Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ChrisHansen posted:

The renegade also blew off the techpriest's gun/arm as he was trying to take out a traitor marine in close combat. My character had a bad time. Luckily he got smacked with a glow worm before he was curb stomped.

You guys are so lucky I rolled so well on those make-us-crazy checks AND had glow worms I wanted to test the effects of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gaghskull posted:

This week in BLACK CRUSADE:black101:, the party made a bad, terrible decision. The Tyrant Star appeared over Dusk as the players retrieved one of the crystals they needed. They decided to GET CLOSER TO THE STAR OF MAKING TERRIBLE THINGS HAPPENING. As they approached, some of the players started hearing voices in their heads. The sorcerer realized they the Tyrant Star itself was some sort of psychic being and it was trying to connect with the heretics.

Unfortunately, it was making most of the non-psychic party members paranoid, and (more) insane. Thus began an inter-party beat down with the apostate trying to subdue the renegade and the heretek before they killed everyone. The renegade also managed to fling a hallucinogenic grenade so poorly it went off at his feet. He started seeing terrible xenos entities coming through the walls and fired his inferno pistol randomly. In the crossfire, one of the apostate minions was incinerated, yet overall the situation managed to get contained by the apostate and his minions rubbing the glow worms from Dusk with their paralyzing secretions on the other heretics. The sorcerer decided that perhaps trying to close with the giant xenos psychic entity was not the best decision, and ate the pilot's brains so he could turn the thing around.

Now they are headed off into the Screaming Vortex. The daemonhost friend that the players haven't seen in literal months (both in game and actual game sessions) popped back up again to tell them that Ahmazzi is not what he appears. Oh well, I'm sure it's nothing.

I'm actually OK that I wasn't there since I now have Wind of Chaos. Had I gone insane, TPK with a Wind of Chaos Pushed to 13.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

goatface posted:

We don't have a WFRP thread, do we? I just bought a hardback copy of the 2e core book for a pound from a church sale. Looks like it's never been used.

It's a really sound system, but it's hard to figure out what to do with it. If you use the setting as is, you're kinda circumscribed by the world itself. It's really hard to surprise characters that have lasted an encounter or two with Chaos stuff, because Fantasy just isn't as over the top/metal as 40k. So if you throw out a Chaos warrior mounted on a mutated horse that's going to trample your whole party into the ground, probably without breaking a sweat.

It's great for dicking around and character generation is really fun, but you don't really do standard dungeon crawls. The adventure "The Thousand Thrones" is really top-notch though, if you can snag a copy your players will have a great time. My groups have played it a bunch, it's perfect for filler campaigns for a month or two while the next serious GM/DM is figuring out what they want to do. Do yourself a favor and don't stick to the established continuity, throw people into the Border Princes if you've got people who are really worried about lore consistency.

If you can snag a copy of the chaos book, the magic book, or the faith book it'll increase your options for giving minor power boons enormously without accidentally breaking your game. If you're going to run it core-book only, do yourself a favor and game out a combat or two, including ambushes and what you want your PCs fighting. Five wolves can be lethal to four first job characters, especially if they all ended up with a cerebral job. If your players haven't gamed before, point out the benefits of staffs and defensive fighting, that kind of thing.

I can't think of a better place to talk about it than here, it's only going to be a few people and it's effectively a subset of 40k anyways, so.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Peztopiary posted:

It's a really sound system, but it's hard to figure out what to do with it. If you use the setting as is, you're kinda circumscribed by the world itself. It's really hard to surprise characters that have lasted an encounter or two with Chaos stuff, because Fantasy just isn't as over the top/metal as 40k. So if you throw out a Chaos warrior mounted on a mutated horse that's going to trample your whole party into the ground, probably without breaking a sweat.

It's great for dicking around and character generation is really fun, but you don't really do standard dungeon crawls. The adventure "The Thousand Thrones" is really top-notch though, if you can snag a copy your players will have a great time. My groups have played it a bunch, it's perfect for filler campaigns for a month or two while the next serious GM/DM is figuring out what they want to do. Do yourself a favor and don't stick to the established continuity, throw people into the Border Princes if you've got people who are really worried about lore consistency.

