Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I am still hoping that they will do an EE of IWD II and Planescape. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

kujeger posted:

is there any reason to think it will be good? the new stuff in the bg:ees games are not exactly very promising
Well, the new EE content was decently designed, mechanically, and maybe they hired some writers? I don't really have incredibly high hopes either, though.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Aerofallosov posted:

I am still hoping that they will do an EE of IWD II and Planescape. :(

Didn't they straight-up say they wouldn't be doing IWD II due to the engine differences?

Would kill for an EE of Planescape, though. Easily the best storytelling experience in video games IMO.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone interested in playing BG 1 + BG2 in co-op with me? Or just BG 1 or just BG2? I'm flexible. Reply in thread or http://steamcommunity.com/id/cheesetriangles/ or I have PM's on forums if you are interested.

I'm willing to give it a try in BG2EE. The gameplay in 1 just isn't that interesting for me. I'm free most nights except for M & W starting at 10 pm GMT.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

LLSix posted:

I'm willing to give it a try in BG2EE. The gameplay in 1 just isn't that interesting for me. I'm free most nights except for M & W starting at 10 pm GMT.

Sure I can do that. Want to hit me up on steam or with a pm so we can arrange all this? I'm playing BG1EE with another goon right now but I can do both.

How do you feel about 3 player bg2ee.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 28, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

kujeger posted:

is there any reason to think it will be good? the new stuff in the bg:ees games are not exactly very promising
Wouldn't be hard to outperform BG1 tbh. I'd be happy with just another arena deal, those were actually really fun

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Didn't they straight-up say they wouldn't be doing IWD II due to the engine differences?

Would kill for an EE of Planescape, though. Easily the best storytelling experience in video games IMO.

I didn't see anything to that effect, but I may contact them and ask. And yeah, I'd love to have a version that plays nice with Win 7 and tablets, if nothing else.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I p sure I read that it's a new game set between BG and BG2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gender illusionist posted:

Yes. They've announced it already.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gender illusionist posted:

I can't think of anything less interesting to do with what they have. Make a new game using the engine, poo poo, ask HASBRO if you can use the Dragonlance IP and do something there.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So I started playing BGEE for the first time recently, playing a Half-orc Fighter/Cleric. Got some questions mostly to do with magic.

1. How do you use mages without foreknowledge? The number of spells you get, even with that ring outside the Friendly Arm, is so low that I feel like I have to know what I'm about to fight at all times for a mage to not be dead weight. Yeah sure there are a lot of fights where I'm not going to use magic anyway but this is going to come up at some point. Either that or I'm going to wonder why I even have a mage in the first place.

2. Are scrolls the only way Mages learn new spells?

3. What spells should I be preparing on my main or on Jaheira? So far I've just kept them loaded on the healing spell and ignored everything else.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

So I started playing BGEE for the first time recently, playing a Half-orc Fighter/Cleric. Got some questions mostly to do with magic.

1. How do you use mages without foreknowledge? The number of spells you get, even with that ring outside the Friendly Arm, is so low that I feel like I have to know what I'm about to fight at all times for a mage to not be dead weight. Yeah sure there are a lot of fights where I'm not going to use magic anyway but this is going to come up at some point. Either that or I'm going to wonder why I even have a mage in the first place.

3. What spells should I be preparing on my main or on Jaheira? So far I've just kept them loaded on the healing spell and ignored everything else.

For BG1, control spells are king. For your mages, sleep is absurdly good early on for disabling entire groups of enemies. For clerics, command is single target but is drat potent and instant. One your mages can handle level 2 spells, web, horror and noxious cloud are all top choices. Wizards do indeed only learn new spells from scrolls while sorcerors can learn them from leveling. As a cleric/fighter, draw upon holy might is an absurdly powerful level 2 spell.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

1) mostly experience, but general buffs and ranged damage or status effects help the most.
2) Yes
3) Sleep is the best mage spell until it's the worst. Bless is a good first level spell on the priest side. Heal spells (aside from Heal, but I don't think you can get that in BG1) tend to not be worth the effort because yheir casting time is forever and they work on touch. Bark skin and flaming sword are decent 2nd level spells for Jaheira to throw her into the melee.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Skwirl posted:

I can't think of anything less interesting to do with what they have. Make a new game using the engine, poo poo, ask HASBRO if you can use the Dragonlance IP and do something there.

