Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

not entirely true...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I just don't get why everyone in this thread feels like it's a requirement to be all Three Olives about your coffee product recommendations.

I mean I know GOONS and whatnot, but you seriously don't have a single suggestion for people that just want a simple basic under-$100 Mr. Coffee machine or something?

Pour over kit = sub $100

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can just buy a pour over cone for $10-15 and some boiling water. It takes 3-4 minutes of work to pour the water. And this is how most of the fancy coffee shops make your coffee.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I just don't get why everyone in this thread feels like it's a requirement to be all Three Olives about your coffee product recommendations.

I mean I know GOONS and whatnot, but you seriously don't have a single suggestion for people that just want a simple basic under-$100 Mr. Coffee machine or something?

French press, stove-top kettle or cheap electric kettle, capresso infinity grinder.

A bad drip machine, or using pre-ground beans is going to make your coffee significantly worse.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
The initial investment for a vacuum/syphon set-up is cheap, too, but unfortunately fragile. If you aren't a klutz (like me), upkeep is also cheap and easy.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The problem is that the vast majority of drip machines are awful, and the only ones that aren't awful are at least $150. Below that, they really are all equivalent, so it makes sense that there wouldn't be a recommendation for them. You might as well just get a free coffee maker from Gevalia or something.

If you're willing to pour the water yourself instead of having a machine drip it for you, you can save $120 ($135 if you already have a hot water kettle) by going the pourover route:

Clever coffee dripper or other pourover cone - $15.
Hot water kettle - $15.
Hario mini mill - $30.

Grant total: $60.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 29, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Anyone have a Vario Mill by Baratza? I'm looking to upgrade my grinder since my current Capresso is starting to make too much dust and not very nice grinds.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those are designed for espresso. If you're looking to do normal stuff like drip or french press their $200 model is pretty fantastic.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Right now I use a moka pot, aeropress, and bonavita for when company comes over. My next big buy later on will be a proper espresso machine.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ded posted:

Anyone have a Vario Mill by Baratza? I'm looking to upgrade my grinder since my current Capresso is starting to make too much dust and not very nice grinds.

I have the Vario and I loving love it. Like Mu Zeta said, though, I would only get it if you're planning to get into espresso (which is a whole other money pit). It does an excellent job for pourover too, obviously (I use it with my V60 and Kalita Wave and it's delicious), but what you're really paying that extra money for is the espresso grind.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can I get a grinder recommendation specifically for cold brew? I'll be grinding about 8 oz of beans at a time. My budget is $200 give or take.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=586R

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Re. grinders I've been happy with my new M2D > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY4RIQZMRMw

I use it for Espresso and am yet to experiment with courser grinding for my French Press.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

buy this

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Seconded, just bought one about a month ago to replace my dead capresso infinity, and there's a noticeable increase in cup quality.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Good video on Espresso > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC4_Aa49oR0

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blocked in the U.S. I wonder if this episode is up on Netflix, though...Will report back! I love A.B.

edit: Nope. :(

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 30, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Reinanigans posted:

Blocked in the U.S. I wonder if this episode is up on Netflix, though...Will report back! I love A.B.

edit: Nope. :(

How stupid, I'm in Australia and I can watch it. I also like this one, its a good channel for other cooking too > https://youtu.be/swvxS_V2Dvg

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sydin posted:

Seconded, just bought one about a month ago to replace my dead capresso infinity, and there's a noticeable increase in cup quality.

I'll back this up too. I went from an Infinity to a Breville Smart Grinder and had the same increase in quality. I chose the Smart Grinder over it largely because I really liked that it had a portafilter holder for doing espresso. If I were doing mostly large amounts of coffee for cold brew, I'd go Virtuoso. Snag that while there are still refurbs available.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Bonavita that I ordered because of this thread is supposed to come in today. I bought some whole coffee beans and I'm gonna grind them. Will come back to this thread with my opinion after I've tasted the coffee.

This had better be the best loving coffee I've ever put in my mouth before sweeteners. :colbert:

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

Nobody wants my Gaggia Classic? :(
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725661

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Bonavita that I ordered because of this thread is supposed to come in today. I bought some whole coffee beans and I'm gonna grind them. Will come back to this thread with my opinion after I've tasted the coffee.

This had better be the best loving coffee I've ever put in my mouth before sweeteners. :colbert:

If you don't grind the beans in a burr grinder you might as well be eating your own feces.

Hope this helps.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Everyone loves the Bonavita 1800TS, but how about the 1500TS?

For some reason, the 5-cup has worse ratings on Sur La Table than the 8-cup. Sucks because my personal use case is make making myself 18-oz of coffee at the most...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you don't grind the beans in a burr grinder you might as well be eating your own feces.

Hope this helps.

Uhh... I was gonna use the one that's attached to the Bonavita. Is that a burr grinder?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Honestly you're asking way too much in my opinion. I could see that price if it had a PID installed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uhh... I was gonna use the one that's attached to the Bonavita. Is that a burr grinder?

I wasn't aware they made one with an attached grinder.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Yeah, what model is that? I have never seen a Bonavita with a built in grinder.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

...... uh oh. :stare:

EDIT: So uh just out of curiosity, what's the difference between a Capresso Infinity 565 and a Capresso Infinity 565.04? No reason just wonderin' is all.

