Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

sheep-dodger posted:

I don't know how long your list of volunteers for interceptor duty is, but if you are lacking pilots, I'm sure you could scrape some bloody remains out of my old armor and install them into a cockpit, that should be about right for the average skill level of the XCOM airforce. :v:

Very well :)

In that case, I need an interceptor nickname for Sheep-Dodger. Unfortunately I'm only allowed about 23 characters total for pilot name (name, nickname, quotation marks, and a space between quotations and name), so that leaves us with an 8 character nickname if we gather up Sheep-Dodger's remaining parts and put them in a cockpit. So I'd like to hear some ideas. Shortening Sheep-Dodger's name to make space is cool, such as S.Dodger.

Ideas of mine:

"Brainvat" Sheep-Dodger
"Undead" Sheep-Dodger
"2nd Chance" S.Dodger

I already renamed the newest interceptor, but this will be handy for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

In that case, I need an interceptor nickname for Sheep-Dodger. Unfortunately I'm only allowed about 23 characters total for pilot name (name, nickname, quotation marks, and a space between quotations and name), so that leaves us with an 8 character nickname if we gather up Sheep-Dodger's remaining parts and put them in a cockpit. So I'd like to hear some ideas. Shortening Sheep-Dodger's name to make space is cool, such as S.Dodger.

How about :
sheep "ThisTime" dodger

Which is 23 characters exactly and imho appropriate considering how there was little dodging involved last time. But I'm game for other nicknames.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

ProfessorBooty posted:

Ideas of mine:

"Brainvat" Sheep-Dodger
"Undead" Sheep-Dodger
"2nd Chance" S.Dodger

Does "Dreadnought" fit? Stuffing half-dead folks into battle equipment and all...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sheep "RedPaste" Dodger

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sheep "Dodger"

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
So I have XCOM: EU and EW sitting in my Steam library, and having followed this LP, I want to get in on this Long War action. Thing is, I've never played an XCOM game in my entire life. I don't have a lot of experience with turn-based tactics, either. I was thinking of basically playing on maximum wuss mode (easiest difficulty, no modifiers) to learn the ropes. I know I should probably play through vanilla first, but the mod adds so much cool stuff :(. Anyone have any advice? Thread recommendations are welcome too, I don't want to hijack the LP.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

megane posted:

Sheep "Dodger"

"Dodger" Sheep Dodger

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

EggsAisle posted:

So I have XCOM: EU and EW sitting in my Steam library, and having followed this LP, I want to get in on this Long War action. Thing is, I've never played an XCOM game in my entire life. I don't have a lot of experience with turn-based tactics, either. I was thinking of basically playing on maximum wuss mode (easiest difficulty, no modifiers) to learn the ropes. I know I should probably play through vanilla first, but the mod adds so much cool stuff :(. Anyone have any advice? Thread recommendations are welcome too, I don't want to hijack the LP.

play vanilla EW on Normal and assume that in literally every unrevealed part of the map is an alien waiting to shoot you in the face; play until it stops being fun, then restart on Classic

then play long war on Normal

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

play vanilla EW on Normal and assume that in literally every unrevealed part of the map is an alien waiting to shoot you in the face; play until it stops being fun, then restart on Classic

then play long war on Normal

Unless you're on a supply barge map, then assuming every single alien is in the long corridor seems to be the correct play.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

EggsAisle posted:

I agree with Down Jacket, with a couple little things.

Its very likely that you'll enjoy Enemy Within unmodded (I wouldn't even bother with Enemy Unknown), so its worth it to try.

If you really want to just play Long War, play Long War. Hell, I started playing Enemy Unknown on Normal difficulty like two years ago on the console. I finished one game and sent back the rental. I watched Jade Star's LP of Enemy Within, though I kind of grew bored of it for some reason or another, but I really enjoyed watching Beaglerush's Live and Impossible Long War campaign, so I picked up the game on steam and went straight to Long War. I beat Long War on normal (beta 14) just doing my own thing without excel-com and staring at tech trees while save-scumming and experimenting with various tactics.

