Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is syncing over WiFi just plain broken or am I doing something wrong? iTunes will recognize my iPad mini 2 over wifi and I click on it in iTunes but when I click the sync button in itunes on my computer it tells me it's looking for the iPad then a few seconds later iTunes on my computer drops the iPad and won't see it again until I restart iTunes or restart the iPad then it just does it again. And I have the newest iOS update on my iPad and the newest iTunes on my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

Is syncing over WiFi just plain broken or am I doing something wrong? iTunes will recognize my iPad mini 2 over wifi and I click on it in iTunes but when I click the sync button in itunes on my computer it tells me it's looking for the iPad then a few seconds later iTunes on my computer drops the iPad and won't see it again until I restart iTunes or restart the iPad then it just does it again. And I have the newest iOS update on my iPad and the newest iTunes on my computer.

Did you sync the two after the latest update? I know my phone flashed a quick message that I'd need to sync them via a cable again before wifi syncing could proceed.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Thwomp posted:

Did you sync the two after the latest update? I know my phone flashed a quick message that I'd need to sync them via a cable again before wifi syncing could proceed.

This is first time I tried to sync over Wifi and yes it was after the latest update. I even re-synced them again using the cable several times but it still won't re-sync over WiFi.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I tried buying a game in the iphone app store and now it keeps spamming a popup to log in every few seconds. I've restarted the phone twice and it's still doing this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

effectual posted:

I tried buying a game in the iphone app store and now it keeps spamming a popup to log in every few seconds. I've restarted the phone twice and it's still doing this.

Are you on 8.3?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Honestly I don't know if iTunes makes me more mad or sad these days.

You can't select multiple Smart Playlists at once, by the way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Does iTunes crash for anybody else when scrolling through your library? iTunes worked fine (as fine as it goes for a PC laptop) up until a few months ago and now it's a regular thing. Only happens when I'm scrolling through my library of 100GB of music unless I scroll at a snail's pace. It's so bad that I now look forward to iTunes updates for the off-chance it fixes this annoying problem.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iTunes.exe
Application Version: 12.1.2.27
Application Timestamp: 55236b62
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18798
Fault Module Timestamp: 5507b864
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000005105c
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5577
Additional Information 2: 557758bfd74b2006b7b5588d9e0ca6ac
Additional Information 3: 6980
Additional Information 4: 698076d1382ba7ad8e5fc1f2b2fd3ea9

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My Composer view is messed up. Here, in Composer view, I am on Igor Stravinsky, but as you can see, John Cage shows up as two songs composed by Stravinsky (the Get Info page is to show you that Stravinsky does not appear anywhere in the metadata for the John Cage tracks). This is just one example, most names are messed up. Any ideas?

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 6, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
The classical music features in iTunes (and in ID3 for that matter) are basically an afterthoguht.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
Check the "sort as" fields in the sort tab.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shin-chan posted:

Check the "sort as" fields in the sort tab.

Unfortunately, those fields are also correct. It seems like the only fix I know of, which I'm not willing to do, would be to rebuild the library.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alec Eiffel posted:

Unfortunately, those fields are also correct. It seems like the only fix I know of, which I'm not willing to do, would be to rebuild the library.

Maybe clearing all the artist/composer/album tags will help. Worth a try & at least it won't kill the date added, which I assume is the reason for not rebuilding.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I just got an new Iphone. Haven't used iTunes in a long time. When I try to sync my music the majority of it won't sync. No errors, just these broken up circles and grayed out song titles when I look at the music in my phone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I used to have a ton of epub books in my iTunes library that I could easily sync over to my devices when I wanted to read something or was going on a trip and wanted to add a few. Well I guess its been awhile and I went through a computer death and new one and I guess I must have missed a major change because now I can't find a "Books" section on iTunes and suddenly I notice my laptop has its own iBooks program but it doesn't sync with the devices. So as best as I can tell the books I can get in iBooks are ones I've purchased from the Apple store and anything else I'll need to read in cloudreader or something.

Is that the case or am I just stupid? Its not that big a deal if I need to use two apps for different books but it sure seems like a really unnecessary inconvenience. Which does sound about right when it comes to protecting copyrights and such.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In the upper left of iTunes, where the music/video/tv/...etc icons are, there should be a phone icon at the end of that list if your phone is connected. If you click that icon, do you see a Books section under Settings in the left sidebar?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a good free server OS that can run iTunes? FreeNAS looks good but apparently it doesn't run the actual iTunes client, so you're out of luck if you want to serve the content to an Apple TV (which is basically all I'd be using the server for).

