Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

This was not my experience with it. Did they change the frequency of the F2P stuff since two years ago?
Yeah, it's a lot more forgiving now and they introduced a "battle" system where you can put teams of your dinos against other players' teams, and it's a pretty efficient way to earn "dollars" (the F2P currency).

The early game is arguably the biggest "grind" as you set up a good income base to buy/upgrade your animals and poo poo, but things snowball in your favor pretty rapidly if you keep with it. Even if I only check in once a day and collect coins, my three parks rake in about a million coins a day (and even more if I check in more frequently).

duz posted:

They have a new version called Jurassic World that fixes some of the issues of the old version, I've been enjoying it slightly more and hope it eventually gets the aquatic/glacier parks.
I'd love to play the new game, but my 5th gen iPod touch is not supported. :smith:
The app installs, and while it's running and downloading content, I get an error where it says my device is not supported.
They've been slowly rolling out compatibility updates for older devices so maybe mine will work eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Saw this movie over the weekend. Waste of potential.

I thought this movie was just some sellout cash in bad movie. It turned out to be something worse. I say worse because this had the potential to be a fun, goofy flick, but it took until 95% of the movie was over to find its voice. The last 10 minutes were genuinely fun and I was laughing my rear end off. The rest of the movie was a chore to watch with "serious" moments that came from out of nowhere. For example, why do I care that the kids parents are getting a divorce? It doesn't build the characters in any way and the crying kid looked like he was laughing.

Its definitely the worst of the 4 Jurassic Park movies, and its a shame because it actually had potential.

CG was still the worst I've seen in the last 5 years. That was some made for TV garbage. Anyone who was a part of the CG department should be ashamed.

Yeah Jurassic World basically had the same quality.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 30, 2015

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Beefstew posted:

Also, he was literally me when I was 5. Like, it's kind of uncanny; even my family members pointed it out. I also recognized several of the toy dinosaurs in his room as ones that I had when I was little. :3:

I didn't recognize any of his toy dinosaurs; I did recognize several of his toy robots.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Schwarzwald posted:

I didn't recognize any of his toy dinosaurs; I did recognize several of his toy robots.

There was a severe lack of Carnegie Museum dino figures :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hunterhr posted:

There was a severe lack of Carnegie Museum dino figures :colbert:
gently caress that, they should have had actual no-joke classic Jurassic Park toys hidden on his shelves as easter eggs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Watched it a couple of days ago while barely remembering the first one, to the point that I suspect I might have never watched it. Enjoyed it a lot, even with the parts somewhat improabable parts (the I-Rex can apparently identify a foreign object that was presumbably implanted on it since forever?); the raptor-Indominus team up did not bother me in the least, because the movie provided enough justification (raptors are pack animals, I-Rex is part raptor, raptors figure out that they can probably take on the naked monkeys with their new friend) and also because interspecies friendship is wonderful and I love it and I will never not appreciate it when it appears in a movie.

The only thing that I would call a real problem were the humans, who are boring and generic: Here is the cold-hearted businesswoman who learns that people aren't numbers! Over there is the tough marine with an heart of gold! And here is the prodigy child, so smart and yet so sensible! Ugh.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xenomrph posted:

gently caress that, they should have had actual no-joke classic Jurassic Park toys hidden on his shelves as easter eggs.

They should've been Jurassic World toys, to establish what a merchandising and cultural juggernaut the park is in this world. Even the view finder he uses should've been Jurassic World branded, but showing the building of the park or some other cool, exposition stuff.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The iRex/raptor scene was cool because the raptors made intros, but then they all tried to refer to Owen to see what HE thought. He never got to answer because the Ingen guy started the attack with no concern for the raptors, which Owen had repeatedly been telling people not to do.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

PriorMarcus posted:

They should've been Jurassic World toys, to establish what a merchandising and cultural juggernaut the park is in this world. Even the view finder he uses should've been Jurassic World branded, but showing the building of the park or some other cool, exposition stuff.

The first one had a bunch of merch that was exactly the same as real things you could buy. Like, they probably just raided the chinese factory an hour before filming those scenes.

Maybe not so crazy today but back in '93 I was psyched I could buy the exact same lunch box as the movie. AND the thermos was designed like a cool dino embryo containment chamber.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

turtlecrunch posted:

The iRex/raptor scene was cool because the raptors made intros, but then they all tried to refer to Owen to see what HE thought. He never got to answer because the Ingen guy started the attack with no concern for the raptors, which Owen had repeatedly been telling people not to do.

Yeah, that really was a great "social cues" moment.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but where are people getting the idea that Bryce Dallas Howard's character was to blame for everything going tits up and is therefore a villain of some kind?

Urgh I'm so annoyed that they made a point of making it look like her being career-orientated was a bad thing. Like, ok, she didn't respect the animals and treated them like props and she kinda learned to care about them a little, but the whole YOULL WANT KIDS SOMEDAY and her falling into Chris Pratt's unbelievably boring perfect arms was so loving lame.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xguard86 posted:

The first one had a bunch of merch that was exactly the same as real things you could buy. Like, they probably just raided the chinese factory an hour before filming those scenes.

