Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm actually really loving hype for the tour. First week should actually be really fun as the sprinters and classic guys fight it out for the few stages available to them and fingers crossed all the climbers stay upright to give us an awesome second two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
One of the rational reasons to hate Sky is because the SkyTrain made the racing comparatively boring for two years.
But hey, any reason is good enough.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lung snails can't melt steel spokes

or something

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Anyone else get sweaty watching stage finishes?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I sleep through sprint stages and ask the missus to wake me up for the mountains/cobbles/etc.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Premature ejacula- posted:

One of the rational reasons to hate Sky is because the SkyTrain made the racing comparatively boring for two years.
But hey, any reason is good enough.

Good thing another team has stepped up and we've got the Sky Blue train now.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
please win the tour Thibault Pinot

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Romain Bardet would be better, actually.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

nationalism demands that i root for bmc, trek factory, and cannondale-garmin, so being on the poop-on-sky bandwagon is fine with me

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Macasaurus posted:

he's 5'9" according to his wiki page

lol

Phinney officially 6'5" with the afro 6'9"

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

he1ixx posted:

New to watching pro cycling and confused as to why people hate so badly on Froome. Plz advise.

No good reason. Chris Froome is a generally likable guy who grew up with a bunch of black people in Africa. He has a very ugly, but effective riding style. He is not a great bike handler and seems to crash a lot. But this only adds to his charm.

If you are gonna be a hater, there are better places to start.

Namely:

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
I don't get the outright hate for the guy. That said I don't particularly like him - his riding style is boring as hell. Even with his past I would rather watch Contador all day attacking like a crazy person and animating the race, or Nibali tearing rear end down a descent to gap the competition. Those guys make races exciting.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Jamsque posted:

That team selection just seems weird to me. After how the Giro went you would expect them to bring more mountain helpers for Contador but instead they brought Bennati to lead out Sagan, which seems pointless since he'll be against Cav, Kristoff and Greipel in the flat sprints and Bennati won't make it to the final with Sagan on the tougher days. On top of that five of their nine riders (i.e. all of their climbers including Contador) did the Giro this year.

Sagan better go ham and win a bunch of stages and the points jersey because it doesn't look great for Alberto.

Sagan is gonna be an awesome domestique for Bertie, he can climb and do it all

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

VacaGrande posted:

I don't get the outright hate for the guy. That said I don't particularly like him - his riding style is boring as hell. Even with his past I would rather watch Contador all day attacking like a crazy person and animating the race, or Nibali tearing rear end down a descent to gap the competition. Those guys make races exciting.

Lead rider for team named after a Murdoch propaganda mouthpiece. Good enough reason right there.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Lead rider for team named after a Murdoch propaganda mouthpiece. Good enough reason right there.

You can go around and around with that though. I love the Greenedge boys and they're just greenwashing for an environmental disaster of a company. Oleg Tinkov is a complete nut job, lotteries are just taxes on stupid, and don't even get me started on Kazakhstan...

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

so when are we getting a thread that isn't for last year's race

or at least a title change to 102th

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
102rd.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

he1ixx posted:

New to watching pro cycling and confused as to why people hate so badly on Froome. Plz advise.

1) He's an ugly gently caress with no bike handling skills and flagrantly went from "barely passable as a pro" to "demolishing hill climbing records set by proven dopers" while maintaining his innocence.

2) He can't ride a loving bike. Watch him bitch about anything with a bump on it. Compare to glorious CadelKermit who was a professional MTB rider before coming to road.

3) He's from South Africa. And rides for a british company with infinite money. -Brits don't like South Africa, South Africans don't like brits, especially ones with money. So he has no home ground to cheer for him. Wiggo had the decency to be british enough to poo poo the queen.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Sagan is gonna be an awesome domestique for Bertie, he can climb and do it all

Sagan will be 10 minutes back when poo poo gets real

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Withnail posted:

No good reason. Chris Froome is a generally likable guy who grew up with a bunch of black people in Africa.

