Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Brannock posted:

Well, okay, that's an acceptable assertion. Do you support families? Should families be exposed to Gamergate?

Exposing children to most gamers is acceptable grounds for removal via CPS, I'd say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

The Larch posted:

I'm not sure admitting you hang out with literal neo-nazis is going to help your argument.

No, the gamergate irc. its at rizon and its #burgersandfries. Its been very slow for the past few weeks, but if yall really want to argue with some real genuine channer GGers you can go there, as yall seem to have alot of fun with this thread.

Again, I'm not a casual 4chan user. I've barely ever been there before gamergate happened. I basically get all my info from the chat, I'm pretty sure it's where they archive everything.

afeelgoodpoop fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 30, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zeitgueist posted:

Exposing children to most gamers is acceptable grounds for removal via CPS, I'd say

I agree with bringing in child protection for the crime of exposed children. Who wouldn't?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I wouldn't threaten the cleavage if it wasn't being so god drat aggressive. It needs to chill out.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

circ dick soleil posted:

Why does the aggressive cleavage need to be saved? Who is threatening it?

It's a reference to the PAX rules which prohibit "aggressive display of cleavage or the navel" on booth representatives, which is basically a very awkwardly worded rule against booth babes.

These rules have been there for years, but a few months ago somebody in GG got bored and decided to bring it up again.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

Feminists who identify themselves with equity feminism include Jean Bethke Elshtain, Christina Hoff Sommers, Elizabeth Fox-Genovese, Noretta Koertge, Donna Laframboise, Mary Lefkowitz, Carrie Lukas, Wendy McElroy, Camille Paglia, Daphne Patai, Virginia Postrel, Alice Rossi, Nadine Strossen, Joan Kennedy Taylor, Cathy Young, and evolutionary psychologist Steven Pinker.

That cohort includes a former president of the ACLU, an investigative journalist, and several professors at respected institutions.

Slanderer posted:

This appears to be an unsourced and unverified statement on that wikipedia page (except for Pinker). Looking up a few of the names here gives me some libertarians and some people in unrelated fields---but most importantly, i can find no reference to "equity feminist" related to them.

EDIT: Ah, it appears to be a clever edit on wikipedia. The list was originally people that Steven Pinker identifies with equity feminism, not feminists that identify themselves with it. So, I guess apparently no one but Sommers, Pinker, and MRAs actually refer to equity feminism

So, yeah, standing by my assertions that Sommers invented a new definition of feminism to apply to her dumb libertarian politics, which is not actually used by other feminists

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Someone else asked me this last time I posted here so i'll just answer it, I agree with the definition, but i generally myself disagreeing with about half the feminist things I come across in media. I generally hate activist and radicals, though.
What definition of feminism are you using when you say you agree with it, and what specifically do you disagree with?

It's nice that you hate gg though you shouldn't hate activists, you've benefited enormously from their activism.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NutritiousSnack posted:

Case in point, TotalBisuit had a slam article mentioned against him and a lecture that had to be redacted and apologized for because he could prove damages. SeripothISCool88 isn't going to get the same treatment because them saying GamerGate as a whole eats infants doesn't matter.

Are you referring to this blog opinion on Totalbiscuit?

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidGallant/20150125/234930/For_the_Sake_of_the_Industry_No_More_TotalBiscuit.php

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Slanderer posted:

So, yeah, standing by my assertions that Sommers invented a new definition of feminism to apply to her dumb libertarian politics, which is not actually used by other feminists

I see, thanks for the update. I didn't want to dig into that too deeply as I'm indifferent towards feminist factionalism.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Someone else asked me this last time I posted here so i'll just answer it, I agree with the definition, but i generally myself disagreeing with about half the feminist things I come across in media. I generally hate activist and radicals, though.

you hate activists and radicals, but you hang out in a GG channel and actively research anti-feminist causes?

i'm not sure if you understand that you come across as extremely biased and untrustworthy. i doubt you have sound judgement on this issue

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

No. He was mentoned off handily on an article on Kotaku or something and more importantly was mentioned during a game academics conference that had to issue a correction and apology on their youtube for mentioning him endorsing harassment.

Some lamewad saying someone else is lame and dumb is and always will be legal.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

No, the gamergate irc. its at rizon and its #burgersandfries. Its been very slow for the past few weeks, but if yall really want to argue with some real genuine channer GGers you can go there, as yall seem to have alot of fun with this thread.

Again, I'm not a casual 4chan user. I've barely ever been there before gamergate happened. I basically get all my info from the chat, I'm pretty sure it's where they archive everything.

