Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd like to see Jekyll and Hyde myself. Would be a fun one to introduce in the final/next season. Also, maybe get rid of Dorian as he manages to make everything boring and uninteresting. It's like the opposite of what his character is supposed to be.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure his 'grand plan' is to open a live freak show with Caliban as the main attraction - but not tell Caliban about it until opening night. Caliban will go beast mode when people start laughing at him and all the suspicion for the Mariner's Inn Massacre will fall on him since he'll straight up rip people apart.

Well, I was half right (so far). My guess is the Putney clan has woefully underestimated Caliban's ability to wrench the iron door off its hinges, though. I kind of don't want to imagine what he'll do to the daughter...the wife never approved of him, and the husband always treated him like a flunky...but the daughter *played* him. It might end up backfiring against Lily, too.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 30, 2015

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
poo poo the daughter even played me, I thought the father was going to have some awesome viewing booth to see them both from a one way mirror or something, like gorillas in their natural state. This is way better.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kazanir posted:

Assuming it isn't a fake-out, I'm disappointed in Sembene going out this way. It fits with his character but he's too good of a character to lose, really. :(
I was always puzzled why everyone complained about Dorian or Caliban when Sembene was the actual character they didn't seem to have any material for.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sober posted:

I was always puzzled why everyone complained about Dorian or Caliban when Sembene was the actual character they didn't seem to have any material for.

"Deez mahks meen I was slave tradah."

"gently caress sake, man...now that you've got some character development you just KNOW you're gonna die. The mystery was what was keeping you alive."

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd like to see Jekyll and Hyde myself. Would be a fun one to introduce in the final/next season. Also, maybe get rid of Dorian as he manages to make everything boring and uninteresting. It's like the opposite of what his character is supposed to be.

At this stage in the game I want to believe that's the point. That Dorian just is nowhere near interesting as he thinks he is. Lily makes a little comment about this in the ep too. Someting along the lines of men becoming interesting only because of their hobbies.

God I really hope we get to see Mr. Claire rip the hinges off his cell.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sober posted:

The difference is that Sembene is clearly a supporting character whereas Dorian and Caliban are presented as not.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Promo for next week's finale.

Promo spoilers

I hope its just a fake out but gently caress you show if Sembene is actually dead

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's still a ton of material they could draw on from an invasion of Martians to the worst monsters of all, Americans.

It feels like a waste to get rid of Dorian just because they've spent two seasons building him up. When he talked to Lily about his society of like minded people I was hoping we'd see his own Scooby gang including people like Hyde, Captain Ahab or Moriarty.

Instead, Dorian fucks a corpse and has his ear eaten.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd like to see Jekyll and Hyde myself. Would be a fun one to introduce in the final/next season.

Dr. Frankenstein will spend next season doing curls and drinking weird poo poo in the lab before turning into Mr. Hyde and challenging wolf man Ethan to an arm wrestling contest.

Kegslayer posted:

It feels like a waste to get rid of Dorian just because they've spent two seasons building him up. When he talked to Lily about his society of like minded people I was hoping we'd see his own Scooby gang including people like Hyde, Captain Ahab or Moriarty.

Instead, Dorian fucks a corpse and has his ear eaten.
I really feel they should drop him. Imo he should be this flamboyantly eccentric, larger than life type of guy but instead he just drains the life out of every scene he's in.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 30, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I honestly can't place if it's the writing or the actor that drags the Dorian scenes down. My feeling is they are both poor, but who knows. You'd think having a tryst with a trans woman who you then murder for finding out your secret and then loving the living corpse of a homicidal Irish hooker would be more interesting.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I honestly can't place if it's the writing or the actor that drags the Dorian scenes down. My feeling is they are both poor, but who knows. You'd think having a tryst with a trans woman who you then murder for finding out your secret and then loving the living corpse of a homicidal Irish hooker would be more interesting.

It doesn't help that Reeve Carney looks to be about 21. The rest of the cast is late-20s at least (Dr. Frankenstein) and generally in their early 30s and up. At 21-ish he comes across even moreso as smug and sanctimonious. Dorian is a walking douchebag who is just rallying against his parents.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I was really hoping that Caliban would lunge forward and just yank Putney's head off through the cage.

