Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rochallor posted:

This is pretty cool news for stuff going forward but the Weeping Angels in audio form just sounds like the dumbest loving idea. I have no idea how this is going to work unless they're an extremely minor aspect of whatever story it is.

I'm imagining it's like the beginning of Chimes of Midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just saw Terminator Genisys... it was a lot of fun, it's a fun time travel movie, and I loved the way it built on the existing Terminator franchise. But if anybody's planning on going just for Matt Smith (or Matthew Smith, as he's credited in it), just a heads up, he's only in it briefly (but he is very pivotal!).

And there's an end credits sequence worth seeing.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

I just saw Terminator Genisys... it was a lot of fun, it's a fun time travel movie, and I loved the way it built on the existing Terminator franchise. But if anybody's planning on going just for Matt Smith (or Matthew Smith, as he's credited in it), just a heads up, he's only in it briefly (but he is very pivotal!).

And there's an end credits sequence worth seeing.

counterpoint: it's a terrible movie. with some really weird casting choices.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rochallor posted:

This is pretty cool news for stuff going forward but the Weeping Angels in audio form just sounds like the dumbest loving idea. I have no idea how this is going to work unless they're an extremely minor aspect of whatever story it is.

I don't think it's that dependent on visual cues. They could get a decent story out of them.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

counterpoint: it's a terrible movie. with some really weird casting choices.

What did you find to be a weird casting choice?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think it's that dependent on visual cues. They could get a decent story out of them.

It's about blinking. It'd be like an episode about a sound monster being completely silent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

"Oh god, Doctor, I blinked, and now it's a few feet closer to me, its hand outstretched towards me."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
They have that violin sting sound effect whenever they move on the telly, I'm sure they can use that in a similar manner.

I mean, I don't exactly think it's a great idea, but it's doable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a corner they're forced into, though. If you're told 'you can have the monsters from the new show, but not the Doctor/companions, then you HAVE to use the Angels, considering they're the only mainstay the new series has created.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

They'd use the Silence, but nobody remembers them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
You can probably do the Weeping Angels in an audio now that I think about it, but it can't be 'just an Angels story'. Perhaps they can play with the time-throwing, making the story more about following the Angels' impact than the Angels themselves. That'd probably end up like if Blink focused on the Doctor, but we've always been external to their victims, we've never experienced what it's like to be caught by them beyond the fact that Old Person You is now in a bed somewhere in your native time.

There's also an idea that sounds a lot more terrible than it would actually be, setting the entire thing around controlling a video surveillance system. Yes, that would basically be Five Nights at Freddie's, but it's a form of tense horror that would work well for both the Angels and the audio format.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Android Blues posted:

They'd use the Silence, but nobody remembers them.

The Silence'd probably work a lot better than the Angels for audio. Although the advantage of Angels is that The Doctor already knew about them in Blink, so it leads to less continuity problems. (Although the Silence do have a self-solving mechanism for that built in...)

That said, I reckon it'd be much better to explore some of the more minor new monsters, some of them could be really cool to flesh out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 30, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

It's a corner they're forced into, though. If you're told 'you can have the monsters from the new show, but not the Doctor/companions, then you HAVE to use the Angels, considering they're the only mainstay the new series has created.

Does anyone remember when the Slitheen were meant to be "the" monster for the revival? You know, the one that was meant to be part of the pantheon, become new recurring enemies? Because they were.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

What did you find to be a weird casting choice?

terminator spoilers ahoy:

first of, a somewhat well known actor as matt smith to be given two seconds of screentime as a blue shadow.
the girl who plays sarah connor looks like a sheltered 14 year old, and not someone who's been fighting and preparing for the worlds end with a murder machine sidekick instead of her parents.
kyle reese looks like ha was played by the star of Not another teen movie 13, not someone who's been at war their whole life.
and, well, arnold really didn't need to be in this one.

I'm all for casting choices that are daring, and with people you wouldn't imediately associate with the part, but then the actors and script actually has to prove to us that they are the right fit for the part. Terminator: genesys doesn't do that at all.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I feel so weird that I live in a world where I would tell my stepdaughter to only watch the first two Terminator movies, but that she would enjoy all TWELVE Friday the 13th movies…

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

I feel so weird that I live in a world where I would tell my stepdaughter to only watch the first two Terminator movies, but that she would enjoy all TWELVE Friday the 13th movies…

Okay that's not fair.

Friday the 13th is this magical entity that is always entertaining no matter how awful it rightfully should be.

Comparing it and any other franchise is simply wrong.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

Okay that's not fair.

Friday the 13th is this magical entity that is always entertaining no matter how awful it rightfully should be.

Comparing it and any other franchise is simply wrong.

As someone who spent an entire date night arguing with his wife about the merits of The Final Chapter vs. Jason X, I like this post.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

As someone who spent an entire date night arguing with his wife about the merits of The Final Chapter vs. Jason X, I like this post.

You have a good life. Thumbs up man.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Which one is the one where they're in the future and they distract Jason with a holodeck simulation of teenagers making out? I think that one has to be, by definition, the best one.