If you can snag a copy of the chaos book, the magic book, or the faith book it'll increase your options for giving minor power boons enormously without accidentally breaking your game. If you're going to run it core-book only, do yourself a favor and game out a combat or two, including ambushes and what you want your PCs fighting. Five wolves can be lethal to four first job characters, especially if they all ended up with a cerebral job. If your players haven't gamed before, point out the benefits of staffs and defensive fighting, that kind of thing.

I can't think of a better place to talk about it than here, it's only going to be a few people and it's effectively a subset of 40k anyways, so.

This. Also, don't be afraid to start characters at a higher level of career progression from the get-go if you want a somewhat interesting power level.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
This week in BLACK CRUSADE!:black101:, the heretics arrived at the world of Piridius, searching for the warlord Ahmazzi who might have one of the crystals they need to get their space station up to full power. When they arrive, they go through a massive debris field of a recent space battle and then arrive at the planet. The only clue they have to the identities of the ships in orbit are the massive symbols of Khorne upon the prows of the ships. After some negotiating with the crews, and some (sort of?) lies about being here to sell new horrible weapons to kill people with, the heretics are allowed to land on the planet.

The cities are still burning, people still piling corpses onto the mounds, and of course Ahmazzi being a warlord, is in the biggest building in the biggest city sitting on the biggest throne made of skulls and bones that the group has ever seen. There, they engage in more negotiations, trying to avoid pissing off the giant man. This resulted in a live demonstration with one of the Apostate's minions using the newly made "weapon" in live combat against Ahmazzi's guards. In what would be a recurring theme this session, the minion clowned on the guards and killed them both without even getting hit.

The demonstration over, they moved over to haggling over price. The sorcerer decided to cut to the chase and make the bluntest least subtle approach. "WE WANT THE CRYSTAL IN YOUR AXE". This did not make the warlord happy and he jumped up to remove the character's head. What I had planned is maybe a duel 1v1 in the pit of death. I of course forgot the players exist in their own bizarre universe of "gently caress it". EVERYONE jumped in the pit and what would have been a single duel turned into a mass brawl as the warlord, his guards, the heretics, and their minions began trying to kill the poo poo out of each other.

The players rolled very, very well, and I rolled very, very poorly. And what I was hoping would cause a player to go down resulted in only 2 players taking hits. During the fight, Ahmazzi went down while the apostate was in the bathroom. The evidence given indicated that something was not right with the axe. Of course, the apostate had no idea about this and ordered his minion to grab the axe once the players had killed everyone.

Next time: We resolve tests of willpower vs possession. It's going to be fun (for me).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gaghskull posted:

This week in BLACK CRUSADE!:black101:, the heretics arrived at the world of Piridius, searching for the warlord Ahmazzi who might have one of the crystals they need to get their space station up to full power. When they arrive, they go through a massive debris field of a recent space battle and then arrive at the planet. The only clue they have to the identities of the ships in orbit are the massive symbols of Khorne upon the prows of the ships. After some negotiating with the crews, and some (sort of?) lies about being here to sell new horrible weapons to kill people with, the heretics are allowed to land on the planet.

The cities are still burning, people still piling corpses onto the mounds, and of course Ahmazzi being a warlord, is in the biggest building in the biggest city sitting on the biggest throne made of skulls and bones that the group has ever seen. There, they engage in more negotiations, trying to avoid pissing off the giant man. This resulted in a live demonstration with one of the Apostate's minions using the newly made "weapon" in live combat against Ahmazzi's guards. In what would be a recurring theme this session, the minion clowned on the guards and killed them both without even getting hit.

The demonstration over, they moved over to haggling over price. The sorcerer decided to cut to the chase and make the bluntest least subtle approach. "WE WANT THE CRYSTAL IN YOUR AXE". This did not make the warlord happy and he jumped up to remove the character's head. What I had planned is maybe a duel 1v1 in the pit of death. I of course forgot the players exist in their own bizarre universe of "gently caress it". EVERYONE jumped in the pit and what would have been a single duel turned into a mass brawl as the warlord, his guards, the heretics, and their minions began trying to kill the poo poo out of each other.

The players rolled very, very well, and I rolled very, very poorly. And what I was hoping would cause a player to go down resulted in only 2 players taking hits. During the fight, Ahmazzi went down while the apostate was in the bathroom. The evidence given indicated that something was not right with the axe. Of course, the apostate had no idea about this and ordered his minion to grab the axe once the players had killed everyone.

