Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
From what I've read, SoA didn't want to put out a new console so hurriedly; and wanted to focus on the Genesis expansions instead. But since SoJ were the ones at the helm they pushed forwards despite, and probably in spite of, SoA's wishes; to which the head of SoA chose to both resign and give Nintendo a reference to SGI about their MIPS tech which became a the core of N64's design.*

*This last part is debatable as to whether SEGA is the reason Nintendo chose SGI, but at this point it's a he-said-she-said situation.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

umalt posted:

From what I've read, SoA didn't want to put out a new console so hurriedly; and wanted to focus on the Genesis expansions instead. But since SoJ were the ones at the helm they pushed forwards despite, and probably in spite of, SoA's wishes; to which the head of SoA chose to both resign and give Nintendo a reference to SGI about their MIPS tech which became a the core of N64's design.*

*This last part is debatable as to whether SEGA is the reason Nintendo chose SGI, but at this point it's a he-said-she-said situation.

Yeah SOJ really resented SOAs success with Sonic and the Genesis and pushed the Saturn hard to try to regain their supremacy over the subsidiary.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Hasters posted:

Yeah SOJ really resented SOAs success with Sonic and the Genesis and pushed the Saturn hard to try to regain their supremacy over the subsidiary.

The book Console Wars covers this pretty well. Very interesting read about Segas rise and fall in the console market.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Postal Parcel posted:

EQ2
Initial release date: November 8, 2004

WoW
Initial release date: November 23, 2004
(Source: Wikipedia)

I remember that timeframe very well because I was playing RO with a friend and he was seriously excited over WoW. I kind of mocked him for it, a little bit.

I miss those days when the genre seemed so new to me. :sigh:

Pretty much exactly what happened with poor Half-Life 2 mod Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever
Initial release date: September 13, 2007

Team Fortress 2
Initial release date: October 9, 2007

I mean :drat:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

EVE was really one of relatively few games that did the "completely hostile, unforgiving world that hates you" thing properly, really.

EVE made a loving ton of mistakes and only slightly became fun in the last few years. Much like WoW, its sorta become the de facto market share leader mostly by virtue of having been around the longest. No developer can afford to sink enough money into development to compete with WoW because at this point you aren't competing with WoW at vanilla launch, you're competing with Warlords of Draenor WoW that has what, 5 expansions? You just can't sink 10 years of development into a new title to try to compete, so you have to try to do what Blizzard did in 10 years while making a bloody fortune in less time somehow. Even if you cheat and just copy everything they're doing now and learn from them, its still insanely impossible to do. EVE is the same way with sandbox MMOs, another sandbox MMO could come along that even does things better than EVE did at launch, but will it be better than EVE is now? That's hard, even before you consider the fact that MMOs usually have one monopolistic entity in the market. (Nobody has time or money to subscribe to multiple MMOs for long, and you generally play the MMO your friends do)

Its one of the worst genres imaginable to try to break into. And sure enough, the last few years have seen lots of companies desiring all those sweet subscription fees Blizzard is getting, and all the dozens of WoW-wannbes that came after it failed HARD until they went free2play to offer some alternative to WoW to lure in a different crowd.

Everquest 1 probably has more people still playing than EQ2. WoW only took over because it re-engineered so many of the limitations of EQ, it was so much better that it flagged everybody to jump ship, and it appealed to a ton of players that EQ was too hardcore for. Blizzard themselves are smart enough to realize they should never make another MMO, it'd just cost a fortune and then half their audience would just stay on WoW unless they shut it down.

And that's not to mention the possibility that MMOs were a bit of a fad that has lost some of its appeal.

Especially as we get more games like Guild Wars 2, Destiny, or The Division which blur the lines between MMO and normal-multiplayer, I'm thinking more and more that traditional MMOs are just a completely dead genre.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Jun 29, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
EVE has always been fairly successful though. It was pretty tough to jump right in and scared off a lot of first time MMO players, but it had the depth and permanence that a very devoted subset of the MMO community wanted. Plus, there were always hilarious stories about people losing years worth of work when they got into epic insane guild battles and how there were month long negotiations treated with all the seriousness of a UN session.

After a while, the only new people joining the game had to immediately join a guild and just do scrub level poo poo for nearly a year before they get to "have fun", so that seems like a pretty bad policy for gaining new subscribers.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Everything about this advert

edit: this one also

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Decius posted:

The ad campaign for the Sega Saturn in Japan was definitely something else:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNEe04UwJ6Q

of course Japanese commercials have upskirt pantyshots. Why wouldn't they?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Also Sega of America and Sega of Japan started to fight amongst themselves over the way the consoles were managed. I want to say it was SoA that decided they wanted to support all of their consoles at the same time, comparing it to a car manufacturer offering everything from economy cars to luxury cars. That's insane, though, and could have been an outright lie to keep the Saturn from strangling the CD and 32X sales.

