Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The book never refers to him speaking for the Maiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You're probably conflating that with the description of Dior having the qualities of Elves, Men, and Maiar in his face.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, that's it. I really thought that passage referred to Earendil, weird.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

My take is it was a dwarven effort to imitate the Silmarils. It did not, of course, reach the same peak, but it was still real loving good.

I thought they found it in the mountain, or is that just from the film?

I almost wanted to think there's one in every mountain and it really is the smoking heart of the mountain but now I'm mixing up world of Warcraft (the true spiritual successor to Tolkien) so take that as you will

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anilEhilated posted:

edit: I also seem to remember that Luthien didn't give up her elvish ancestry - she talked Mandos into giving her and Beren a second life and I think they didn't age or anything.
No, she gave up her elvishness to get Beren's life back and to ensure that when they died (again) they'd both go wherever it is Men go instead of her going to the Halls of Mandos.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

concerned mom posted:

I almost wanted to think there's one in every mountain and it really is the smoking heart of the mountain but now I'm mixing up world of Warcraft (the true spiritual successor to Tolkien) so take that as you will

They did find it in the mountain.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

computer parts posted:

They did find it in the mountain.
You would think they might have perhaps cut it, that's what's typically done with gems...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nessus posted:

You would think they might have perhaps cut it, that's what's typically done with gems...
I think the idea was it was so bitchin' and perfect when they found it that they didn't want to.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oracle posted:

I think the idea was it was so bitchin' and perfect when they found it that they didn't want to.

But the Arkenstone was cut, I thought? That's why all the sperges experts here are saying that it couldn't be the Simaril lost beneath the world.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thrain and Thorin could not have held the Arkenstone if it was a silmaril. Or Meadros' Silmaril.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I like to think the arkenstone was a practice piece of Feanor's. Like one of Da Vinci's charcoal sketches.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like to think the arkenstone was a practice piece of Feanor's. Like one of Da Vinci's charcoal sketches.

That is what I have thought as well - though how do you square the circle of it being embedded in the bowels of the Lonely Mountain? Maybe a result of the War of Wrath?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Morgoth stole it from Formenos, Ungoliant ate it; pooped out in beleriland, picked up by dwarf going east, lost in bottom of lonely mountain

Or gift from Felgund to first men. Stolen by easterners. Brought east; lost in mountain.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

euphronius posted:

Morgoth stole it from Formenos, Ungoliant ate it; pooped out in beleriland, picked up by dwarf going east, lost in bottom of lonely mountain

Or gift from Felgund to first men. Stolen by easterners. Brought east; lost in mountain.

"Of the Excrement of Ungoliant"

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

concerned mom posted:

This is my new cannon. Literally the heart of a mountain, mountains as semi-alive aspects of Arda, their sheer physical presence on the landscape giving them a life of their own.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

It's the Lonely Mountain because the Dwarves ripped out its heart, and therefore its ability to love.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Just in case anyone hasn't seen this yet:

The Most Metal Deaths in Middle-earth, Ranked

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Runcible Cat posted:

That writer is totally wrong about Glorfindel. They aren't the same Glorfindel.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

concerned mom posted:

That writer is totally wrong about Glorfindel. They aren't the same Glorfindel.

I think they are.

Also that is a good list. Fingolfin has the most metal death by far.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC there was some evidence for both, but Tolkien died before he could clarify the issue.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quibble about Fingolfin: he didn't get smashed with Grond, he loving tripped and Morgoth stepped on him. I think that regrettably loses him some metal points (which is probably why the author elided that bit).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of, thanks for reminding me to check: Better Myths has more silmarillion updates

http://bettermyths.com/category/mythos/silmarillion/

Aaawwwwww yeeeeeeeeaaaahhh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He tripped in a crater created by Grond smashes which is metal.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Runcible Cat posted:

I would have included Alcagon the Black: turning back the armies of Valinor and then getting lasered by the Morning Star until your corpse crushes a mountain range is pretty loving metal.

EDIT: Also, didn't the Simaril burn out Luthien so that she died prematurely? I'd bump her up the ranks for that.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 25, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I don't think he's quite right in characterizing the movie's treatment of the Sauron/Isildur confrontation as being materially different from the text. My reading was that Sauron killed both Gil-galad and Elendil, and Elendil broke Narsil under him; but Isildur picked up the shards and cut the Ring off Sauron, and that act was what destroyed Sauron's physical form. I had always pictured somehow that Isildur had fought Sauron to his knees and he cut the Ring off him forcibly; but the movie's interpretation immediately made me go "Oh! That makes a lot more sense." But in either case saying Elendil got stripped of his kill by Peter Jackson sounds wrong.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: Also, didn't the Simaril burn out Luthien so that she died prematurely? I'd bump her up the ranks for that.