Next time: We resolve tests of willpower vs possession. It's going to be fun (for me).

Goddamnit life is making me miss these awesome sessions (but I missed it for a good cause)!

It would've been really fun had I been there, being that Khornates tend to hate Tzeentchian Psykers and have a "hack off head on sight" policy towards them.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Yup, that sounds like chaos alright.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As the Apostate in question, I was making FANTASTIC progress in securing us rich payment and hordes of helpers for future conquests except drat drat Sorcerer just couldn't keep his mouth shut. I even blew every infamy point I had within the first hour rerolling to ensure that the path to the crystal and riches I had in mind was secure

Literally all I can do is talk and make potent drugs and drug delivery systems goddamnit LET ME DO THE TALKING.

As a cowardly apostate of course I did NOT jump in the pit, but rather paced around the edge, yelling angry but ignored implications that the barbarians were just pawing at the earth simply giving the Emperor more power and harming the furtherance of chaos BUT I MAY AS WELL HAVE BEEN PISSING IN THE WIND

Worth noting, my minion that slew 2 guards without suffering so much as a scratch managed to kill like 3 more and do a ton of damage to the bossman before falling, due in large part to the fact that the ENTIRE party refused to aid him because they'd suffer a -20 to rolls if they attacked one of the THREE GUARDS AND BOSS that he was engaged with for probably 3/4 of the fight. This is worth noting of course, because I have devised new methods of covertly delivering my horrendously mutagenic berserker compounds (also my new favorite, the P.E.L aka Paralyzing Exploding Liquid that does exactly what it says on the tin) and I will not forget this gross betrayal of the warrior who put them all to shame. My own lab assistant and confidant chose instead to attack a guard who was not only blinded, but on the far edge of the map from any combat! Scandalous.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I would probably buy dark heresy 2nd but I own all the supplements for the first one and as I understand the character stuff will be pretty much useless.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

DH2 is the culmination of the games' rules slowly getting better, imo, and is worth it for that even if you use it for something other than a straight inquisition cell game.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Fsmhunk posted:

I would probably buy dark heresy 2nd but I own all the supplements for the first one and as I understand the character stuff will be pretty much useless.

All of the materials I have from 1st are VERY easily transferable to 2nd. I've even run NPCs and enemies straight out of 1st Ed books without any conversion work and there was no problems and nothing noticeably awry. Even most gear and weapons can be easily dropped in, minus checking traits and special rules for the more bizarre gear.

2nd Ed is a really nice refinement and just the new character/leveling system alone is worth it for saving your players some headaches. Sure, you lose some of the packages, etc. from 1st, but there's nothing to say that you can't accomplish the same narrative outcome with the 2nd Ed mechanics.

It's a pretty elegant system now.

I also just wanted to add that I've actually run part of my 2nd Ed campaign in the Calixis sector to lean on all of the great materials already put out for 1st Ed. So if you're worried about setting, nothing in 2nd invalidates any of the narrative from the books you already own.

Lastly, who else is exited for Enemies Without? If only they'd announce the drat thing...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Tias posted:

This. Also, don't be afraid to start characters at a higher level of career progression from the get-go if you want a somewhat interesting power level.

My group have been playing WFRP 2nd on and off since it came out. We decided almost immediatley to start our new campaign with PC's having finished their first career and just at the start of a second. It actually gave them some half-decent skills and ratings and made the game more fun at the start. YMMV of course.

You also can of course ignore the usual campaign world entirely. I've run a game set in the 17th Century English Civil War and it handles that sort of Musket and Rapier style perfectly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

This is worth noting of course, because I have devised new methods of covertly delivering my horrendously mutagenic berserker compounds (also my new favorite, the P.E.L aka Paralyzing Exploding Liquid that does exactly what it says on the tin)

Is that an exploding liquid that makes you paralysed or a paralysing liquid that makes you explode?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Is that an exploding liquid that makes you paralysed or a paralysing liquid that makes you explode?

Strictly speaking it's a liquid that paralyzes you, and while paralyzed you erupt almost immediately in inextinguishable flames. I tested this quite thoroughly on a crewman who grabbed a tainted door knob so we know it's transdermal in addition to all the other great things it does.