I've got a usable Windows 7 system, which could work fine but is not ideal as a server due to a connection limit. This is my fallback option however, as it shouldn't be too bad in a 2-person household.

A lot of my searches lead to a mention of Linux-based systems. I'm willing to put in the research if that's a good option, but would those even be able to run iTunes?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There's no iTunes client for those platforms, but Linux or freenas should work for what you need. You will just have to run some service like plex or xbmc that allows you to serve your music via AirPlay.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Minidust posted:

Is there a good free server OS that can run iTunes? FreeNAS looks good but apparently it doesn't run the actual iTunes client, so you're out of luck if you want to serve the content to an Apple TV (which is basically all I'd be using the server for).

I've got a usable Windows 7 system, which could work fine but is not ideal as a server due to a connection limit. This is my fallback option however, as it shouldn't be too bad in a 2-person household.

A lot of my searches lead to a mention of Linux-based systems. I'm willing to put in the research if that's a good option, but would those even be able to run iTunes?

You can get plex running on an apple tv with a minor workaround and the loss of the trailers app iirc.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm gonna start doing lossless rips of my CD collection. I've read online about how iTunes doesn't play nice with FLAC, but a lot of the articles were pretty old. Is this still the case? I'm not averse to just using ALAC if it's gonna make everything easier.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

No.

You do not state what OS you are using but if you want to use the FLAC format then there are many other options to iTunes on Windows and Mac OS.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dead Goon posted:

No.

You do not state what OS you are using but if you want to use the FLAC format then there are many other options to iTunes on Windows and Mac OS.

Oh - Windows 7 (10 soon I guess) OS. When you say "many options," does this mean that FLAC isn't supported natively? I should note that my main use will be playing through an Apple TV.

Secondarily, I'll be using an iPod classic. So I'll want to use that iTunes feature where it imports a smaller version of the file (as opposed to ripping 2 versions of everything). Any advantage to using ALAC in that scenario?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 15, 2015

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I would do ALAC then.

Been a while since I used iTunes, but there was an option you could export to an iPod and transcode to lower bitrates while keeping whatever you had in your library.

[edit] What you plan to do will be best to be honest, use iTunes to convert CDs to ALAC and then when you export to your iPod, convert to a lower bitrate lossey format. And your Apple TV will play them because it's ALAC and why wouldn't it!

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 15, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dead Goon posted:

I would do ALAC then.

Been a while since I used iTunes, but there was an option you could export to an iPod and transcode to lower bitrates while keeping whatever you had in your library.

[edit] What you plan to do will be best to be honest, use iTunes to convert CDs to ALAC and then when you export to your iPod, convert to a lower bitrate lossey format. And your Apple TV will play them because it's ALAC and why wouldn't it!
Got my 4TB external drive yesterday. The plan is in motion! Thanks.

So I moved my whole library to the new HDD - entirely through iTunes so I think it should be all good (changed the library folder in preferences, kept allowing iTunes to organize files, consolidated library). I'm now having some unrelated network problems however. Does iTunes get affected by a Windows system restore? My huge library transition went so smoothly, and I wouldn't want to do something that might mess with it! IIRC, my media files wouldn't be affected, but I'm not sure if the library file is referenced in a system restore point, or if it's completely separate. If there's a risk, I'll go a different route for my network troubleshooting.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 23, 2015

birds
Jun 28, 2008

e: Fixed!

birds fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 25, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I need help with iTunes. I went to download an episode of a show off it, but it hit an error. Now I can't delete that episode from my library or re download it. Please help.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
seriously what the gently caress is up with itunes bullshit. It removed ALL of my music, then added some loving U2 album I've never heard of or owned, and now refuses to add any new music? Says it cannot sync. I didn't even do anything

How the gently caress do I fix it?

e: I mean, is there some way I can just manually manage everything that's on the phone? It's the third time itunes erases everything. But this time I cannot even add new music and as a last gently caress you it added that U2 album.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 29, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

moderately looking forward to using apple music or at the very least trying it; shame that itunes is probably the only client app more badly made than spotify's though. at the very least spotify's app isn't as glacially loving slow

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Skilleddk posted:

e: I mean, is there some way I can just manually manage everything that's on the phone?

no.