If you want an easier strategy game, then I recommend you try The Iron Rose's ini edits (I'd just search her username in the Games XCOM thread). She seems to keep the edits up-to-date with the various Long War releases, and she also seems like a nice enough gal so if you PM her or something you might get some help in case you're not comfortable modding the mod. There's also the Dynamic War option which is supposed to shorten the game, I think the default is 0.5 which presumably makes a campaign about as long as the Vanilla campaign but who the hell knows and the feature is always undergoing fixes, but people play and enjoy Dynamic War so its worth a shot.

If you try Long War first and decide you don't like it, go back to vanilla. Long War has an uninstaller, and if that doesn't work you can always verify the game or whatever steam uses to reset the game to the standard install.

edit: Keep in mind that by playing Long War you're being a beta tester

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 30, 2015

Mootiman
May 9, 2005
does playing xcom vanilla even help that much when playing long war? there are so many habits i have from vanilla that are complete no go's in long war. i played really aggressive in vanilla with run and gun and in long war it's panning out to almost always be better to retreat and get the enemy gang into overwatch traps rather than to aggressively flank as the maps are so full of goons that you are going to trigger five pods if you reveal even a few squares.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Just going to copy the edit stuff from the XCOM thread.

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyway I said gently caress it and put my DCG.ini on the nexus, so you no longer have to dig through my posts to find a pastebin link.

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/582/

Also my PatcherGUI mods are here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/581/

Just lets you edit flamethrower charges and Command's cooldown for now though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ProfessorBooty posted:

I agree with Down Jacket, with a couple little things.

Its very likely that you'll enjoy Enemy Within unmodded (I wouldn't even bother with Enemy Unknown), so its worth it to try.

If you really want to just play Long War, play Long War. Hell, I started playing Enemy Unknown on Normal difficulty like two years ago on the console. I finished one game and sent back the rental. I watched Jade Star's LP of Enemy Within, though I kind of grew bored of it for some reason or another, but I really enjoyed watching Beaglerush's Live and Impossible Long War campaign, so I picked up the game on steam and went straight to Long War. I beat Long War on normal (beta 14) just doing my own thing without excel-com and staring at tech trees while save-scumming and experimenting with various tactics.

If you want an easier strategy game, then I recommend you try The Iron Rose's ini edits (I'd just search her username in the Games XCOM thread). She seems to keep the edits up-to-date with the various Long War releases, and she also seems like a nice enough gal so if you PM her or something you might get some help in case you're not comfortable modding the mod. There's also the Dynamic War option which is supposed to shorten the game, I think the default is 0.5 which presumably makes a campaign about as long as the Vanilla campaign but who the hell knows and the feature is always undergoing fixes, but people play and enjoy Dynamic War so its worth a shot.

If you try Long War first and decide you don't like it, go back to vanilla. Long War has an uninstaller, and if that doesn't work you can always verify the game or whatever steam uses to reset the game to the standard install.

edit: Keep in mind that by playing Long War you're being a beta tester

Thanks!

I should mention I've been loosely following this thread, though I haven't been watching every video. Still, Long War is lots of fun and I implore people to try it out after they've beaten EU or EW.

I say that just so that you have a basic grip on all the systems in new-XCOM. Basic stuff like setting overwatch, rarely if ever dashing, figuring out base management et cetera et cetera. It's the sort of stuff you'll prolly figure out by the time you're halfway through the game.

I also wanna take a moment to plug Dynamic War. I'm on my current Dynamic War playthrough and I find it to be very similar to vanilla EW in a good way. I got most of the way through a b14 (I think) campaign without Dynamic War and I found it to be a bit of a slog, albeit a really fun one.

But yeah! If there's anything you want to change about Long War just ask me and I'll poke around. I've started digging into hex editing LW as well, which lets you change a lot more things than just plain jane .ini modding does.