Yes good memory. It was after she came back as a human and the Silmaril was put in the Naufilgir or the Dwarves Necklace I can never spell it. poo poo I only remember that because I read it like last week.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Data Graham posted:

Also I don't think he's quite right in characterizing the movie's treatment of the Sauron/Isildur confrontation as being materially different from the text. My reading was that Sauron killed both Gil-galad and Elendil, and Elendil broke Narsil under him; but Isildur picked up the shards and cut the Ring off Sauron, and that act was what destroyed Sauron's physical form. I had always pictured somehow that Isildur had fought Sauron to his knees and he cut the Ring off him forcibly; but the movie's interpretation immediately made me go "Oh! That makes a lot more sense." But in either case saying Elendil got stripped of his kill by Peter Jackson sounds wrong.

From my reading, it sounded more like Elendil and Gil-Galad did most of the heavy lifting in bringing down Sauron, and Isildur 'finished' the fight by cutting the Ring from his finger.

To use the WoW comparison everyone is so fond of, I pictured it like a raid fight where your Main Tank and lead DPS go down when the boss is at .05% health-as long as everyone keeps their poo poo together you can still clear the boss. And for the most part the Last Alliance did (and then Isildur then rolled Need and the guild fractured from the drama and this is where the analogy break down).

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Someone in the comments pointed out that Ar-Pharazon had a pretty metal death as well: sailed to war against the Valar but stopped when God himself stepped in and reshaped the whole loving world, burying Ar-Pharazon and his army under the earth until the Last Battle.

:black101:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Radio! posted:

Someone in the comments pointed out that Ar-Pharazon had a pretty metal death as well: sailed to war against the Valar but stopped when God himself stepped in and reshaped the whole loving world, burying Ar-Pharazon and his army under the earth until the Last Battle.

:black101:

Actually I was wondering, since Tolkein dropped the whole Last Battle thing from the mythology, is Ar-Pharazon and crew just stuck there permanently then?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SirPhoebos posted:

Actually I was wondering, since Tolkein dropped the whole Last Battle thing from the mythology, is Ar-Pharazon and crew just stuck there permanently then?

I don't think they survived. :v:

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

"Of the Excrement of Ungoliant"

The lost chapter of the Silmarillion.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Runcible Cat posted:

This used to be my desktop wallpaper for about a year in college because of how metal I though Fingolfin was.

There is an entire metal album about the Silmarillion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRdBwXslqbA This is about Fingolfin vs Morgoth

Any video in the "up next" section that has the same picture as the linked video is part of the Silmarillion story.

They turned their album into a musical of the book - pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoyToHOWSV8 Another goodie.

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 25, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How Tolkien is metal though?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of Tolkien metal. Sometimes even taking pretty weird references.
Nightfall in Middle-Earth is genuinely great, though. You can tell they really loved the source material.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 25, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Metal, as an aesthetic, is what you get if you combine Tolkien and Loudness.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Was the Arkenstone supposed to be a device to illustrate the base desire of Dwarves or was it itself an item with a corruptible influence (not unlike the ring?)

In otherwords was the lust Thorin had completely innate or did the stone play a part? Anyone know?

Obviously the movie suggests the latter but from the book I am inclined towards the former.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thunder Moose posted:

Was the Arkenstone supposed to be a device to illustrate the base desire of Dwarves or was it itself an item with a corruptible influence (not unlike the ring?)

In otherwords was the lust Thorin had completely innate or did the stone play a part? Anyone know?

Obviously the movie suggests the latter but from the book I am inclined towards the former.

In the film it's both, really. The Arkenstone represents the Divine Right of Kings. Thorin's entire quest is to reclaim it so he can lead the Dwarves to battle and overthrow the Usurper, etc. In a way, it's very similar to the Iron Throne in Game of Thrones. The throne itself isn't literally a corrupting influence but it is the reason why so many people die and so many others go off to war. In the Hobbit films the Arkenstone is a combination of the Iron Throne and the One Ring.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Exactly what species did Morgoth corrupt to make the dragons and drakes of M.E.?

edit: this is also not the best place to ask given its a movie question but in the Hobbit was Thrandiul's brief moment of anger towards Thorin wherein he shows his serious facial wounds a reflection of his elvish soul being "scarred" by the great wars of his past? Not sure what PJ was going for there.

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 30, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
His scars were from fighting dragons from the north. He says something like "you're not the only one who knows the threat of dragons" as he flashes the scars.

And the dragons came from who know where. Big wormy things. Then he put wings on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Thunder Moose posted:

Exactly what species did Morgoth corrupt to make the dragons and drakes of M.E.?

edit: this is also not the best place to ask given its a movie question but in the Hobbit was Thrandiul's brief moment of anger towards Thorin wherein he shows his serious facial wounds a reflection of his elvish soul being "scarred" by the great wars of his past? Not sure what PJ was going for there.

I don't think there's any definitive answer for your first question. The precise origin of Dragons, Orcs, Trolls, Fell-Beasts, etc were never pinned down. Even the stuff in Silmarillion is just what the Elves think.

I thought Thranduil's scars and dialog in The Hobbit movies were simply meant to indicate that he'd been on the bad side of a run-in with a Dragon at some point in the past, meant to justify why he refused to go up against Smaug in Erebor.