Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can't wait to see Josuke counter Karrera's stand via making her grow a full beard or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, I powered through that scanslation like a couple months ago. It got the gist across well enough, and enough of the characters shone through in the art for me to still enjoy the read, but man. I'm still not totally clear on what the Big Bad's stand power actually was, though, which is a pretty major strike against the translation.
i feel like his power was pretty simple to understand, more so than GER. also why wasn't GER born when black sabbath stabbed him with the arrow in the beginning?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Something something, Araki didn't figure out Requiem stands yet, something something, Giorno didn't have the willpower for GE to become Requiem. :shrug:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The funny thing is, in any other manga Jolyne's default design would be weird fanservice.

Except it's Jojo and everyone else is drawn wearing things that are like ten times more revealing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

minoru suzuki posted:

i feel like his power was pretty simple to understand, more so than GER. also why wasn't GER born when black sabbath stabbed him with the arrow in the beginning?

Pretty much a plot hole, plain and simple. They happen, especially when you're writing the particulars of a work week by week. I'd assume the anime would do something to spackle out that particular one.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

minoru suzuki posted:

The stand user themself has to stab their stand to transform it into a requiem stand.

Probably.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So I just finished reading part IV of Jojo and I really enjoyed it, more than Part 3, I think, though its maybe a little close to judge (plus, I experienced Part 3 over like a year and I read all of Part 4 in a day.) This may be a little all over the place, since I'm just gonna write stuff as it comes to me.

I think Josuke was a better realised protagonist than Jotaro was, or at least, he was far more likeable He comes off as a lot more unsure of himself, and as a really nice guy. Jotaro comments early on that Stands reflect the user and are often violent and destructive, whereas Josuke's stand is a healing Stand. Thinking on that detail, I remember how Josuke's Stand repairs stuff flawed when he is angry, which I suppose supports that, since, well, he isn't feeling super charitable I suppose, when someone makes fun of his hair. For all he's unsure sometimes, he's still a stone-cold badass when he needs to be, and he's got the classic Jojo resourcefulness down. I think one of my favourite moments is in Highway Star (which I really liked), when Josuke is about to hit a baby carriage while on a motorbike, so he smashes the bike, careens wildly through the air, then reassembles the bike once he passes the baby. Amazing.

Araki does a really good job with the tone too, it everything feels a lot more personal and relatable. It's not a bunch of people jetsetting with a rich tycoon to fight a hundred year old vampire, it's just people dealing with problems affecting their small town, but he avoids turning it into boring slice-of-life by keeping the conflicts tense and with real danger in them. Araki also got some great milage once he made his protagonist's stand a healing Stand, it let him get real loving brutal with some of the outright bodyhorror poo poo that he likes to do sometimes. It also avoids making the story the Josuke show, all of the side characters get (to varying degrees) time to shine, with entire stories focusing around side characters and allies. We even got a whole arc that was Kira trying to fight an evil plant! I think Kira was a pretty good villain also, well realised precisely because we saw so much of him, he felt more like a real person with real, if evil, motivations. Dio was cool, and Dio's World was incredible, but he came across as just an evil force in Part 3 than a character. Kira was a real human being, and his evil was way more terrifying because of it.

A lot of shounen manga has the thing where old antagonists become allies, and Jojo till now has had the same but it really kicks into gear in Part 4. It's good because it feels like Josuke in particular is making a concentrated effort to understand and help people, not just punch them. Like, there are great moments in part 3 where the protagonists are hilariously cruel to their foes (and I remember a scene in Highway Star where Josuke, inadvertently, ruins two people's lives by stealing their cell phones at a crucial time) but it fits way better with Josuke's personality that most all of the enemies end up having a normal life after. In Highway Star, I actually thought that Josuke would just go to the hospital and heal the dude and that would be the resolution (which leads to a great scene later.)

The character interactions were good all round I think, Okuyasu and Josuke are constantly hanging out, and they really do come across as good friends. And Rohan and Josuke's interactions are all solid gold. Koichi really fills the role as a kind of "normal dude" who is just thrown into this situation. Araki does a good job of not using Jotaro as a mentor, very few times in the series does he ever just THE WORLD his way into solving every problem, and for most of the story, in fact, he doesn't do much at all, but he still helps save the day in the very end. The italian food chapters were hysterical, since it ended up just being totally legit. It was nice to see not everyone who isn't a Joestar who gets a Stand ends up turning into a loving fruit-loop. And the tension before the reveal is just great, all the effects are proper Araki body horror, and you even have a dog there in the cage, just waiting to get killed.