Also if Mr Lyle winds up dead I'll plotz.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, I was half right (so far). My guess is the Putney clan has woefully underestimated Caliban's ability to wrench the iron door off its hinges, though. I kind of don't want to imagine what he'll do to the daughter...the wife never approved of him, and the husband always treated him like a flunky...but the daughter *played* him. It might end up backfiring against Lily, too.

I'm now guessing that Lily and Dorian will visit the Putneytorium again and discover him there, and she'll be pissed because he's her slave, dammit :mad:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

John Dough posted:

I'm now guessing that Lily and Dorian will visit the Putneytorium again and discover him there, and she'll be pissed because he's her slave, dammit :mad:

Oh! I like that!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

John Dough posted:

Or maybe they'll laugh at him and this will cause him to go on a rampage. Either way I'm for it really.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Somehow I don't see Caliban in a cage as that much of an attraction anyway.

:v: Roll up, roll up, see the terrifyin' monster!
:emo: Hellooo. I've been writing some poetry, would you like to hear it? It's quite depressing, but it's only a few pages long... no? Could you then perhaps call a policeman, or contact my creat... er, doctor, Victor Frankenstein?
:v: See, terrifyin'!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well we're watching him and paying for it. Guess the joke's on us.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Ethan's going to be so surprised when he realizes Sembene is a vampire.

This was another great episode, everyone's in peril or threatened in some way.
Dorian has a long life so I don't mind at all that his peripheral storyline is on a slow burn, and I think he's going to be more instrumental when the surviving members from the witch hunt have to next contend with the Master, the devil who exists on Earth.

PerilPastry posted:

Lyle going "Really?" at the revolver before being handed the tiny pocket pistol was great.
I loved that. He's an amazing and complex character.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

One Swell Foop posted:

Somehow I don't see Caliban in a cage as that much of an attraction anyway.

:v: Roll up, roll up, see the terrifyin' monster!
:emo: Hellooo. I've been writing some poetry, would you like to hear it? It's quite depressing, but it's only a few pages long... no? Could you then perhaps call a policeman, or contact my creat... er, doctor, Victor Frankenstein?
:v: See, terrifyin'!

Literally me in college, though I only wrote prose, not poetry.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

Ethan's going to be so surprised when he realizes Sembene is a vampire.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed Sembene took a bite on the back of the neck in the first season.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Usually marking the face is done for protection against spirits (or keep them locked inside), never heard about them being done to show that someone was a slave trader.

Can someone gif the amazing fight scene in the cut-wifre's old house with Vanessa stabbing Roper over and over and over and over and over again.

Prediction/hope: Vanessa takes control over her own fetish doll and uses it to attack Madame Kali.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Can someone gif the amazing fight scene in the cut-wifre's old house with Vanessa stabbing Roper over and over and over and over and over again.

Ha, the old kick, stab, kick, stab combo.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed Sembene took a bite on the back of the neck in the first season.

I noticed it, too. I really thought that Sembene was going to reveal ~*~Good Vampire~*~ to Ethan after Ethan revealed his werewolfness. But here's hoping that Sembene is all right, he's one of the best characters on this show.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Usually marking the face is done for protection against spirits (or keep them locked inside), never heard about them being done to show that someone was a slave trader.

Prediction/hope: Vanessa takes control over her own fetish doll and uses it to attack Madame Kali.

It could have been done to mark him as a leader or for religious/spiritual purposes in his tribe etc. I think he was just simplifying his story for Ethan's sake showing that there was a monster inside him as well.

I hope Poole makes it out alive in addition to Sembene. I still don't understand how a show based on a genre of cheap but popular books can make such good tv.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

I hope Poole makes it out alive in addition to Sembene. I still don't understand how a show based on a genre of cheap but popular books can make such good tv.

Yeah, I kind of hope that this show doesn't fall prey to Modern Bond Movie Rules where the compelling villain always has to die at the end of the movie they're headlining.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
How did Feminazi Francestein find out Dorian's secret?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't she ask and he told her? I'd have to rewatch the episode, but I'm pretty sure thats about it.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 1, 2015

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
oh, ok, I was drunk and tired so I may have had a long blink at that bit

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, the old kick, stab, kick, stab combo.