I also have the means to mass produce it, and deliver it (along with any of my other retinue of insanely potent mutagenic/hallucinogenic drugs) via nanobot swarm. I also may or may not be developing a grey goo grenade

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

Strictly speaking it's a liquid that paralyzes you, and while paralyzed you erupt almost immediately in inextinguishable flames. I tested this quite thoroughly on a crewman who grabbed a tainted door knob so we know it's transdermal in addition to all the other great things it does.

I also have the means to mass produce it, and deliver it (along with any of my other retinue of insanely potent mutagenic/hallucinogenic drugs) via nanobot swarm. I also may or may not be developing a grey goo grenade

To clarify, the first test of this liquid was literally someone saying "Let's smear some of it on a doorknob and wait for a crewman to touch it"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

So they don't actually explode and wound everyone nearby with bone shrapnel, contaminating them with the drug?

That would be a good feature to put into a berserker drug actually. As your minion is finally brought down he explodes, injuring everyone nearby and getting his blood all over them. This in turn sends them berserk and they start fighting among themselves, until they explode. Probably no third wave though because the concentration isn't high enough anymore.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

So they don't actually explode and wound everyone nearby with bone shrapnel, contaminating them with the drug?

That would be a good feature to put into a berserker drug actually. As your minion is finally brought down he explodes, injuring everyone nearby and getting his blood all over them. This in turn sends them berserk and they start fighting among themselves, until they explode. Probably no third wave though because the concentration isn't high enough anymore.

Once I make a berserk drug that's transdermal this is the plan, although the delivery system I'm thinking is something more akin to just having a chainblade that runs through a reservoir of it, thus spraying it everywhere every time it revs and delivering a whole bunch to anybody who takes damage from the weapon.

I was originally going to be a silver tongued bastard but I kinda fell into being a Mad Chymist and boy howdy has it proven to be a lot of fun so far

I do have a "disposable" minion, which is literally a servo-skull with a bunch of flashlights and sensors and crap jammed in/taped on. I could turn him into a berserk drug grenade!

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
So, if I wanted to run a game in the 40k setting but didn't want to deal with FFG's mechanics, what kind of systems are available? Is there a PbtA hack or something?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Cyberpunk 2020 is pretty hysterical but I wouldn't call it or any other game as good at doing 40k as 40k does

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Combat in FFG games works pretty well. I guess you could run it in Fate or D&D (any flavor really) but d100 is a pretty useful system for 40k.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

FFG 40k is no joke my favorite system. My group has been using it for what like seven years, for all kinds of settings (but mostly 40k)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

FATE (or Atomic Robo, a FATE variant) seems to be the best solution if you want to ham it up. It encourages a lot more creativity and slapstick... but you might have to rein your players back a little bit.

*mumbles something about the all-Felid party being a pain to deal with*

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FireSight posted:

Just have some Guardsmen turn the output on their lasguns way down.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

FireSight posted:

FATE (or Atomic Robo, a FATE variant) seems to be the best solution if you want to ham it up. It encourages a lot more creativity and slapstick... but you might have to rein your players back a little bit.

Oh come on, it's Black Crusade, it's not like we need to not be mutants.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Peztopiary posted:

Combat in FFG games works pretty well. I guess you could run it in Fate or D&D (any flavor really) but d100 is a pretty useful system for 40k.

Did they fix the burst weapon rules inthe newer versions?

I picked up the Deathwatch RPG when it came out and we gave it a go. I remember autofire weapons being horribly time-consuming. 'Ok, it's the guy with the Heavy Bolters turn, everybody else take 5'.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

So, if I wanted to run a game in the 40k setting but didn't want to deal with FFG's mechanics, what kind of systems are available? Is there a PbtA hack or something?

I don't think you can get a good answer to this without knowing what you don't like about FFGs mechanics. What bothers you/doesn't work? Beyond that you can bludgeon most systems into representing a different setting, so just pick your favorite that isn't crazy high magic I guess.

Edit: I changed my mind, the correct answer is actually Paranoia.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 1, 2015

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

There's a game about to come out called Mutant Chronicles that was designed by the guy who did FFG's Edge of the Empire (a great system) that might fit the bill. I'm cautiously optimistic.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Did they fix the burst weapon rules inthe newer versions?