Couple of things. I was kind of sad to see Joseph get all old and senile, since he was a really healthy dude like ten years before and had the Ripple I was sure he was faking for a while, since he was more frail at 79 than my own grandfather was and he wasn't fighting punchghosts back in 2001 thats for drat sure. Hit a little close to home right now, I guess. Speaking of Grandpas, Josuke's reaction to his grandfather being killed and being unable to heal him was solid. Really let you feel the heart of Josuke's character.

I expected Josuke's backstory to crop up again. The dude who put his jacket down to rescue Josuke as a kid, him being in a fight made me sure that that was going to end up as some important backstory for Kira or another Stand at some point, but it never came up. i guess it was just to make him even more disadvantaged, making his helping even more selfless. Kira's numerous stand powers aren't super thematically coherent, I know that Araki is just making everything up because it's a story but with Killer Queen it's a little transparent at times. That being said, Sheer Heart Attack and Bites the Dust only came up once each, so when in an actual fight, Kira essentially only had his bomb powers, so it ends up fine.

No way that fucker is an alien.

The end felt a little like the protagonists didn't really do much when it came to actually discovering Kira in the end, he just kind of fell into their laps due to Bites the Dust, so the ending of the story seemed a little... abrupt? That being said, the kid without even a stand of his own trying to finagle a way to outwit the hellish groundhog day scenario he found himself in was great. The bathroom scene between the kid and Kira was just loving uncomfortable, Jesus. The suddenness of Kira killing two of the protagonist's allies was just great, a real gut punch. kira is framed as the perspective character as well when Shigechi died so it felt really... visceral I guess. The way Kira is just hit by an ambulance and dies, with all the characters standing around dumbfounded is a perfect end, really, as mundane and out of the blue as Kira's murders themselves were.

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff. Part 4 is real loving good, you guys.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From all indication, Joseph stops being senile at the end of Part IV after he and Suzie Q get into another fight over the Invisible Baby.

Prison Warden posted:

In Highway Star, I actually thought that Josuke would just go to the hospital and heal the dude and that would be the resolution.

You weren't wrong. :getin:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I actually think Joseph got significantly less senile after finding Shizuka at all, and was basically just a normal guy after adopting her. All of his appearances from that point on have it never come up at all anyway. Basically it was just a thing for Red Hot Chili Peppers and the start of We Found Something Dangerous.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He was just playing a trick. :(

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

From all indication, Joseph stops being senile at the end of Part IV after he and Suzie Q get into another fight over the Invisible Baby.

You weren't wrong. :getin:

So he was acting senile just long enough for Suzie Q to stop being mad at him for cheating on her. Or at least for the one time she caught him cheating on her. He travels a lot.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Okay so I finished Part 6: Stone Ocean. And it got really weird; time reset stuff is mind boggling.
Or maybe just when the cast got killed (!) but then were reincarnated at the end(!?) someone explain how it worked?

Also Emporio the best or The Best?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how Pucci is not only the only villain to kill anyone in Part VI, but kills EVERYONE. Except Emporio.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Basically, Pucci was making time go so fast, it looped back over itself in a cycle, trying to create a universe where there were no surprises. Since Emporio killed him during one of the cycles, the universe didn't turn out exactly the same and the Joestar bloodline was never cursed to misery.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
But wasn't the cast exempted from reincarnation because ____They Dead before reset____ Or am i just reading into it way too much?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't remember, honestly. I think?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Prison Warden posted:

I think Josuke was a better realised protagonist than Jotaro was, or at least, he was far more likeable He comes off as a lot more unsure of himself, and as a really nice guy. Jotaro comments early on that Stands reflect the user and are often violent and destructive, whereas Josuke's stand is a healing Stand. Thinking on that detail, I remember how Josuke's Stand repairs stuff flawed when he is angry, which I suppose supports that, since, well, he isn't feeling super charitable I suppose, when someone makes fun of his hair. For all he's unsure sometimes, he's still a stone-cold badass when he needs to be, and he's got the classic Jojo resourcefulness down. I think one of my favourite moments is in Highway Star (which I really liked), when Josuke is about to hit a baby carriage while on a motorbike, so he smashes the bike, careens wildly through the air, then reassembles the bike once he passes the baby. Amazing.

I loved how that was shown in his stand with the hearts design, especially when you compare it to The World. You can totally take the hearts off of The World and it would look pretty much the same, for instance, but Crazy Diamond is pretty much made entirely of heart shapes and taking that away would make him look completely different.

