Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Writing an evals for NAT sailor is pretty loving depressing:

-Took my two AT courses for two weeks
-Checked my email, like a million times
-Admin work
-Scored 3 goals in the unit's soccer game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

squarerandom posted:

Writing an evals for NAT sailor is pretty loving depressing:

-Took my two AT courses for two weeks
-Checked my email, like a million times
-Admin work
-Scored 3 goals in the unit's soccer game

IDC PO3 Who Cares is a straight shooter with unlimited potential.

-On time, on mission. Honor graduate for blah blah course during annual training time at whatever.

-Flexible worker. Assisted unit admin in digitally archiving paper records resulting in a 32% reduction in paper archives.

-Superior Athlete. As part of Coalition European Soccer Command, was lead striker scoring 3 goals to win and prove American superiority at all sports.

IS/CTwhatever/IT/AG 3 Who Cares continues to exceed expectations and is a credit to the command. Give increased responsibility when able!

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Recommended P

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Nick Soapdish posted:

IDC PO3 Who Cares is a straight shooter with unlimited potential.

-On time, on mission. Honor graduate for blah blah course during annual training time at whatever.

-Flexible worker. Assisted unit admin in digitally archiving paper records resulting in a 32% reduction in paper archives.

-Superior Athlete. As part of Coalition European Soccer Command, was lead striker scoring 3 goals to win and prove American superiority at all sports.

IS/CTwhatever/IT/AG 3 Who Cares continues to exceed expectations and is a credit to the command. Give increased responsibility when able!

Writing evals like this for people who do nothing or very little, not of their choice, is one of the hardest things I've ever done in the navy.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Null Integer posted:

Writing evals like this for people who do nothing or very little, not of their choice, is one of the hardest things I've ever done in the navy.

I've finally gotten to the point where I've forced myself to spend 80% of my eval writing time on the people who actually do things and deserve it, and don't bother trying to make shitbags sound like superstars. Everyone reading them can tell what you're doing anyways, so why bother?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Octopode posted:

I've finally gotten to the point where I've forced myself to spend 80% of my eval writing time on the people who actually do things and deserve it, and don't bother trying to make shitbags sound like superstars. Everyone reading them can tell what you're doing anyways, so why bother?

but what about their career shipmate :chiefsay:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You're telling me I'll be evaluated based on actual work?

brb joining the Air Force.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Anita Dickinme posted:

From what I've seen, its more like "Judged on how much you actually work the shaft"

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

no

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Is it possible to re-enlist into the reserves from active, grab a fat srb, and then immediately go officer?

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Sir Lucius posted:

Is it possible to re-enlist into the reserves from active, grab a fat srb, and then immediately go officer?

i got drill soon, i can swing this by my NC1 if you want

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

Buddy did exactly that I'll ask and get back

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay most of the SRB back. I'll wait for a more knowledgeable person to post though because I might do this.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
ill look into this if someone doesn't already answer it concretely before i can get back to you guys

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Cool, appreciate it. Every time I think I can see the light there's always something that tries to drag me back. I don't think I would hate being an officer and not having to move, and not doing any real work.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
According to friend who did that he kept the bonus and it was all up front. No half now the rest over your contract.

Edit

Says he didn't have to pay any back either.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 30, 2015

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Reserve bonus? Whaaaat?

Maybe I will go into reserve while going to grad school on Post 9/11 GI Bill. One weekend a month, how bad could that be?

Also can I frontload my drill days so that I can knock out like 3-4 months of weekend drill during the summer?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That's what I'm doing. I'm not sure about frontloading, though what you can get away with is entirely dependent on your unit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Howard Phillips posted:

Reserve bonus? Whaaaat?

Maybe I will go into reserve while going to grad school on Post 9/11 GI Bill. One weekend a month, how bad could that be?

Also can I frontload my drill days so that I can knock out like 3-4 months of weekend drill during the summer?

I distinctly hear that this is a thing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Reserve bonus? Whaaaat?