Oh some of his best friends are black? instant like

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Pimp Cauldron posted:

Oh some of his best friends are black? instant like

I've wanted to punch every White South African I've met through school within ten minutes of meeting them.

"Uhuh. You're from halfway across the world and paying international tuition fees to study English in Canada. Tell me about your social equality and black friends back home." (No I'm not an English student, but every South African I've met has been)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gibbo posted:

3) He's from South Africa. And rides for a british company with infinite money. -Brits don't like South Africa, South Africans don't like brits, especially ones with money. So he has no home ground to cheer for him. Wiggo had the decency to be british enough to poo poo the queen.

Well, at least he's got the Kenyan market cornered.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Withnail posted:

Sagan will be 10 minutes back when poo poo gets real

He will be good on the flats, great on cobbles and can do medium mountains with ease. Great bike handler too.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Do people honestly rate Quintana as a possible winner?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Xabi posted:

There's an enormous amount of climbing and his time trialling has got better.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xabi posted:

I'd say hes the best climber out there at the moment and if hes on a good day he can dick over them all and get enough of a buffer that he wont lose too much. Hes got a decent team for the TTT and hes gotten better at the individual time trialling too. I would say it will come down to Quintana and Contador, but who knows what Nibali will pull out his arse.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I'd say Quintana will have an advantage on the hard mountains as the tour goes on, especially with no final ITT.

Nibali and Contador will probably make life hard for Froome on the descents/any time the race gets technical. If Froome doesn't lose time to one of them in the first 10 days I'll be surprised.

As much as I want to see Contador do the double, fending three strong, fresh rivals with an extra GT in his legs will be tough.

I really hope Quintana and Contador don't let the Tour become a drag race up between Sky and Astana on every col. I don't really care who wins as long as it's exciting.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Quintana has also been hiding out from testers in Colombia most of the season while Froome and Contador have been racing in Europe

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Froome hosed off to altitude and didn't race for like 2 months.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

Froome hosed off to altitude and didn't race for like 2 months.

True but wasnt Quintana MIA for most of the season? Not that I'm not rooting for him, or anyone but Froome really

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gibbo posted:

went from "barely passable as a pro" to "demolishing hill climbing records set by proven dopers" while maintaining his innocence.
It's really just this.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

Quintana has also been hiding out from testers in Colombia most of the season while Froome and Contador have been racing in Europe

"hiding out"

because the whereabouts system isn't a thing you know.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gibbo posted:

"hiding out"

Weren't there articles complaining how it was extra expensive to send people to Tenerife, so they basically didn't do it?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am pulling for Quintana this year. gently caress Froome, gently caress Sky.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gibbo posted:

"hiding out"

-Michael Rasmussen

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Weren't there articles complaining how it was extra expensive to send people to Tenerife, so they basically didn't do it?

Oh? I never saw any of those but that makes sense I guess.

"Well, we could fly to buttfuck nowhere to stick him... Or we could fly to Las Cabos and take a vacation with the same money.... Gentlemen, start your livers."

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Interesting. While waiting for replies earlier I downloaded his biography on Audible and listened to about half of it. Had no idea he was actually born and raised in Kenya. I don't really root for anyone but I do enjoy watching pro cycling -- something I never thought I'd say in my life. Tinkoff seems like a Russian Donald Trump though. That much seems obvious.

I procured stages 1-9 from last year's Tour de France so I might take a peek at them this weekend. I hear the cobbles in stage 5 was a fun time for everybody.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

he1ixx posted:

I procured stages 1-9 from last year's Tour de France so I might take a peek at them this weekend. I hear the cobbles in stage 5 was a fun time for everybody.

Nibali bossed it. It was the moment I stopped disliking him.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Paddyb posted:

Nibali bossed it. It was the moment I stopped disliking him.

:agreed: still, gently caress Froome gently caress Sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Well, yeah