Why would anyone need to go there when gg chatter afeelgoodpoop is here in this thread?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Sharkie posted:

It's nice that you hate gg though you shouldn't hate activists, you've benefited enormously from their activism.

Yes, but hippies

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

INH5 posted:

It's a reference to the PAX rules which prohibit "aggressive display of cleavage or the navel" on booth representatives, which is basically a very awkwardly worded rule against booth babes.

These rules have been there for years, but a few months ago somebody in GG got bored and decided to bring it up again.

Oh, well 3D doesn't count.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you hate activists and radicals, but you hang out in a GG channel and actively research anti-feminist causes?

i'm not sure if you understand that you come across as extremely biased and untrustworthy. i doubt you have sound judgement on this issue

Okay, a clearer definition. I hate radicals that feel justified in hiding their intent and being devious, this doesn't bother me in my support of GG because it is ultimately a gamer cargo cult version that is disempowering those radicals out games journalism by attacking the journalist themselves.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Okay, a clearer definition. I hate radicals that feel justified in hiding their intent and being devious, this doesn't bother me in my support of GG because it is ultimately a gamer cargo cult version that is disempowering those radicals out games journalism by attacking the journalist themselves.

this is a sort of interesting rationalization that allows you to believe that GG are not radical activists, but it just leads to more questions. why do you think that feminists and SJWs are actually hiding anything? what is the threshold of proof that you find acceptable to test this belief? from my perspective it seems like they've clearly stated that they think there are problems with sexism and other -isms in gaming, and want to point out those problems. where is the ulterior motive? it also seems obvious to me that the gamergaters are the more devious party, given that they claim they're concerned about journalism ethics when they harass people who are not journalists, but social critics. this would indicate that the true goal of gamergate is to silence unpopular critics

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NutritiousSnack posted:

No. He was mentoned off handily on an article on Kotaku or something and more importantly was mentioned during a game academics conference that had to issue a correction and apology on their youtube for mentioning him endorsing harassment.

Some lamewad saying someone else is lame and dumb is and always will be legal.

Can you find said article? This is the only thing close to what you're talking about.

http://kotaku.com/some-youtubers-might-be-breaking-the-law-1606292412

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

I see, thanks for the update. I didn't want to dig into that too deeply as I'm indifferent towards feminist factionalism.

It seemed so out of place with what my earlier google queries returned that I figured something was up. The actual reference cited from Pinker ended up being weird---lots of "People think that feminists want to kill all men and burn the earth, but that's just the crazies! But my gal Christina Sommers knows a thing or two, and it turns out that all those women who don't identify as feminists but believe the same set of values are secretly Equity Feminists, they just don't realize it yet! Allow me to list famous ones who have yet to be enlightened about what they actually believe:..."

So, yeah, that was weird.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
conservative anti gay dude getting caught blowing a dude = funny.

moral scolds being outed as total hypocrites = funny.

what is there to debate or discuss? send this poo poo somewhere else. pet island maybe.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I am just curious what percentage of the gamer gate "community" are pedophiles and which ones simply view artistic nudes of children online.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

afeelgoodpoop posted:

So you don't hate feminists because of a crazy-rear end percieved conspiracy you picked up on a poo poo board somewhere.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

Can you find said article? This is the only thing close to what you're talking about.

http://kotaku.com/some-youtubers-might-be-breaking-the-law-1606292412

Honestly I'll look but this poo poo is a year long now and I just laugh at this mess.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

I suspect, based on what you've posted, it would be more accurate to say you support gg because you believe they're fighting the good fight against feminism. Despite their hiding their intent by claiming its actually about journalism ethics.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Denim Dude posted:

conservative anti gay dude getting caught blowing a dude = funny.

moral scolds being outed as total hypocrites = funny.

what is there to debate or discuss? send this poo poo somewhere else. pet island maybe.

I don't know, I think there's a lot of nuance to be debated here, such as moral culpability or grey areas. Don't you agree?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I am just curious what percentage of the gamer gate "community" are pedophiles and which ones simply view artistic nudes of children online.

Sarah Butts is one of the bigger anti GamerGate people and she had her harddrive seized by police for having lolicon on it and is a self admitted pedophile.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Who was the hypocrite here?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Zeitgeist a few minutes ago your avatar looked like this:

but don't worry as I already brought you your old one back. There's no need to thank me.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Brannock posted:

I don't know, I think there's a lot of nuance to be debated here, such as moral culpability or grey areas. Don't you agree?

jesus christ no, and also gently caress capital letters too.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Huh, that was a pretty fast turnaround on av -> red text -> av.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Clear question: if you didn't think that the feminists involved were being deceitful, would you still be opposed to their views?