Maybe not so crazy today but back in '93 I was psyched I could buy the exact same lunch box as the movie. AND the thermos was designed like a cool dino embryo containment chamber.
You mean like one of these?

I went digging through my old boxes of stuff and stumbled across it. I also found this:

I haven't found everything yet, but that's the majority of it I think.

Also a bunch of baby dinosaurs:

The old JP toys came with trading cards specific to each toy. I found one of them:

:eyepop: Holy poo poo, Tim, I don't think that's very safe!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you're surrounded by raptors, you don't really give a gently caress about safe.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Toaster Beef posted:

I totally get and agree with most of the criticism I've seen, but I don't care. Movie was Big Dumb Fun, and I enjoyed it.

Same. The only thing I wanted from this movie is to not be awful and also to be fun, and it succeeded. It might've taken too long to get going, and it didn't really need another level of bad guy-ness added to it when corporate hubris was already a villain, but drat it was fun.

I don't know what they'll do for a sequel though. If no guests were killed I could see them sweeping it under the rug and reopening the park, but....

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BJPaskoff posted:

Same. The only thing I wanted from this movie is to not be awful and also to be fun, and it succeeded. It might've taken too long to get going, and it didn't really need another level of bad guy-ness added to it when corporate hubris was already a villain, but drat it was fun.

I don't know what they'll do for a sequel though. If no guests were killed I could see them sweeping it under the rug and reopening the park, but....
I could see them reopening the park anyway, it's not like this is the first theme park in human history to have guest fatalities.

I could think of a few sequel scenarios that don't immediately return to the park, as well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress it, this movie had Jimmy Buffet double fisting margaritas during a pterosaur attack. It was dumb as poo poo but it had dinosaurs wrecking poo poo and a Dino petting zoo, I'm satisfied. The plot might as well have been a Universal Studios ride but who gives a drat, that goddam raptor was riding a t-rex. They could've slow-mo fist bumped during that scene and I probably would've went along with it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

dog days are over posted:

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but where are people getting the idea that Bryce Dallas Howard's character was to blame for everything going tits up and is therefore a villain of some kind?

Urgh I'm so annoyed that they made a point of making it look like her being career-orientated was a bad thing. Like, ok, she didn't respect the animals and treated them like props and she kinda learned to care about them a little, but the whole YOULL WANT KIDS SOMEDAY and her falling into Chris Pratt's unbelievably boring perfect arms was so loving lame.

Right, her role at the park is not to be evil CEO version of John Hammond (despite the white), she's Ray Arnold. She runs park operations. She was calling for an evac before Masrani told everyone to calm down because ACU could handle it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BJPaskoff posted:

Same. The only thing I wanted from this movie is to not be awful and also to be fun, and it succeeded.

The movie is awful, and not fun at all.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

if you think this honestly, then you're probably just a grumpy person

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did enjoy this movie, but after seeing Terminator: References, I kinda get why people didn't like this one.

Maybe World is a bit better than References, but man, I don't know any more. My head hurts and I hate my life.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

ruddiger posted:

gently caress it, this movie had Jimmy Buffet double fisting margaritas during a pterosaur attack. It was dumb as poo poo but it had dinosaurs wrecking poo poo and a Dino petting zoo, I'm satisfied. The plot might as well have been a Universal Studios ride but who gives a drat, that goddam raptor was riding a t-rex. They could've slow-mo fist bumped during that scene and I probably would've went along with it.

I have no idea who Jimmy Buffet is, but I guess that's because he's not on TV in the UK.

(edit: this is also a film which had a line early on that said something like "watch out for the Pakis (plural)", whilst "Paki" is a racial slur in the UK)

Chocolate Teapot fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 1, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wrong. Jurassic World was awesome and if you you didn't like it you probably eat poop and drink pee

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's pretty funny to me picturing smg probably watching this movie alone, hating it, then writing pages upon pages about it only to conclude "drat this movie sucks though"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

I did enjoy this movie, but after seeing Terminator: References, I kinda get why people didn't like this one.

Maybe World is a bit better than References, but man, I don't know any more. My head hurts and I hate my life.

The name is unfortunate (frankly they could've kept the real spelling for the title and the cutesy iThing spelling for the plot device) and the marketing should've left the T10K thing alone, but I liked that movie, even (and possibly especially) the Greatest Hits thing it did in the first 45 minutes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chocolate Teapot posted:

I have no idea who Jimmy Buffet is, but I guess that's because he's not on TV in the UK.

(edit: this is also a film which had a line early on that said something like "watch out for the Pakis (plural)", whilst "Paki" is a racial slur in the UK)
Jimmy Buffet is a musician, he's been around for decades. Go to YouTube and search for "margaritaville".

Also they were saying "pachys", short for pachycephalosaurus. :eng101:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

Jimmy Buffet is a musician, he's been around for decades. Go to YouTube and search for "margaritaville".

As far as I can tell that's the only thing he's ever produced, and I want to stab everyone every time that song comes on because it's so stupid.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chocolate Teapot posted:

I forgot about this. Yeah they should probably have reconsidered that line for the UK, I heard audible gasps in the audience at that part. I'm sure everybody got what they meant, but still, you hear it and kinda go 'WHAT?'