Personally I play on Classic with a buuuunch of .ini edits and PatcherGUI mods. I also find liberal use of the Dev Console can make your games lots of fun too.

Anyway if there's any specific requests just drop me a line and I'll see what I can do. Even if it's not available to change in the .ini.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 30, 2015

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyway if there's any specific requests just drop me a line and I'll see what I can do. Even if it's not available to change in the .ini.

I have a couple things I've been looking for. Should we go find you in the Games thread, or use PMs or an email address, etc?

VV: Ok. I don't have PMs on here, but I'll go over to the Nexus. Thanks!

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 30, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Akratic Method posted:

I have a couple things I've been looking for. Should we go find you in the Games thread, or use PMs or an email address, etc?

PMs or games is ideal. I'll give emails via PMs but not publicly, sorry. Don't feel comfortable with that.

You could also message me on the nexus and I can give you my email there if you want.

E: Nexus Profile for those that don't have PMs: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/user/2177762-vazeron1/

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 30, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ProfessorBooty posted:

Tough to say. The cynic in me says that they found out how to give limited ammo to pistols. In reality I think it has something to do with the fact that you can pack some seriously dangerous side arms such as the sawed off shotgun. With unlimited ammo I could give a trooper the sawed off shotgun, some weak, high mobility primary weapon, and just run around blasting everything in the face every turn with drat high mobility.

If I remember right, giving/removing unlimited ammo literally just involves adding/removing a flag from the guns line in the game files. I don't think anything would stop you from giving some side arms ammo and others unlimited. Given how the lp is 34 missions in and we could probably count the pistol shots on one hand, I think you can fairly safely say that they could use some kind of a buff, otherwise why have them exist?

Mostly I think sidearms have unlimited ammo for the cause of your first reason. The long war devs hate you and want your dudes to die.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Endomorphic posted:

This. If you change it and then something XCOM happens to Megane, how are you going to feel?

:xcom: is how you will feel.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Dinictus posted:

"Dodger" Sheep Dodger

"Roger," Sheep Dodger
SD IS a pilot, after all. :patriot:

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Wow, that Livingiseasy guy sure moves fast when he needs to, and is pretty lucky to boot! I'm sure Dyingishard for him as others have brought up already.

Also, welcome to the air team, Sheep Dodger! You'll find plasma moves a bit faster than your average sheep, but the principles of dodging tend to be very broadly applicable from one thing to another. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" and all that.

ModeWondershot fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 30, 2015

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Ideas of mine:

"Brainvat" Sheep-Dodger
"Undead" Sheep-Dodger
"2nd Chance" S.Dodger

I'm going to suggest "Black Knight" S.Dodger because I like to be clever and like monty python references.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I was also going to put my Rookie name in the Interceptor volunteer pile.

But I may have forgotten last night. >.>

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Veloxyll posted:

I was also going to put my Rookie name in the Interceptor volunteer pile.

But I may have forgotten last night. >.>

You're relatively close to being a soldier. We took Fat Samurai and Hooly Booly out on missions tonight, after that its Lotish, Yami Fenrir, Akratic Method, Aeromancia, then you. the next two interceptor slots (including the one mentioned during this video) are taken - Is it fair that I put you on standby for the next pilot, and if your rookie name comes up first to put you on soldier duty?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ProfessorBooty posted:

You're relatively close to being a soldier. We took Fat Samurai and Hooly Booly out on missions tonight, after that its Lotish, Yami Fenrir, Akratic Method, Aeromancia, then you. the next two interceptor slots (including the one mentioned during this video) are taken - Is it fair that I put you on standby for the next pilot, and if your rookie name comes up first to put you on soldier duty?

Yup. that's fine. One way or the other I will die heroically serve X-Com!

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

This is honestly quite interesting. I'll sign up for a round of plasma to the face shooting aliens. don't care for region, gender, or class, just want sign up and die horribly kill Exalts and Aliens.

