Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

JetsGuy posted:

In either case, I didn't trust her to only kill dickface,

I did and she did, so that was clearly the good resolution. :v: Quest just ends there and you never learn the other stuff though.

My favorite quest in the game is the loser wraith in the arena. I spent a good minute wandering around town trying to find someone who would give me a clue on how to fix him before it hit me. "Wait a minute, maybe I can just..."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sindai posted:

I did and she did, so that was clearly the good resolution. :v: Doing it that way you never learn she's a werewolf though.
Yup, I did the same and I avoided needing to fight humans and a werewolf at the same time. I loved the alternate Red Ridinghood reference.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Buy maps from a blacksmith or armorer inventory. The different Witcher school gears are pretty much the only worthwhile ones.

I use non-witcher steel swords a lot because they come with a lot more crit damage and chance. The damage especially gets ridiculous when you start abusing superior thunderbolt.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Did anyone else run into the farting trolls? Are they part of some sort of quest? I just ended up killing them since they were hostile.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Did anyone else throw the non-essential fights and races in the game? I let Cerys win the race to the top of the mountain, let Ciri win the snowball fight, let the circus guys win the horse race. I mean, c'mon, I'm a superpowered mutant with thousands of coins - winning doesn't really prove anything at this point.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rated PG-34 posted:

Did anyone else run into the farting trolls? Are they part of some sort of quest? I just ended up killing them since they were hostile.

As I understand it, they're a reference to Youtube personalities

I was worried they were part of a quest or something so I kited them around to the back of the room so that they'd be far enough away from the ledge that the combat mode ended and I could just leave

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Technically they are, but witcher gear hunts are really not quests with consequences.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't know if i'm weird for thinking this but having played Witcher 3, i'm finding it a lot more restrained in the over-the-top-ness than Witcher 2, despite having a more fantasy-ish plot.

Maybe it's less stuff like the lesbomancy and the nonstop Triss tit scenes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

The armor on the far left looks better than what she wears in the game imo

Kind of impractical in the other direction though; looks hard to buckle on by yourself.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JetsGuy posted:

So I almost felt bad doing a sidequest where: I ran into a town scared that some woman is going to come by and "teach some dude a lesson". Turns out it's a little girl and of course, it turns out the dude lied to you and has been helping the bandits and when they didn't give him as much money as he'd like he ratted them out to the Witch hunters. In either case, I didn't trust her to only kill dickface, and oh look, he wasn't lying she was a warewolf after all.

At which point I found her diary from her dead mother asking her to run and never come back because the family secret is out and please try to live like a good person. Oh well.

Just another case where the game gives you a situation where everyone sucks.

Well on the other hand, she is still a bandit with a gang name and everything :shrug:.

Sindai posted:

I did and she did, so that was clearly the good resolution. :v: Quest just ends there and you never learn the other stuff though.

Yeah but what happens later? Scared villager helped bandits for coin is not as bad as the bandits themselves imo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rated PG-34 posted:

They're just an easter egg that are voiced by 3 youtubers (Dodger, Jesse Cox and Angry Joe). I think they'll ramble on about stuff if you hide out away from them and listen but I never bothered to go looking for them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

This thread is actually pretty good about using spoiler tags. And, no, it is not obvious that Vesemir dies. Which that guy just outright says.

You don't even need to read this thread to get that spoiled, just google his name (which I totally did before it happened because I didn't fuckin' know it was going to happen).

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
This is a game I want to like but I can't get into combat. The movement from the start felt very janky, the camera a bit uncooperative, and coupled with a combat system that's all about dodging, moving, and awareness of enemy location, I found it very off-putting & tedious. For me, the control really needs to be tighter to be enjoyable.