Holy poo poo, an infinity Dragonlance game, drat I'd go totally apeshit. I replayed the loving goldbox dragonlance a couple of years ago to revisit it, I think I'll give it another go actually.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

In BG1EE anyone with a longbow and two pips is super powerful, but mages are a close second, and in BG2 mages are easily the most powerful. With that information you can see that they really start to tee off when they hit higher levels, level 3 is when they start shooting 2 magic missiles, and at level 5 they start spitting 3 and get access to level 3 spells like fireball and haste. Past level 7 and stoneskin they become the most powerful class in the game.

But really what mages do is equalize fights, or make seemingly unwinnable fights beatable. They can just tee off in those hard fights and fling spells like horror, sleep, web, stinking cloud and fireball/skull trap and totally turn the fight around, but in the average dungeon trash fights they don't do much other than sit back and hurl sling stones.

So basically the mage is dead weight until you absolutely have to win, or are facing an unwinnable fight, in which case they open up a can of whoop rear end and make everything fall asleep/run away, or dispel all the enemy protections.

edit: to find the scrolls you need to learn you need to check that inn on the far left in beregost, and find high hedge, which is straight west from bergerost.

Washout fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 29, 2015

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Mages are never dead weight if you remember they can use wands. I use wands liberally and still end up with more of them than I have use for.

In BG1 clerics should load up mostly on healing spells because the game is very cheap with healing, but once you're past the early game hurdle and have some gold you can probably use more buffs and debuffs from then on.

e: Might as well mention enemy mages at low levels always use horror, so always memorize 1 cast of remove fear. Despite the name, it doesn't just remove fear, it will also prevent fear from even working in the first place.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 29, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Suspicious posted:

Mages are never dead weight if you remember they can use wands. I use wands liberally and still end up with more of them than I have use for.

In BG1 clerics should load up mostly on healing spells because the game is very cheap with healing, but once you're past the early game hurdle and have some gold you can probably use more buffs and debuffs from then on.

e: Might as well mention enemy mages at low levels always use horror, so always memorize 1 cast of remove fear. Despite the name, it doesn't just remove fear, it will also prevent fear from even working in the first place.

That's a good point, horror is pretty amazing and also devastating when you get hit with it in return, so always a good idea to have one cast of remove fear laying around to use in case you have to reload and try again.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't understand why Beamdog didn't just change the name of "slow poison" to "cure poison". Wasn't there a 4th level equivalent? Did anyone ever use it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't understand why Beamdog didn't just change the name of "slow poison" to "cure poison". Wasn't there a 4th level equivalent? Did anyone ever use it?

There's actually a huge number of restrictions on what they could change. Basically they could fix bugs and tweak game mechanics, but couldn't change any of the writing, e.g names of spells. They had a lot more freedom with stuff they added wholesale to the game.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Its one of those things from D&D that just didn't port into a computer game well. AFAIK there were different kinds of poisons that the spells would effect, so the 2nd level one would still cure some weak poisons while the 4th level one would cure like all poisons. I'm kinda glad too, poison is so loving annoying in those games, this would've just made it even more so.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

fong posted:

Its one of those things from D&D that just didn't port into a computer game well. AFAIK there were different kinds of poisons that the spells would effect, so the 2nd level one would still cure some weak poisons while the 4th level one would cure like all poisons. I'm kinda glad too, poison is so loving annoying in those games, this would've just made it even more so.

Not even close, actually.

Slow Poison did exactly what it said on the tin. For an hour per level, you were completely unaffected by poison, then when it expired or was dispelled, they took full effect. This was SUPER IMPORTANT because in P&P D&D, most poisons were instantaneous save or die affairs, not the damage over time that they put in infinity engine. Slow Poison was what made Neutralize Poison actually effective, in most cases, and even better, since it eventually lasted a full adventuring day per cast, you could let it ride as long as you were comfortable and nuke all the poisons with a single higher level spell before expiration.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
It's sort of amazing to me how janky BG2 co-op is. It's always consistently laggy and incredibly loving buggy. We've had weird poo poo like Anomen talking to himself - as my character - about himself, that guy in de'Arnise keep who gives you part of the Flail of Ages triggering from across the map, uncharming himself and breaking...