Keep up with the fun videos.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Didn't see it mentioned, but there is a second layer of reference to "Close Encounters."

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I am about 2 months in on my first LW run. Does this seem like a healthy amount of engineers? It's May 22.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 30, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there's definitely no "Order Interceptors" button by each continent's airbase in the hangar menu?

post a screenshot

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

there's definitely no "Order Interceptors" button by each continent's airbase in the hangar menu?

post a screenshot

I found it. Thanks so much!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Truecon420 posted:

I am about 2 months in on my first LW run. Does this seem like a healthy amount of engineers? It's May 22.

How did you get so much other stuff?! Or are you just not spending fragments, meld, etc? I'm in June and am struggling to come up with another 100 fragments for Advanced Gauss... and that's with skipping the laser tiers.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

How did you get so much other stuff?! Or are you just not spending fragments, meld, etc? I'm in June and am struggling to come up with another 100 fragments for Advanced Gauss... and that's with skipping the laser tiers.

I just built my first genetics lab, and I've been doing pretty well tactically. I cant spend my resources on most stuff, the only resource I really need is cash currently. I can't built gauss.... I can research laser weapons though. Did I do something wrong? I have 2 labs running and I've already interrogated my first little dude.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Truecon420 posted:

I just built my first genetics lab, and I've been doing pretty well tactically. I cant spend my resources on most stuff, the only resource I really need is cash currently. I can't built gauss.... I can research laser weapons though. Did I do something wrong? I have 2 labs running and I've already interrogated my first little dude.

You seem to have a ton more stuff than me, so I doubt you're doing anything wrong. But I'm only six months into my first playthrough, so I really have no idea. I made a (terrible?) decision to not look at the tech tree and play mostly blind, so it might make sense to do lasers first. But some weird combination made Gauss weapons pop up on the options before I'd done lasers, so I figured I'd skip straight to that.

I've had a ton of supply-barge landings that I've fought through, which has been good and bad but I think made my game an outlier: I get the impression that after beating those missions (and gently caress those, they end with a squad of six Outsiders) the amount of meld per canister plummets, and there seem to be fewer aliens on missions (always Light presence on abductions). So on the one hand missions are easier, but on the other I've gotten way fewer fragments and meld is at a premium because each canister is 5-8 instead of the 10-15 it seemed to more commonly be before the barges started landing.

On the other hand I have an assload of alloys and elerium that I've been giving out like candy for engineers and scientists. But I recall ProfessorBooty saying late game, fragments become the limiting factor, and I am definitely not well placed to deal with that. So we'll see.

Edit: I am now on the Battleship Raid from the Zhang DLC missions, and since the gauss guns aren't done yet, I think I made an awful mistake skipping lasers. Everything we do just bounces harmlessly off of cyberdiscs. Rockets? 3 damage. Sniper shot, after a shredder rocket? Another 3 damage. I'm not sure this is even mathematically possible.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 1, 2015

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

You seem to have a ton more stuff than me, so I doubt you're doing anything wrong. But I'm only six months into my first playthrough, so I really have no idea. I made a (terrible?) decision to not look at the tech tree and play mostly blind, so it might make sense to do lasers first. But some weird combination made Gauss weapons pop up on the options before I'd done lasers, so I figured I'd skip straight to that.

I've had a ton of supply-barge landings that I've fought through, which has been good and bad but I think made my game an outlier: I get the impression that after beating those missions (and gently caress those, they end with a squad of six Outsiders) the amount of meld per canister plummets, and there seem to be fewer aliens on missions (always Light presence on abductions). So on the one hand missions are easier, but on the other I've gotten way fewer fragments and meld is at a premium because each canister is 5-8 instead of the 10-15 it seemed to more commonly be before the barges started landing.

On the other hand I have an assload of alloys and elerium that I've been giving out like candy for engineers and scientists. But I recall ProfessorBooty saying late game, fragments become the limiting factor, and I am definitely not well placed to deal with that. So we'll see.