I was really enjoying that fight sequence and that bit was the icing, loving hilarious.

Also this bit.

I guess I'm the only one who quite likes Caliban and I'm hoping he realizes printers and the carrying of them don't mean gently caress all. Plus Sembene, he should be an ex-slave trading werewolf and explain to the fuckwits that it might be a good idea to invite the inspector into their gang as that guy is sharp as all get out.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I really like Lily, though. Girl has a point on pretty much all fronts. My worry is that her presence and knowledge is, in the canon of the show, shall we say, Satanically inspired after some Event Horizon-style trip between life and death.

That'd be... man, that'd just be ugly and sexist as hell, and honestly I think this show is too smart and too intentionally fighting that very thing to go there, so I'm optimistic.

I loved what she said to Caliban and Dorian both; I wouldn't mind seeing Caliban redeemed, but I'd rather not see him be redeemed in the name of painting a woman as a villain.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

well god drat what the gently caress. bloody ball all over again....

EDIT: da fuk. dafuk.

What a great episode.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 6, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And everybody is on a boat now. Really looking forward to next season. Maybe there will be a flash forward?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

That was a pretty good finale, but it sucks that Sembene was killed off right after he became an interesting character. I hope he pops out of his coffin on the season 3 premier, due to a convenient and previously unknown zombie curse that's on him, and scares the poo poo out of Malcolm, and then they can be bros and kill scary things together again. Also, Lyle shooting the witch was great, and I kept thinking of Team America when Vanessa was talking to the satan puppet.

So I guess the next season will at least partially take place in America and/or Africa, and/or Antarctica? That might be cool.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Penny Dreadful: "Never underestimate the power of a queen with lovely hair, my dear."

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

The ending was depressing. I cried a little.

Some part of me wanted Vanessa and Caliban to run off together to form a supernatural Victorian crime-fighting duo when he asked her to go away with him. I could totally buy that; him as the brawn, her as the brains of the operation. It was a great finale, leaves me clueless to what tricks they are going to pull for Season 3 with everyone scattered to the four winds as it were. Though, I think I can see who next seasons villains might be.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm kind of happy that what I was hoping wouldn't happen *didn't* happen. I was getting the feeling that the Inspector was a werewolf or something akin to it as well when he was sort of chewing on his lines in his office.

There's no chance of Ethan turning again on the boat, though - it was supposed to take the Titanic ~7 days to make the Atlantic crossing, and I think we're about 20 years prior to that now. So even if you make it 21 days, that's not enough to make it to the next full moon, and even if it did, they'd be nearly finished with the trip. Of course, my money is on the fact that Hecate is on that ship.

Also, here's hoping Lily can make Dorian a more interesting character in Season 3.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
And they all lived happily ever after...

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
And so Vanessa's transformation into Lydia Deetz is complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm kind of happy that what I was hoping wouldn't happen *didn't* happen. I was getting the feeling that the Inspector was a werewolf or something akin to it as well when he was sort of chewing on his lines in his office.

There's no chance of Ethan turning again on the boat, though - it was supposed to take the Titanic ~7 days to make the Atlantic crossing, and I think we're about 20 years prior to that now. So even if you make it 21 days, that's not enough to make it to the next full moon, and even if it did, they'd be nearly finished with the trip. Of course, my money is on the fact that Hecate is on that ship.

Also, here's hoping Lily can make Dorian a more interesting character in Season 3.

I definitely think we're gonna get a handful of American scenes next season. Probably young witch tracks Ethan down or something to that effect. My guess is she shows up and one hand detective gets dragged into this supernatural world. I figured they woulda maybe do it in this finale but I feel confident it'll happen in s3. Especially with a supporting character like Sembene dead now.

After wondering about what they were gonna pull for this season after s1 finale and then knocking s2 out the park im pretty confident that these guys know what they're doing though. Excited for s3.

Side Note: I know it ended with everyone on a boat but did anyone get the impression that Sir Malcom's end/farewall felt final? Like if Timothy Dalton doesn't really show up in s3 I won't be too surprised.

Extra Side Note: Me and a couple goons got that Mr. Claire gate rip satisfaction =)

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 6, 2015

• Locked thread