I was thinking about running through it on easy just to take in the story & world as they both seem quite engaging, but I'm wondering if playing that way is going to get very boring? Steam refund window is closing... any of you actually play through this on easy? Or if I'm forsaking combat should I just get my money back and watch an LP instead?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DOMDOM posted:

This is a game I want to like but I can't get into combat. The movement from the start felt very janky, the camera a bit uncooperative, and coupled with a combat system that's all about dodging, moving, and awareness of enemy location, I found it very off-putting & tedious. For me, the control really needs to be tighter to be enjoyable.

I was thinking about running through it on easy just to take in the story & world as they both seem quite engaging, but I'm wondering if playing that way is going to get very boring? Steam refund window is closing... any of you actually play through this on easy? Or if I'm forsaking combat should I just get my money back and watch an LP instead?

That's what I did. The fighting and movement isn't good, and if you aren't having fun with that, just play on easy because the stories and characters ARE very engaging.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DOMDOM posted:

If you're at the point of wondering whether you should play what is set to be the best RPG of 2015, I would take advantage of the difficulty slider. Set it low if it's bugging you, set it higher if it's too boring. The difficulty curve like any classic RPG is backwards and it's only hard in the first 10 levels. You can change the difficulty at any time, without reloading a save or going to the main menu.

How long have you been playing? I started a new game (this time in Polish natch) on B&BB again and I was blown away by how easy the ghouls and drowners were now that I was used to the combat. I remembered them killing me over and over. I think I took one hit in the starting ghoul fight when I died twice on my last playthrough.

The camera is a bit uncooperative, but I've always been confused about the complaints people have with the movement. Jogging out of combat can be a little janky, but I've never had trouble with in-combat movement.

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

DOMDOM posted:

Playing on easy/2nd easiest difficulty is definitely worth it. Honestly, I feel like it would be more tedious playing it on a higher difficulty because the enemies don't seem to have that many unique attacks/strategies/etc. so on harder difficulties the enemies just have more HP, it's not really more difficult/engaging fights (AFAIK). Also, I felt like I got used to the janky controls and got better at compensating for them after a little while too. (Plus you'll start getting items/abilities which all make combat much better - the combat at the beginning is the worst since you don't have access to anything yet).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Macaluso posted:

That's what I did. The fighting and movement isn't good, and if you aren't having fun with that, just play on easy because the stories and characters ARE very engaging.

The movement hasn't been too much of an issue for me (though it was a bit clunky at times)...until I started the wolf armor hunt. gently caress you Geralt and your desire to roll off the scaffold down a sheer goddamned cliff when I just wanted you to take a single step. :mad:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

the wildest turkey posted:

Playing on easy/2nd easiest difficulty is definitely worth it. Honestly, I feel like it would be more tedious playing it on a higher difficulty because the enemies don't seem to have that many unique attacks/strategies/etc. so on harder difficulties the enemies just have more HP, it's not really more difficult/engaging fights (AFAIK).
I think difficulty has way more effect on enemy damage than enemy HP. I turned it up to the second-hardest difficulty about halfway through and was still two-shotting most things, but they actually hurt me even if they were > 5 levels below me. On the default difficulty underleveled enemies barely touch you.

What I really wanted was separate settings for difficulty and "realism" though. I liked the way enemy damage and HP felt on hard but not being able to replenish health by meditating was annoying since it meant having to push a button to eat a bunch of times between fights.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 30, 2015

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Geralts movement has been modeled on some vague real world physics, with weight and momentum, but from a fun perspective he should be able to turn in 1-frame

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

CJacobs posted:

But Roche is just so ruggedly handsome

But for that mess of rags he wears on his head.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

How do those rags even stay like that? It was a risky contraption in Witcher 2 but in Witcher 3 it's ridiculous.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They're magic rags.

So, what is this week's dlc?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Riso posted:

They're magic rags.

So, what is this week's dlc?