So for a while, the Saturn had Sega competing with itself not just on the market, but internally.

Isn't that when SoA started using the in-house "solar system" prototype names in public releases, like the Game Gear being the Mercury and the 32X being the Mars?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The basic story is that Sega Japan felt that most of Nintendo's success was from just being the first one out of the gate so they were doing everything they could to get the Saturn out fast. Sega of America wanted nothing to do with the 32x and fought tooth and nail to avoid releasing it in North America altogether. Then Nintendo went and pulled the exact opposite strategy. They released the Donkey Kong Country games, Mario RPG and a few other games that really stretched out the life of the SNES. So while Sega was rushing a half finished product out the door, Nintendo was finishing one generation on a high note and perfecting their next console.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Choco1980 posted:

Isn't that when SoA started using the in-house "solar system" prototype names in public releases, like the Game Gear being the Mercury and the 32X being the Mars?

Yeah. Wish I could find my copy of The Ultimate History of Video Games, it goes into a lot of detail about Sega's struggles to hold on to their slice of the market after carving it out so aggressively.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Wait, that's not one of those aggro-gator ads?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

Wait, that's not one of those aggro-gator ads?

http://www.slick-gifts.com/

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

bucketmouse posted:

With TF2 a big part of this was that people who were banned from servers could easily hop back on under a different account and continue being asses. Aimbots and such became far more common too since people would just play them on throwaway accounts. Overall it was really good for keeping the playerbase alive but it still had its downsides.

Agreed. On the bright side, it solidified the presence of good clans: Quality admins would vigilantly ban based on IP. And it increased the fanbase, TF2 is based on having a bunch of semi-maybe-not-totally skilled people doing cartoon violence to each other. Roadrunner cartoons relied on Wile E. Coyote being kind of a dumbass, we need a bunch of people to randomly frag each other in the funniest ways. Plus they gave all the $ people a cool newspaper-tricorner hat.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Please elaborate on why this is bad?

For those who don't know: Snuff bullets are a bullet-shaped product that loads up about 1/4-1/3 line of cocaine for insufflation (sniffing). They were the rage about 6-7 years ago. I've never been a cocaine fan but man, we used to pass those around like candy because it was so easy and quick to just twist, sniff, get a high, and pass it. Genius invention, compare it to the old method: Shaking a baggie full of coke onto some surface, hoping you got the measurement right, rolling up a paper tube, running the tube along the line while sniffing the other end. It took like 3 minutes so you'd be like "gently caress it I'm just gonna do a full line and risk getting super high"

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Jun 30, 2015

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

EVE was really one of relatively few games that did the "completely hostile, unforgiving world that hates you" thing properly, really.
But then it's a game made by sociopaths for sociopaths, so that's not surprising.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

pentyne posted:

They probably expected to become the target of some sjw campaign. Still pretty dumb, unless they're planning to update the games to use the official confederate flag (stars and bars)

The confederate battle flag (the one they're using) is the stars and bars. The national CSA flag was poo poo compared to it which is why it never got used in anything ever.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

OniPanda posted:

The national CSA flag was poo poo compared to it which is why it never got used in anything ever.

Its biggest sin was that it looked way too much like the Union flag, so they adapted the St. Andrew's Cross on the battlefield so soldiers wouldn't be confused.

After a couple of years they changed the national flag to this, but soon they realized that if there wasn't a breeze it looked like a surrender flag, so they added a big fat red stripe to the end.

Then they went and lost the war and that second set of flags really came in handy.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

OniPanda posted:

The confederate battle flag (the one they're using) is the stars and bars.

Actually, no. People today call the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia (Or Confederate Navy Jack, depending) the "Stars and Bars", but during the Civil War, "Stars and Bars" referred to the 7/9/11/13-star, 3-bar flag that was the first national flag of the Confederacy.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

Please elaborate on why this is bad?

For those who don't know: Snuff bullets are a bullet-shaped product that loads up about 1/4-1/3 line of cocaine for insufflation (sniffing). They were the rage about 6-7 years ago. I've never been a cocaine fan but man, we used to pass those around like candy because it was so easy and quick to just twist, sniff, get a high, and pass it. Genius invention, compare it to the old method: Shaking a baggie full of coke onto some surface, hoping you got the measurement right, rolling up a paper tube, running the tube along the line while sniffing the other end. It took like 3 minutes so you'd be like "gently caress it I'm just gonna do a full line and risk getting super high"

I had a bump out of one of those from a strippers cleavage. She hit it from the cameras in the champagne room.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

thewireguy posted:

I had a bump out of one of those from a strippers cleavage. She hit it from the cameras in the champagne room.