If your answer is yes, have you considered the possibility that that view may colour your attitudes to the whole issue?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Cliff Racer posted:

but don't worry as I already brought you your old one back. There's no need to thank me.

awesome

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Cliff Racer posted:

You think you're doing him a favor but actually you just made him waste five bucks.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Please sir do not talk about exposing children, especially in the artistic sense because there's a large segment of perverts who believe that is ok.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Denim Dude posted:

IDK, it seems like there's plenty of good to be had here; plenty of hellthread dudes have shown up and been civilly argued with, a few aren't as hostile to feminist stuff anymore (or just aren't as likely to participate in tribalism), derails have been short and well-meaning, and sooner or later we might finally get a description of what Gamergate is about!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Please sir do not talk about exposing children, especially in the artistic sense because there's a large segment of perverts who believe that is ok.

LOL couldn't make the gf stuff stick, trying again?

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is a sort of interesting rationalization that allows you to believe that GG are not radical activists, but it just leads to more questions. why do you think that feminists and SJWs are actually hiding anything? what is the threshold of proof that you find acceptable to test this belief? from my perspective it seems like they've clearly stated that they think there are problems with sexism and other -isms in gaming, and want to point out those problems. where is the ulterior motive? it also seems obvious to me that the gamergaters are the more devious party, given that they claim they're concerned about journalism ethics when they harass people who are not journalists, but social critics. this would indicate that the true goal of gamergate is to silence unpopular critics

Atleast since LF was made leftist got really weird about spreading specific narratives about ongoing events. If you see nearly every single leftist outlet repeating not only specific narratives, but snappy catchphrases and an ultimate conclusive tone about things. It's very obvious some weird collusion is going on. either that or internet leftys really like repeating poo poo in mass in the same exact way everywhere. I guess It's important for me to bring up that I was somewhat radicalized in my youth over the incredibly ridiculous propaganda push to convince the US public to go to war with iraq. I had deep suspicions within the first month that the administration was pushing alot of bullshit. it became more and more obvious over time, all the way leading up to them revealing that spy that was in active duty because they or someone they knew kept calling the news to tell them their evidence was poo poo. When we actually pushed into doing it, the opinion polls came out showing most people believed the bullshit, and then bush getting elected in 2004. I legit wanted to blow up something bad. Thankfully I was a kid and didnt have any power but it made me lose complete faith in other peoples ability to smell bullshit, and made me feel like I have some extra special ability to pick up on obvious media manipulation. I have no faith in others ability to not be brainwashed and manipulated, so when I sense manipulative narratives being pushed I feel a strong disdain and fear that others will be legit manipulated into believing it.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Let's continue to discuss pedophilia while ignoring the babydick loving elephants posting in the room.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

LOL couldn't make the gf stuff stick, trying again?

What the gently caress are you on about? Swallow too many Aqua Dots?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Disinterested posted:

If your answer is yes, have you considered the possibility that that view may colour your attitudes to the whole issue?

Saying yes blankly is just as dumb though, it depends on their argument. Like I'd totally say the Hitman commercials widely hated by the press was sexist as hell and they made good arguments towards this but nearly every criticism against The Witcher 3 seems just stupid and frankly culturally imperialist as hell and I'm not GamerGate or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Atleast since LF was made leftist got really weird about spreading specific narratives about ongoing events. If you see nearly every single leftist outlet repeating not only specific narratives, but snappy catchphrases and an ultimate conclusive tone about things. It's very obvious some weird collusion is going on. either that or internet leftys really like repeating poo poo in mass in the same exact way everywhere. I guess It's important for me to bring up that I was somewhat radicalized in my youth over the incredibly ridiculous propaganda push to convince the US public to go to war with iraq. I had deep suspicions within the first month that the administration was pushing alot of bullshit. it became more and more obvious over time, all the way leading up to them revealing that spy that was in active duty because they or someone they knew kept calling the news to tell them their evidence was poo poo. When we actually pushed into doing it, the opinion polls came out showing most people believed the bullshit, and then bush getting elected in 2004. I legit wanted to blow up something bad. Thankfully I was a kid and didnt have any power but it made me lose complete faith in other peoples ability to smell bullshit, and made me feel like I have some extra special ability to pick up on obvious media manipulation. I have no faith in others ability to not be brainwashed and manipulated, so when I sense manipulative narratives being pushed I feel a strong disdain and fear that others will be legit manipulated into believing it.

why do you believe you have a hightened ability to see through manipulation and propaganda? where did you acquire this skill? are you naturally just more intelligent and perceptive than the vast majority of humanity?

• Locked thread