EDIT 2: Or is there a cheaper good(-ish) grinder for my beginner rear end?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 1, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

...... uh oh. :stare:

EDIT: So uh just out of curiosity, what's the difference between a Capresso Infinity 565 and a Capresso Infinity 565.04? No reason just wonderin' is all.

EDIT 2: Or is there a cheaper good(-ish) grinder for my beginner rear end?

Metal vs. Plastic housing. Function wise, nothing. The capresso really is the default entry level grinder. Nothing cheaper outside of a hand grinder is really worth recommending and I wouldn't recommend a hand grinder for a drip brewer just because of the amount of coffee you'd have to grind.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What about the 560.04? What's the difference between that and the 565.04?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

What about the 560.04? What's the difference between that and the 565.04?

Looks like it's a plastic housing painted silver.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Honestly you're asking way too much in my opinion. I could see that price if it had a PID installed.

What would be a better price? Really guessing here

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

biopanda posted:

What would be a better price? Really guessing here

Bought mine recently 2nd hand for ~$200 AUD. They were going for anywhere from $175-$250. With a new Auberins PID my total cost was about $400.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Bought mine recently 2nd hand for ~$200 AUD. They were going for anywhere from $175-$250. With a new Auberins PID my total cost was about $400.

Tack on the cost of upgraded baskets, backflush basket, cleaner and descaler, tamper, it comes out to well above what I'm asking if base unit is $250. Plus you gotta make sure the one you're getting is pre-2008

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there a huge difference between the Capressa Infinity 565.04 and the 565.05?

I'm fixing to bite the bullet on one of those.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

biopanda posted:

Tack on the cost of upgraded baskets, backflush basket, cleaner and descaler, tamper, it comes out to well above what I'm asking if base unit is $250. Plus you gotta make sure the one you're getting is pre-2008

I thought yours was a good deal :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is there a huge difference between the Capressa Infinity 565.04 and the 565.05?

I'm fixing to bite the bullet on one of those.

I think the .05 is stainless steel and the .04 is plastic. The stainless steel one is heavier and a quieter, or so I've been told. The should both grind your coffee equally well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

biopanda posted:

Check out home-barista.com forums and see what they're going for. I sold my cross land cc1 at a loss because what you paid for it with upgrades is never what you'll get back out of it. It would probably sell no problem at $200. No one cares about getting cleaner and descaler with it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Mandalay posted:

Everyone loves the Bonavita 1800TS, but how about the 1500TS?

For some reason, the 5-cup has worse ratings on Sur La Table than the 8-cup. Sucks because my personal use case is make making myself 18-oz of coffee at the most...
It appears the 1500TS is based on the 1900TS, not the 1800SS.

The SLT complaints seem to fall under two categories:

1. Insulated Carafe isn't great.
2. Shower head doesn't work so well, reducing a major selling point to "mere drip".

For what it's worth, based on my experience with the 1800SS:

1. The carafe is glass-lined. They removed the glass for the 1900/1500TS. I'm not sure how this would or should affect heat retention. When I purchased my 1800SS, I read problems with the glass shattering so I've been fairly ginger about handling it.

That said, I've used my maker several times a day (99% of the time for 4 cups at a time) for over two years without it shattering. The occasional time I've used the carafe to hold coffee for a couple of hours, it's "warm enough" for me but not at the 200 degree temperature that comes out of the head.

2. I've seen similar complaints for the 1900TS.

When I first got my 1800SS, I confirmed it worked fine but haven't investigated recently to confirm or deny (and I've taken it apart several times to clean it). The filter/basket is different and in the 1800SS, I've never experienced half of the basket being dry (due to being cone shaped?) as one of the SLT reviews said.

Personally, the more I read about the 1900TS, the less I'm inclined to upgrade to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

It appears the 1500TS is based on the 1900TS, not the 1800SS.

The SLT complaints seem to fall under two categories:

1. Insulated Carafe isn't great.
2. Shower head doesn't work so well, reducing a major selling point to "mere drip".

For what it's worth, based on my experience with the 1800SS:

1. The carafe is glass-lined. They removed the glass for the 1900/1500TS. I'm not sure how this would or should affect heat retention. When I purchased my 1800SS, I read problems with the glass shattering so I've been fairly ginger about handling it.

That said, I've used my maker several times a day (99% of the time for 4 cups at a time) for over two years without it shattering. The occasional time I've used the carafe to hold coffee for a couple of hours, it's "warm enough" for me but not at the 200 degree temperature that comes out of the head.

2. I've seen similar complaints for the 1900TS.

When I first got my 1800SS, I confirmed it worked fine but haven't investigated recently to confirm or deny (and I've taken it apart several times to clean it). The filter/basket is different and in the 1800SS, I've never experienced half of the basket being dry (due to being cone shaped?) as one of the SLT reviews said.

Personally, the more I read about the 1900TS, the less I'm inclined to upgrade to it.

I've found the stainless steel carafe keeps the coffee hot for a few hours. Plenty long enough for me.

I've also never felt like the showerhead didn't do its job in distributing the water evenly. I tend to grind medium fine these days so the water takes a little longer to filter through which wold tend to hide any unevenness, but when I first started I used a coarser medium and could see the showerhead pattern in the top of the grounds.