I haven't seen any of the Friday the 13th movies in entirely too long.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'd imagine that would be Jason X.

On a related note, I watched the first Friday the 13th movie for the first time quite recently and was quite disappointed. It's like Psycho except in reverse and also not good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cargohills posted:

I'd imagine that would be Jason X.

On a related note, I watched the first Friday the 13th movie for the first time quite recently and was quite disappointed. It's like Psycho except in reverse and also not good.

The first Friday is fine if you keep a few things in mind, most notably that no where in the movie is it even implied Jason is or could be the killer. Jason doesn't even get his name said until the actual killer shows up.

It also did some really cool things with its cinematography and is a fun slasher in general, helping to codify what Slasher movies would become while remaining largely better than most that would follow.

It's A Good Movie with a few notations beside it. Plus, Kevin Bacon.

I adore the Friday the 13th Franchise a lot, if it wasn't clear. Some how all of the movies manage to walk this careful tightrope of never losing itself to some of its own stupid ideas. Including Jason Goes to Hell where Jason isn't even in his own body for most of the movie.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

terminator spoilers ahoy:

first of, a somewhat well known actor as matt smith to be given two seconds of screentime as a blue shadow.
the girl who plays sarah connor looks like a sheltered 14 year old, and not someone who's been fighting and preparing for the worlds end with a murder machine sidekick instead of her parents.
kyle reese looks like ha was played by the star of Not another teen movie 13, not someone who's been at war their whole life.
and, well, arnold really didn't need to be in this one.

I'm all for casting choices that are daring, and with people you wouldn't imediately associate with the part, but then the actors and script actually has to prove to us that they are the right fit for the part. Terminator: genesys doesn't do that at all.

More Terminator spoilers:

Matt Smith wasn't in this one much, but there are two sequels scheduled for 2017 and 2018... and the end credits scene from this one implied that there will definitely be more Matt Smith. This one was just setting up his character.
I thought that Emilia Clark and Jai Courtney were both just fine.
And I really disagree about Arnold not needing to be in this one, because the whole thing was based around the continued timeline one-upping. Which is what I loved about it. It had to incorporate Arnold (several Arnolds!) to be able to do that (and then top it by doing what it did with John).
Also, they did a fantastic job having Arnold shown at several different ages, I was quite impressed. De-aging isn't always something that's done well.

In summation: I disagree. But to each their own.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

docbeard posted:

Which one is the one where they're in the future and they distract Jason with a holodeck simulation of teenagers making out? I think that one has to be, by definition, the best one.

I haven't seen any of the Friday the 13th movies in entirely too long.

That one also features Jason killing them, shoving their bodies into sleeping bags and then whacking the sleeping bag against a tree trunk multiple times - it's a glorious mess of a movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

That one also features Jason killing them, shoving their bodies into sleeping bags and then whacking the sleeping bag against a tree trunk multiple times - it's a glorious mess of a movie.
This is also his Mortal Kombat fatality.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I'm just pleased the Judoon are back, and I want to see(hear) them get into a rumble with the Sontarans.

On that note, I'm also gonna throw it in there that BF will make The Shadow Proclamation actually as cool as it was talked up to be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Astroman posted:

On that note, I'm also gonna throw it in there that BF will make The Shadow Proclamation actually as cool as it was talked up to be.

Briggs specifically pointed to the Judoon as the revival monster he most wanted to write into the audios. He's probably had Ideas on this one for a while.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

The first Friday is fine if you keep a few things in mind, most notably that no where in the movie is it even implied Jason is or could be the killer. Jason doesn't even get his name said until the actual killer shows up.

It also did some really cool things with its cinematography and is a fun slasher in general, helping to codify what Slasher movies would become while remaining largely better than most that would follow.

It's A Good Movie with a few notations beside it. Plus, Kevin Bacon.

I adore the Friday the 13th Franchise a lot, if it wasn't clear. Some how all of the movies manage to walk this careful tightrope of never losing itself to some of its own stupid ideas. Including Jason Goes to Hell where Jason isn't even in his own body for most of the movie.

As a huge horror movie fan (my favorite movie is the 1978 version of Dawn of the Dead), I always felt that Halloween created the slasher genre, but Friday the 13th, as Burkion said, codified it. All the “clichés” Halloween did first (Final Girl, sex equals death, the use of a musical motif for the killer), Friday the 13th made standard operating procedures for slasher flicks going forward. It does mean, in my opinion, Friday the 13th doesn’t hold up as well as Halloween today but both are still drat good horror movies in their own right.

Friday the 13th is the better series, though. I could watch any of those movies any time they’re on television, even when AMC does their marathons on Friday the 13th and they’re heavily edited. Halloween, there’s only a few I would take the time to watch…heck, this goes for most other “slasher” series as well.