It's a quest called:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's a quest called:

Ooh Geralt running into a Cat school witcher sounds pretty tasty.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gonna be awkward when I beat him using gear from his own school.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Holy poo poo! Whirl is just amazingly, stupidly good. And maxed out, I gain adrenaline doing it, while tripling Geralt's already stupid sword damage. And, uh, superior cat makes it so that stamina doesn't get drained when you're at full adrenaline. I need to see how that combines with archgriffin decoction...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Is there any lore reason Ciri has a Cat school medallion in her ui?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Holy poo poo! Whirl is just amazingly, stupidly good. And maxed out, I gain adrenaline doing it, while tripling Geralt's already stupid sword damage. And, uh, superior cat makes it so that stamina doesn't get drained when you're at full adrenaline. I need to see how that combines with archgriffin decoction...

It is amazingly stupidly good. Combine with Ekhidna decoction for balls-out insane invincibility. Not sure how you're planning to use it with archgriffin because it's not a heavy attack. Try it out with Wyvern Decoction for game-breakulous damage bonuses.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Is there any lore reason Ciri has a Cat school medallion in her ui?
It comes from the last book of the series:

"Leo Bonhart was hired by Stefan Skellen to kill Ciri and by baron Casadei to capture her alive. He possessed three witcher medallions, depicting the heads of a wolf, a cat and a gryphon, and claimed to have killed their previous owners. A claim which was not necessarily in doubt, given his prowess with a sword. After Bonhart's death, Ciri claims the cat medallion for herself, gives the wolf one to Geralt (whose own original medallion was destroyed) and the griffon one to Yennefer."

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I thought whirl was supposed to be good against groups of enemies, but I found that most of them will back off far enough not to all get him by it or just block it. Ironically, it's a lot more useful when you corner a single target, especially one that doesn't block well. You just hold the attack button and a few seconds later they're blended into mush.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

eXXon posted:

I thought whirl was supposed to be good against groups of enemies, but I found that most of them will back off far enough not to all get him by it or just block it. Ironically, it's a lot more useful when you corner a single target, especially one that doesn't block well. You just hold the attack button and a few seconds later they're blended into mush.

I've seen videos of people stunlocking the last boss with it.
I suspect archgriffin decoction + rend would make quicker work of bosses though.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've watched Sword of destiny trailer again, and I don't remember that scene:

I assume it's Avallach because I remember with whom I was cruising near the end of the game. Maybe we'll get an alternative costume DLC, but considering that person's amount of screen time it's barely worth it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah that must be him

Pretty sure that part of the trailer is when they're sailing to Skellige to deal with the Wild Hunt, and Avellac'h wore a mask like that before it was revealed who he was.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You don't meet the Emperor in the throne room either.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah that must be him

Pretty sure that part of the trailer is when they're sailing to Skellige to deal with the Wild Hunt, and Avellac'h wore a mask like that before it was revealed who he was.

Good point, I've forgot about that earlier part.

Of all the stuff that's changed compared to the trailer I miss the opportunity to hunt monsters with witcher bros, this leshen looked cool.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Riso posted:

You don't meet the Emperor in the throne room either.
This made me sad.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

eXXon posted:

That was my experience too. Or you'd take a single hit and it would cancel it out

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm really enjoying this game. The botchling quest was very poignant and sad and the voice acting coupled with the facial movements of the characters were some of the best I've ever seen in a video game. Even the fetch the goat part of the quest was hilarious, Geralt cursing and complaining the whole time but the goat growing on him as it gets closer to completion.

One of the confusing things for me is the counter-attack function. In W2, there was a little flashy sword on the bad guy that meant, "Counterattack now!", and the fast attack button was used. However, in W3, I'm not sure what button I have to press to do it. There's no indicator and I'm not sure if there's a skill that I have to select.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
counter-attacks happen automatically when you start blocking immediately after the enemy starts his/its attack animation, as opposed to just keeping the block button held down all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

One of the confusing things for me is the counter-attack function. In W2, there was a little flashy sword on the bad guy that meant, "Counterattack now!", and the fast attack button was used. However, in W3, I'm not sure what button I have to press to do it. There's no indicator and I'm not sure if there's a skill that I have to select.

Block when an enemies name flashes in red. That will make you counterattack.