I also really liked how Jotaro tried to make sincere, if kind of clumsy, efforts to tell Josuke and Koichi and whoever else how awesome and good and perfect they are. He probably laid it on a little thick, but considering what happened to his friends in Stardust Crusaders...

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Wild Horses posted:

But wasn't the cast exempted from reincarnation because ____They Dead before reset____ Or am i just reading into it way too much?

Yeah, basically. With the off-names and references to pre-reset events , they're alternate universe counterparts that get to live happily and such.
I also finished Part 6 recently. Been liking Part 7 so far.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

I think the idea was that because he killed them before the reset and was specifically attempting to recreate the current world through time jumping to the next statistically similar world, that they would not exist in that statistically similar world. However, because things got hosed up by emporio killing pucci, it ended up fast forwarding everybody to just the next suitable world regardless of whether it was statistically similar or not.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Dragonatrix posted:

I actually think Joseph got significantly less senile after finding Shizuka at all, and was basically just a normal guy after adopting her. All of his appearances from that point on have it never come up at all anyway. Basically it was just a thing for Red Hot Chili Peppers and the start of We Found Something Dangerous.

I like to think that if you give Joseph a child, it makes him genuinely happy or gives him more power and that's why he's still alive in 2011.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jotaro is the best nephew uncle and Josuke is the best uncle nephew.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Basically Pucci's reset works by actually fast-forwarding time because the universe is cyclical or whatever, but because it is cyclical only souls that survived the fast-forward are also in Pucci's new universe and anyone who died gets a replacement to fill in the holes.

However for Pucci's reset/fast-forward to be complete it needs make a full circle, i.e. get to Cape Canaveral. He dies after that, nothing happens and his plan still succeeded. He dies before however, and basically his reset gets reset and the universe goes back to a previous version but re-arranged around Pucci basically now being wiped out from existence or whatever so everyone he killed is back and not hosed up by his plans. Also they have different names because Araki wanted to reference and older manga of his or something? I don't know.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As an aside from her being purposefully out of character for that fight, how do you complain to someone that they say your panties if you didn't wear them?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just realised that if you look on the back of the Viz volume 11 of SDC (D'Arby the Gambler) the art is almost definitely from around the end of Part 4 onwards and actually has DIO's face on it.

Strange!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

RIP Waldo, ran over by Senator Phillips.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

a cartoon duck posted:

Also they have different names because Araki wanted to reference and older manga of his or something? I don't know.

The reason Jolyne becomes Irene, I think, is that since Pucci is gone, she doesn't need to fight, so she's no longer a JoJo. The universe knows.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sure I saw an interview with an Araki Said™ that the Irene name was simply just for fun. He's very self referential, after all.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Best Girl posted:

Josefumi sounds a bit similar to Joseph which I think is Josefu in Japanese. I wonder if that means anything.

Not sure if this has been pointed out before but one thing to note about Josefumi's name is it's actually a fusion of 3 JoJos. His Kūjō is identical to Jōtarō's last name, the "Josefu" in his name is phonetically identical to Joseph, and the Jo in Josefumi is written with the same kanji as the Jō in part 4's Jōsuke

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just do Us and Os, we don't need the special characters, thank you.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Just do Us and Os, we don't need the special characters, thank you.

But without them you might end up pronouncing it jaw-sef-ummy!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You mean Ho-say-fu-me isn't the correct pronunciation?

I'm still going to call him Jose Joestar (America's other Jojo)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

As an aside from her being purposefully out of character for that fight, how do you complain to someone that they say your panties if you didn't wear them?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Oh please let this be a real alien in part 4. This manga wasn't bizarre enough already.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

:iiam:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's an alien with the Stand Earth, Wind and Fire but because he's an alien with an alien stand, it doesn't abide by earth stand rules so he can't see CD.

Maybe.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Mikitaka: "I am an alien. My unique physiology allows me to take the form of anything I wish."

Josuke: "We must swindle Rohan."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Mikitaka: "I am an alien. My unique physiology allows me to take the form of anything I wish."

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I would like to thank Kaiji for preparing me for that chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Truly Josuke is his father's son.

My favorite part of the "I'm an Alien!" arc is when they first meet him and Mikitaka eats the tissues he's given and Josuke looks pretty dumbfounded but he's still a Joestar so it comes across as mild surprise while Oku has that small, confused smile on his face that he gets when he's confronted with things he doesn't understand.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 30, 2015