I picked up the Deathwatch RPG when it came out and we gave it a go. I remember autofire weapons being horribly time-consuming. 'Ok, it's the guy with the Heavy Bolters turn, everybody else take 5'.
Sort of. Semi-auto and full-auto still get extra hits from every two or every one additional DoS, respectively, but now semi-auto is at +0 (down from +10) and full-auto is at -10 (down from +20). Thus you can still get a crazy full-auto burst, but you'll need help lining up the shot first.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I don't think you can get a good answer to this without knowing what you don't like about FFGs mechanics. What bothers you/doesn't work? Beyond that you can bludgeon most systems into representing a different setting, so just pick your favorite that isn't crazy high magic I guess.

Edit: I changed my mind, the correct answer is actually Paranoia.

I kind of don't know myself? Like, I want to say I don't like how rules-heavy it is, but D&D 4e is one of my favourite systems so I don't think it's that. I know I don't like how long the skill list is, how many character options seem devoted to handling minute edge cases, how you get so many advancements that don't feel especially meaningful...

I was reading the books to try to get a handle on it but the only thing that came to mind is "rules cruft". I don't know if I'm using it right but it's the impression that I got. Maybe it's the fact there's no tools like the Compendium out? I imagine trying to run 4e without the online tools would be just as difficult.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm not sure if I did my math right, but I was poking around with the creating new mounts rules on page 142 of Hammer of the Emperor and I think I came up with a mount that can run faster than a DEldar jetbike.
Max out to Agility to 60, give it Wiry and Unnatural Agility (2) to boost the Agility Bonus to 10, +1 for Size to 11, then give it Quadraped to double it to 22, and then Sprint. So it can run along at 132 meters/round, or if it feels like moving fast, 264 meters/round. Give it a shot of Slaught to redline it to 168/336. If you boost its size to Enormous, it's a bigger target, but it should reach speeds of 180/360.

A Reaver Jetbike can Floor It and hit a blistering...63 meters/round.

I'm pretty sure that the mount is pretty much teleporting around the battlefield, given that the rider can Sidestep attacks at Survival+30, or Evasively Ride at +50.

I was thinking about running a Techpriest rally car game, where you're a bunch of broke rear end techpriests trying to get in the big leagues for Death Rally, but I'm kinda bored with Techpriests for now. Too slow. I'd rather to do a Dragon-riding Death Worlder game. Death Worlders who can out-Bront the Brontian Longknives. I'm pretty sure a bunch of oiled-up bodybuilders riding cyborg dragons to slice up evil jetbiker elves is about as 40K as it gets.
The raids of the pernicious Dark Eldar are exacting a heavy toll on the forces of the Crusade. A situation this desperate calls for a radical solution. Crusade command is putting together a pursuit force to hunt down these raiders. They've put out a call for the mighty Dragon Riders!

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I know with a few driving talents Tauros' can go faster than raiders, which allows the unusual situation of a Guard high speed chase scene.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

I know with a few driving talents Tauros' can go faster than raiders, which allows the unusual situation of a Guard high speed chase scene.

And then the GM takes the Tauros away.

I might be a little traumatized.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

KSAF does not represent all FFG GMs in the way that Micheal Vick does not represent dog owners.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

KSAF does not represent all FFG GMs in the way that Micheal Vick does not represent dog owners.

lol

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I've got a Rough Rider Regiment from a Death World, with Primitive and and Cyber-Enhanced, but I kind of at a lost as to what a good doctrine to round out the regiment would be. Combat Drugs?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

I was reading the Nurgle Black Crusade book and came across this. It's the most 40k thing ever. It's a death barrel, in case your players weren't taking inanimate objects seriously enough as they romped through the Warp.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Clanpot Shake posted:

There's a game about to come out called Mutant Chronicles that was designed by the guy who did FFG's Edge of the Empire (a great system) that might fit the bill. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Is this related to the Ron Pearlman movie? I have some vague recollection of a line of miniatures too

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ChrisHansen posted:

Is this related to the Ron Pearlman movie? I have some vague recollection of a line of miniatures too

Had to look this up but looks like it, yeah. It's all old franchise that I had never heard of til I heard about the new rpg edition.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Just a heads up for goons heading to Gencon, Tim Huckelbery (lead on the 40k RPGs) is planning a fan breakfast:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/181859-gencon-breakfast/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Enentol posted:

Just a heads up for goons heading to Gencon, Tim Huckelbery (lead on the 40k RPGs) is planning a fan breakfast:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/181859-gencon-breakfast/

Tim is a cool guy and I recommend doing this if you can.