Before I made my second lab I was getting +15 meld for at least 6-7 battles. That's how I got so much, now I'm down to 8. I also really havent spent my fragments on anything. I'm playing research by ear as well, it's been interesting so far. I've learned a lot just from reading this thread

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Akratic Method posted:

Beam Lasers stems from Alien Weaponry, while Gauss Weapons stems from Alien Materials and Experimental Warfare. You'll eventually need Alien Weaponry to progress into Pulse/Plasma, but skipping to Gauss for production values is a legitimate if risky strategy.

quote:

Edit: I am now on the Battleship Raid from the Zhang DLC missions, and since the gauss guns aren't done yet, I think I made an awful mistake skipping lasers. Everything we do just bounces harmlessly off of cyberdiscs. Rockets? 3 damage. Sniper shot, after a shredder rocket? Another 3 damage. I'm not sure this is even mathematically possible.
Cyberdisks are a massive pain, yeah. The way I ended up doing that mission - with ballistics - was bringing two rocketeers with rocket/shredder and creeping very, very painfully. I still lost a scout by the end. I ended up having three of the drat cyberdisks, including the jerk that spawns, active, when you poke the doors.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

One weird reason this can be a bad starting location. Also, why shotguns can be problem solvers.
We changed how we're recording voice audio - Sorry for transition issues.

:siren:Congratulations ChaosDragon in making Corporal! ChaosDragon needs a nickname! (though I kind of like Daffy):siren:

Perk Talk

Will to Survive v. Executioner v. Ranger

We have two statistics perks and a tanky perk. Platoon will be taking Will to Survive, mostly for the spare will - I think I'll give my bulletwizards Will to Survive as well.

For Executioner and Ranger I guess it depends on what you use the gunner for. I like most of my gunners to be anti-armor, meaning they'll be getting the first or second shot in on a holotargeted robot with a big stack of HP, so Ranger will be better as the +1 damage gives a better HEAT bonus. The +10% crit chance is kind of a wash because this is one of two perks that gunners get that increases crit chance at all, and the SAW/LMG gives +0% crit bonus. But with later perks the +10% aim can have good synergy. Still, I'm all about more damage.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You sound like you have a cold Commander Professor Booty

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Gridlocked posted:

You sound like you have a cold Commander Professor Booty

Yeah - We're moving over to Lavalier microphones. I was using an omnidirectional mic so it picked up more of the room (giving me the 'hollow' sound), and because my voice is kind of big and bassy it also was picked up rather well on Kidneyman's microphone. Its really hard to test this stuff before a video because we're not speaking naturally. I also found during the course of editing that Kidneyman likes scratching his sternum when he's thinking. I think I unlocked the secret to editing the audio sometime last night , so hopefully it will sound better Friday. We'll both be using cardioid in videos subsequent to Friday which should sound even better.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

What voice are you using for Kaboom? It really doesn't fit with the rest of the voices we've heard from long war/xcom vanilla.

E: Did the seeker at the end get infected with Acid? It looks like the debuff popped up but I would've thought mechanical units are immune.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 1, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Ephphatha posted:

What voice are you using for Kaboom? It really doesn't fit with the rest of the voices we've heard from long war/xcom vanilla.

I forget. Unfortunately with volunteer voice actors around the world studio qualities differ and in my opinion Kaboom has one of the lower-quality added voice-packs.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I noticed about 33:45 in you noticed Niko couldn't move as far as you wanted, I think it was based on the fact you had someone in the way. XCOM has always seemed weird with the pathing when it tries to get around people to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

drat, that was either the luckiest thin man we've ever seen or maybe the bug doesn't apply to x-com members, which would be hilariously :xcom: in nature. I'm also going to second Daffy as Chaodragon's nickname, I quite like it personally.

Another Bomb disposal? Sign me up. :getin:

• Locked thread