When I went reserve, SWO bonus was $10k. Also because manning is so low, O4 was basically pushbutton.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

Reserve bonus? Whaaaat?

I'm getting $12k for transitioning to the reserves as an FC.

lol.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

A friend of mine is in the AF Reserves and frontloaded a bunch of drill days so he could do an internship this summer.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

According to friend who did that he kept the bonus and it was all up front. No half now the rest over your contract.

Edit

Says he didn't have to pay any back either.

This is cool, but I'm guessing this is the person I was talking to who gave me the idea in the first place.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

This is cool, but I'm guessing this is the person I was talking to who gave me the idea in the first place.

Nah this dude made chief and then got out like 6 months later while pissing on every khaki in the command. He then went officer and moved to UAE doing red team stuff for some company out there. Got to keep his clearance and somehow drills out there making mad cash.

Edit: This was back in 2011

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

Reserve bonus? Whaaaat?

Psych Techs would get 40k if they were going reserves. Also, if you have a friend that's joining up as a corpsman, just tell him to go reserves and collect that sweet 20k they all qualify for yet none have the foresight to research and grab.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Nah this dude made chief and then got out like 6 months later while pissing on every khaki in the command. He then went officer and moved to UAE doing red team stuff for some company out there. Got to keep his clearance and somehow drills out there making mad cash.

Edit: This was back in 2011

Oh cool. The guy I talked to went contractor and then also drills, so he's making the big bucks, but also gets military benefits. I figure I'm already civilitary anyways, and I really don't hate being in, I just don't want to move and I want to be rich. Reserves seems like the best of all worlds.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I was wondering why stupid Youths would be wearing a Navy shirt here at Houston Bush airport, sure enough the next hate down is Chicago O'Hare.

Hahahhahahhahahhahahahha

Welcome aboard, shipmates! :chiefsay:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I don't think I would hate being an officer and not having to move, and not doing any real work.

Oh boy, are you in for a surprise... :vince:

buttplug fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 2, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

I was wondering why stupid Youths would be wearing a Navy shirt here at Houston Bush airport, sure enough the next hate down is Chicago O'Hare.

Hahahhahahhahahhahahahha

Welcome aboard, shipmates! :chiefsay:

Did you thank them for their service? Tell them to hoard their mint dental floss and sell it as a bubblegum replacement during the last few weeks for $$$$.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Sir Lucius posted:

I don't think I would hate being an officer and not having to move, and not doing any real work.

Is that topic material?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
That was supposed to be a dig on the reserves, not officers.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
you dont do poo poo in the reserves unless you really want to.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Another month, another typhoon in Guam. :negative:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

you dont do poo poo in the reserves unless you really want to.

Commander of 4th fleet is a Reserve Admiral. http://www.public.navy.mil/comusnavso-c4f/Pages/RearAdmiralBallance.aspx

How the gently caress does someone who's never had command at sea in charge of a numbered fleet?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Howard Phillips posted:

Commander of 4th fleet is a Reserve Admiral. http://www.public.navy.mil/comusnavso-c4f/Pages/RearAdmiralBallance.aspx

How the gently caress does someone who's never had command at sea in charge of a numbered fleet?

Well, it doesn't have any ships so...

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

cause he played the officer game well, i figure

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Howard Phillips posted:

There's a reason that admirals no longer wear their command pins. It's because there's often screwy things like that where someone who has never had command at sea is in an operational chain of command at the top.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a reason that admirals no longer wear their command pins. It's because there's often screwy things like that where someone who has never had command at sea is in an operational chain of command at the top.

But 4th fleet isn't an operational command.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Howard Phillips posted:

It could be something weird having to do with that fat Leonard scandal. The P-3/P-8 Group Admiral is a reservist as well right now. The old one who was AD had to leave early to pick up a spot vacated by one of the guys caught up in that. The new guy will be AD. Nobody cares about VP though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
The director of fleet maintenance is a reservist. Which I think is odd, but she seems cool, so whatevs.

• Locked thread