For anyone interested, Mark Gatiss actually did a series about the history of horror movies, and touches upon the American slasher genre. It’s very well done, and coming from an American horror fan, refreshingly honest in how most American horror (at the time of broadcast) is run of the mill and boilerplate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EH1FiToj4w

This is actually one of the reasons I’m excited about my Tom Baker watch (The Ark in Space this weekend!). Just from basic knowledge of certain serials, I can sense the series shifting away from the “action/sci-fi” overtones of Pertwee’s run towards a more “horror” based tone with adventures like The Brain of Morbius and The Horror of Fang Rock. I’m looking forward to seeing all those “hide behind the couch” moments…

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, if you somehow really enjoyed Philip Martin's teleplays for Vengeance on Varos and Mindwarp, I recommend against listening to (or reading, I suppose) Mission to Magnus, which is literally about an evil matriarchy with psychic powers and a hive-mind, who keep men in underground tunnels and use Orwellian mind programming. In the end, the men they're at war with inform them they are going to be wives, and when the women react in horror, the men chuckle at all the sex they are going to have with them. As if that weren't enough, the story pads itself with a bully renegade Timelord who barely features in the story, the return of everyone's favorite capitalist slug, Sil, and the Ice Warriors (entirely stripped of any nuance they may have attained in the Pertwee years).

:yikes:

It's one of the most embarrassing messages I've seen "subtly" encoded into science fiction. We should all be very, very glad that Michael Grade's unfair grudge against Doctor Who caused the hiatus.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Well, if you somehow really enjoyed Philip Martin's teleplays for Vengeance on Varos and Mindwarp, I recommend against listening to (or reading, I suppose) Mission to Magnus, which is literally about an evil matriarchy with psychic powers and a hive-mind, who keep men in underground tunnels and use Orwellian mind programming. In the end, the men they're at war with inform them they are going to be wives, and when the women react in horror, the men chuckle at all the sex they are going to have with them. As if that weren't enough, the story pads itself with a bully renegade Timelord who barely features in the story, the return of everyone's favorite capitalist slug, Sil, and the Ice Warriors (entirely stripped of any nuance they may have attained in the Pertwee years).

It's one of the most embarrassing messages I've seen "subtly" encoded into science fiction. We should all be very, very glad that Michael Grade's unfair grudge against Doctor Who caused the hiatus.

Guess what other story Mr. Martin wrote?

The Creed of the Kromon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Guess what other story Mr. Martin wrote?

The Creed of the Kromon.

Ahahahahahahahaha it all comes together.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

For anyone interested, Mark Gatiss actually did a series about the history of horror movies, and touches upon the American slasher genre. It’s very well done, and coming from an American horror fan, refreshingly honest in how most American horror (at the time of broadcast) is run of the mill and boilerplate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EH1FiToj4w

I'm not hugely into horror movies (I enjoy the Phantasm series; that's about it) but I like retrospectives about entire genres / companies / record labels / whatever, so I will have to give this a try.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not hugely into horror movies (I enjoy the Phantasm series; that's about it) but I like retrospectives about entire genres / companies / record labels / whatever, so I will have to give this a try.

It’s incredibly well done! Gatiss did three one-hour segments – one on 1920’s through 1940’s era that focused on Lon Chaney and the Universal monsters, one on the Hammer era from the 1950’s to the 1970’s, and then the one covering the “slasher” era along with Romero and Cronenberg’s work. He approaches it from the era of a fan, with respect and reverence, even with regards to the “slasher” era which he doesn’t care too much for. He’s more interested in talking to George Romero and John Carpenter than the movies themselves.

Oh, and there’s a very lovely sequence with David Warner in the second one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

It's pretty telling that of those lost stories the ones that were furthest away from completion are the ones that come out as being better.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've asked before and even got a straight answer, but I'm still confused: Is Vengeance on Varos good or not?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

I've asked before and even got a straight answer, but I'm still confused: Is Vengeance on Varos good or not?

Yes, it's good.

Some say it's a classic.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Dabir posted:

It's definitely the best Colin Baker story, and honestly it's one of my favourite classic Doctor Who stories overall.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dabir posted:

The difficulty is that it's really hard not to reply with

Wheat Loaf posted:

Some say it's a classic.

I do not think it is very good.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Dabir posted:

I did not enjoy Vengance of Varos very much. The eighties was a weird time for Doctor Who, in Varos the set looked like a laser tag arena and the monster designs were... C. Bakes is a good doctor but more than any other (except 8) he did not get a great shot in his television role. Some people consider it a classic however so maybe you'll enjoy it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I've only listened to maybe twenty audios and kept away from the books, but that was the single worst Doctor Who story I have ever encountered. It would have been terrible and horrifyingly sexist if it had been produced in the 80's as an actual television story, today it's even worse.

cargohills posted:

It's definitely the best Colin Baker story, and honestly it's one of my favourite classic Doctor Who stories overall.

Yeah, it's the only Colin Baker television story that someone could make a reasonable argument for being actually good. I think it's a really solid effort that's a bit rough around the edges.

I really do like the character of Sil, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I really do like the character of Sil, though.

Listening to Nabil Shaban describe how committed he was to the role and all the stories describing how devoted he was on set (on the special features) was my favorite part of the story. He had written into the show twice, once to suggest he could play the Master after Roger Delgado died and once to suggest he should be the Sixth Doctor, so being on Doctor Who was a real dream for him. He also founded a theatre group which promotes performers with disabilities and does a lot of advocacy there.

• Locked thread