Cool story.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

OniPanda posted:

The confederate battle flag (the one they're using) is the stars and bars.

No, it's not. The stars-and-bars is the first national flag of the Confederacy, not any of Confederate battle flags.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

No, it's not. The stars-and-bars is the first national flag of the Confederacy, not any of Confederate battle flags.

The special kind of autism that can't fathom people using words incorrectly.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The special kind of autism that can't fathom people using words incorrectly.

Yo dawg, I heard you hated reading comprehension...

(Go back and look at the post that both Phanatic and I quoted - OniPanda was "correcting" pentyne.)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

thewireguy posted:

I think you're looking for this thread.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

13Pandora13 posted:

I think you're looking for this thread.

No, it happened. I also did a line off a girl's butt one time. And hit=hid. Autocorrect.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

thewireguy posted:

No, it happened. I also did a line off a girl's butt one time. And hit=hid. Autocorrect.

wow congrats thanks for sharing it

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Okay, I am going to read the backlog, sorry yall.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

thewireguy posted:

Okay, I am going to read the backlog, sorry yall.

I liked your stories.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I hate to bring back MMO chat but EQ Next has rapidly become an example of dumbass marketing. Over two years ago the developers at SOE announced all kinds of cool details and voxel technology. Most importantly, they'd be launching a voxel building game named EQ Landmark where players would build objects that would populate Next. Cool right?

Too bad Landmark was a boring laggy mess, they charged rubes money for early access, and there's been no word at all about the real game, Next, for ages.

So basically, they got a devoted player base all excited over jack poo poo. Now the well is poisoned for the player base and it'll take a lot of effort to get Next buzzing if it ever comes around.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

joshtothemaxx posted:

I hate to bring back MMO chat but EQ Next has rapidly become an example of dumbass marketing. Over two years ago the developers at SOE announced all kinds of cool details and voxel technology. Most importantly, they'd be launching a voxel building game named EQ Landmark where players would build objects that would populate Next. Cool right?

Too bad Landmark was a boring laggy mess, they charged rubes money for early access, and there's been no word at all about the real game, Next, for ages.

So basically, they got a devoted player base all excited over jack poo poo. Now the well is poisoned for the player base and it'll take a lot of effort to get Next buzzing if it ever comes around.

NEXT is dead, SOE is now Daybreak games and there will be no NEXT.
RIP

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

mind the walrus posted:

You left out the amazing part where Sega rushed the Saturn to release at E3 to try and undercut Sony, to which Sony replied with the infamous :iceburn: at their own press conference by coming out and saying "$299" ($100 less than the Saturn) and then leaving.

I have been trying to find video of this conference for years. Is there any? I would love to see the "$299" moment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

These days the instant I hear anything about Voxel-building I immediately tune it the gently caress out because it's just chasing Minecraft's coattails and I have yet to see a Minecraft-chaser that was worth a drat.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

KakerMix posted:

NEXT is dead, SOE is now Daybreak games and there will be no NEXT.
RIP

Yeah most likely. Lesson to be learned here though about hyping a pseudo-game WAY TOO loving EARLY.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Gehenomm posted:

I have been trying to find video of this conference for years. Is there any? I would love to see the "$299" moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExaAYIKsDBI

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

Yeah most likely. Lesson to be learned here though about hyping a pseudo-game WAY TOO loving EARLY.

Um, what's the mistake here? They got to charge people for Landmark, and it had no negative effect on Next since Next will never exist. Seems like a profitable (= good) decision to me.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Hasters posted:

This is no different than Shakespeare in his day, his plays were popular not because they were proper but because they were vulgar and common.

Maybe Canterbury tales would be funnier.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Pretty much exactly what happened with poor Half-Life 2 mod Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever
Initial release date: September 13, 2007

Team Fortress 2
Initial release date: October 9, 2007

I mean :drat:

Going head to head with TF2 was always going to be tough sledding, but they didn't do themselves any favors by going full retard on catering to the competitive TFC community, which at that point consisted of like 3 people.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Um, what's the mistake here? They got to charge people for Landmark, and it had no negative effect on Next since Next will never exist. Seems like a profitable (= good) decision to me.

I have a bridge for sale to, oh let's say Middle Earth, cheap. Interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

they didn't do themselves any favors by going full retard on catering to the competitive TFC community, which at that point consisted of like 3 people.

A.K.A. the dev team. It's not all that uncommon for amateur devs to think everything they want has a target audience big enough to succeed.