maybe try re-adding the songs (that I presume are locally stored on your computer) to itunes. remove the U2 album here. have you not used itunes in a while? the u2 album controversy was like 8 months ago. maybe the app updated and hosed up somehow, or forgot it was synced to your phone.

also calm down. the program's crap, we all know, but you can just re-add your songs and re-sync your phone. it's a short job that you don't even need to be present for. apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick but there's more cursing in your post than actual description of the problem.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Skilleddk posted:

seriously what the gently caress is up with itunes bullshit. It removed ALL of my music, then added some loving U2 album I've never heard of or owned, and now refuses to add any new music? Says it cannot sync. I didn't even do anything

How the gently caress do I fix it?

e: I mean, is there some way I can just manually manage everything that's on the phone? It's the third time itunes erases everything. But this time I cannot even add new music and as a last gently caress you it added that U2 album.
Though from your tone it seems unlikely, the symptoms sound an awful lot like iTunes Match got enabled on your phone and you have never used the Match service or bought music from iTunes (they gave that U2 album away to every iTunes user a while ago).

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Thanks, got that U2 album removed. But it still won't let me add any new songs. Itunes removed all music, and still says my storage is full (I only had music on the phone, no games / apps). And when I go into music, nothing is there.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Skilleddk posted:

Thanks, got that U2 album removed. But it still won't let me add any new songs. Itunes removed all music, and still says my storage is full (I only had music on the phone, no games / apps). And when I go into music, nothing is there.

My dad has recurrent issues with iTunes dumping his stuff. It's usually fixed by deleting the iTunes Library database and then reimporting all the music into a clean database.

Make sure you back your music up separately beforehand if you do that.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My dad has recurrent issues with iTunes dumping his stuff. It's usually fixed by deleting the iTunes Library database and then reimporting all the music into a clean database.

Make sure you back your music up separately beforehand if you do that.

I don't have anything in the itunes library, I still use windows media player on my pc lol. But when I plug in my phone itunes says 14gb is used by "other" stuff, and it won't let me add any music. Any idea how to fix it?

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 30, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Skilleddk posted:

I don't have anything in the itunes library, I still use windows media player on my pc lol. But when I plug in my phone itunes says 14gb is used by "other" stuff, and it won't let me add any music. Any idea how to fix it?

Reset your iPhone?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Reset your iPhone?

It just works!

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Skilleddk posted:

Plug your phone into iTunes, create a backup of your iPhone, then restore from that backup.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hmm...so far my biggest complaint for the new music.app is the fact that the status bar (signal strength, battery, time...ect) is transparent on top of the album art and I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case before. Kind of hard to read on certain album art.

I can probably find a better example, but you get the idea.

Otherwise, I like it. Albums are grouped again as albums under artist, and I like the little bits of album art sprinkled around the app.

Haven't played with Apple Music yet, but I appreciate the large quantity of Canadian content in the radio section...now if only it'd work.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 30, 2015

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Sigma posted:

Plug your phone into iTunes, create a backup of your iPhone, then restore from that backup.

Could not restore because there is not enough space :suicide:

There's literally nothing on the phone that takes any space

edit: looks like this

as I said, no photos, apps, music, nothing on the phone. iphone 4s in case it matters

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Heads up for anyone getting 8.4 - it mucked up my iPod touch 5th generation. Corrupted something or other and made my music inaccessible, and told me I had 25GB too much data on on it, which makes no sense to me.

Restoring now anyway. You might not want to run the update if you're just about to go out.

Edit:

Skilleddk posted:

as I said, no photos, apps, music, nothing on the phone. iphone 4s in case it matters

Tap Settings> General> Reset> Erase all Content and Settings.

I just wiped my iPod and it got mucked up trying to restore from the last backup I had, so I'm having to set it up as a new iPod.

Apple :argh:

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 30, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

iTunes 12.2 update is out.

Just not available through software update but the link works.

Or rather, I followed the link, iTunes tried to connect and it triggered a request to update to 12.2.

Never trust Reddit. Its not updated yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Skilleddk posted:

That big chunk of yellow is your music. It's just your phone doesnt recognise it as music cause the music database is screwed up.
and cos of that, iTunes doesn't recognise it as music either.

http://www.techradar.com/downloads/sharepod get Sharepod. Grab all the music it finds on your phone can copy to your computer.
Import all into itunes (making sure itunes is set to 'copy' the music and 'organise' your library)
Use a file explorer and delete that big chunk of yellow
sync phone with itunes