Even better is stuff like this:

Yes, that's three Minister Lloyds, two Mistress Einas, and Ander from Umar Hills inside the Planar Sphere. :psyduck:

mystic pimp fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 29, 2015

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So I've played a few more hours in. Just capped off the Nashkel mines with a party of myself(half-orc Fighter/Cleric), Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Neera, and Dorn. It was much easier than I was led to believe it would be. Few things though.

-gently caress traps. After they got introduced the rest of the dungeon took two hours because of having to stop for 10 seconds every 3 steps for fear of getting insta-gibbed. Also putting Imoen directly in enemy fire led to a lot of reloads. This would be infinitely better if trap search worked more than once a round. Ugh.

-Thank you guys all for the spell suggestions. Sleep has been... the only thing Neera is good for besides identify which is just cash saving, but it turned Mulahey's reinforcements into easy pickings for Khalid and Jaheria while Dorn and I beat Mulahey's skull in. Speaking of fighting enemy spellcasters, holy poo poo Command. I completely glossed over that one at first (Only one round? Nopenopenope) but I never realized it could be so effective at interrupting enemy spells. Oh that probably could've helped when I fought Bassilus if I hadn't got so lucky with interrupting his spells anyway. I've also got some... not wholly terrible mileage out of Jaheira's Entangle spell, though I keep catching myself in it since vision range is so short even in broad daylight and most areas where fighs warranting the spell have been are in really tight spaces, but it's been useful.

-gently caress traps. Do enemies seriously never trigger world-placed traps? hosed up if true.

-So my party is a bit of an alignment clusterfuck with 2 good, 2 neutral, and one evil. My reputation is currently 12, at what thresholds do I have to worry about people in the party getting pissy at me? I'm not even sure how high this is supposed to go.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

-So my party is a bit of an alignment clusterfuck with 2 good, 2 neutral, and one evil. My reputation is currently 12, at what thresholds do I have to worry about people in the party getting pissy at me? I'm not even sure how high this is supposed to go.
I'm pretty sure evil characters start leaving once you get 19 or higher rep and good characters leave at 2 or below. Neutral characters leave at 1, I think, but they start bitching if you go below 6 or above 18.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Traps do suck a big one in BG. The best way to deal with them is to check your thieves pre-programmed AI routines. One of them will make the thief automatically detect traps any time you aren't ordering them to do something else which takes some of the tedious micro management out. The other tip is to cast invisibility on the thief and let them scout ahead. While you can't stealth and detect at the same time, the rule does not apply to invisibility and you can even disarm traps while remaining invisible.

Entanglement is a spell I didn't mention but is okay. It's very easy to save against so it's not super reliable, but it does facilitate a very key strategy in low level Baldurs Gate combat which is to kite enemies while you lame it out with ranged weapons. Web is a level 2 mage spell which works in a similar fashion while also being much harder to save against. Just don't try it against spiders. Web also has the bonus of halting the enemies ability to take any action whatsoever so feel free to toss it at casters and archers.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The best way to deal with traps is to quick save then haste someone and run them through the map so you know where all the traps are, then reload and only detect around those locations. The trap detection mechanism in these games is horrendous and not worth using. Its not an issue for most people because you eventually memorise all the trap locations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

How the hell did anyone play BG without a loving wiki? even with a wiki open constantly i gently caress things up. It also sucks that i can't stack enchanted armor with protection poo poo because i now have 4 protection items that are extra and 2 fallorians plates which are useless. What exactly does the sword of berserking do? like will it make dorn begin killing everyone in my party? i'm assuming berserkers and barbs don't attack their own party when they use this ability so i'm wondering!

Also is there a list of all the stat manuals? deffo going to tweak char stats to maximize this poo poo because my blackguard has pointless 19 stats that don't give me poo poo and i don't want to waste manuals on other party members.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arghy posted:

How the hell did anyone play BG without a loving wiki?

By reading the user manual that came with the game (unless you already knew AD&D2) and then playing it without obsessively trying to 100% every single aspect of it.

