doesn't make sense to you, go read up on probabilities.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The context here is Super Standard with Nykthos. How is Elspeth not 100% the most relevant thing since she rotates with Nykthos?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gaea's Revenge didn't see play with ramp as good as Harrow and Cultivate. It's just a big dumb beater. Maybe it'll see play as a sideboard against UB control.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

Was there a 7 mana on turn 3/4 deck back then?

Legitimately asking, I played standard for about 2 months in RTR/THS.

It was a sideboard card in Valakut decks meant to get around Jace, the Mind Sculptor and beat his head in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

En Fuego posted:

This is where we argue.

I am sorry, you are wrong. A card is either green or not green. Abzan Charm is green. It is also Black and White but that doesn't stop it from being green.

• Locked thread