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Macaluso posted:

Wrong. Jurassic World was awesome and if you you didn't like it you probably eat poop and drink pee

The scene where the velociraptors kill all the soldiers is atrociously shot and edited, but you probably know that already. I haven't seen a person mention it, let alone praise it.

The scene where the iranosaurus rex kills the animal control guys does not fare better.

Remember the fun scene where Pratt and Chastain hide behind a jeep, and then the monster pops out beside instead? It's bad. Jumping off the waterfall? Bad scene. Nobody actually likes these scenes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's no Phantom Menace, that's for sure. Right SMG?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

kiimo posted:

It's no Phantom Menace, that's for sure.

Well, they both have only one good sequence, and the pod race is way more impressive than the T-Rex/I-Rex/velociraptor three-way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

kiimo posted:

It's no Phantom Menace, that's for sure. Right SMG?

I was thinking exactly that: y'all should remember this next time you complain about Jar Jar Binks or whatever new meme.

Jurassic World is hugely incompetent compared to the Star Wars prequels, and has far less dinosaur action. If this qualifies as 'great fun, I turned off my brain to become a child', then nerd rage has finally died.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 1, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well, they both have only one good sequence, and the pod race is way more impressive than the T-Rex/I-Rex/velociraptor three-way.

this is correct even when the dinosaur battle is a suitable climax while the podrace serves zero purpose in the scope of Midochlorian Madness

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I guess my point is if this is the new thread that you're going to come in and poo poo up I'm out of here.

This movie was extremely enjoyable and I had a great time. Any further discussion is just going to retroactively diminish that experience so I prefer to keep my happy memory intact.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

I was thinking exactly that: y'all should remember this next time you complain about Jar Jar Binks or whatever new meme.

Jurassic World is hugely incompetent compared to the Star Wars prequels, and has far less dinosaur action. If this qualifies as 'great fun, I turned off my brain to become a child', then nerd rage has finally died.

Can't you just get probated again or turn your brain off forever? Robots aren't programmed to enjoy stuff, we get it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

kiimo posted:

I guess my point is if this is the new thread that you're going to come in and poo poo up I'm out of here.

This movie was extremely enjoyable and I had a great time. Any further discussion is just going to retroactively diminish that experience so I prefer to keep my happy memory intact.

You might remember this shot from the movie. Unless I am misremembering, it is the only shot of the Gallimimuses in the entire film. Obviously, it's a reference back to this specific shot:

You have the camera mounted on a car or something, tracking the action. The dinosaurs zip past here and there. However, in Jurassic Park, this shot both featured a lot more motion, and came near the end of an entire scene.

Watch that clip and pay attention to the shot choices, editing and the movement of the camera. You can note how the very first shot presents the characters all isolated and bunched together at the very bottom-center of the frame. This shot lasts a full eight seconds and shows them just climbing a hill. By Jurassic World standards, this is an eternity.

There is a full minute of screentime leading up to the explosion of action, where Spielberg employs a variety of techniques to make the audience lean in for a better look - before the dinosaurs suddenly burst out from behind the hill. They enter the scene as tiny specks, and are largely hidden behind trees, the characters, and the terrain. The camera subtly moves more and more as the scene progresses, until it's finally chasing the characters at high speed. And the dinosaurs are rarely the focus of a given composition. The emphasis in on the smooth motion of the entire flock, and the reactions of the protagonists.

Jurassic World has none of this, in any scene, which is why people believe it has 'worse CGI'. It's actually everything else that's worse. It's static and perfunctory.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 1, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The CGI is pretty bad too.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

You might remember this shot from the movie. Unless I am misremembering, it is the only shot of the Gallimimuses in the entire film. Obviously, it's a reference back to this specific shot:

You have the camera mounted on a car or something, tracking the action. The dinosaurs zip past here and there. However, in Jurassic Park, this shot both featured a lot more motion, and came near the end of an entire scene.

Watch that clip and pay attention to the shot choices, editing and the movement of the camera. You can note how the very first shot presents the characters all isolated and bunched together at the very bottom-center of the frame. This shot lasts a full eight seconds and shows them just climbing a hill. By Jurassic World standards, this is an eternity.

There is a full minute of screentime leading up to the explosion of action, where Spielberg employs a variety of techniques to make the audience lean in for a better look - before the dinosaurs suddenly burst out from behind the hill. They enter the scene as tiny specks, and are largely hidden behind trees, the characters, and the terrain. The camera subtly moves more and more as the scene progresses, until it's finally chasing the characters at high speed. And the dinosaurs are rarely the focus of a given composition. The emphasis in on the smooth motion of the entire flock, and the reactions of the protagonists.

Jurassic World has none of this, in any scene, which is why people believe it has 'worse CGI'. It's actually everything else that's worse. It's static and perfunctory.

What the gently caress are you even saying?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Parachute posted:

Did you try reading his post?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parachute posted:

Ahem

Jurassic World Has lovely Direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It also has some pretty lovely writing. And editing.

• Locked thread