Arghy posted:

What exactly does the sword of berserking do? like will it make dorn begin killing everyone in my party? i'm assuming berserkers and barbs don't attack their own party when they use this ability so i'm wondering!

You're assuming wrong! Berserk will make you target the nearest valid target, friend or foe.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 30, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BG was made before computer RPGs fully became a genre unto themselves, and was still partially trying to be a DnD simulator. You were kinda expected to gently caress things up, fail quests, not find every single item, etc, and were also expected to read the 100-odd page guidebook or to have a passing knowledge of DnD to understand how poo poo like THAC0 and weapon damage worked. I still remember trying to figure out what the gently caress "2d4 damage" meant.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

The berserk ability granted by berserkers and barbarians is basically a stat buff - you just gain a bunch of bonuses and still retain full control over your character.

The berserk gained from cursed items, confusion, and things like that, on the other hand, makes the character attack the nearest legal target, friend or foe.

As to how we played when this was released? Carefully. There's a reason that "quicksave constantly" and "keep multiple saves" became mantras.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Taliesyn posted:

As to how we played when this was released? Carefully. There's a reason that "quicksave constantly" and "keep multiple saves" became mantras.

Remember the save/load joke with the petrified adventurer's in Abazigal's Lair in ToB?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Taliesyn posted:

The berserk ability granted by berserkers and barbarians is basically a stat buff - you just gain a bunch of bonuses and still retain full control over your character.

The berserk gained from cursed items, confusion, and things like that, on the other hand, makes the character attack the nearest legal target, friend or foe.

Yeah, definitely. I'm sure we all had a time where we walked into an area and SURPRISE BASILISK TURNED TO STONE FUCCKFKSFKSJFK

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
All these years later and after countless runs through the series, I still quicksave all the time, even knowing what's around the next corner. It's just ingrained behavior now and I don't think I could stop doing it if I tried.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Karmalaa70 posted:

All these years later and after countless runs through the series, I still quicksave all the time, even knowing what's around the next corner. It's just ingrained behavior now and I don't think I could stop doing it if I tried.

Yeah, too many failed saves or bumbling into traps during a huge fight. :( Stupid basilisks, stupid golems.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah i played DF for years i know all about saving haha, oh you channeled it in the wrong order enjoy as your dwarf falls down through your entire fortress killing 20 other dwarves and animals which then causes the entire fortress to go berserk!

Return to krondor did a drat good job of being very loving forgiving and it was made around the same time same with fallout.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Arghy posted:

Yeah i played DF for years i know all about saving haha, oh you channeled it in the wrong order enjoy as your dwarf falls down through your entire fortress killing 20 other dwarves and animals which then causes the entire fortress to go berserk!

Return to krondor did a drat good job of being very loving forgiving and it was made around the same time same with fallout.

Yeah, you're still a johnny-come-lately.

I spent AGES trying to catch the damned Babelfish.

And who can forget "Thou hast lost an Eighth!" or the mission "Protect Medical Frigate" (the Redemption run)?

Also, Fallout was 1997, RtK and BG were 1998. Personally, I feel games have moved TOO far in the direction of easy to beat. There should be at least a LITTLE challenge at the normal difficulty. Just no more goddamn Babelfish puzzles.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 30, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I agree, PoE was just a cakewalk, far too easy, same with Divinity Original sin. Then again there is certainly a breakpoint where the game just gets too hard, but I don't think I've ever encountered it with modern RPG's, wasteland 2 was definitely easier than fallout 2 for example. I've beaten a lot of traditionally hard RPG's like Wizardry 8 or whatever. But I'm looking forward to this next BG game, hopefully it scratches the itch, but given the fact that I play with all the difficulty mods turned to max except on solo runs it will probably be pretty easy in comparison.

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 1, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm installing Big World Project standard install because gently caress it why not. Is there a guide to all the new content? I also plan on playing on normal instead of core rules because I'm sure this is going to be a lot harder even though it is not a tactics version. I'm sure all of this is a bad idea but damnit BG 1 and 2 are my favorite games of all time and I need to play them more and with new content.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I have heard only bad things about the big world project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm installing Big World Project standard install because gently caress it why not.

Because it's dreadful