Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

more about the manual

It wasn't confusing because the component manifest on pages 2-3 clearly spelled out the different types of cards (color and number) and the setup cards and which card backs represent market cards.

the setup page is a full two page spread on pages 4-5, and then on page 6-7 you get an explanation for the card numbers and colors in the box on the bottom of page 7.

Components, Setup, Beginning of rules. Other games use the exact same order. A game with this many components needed a full spread to list them all, so there wasn't space to do the color/number explanation before the setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Kai Tave posted:

Just got my copies of Tash-Kalar + Everfrost and Argent + Mancers from CSI :toot: Gonna bring Tash-Kalar to game night tomorrow, probably gonna hold off on Argent until I'm really, really comfortable with how to best summarize and explain poo poo.

Also I haven't punched/unpacked everything yet, but is trying to fit everything into the Argent box insert going to make me as frustrated as it looks like it will?

Nah. I fit all of Mancers and Argent in the plain Argent box just fine in plastic baggies. Then I saw the go7gaming wooden insert, bought that, built it, and that's a great solution that also feels really nice when you're pulling out the individual component trays.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My problem wasn't one of setup. I clearly got several rules wrong, especially regarding the mine. It was the little things. I expected some elaboration of, for example, what to do with the other two starting wealth cards you don't use. Intuitively, you know to discard them, but the rulebook doesn't spell that out. It places the rules for post-quest level ups under the Prestige (victory) Points section of the rewards, where they have no reason to be. It's all these little things which made the rulebook so hard to use.

However, my Solo-Knowing-the-Rules-Playthough went extremely well. I lost, (couldn't take the mandatory quest in the last round) but now it flowed so well I feel MUCH better about the game. It meets the hype now that I know how to play it.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

PuttyKnife posted:

Picked up some 7th Sea CCG and a ton of the Star Wars CCG because it was mega cheap.

7th Sea is one of my all-time favorite CCGs. It's only a matter of time, I hope, till Fantasy Flight decides to turn it into an LCG, at which point I will dive in hard.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Oh poo poo, I never mentioned :doh: It's a solitaire game but it has optional rules for two player if you want to do that.

Available from here: http://www.printplaygames.com/product/last-frontier-the-vesuvius-incident
30 bucks for the classic version, which is what I purchased.

So you totally sold me on this i got it for myself! What exactly is the Feyman or whatever scenario the classic version comes with?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So you totally sold me on this i got it for myself! What exactly is the Feyman or whatever scenario the classic version comes with?

We got a board game irc? TTS has me playing video board games and need some peeps to play with.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
I see Keyflower gets a lot of love here. What is so great about it?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

lordsummerisle posted:

I see Keyflower gets a lot of love here. What is so great about it?

It's a euro game with teeth, where each player builds a town by bidding on buildings, and the buildings themselves allow players to perform beneficial actions.

There's nothing stopping you from using an opponent's building though, and you'll need to weigh up the costs between getting the benefit of their structures and giving them the meeples you're paying, as you're giving them more power on future turns by doing so. There are a number of quirky situations that emerge, such as how upgrading one of your own buildings gives all your opponents a chance of using that building before it comes back to your turn again.

The colour system allows you to be smart about this too - all actions involving a given tile must be played using meeples of the same colour, so if nobody has any blue meeples you can be sure your own bids using blue meeples will go through without any competition.

In short it's a clever game that only gets better the more you play it.

Stelas is running a PBP here if you want to see a game in progress and get a gist for it.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of keyflower does anyone play the unofficial advanced variant? That is known meeples (unsuccessful bids and those placed on won/village tiles recovered at end of season) and known skill tiles/wheat etc are in front of the screen as public knowledge? I've seen it suggested as a handicap where the experienced players do this and the newer players don't, wondering if it has a significant effect on the game as at this point I've played a poo poo ton of keyflower 2 player and would like to ease the introduction for new folk I want to bring in

Edit: keyflower is great you should buy keyflower

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Are there any other games where the currency used to activate things is also the currency used to bid for them? The other auction games I've played the items are either pretty inert or not linked to the bidding currency after you've acquired them.

That and of course the ability to use other people's stuff feel like the defining features of Keyflower.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
How is Keyflower with 2? And how is it with europhobic players.

My gaming group is a bit ameritrashy, so euros often are played with the SO (who also suffers from MAJOR AP).

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I played it with just my wife a few times and it works just fine.

The game scales really well. And I haven't had any AP related problems with any Player.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Randi posted:

Speaking of keyflower does anyone play the unofficial advanced variant? That is known meeples (unsuccessful bids and those placed on won/village tiles recovered at end of season) and known skill tiles/wheat etc are in front of the screen as public knowledge? I've seen it suggested as a handicap where the experienced players do this and the newer players don't, wondering if it has a significant effect on the game as at this point I've played a poo poo ton of keyflower 2 player and would like to ease the introduction for new folk I want to bring in.

It's actually an official variant now, it's in both expansion rule sets.
I only play the game this way since I enjoy it more. It turns the game into less of a memory exercise, which I'm all for, but it does up the complexity a bit. Player's tend to bid more conservatively to keep a few keyples secret for as long as possible, so I don't think rounds actually take any longer than in the normal game. It also seems to increase the "draw secret stuff" tiles bit quite a bit.
There's another official variant that's suggested for new players: start them off with a green guy.

Unrelated: How different is Dark Moon from BSG: Express? I still have the pnp files floating around somewhere, so I'm thinking about making a copy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gonna play High Frontier + Colonization today. A speed game of it. Wish me luck :suicide:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
If you're not back in two days I'll make a new thread in your honour.

Alas, poor Tekopo. We knew him well.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Big McHuge posted:

7th Sea is one of my all-time favorite CCGs. It's only a matter of time, I hope, till Fantasy Flight decides to turn it into an LCG, at which point I will dive in hard.

Yeah, I have always enjoyed 7th Sea. The Vesten Sourcebook is dedicated to me and I even did a little bit of ghost writing for it. The CCG has always been one of my faves as well and I got a few boxes of starters and boosters so I could spread them around the netrunner and magic crowds.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Mister Sinewave posted:

Well I have fired up a recent acquisition: The Vesuvius Incident.

Someone wanted to hear more about this and I want to hear more about this.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Also, wife's bonus top ten, not sorted:

Baseball Highlights 2045

baseball, you say, tell me more. I still need to get the PnP version of Bottom of the Ninth going.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Tekopo posted:

Gonna play High Frontier + Colonization today. A speed game of it. Wish me luck :suicide:

Quote from another player at my last (and only so far) game of it: "Man, this will be so much fun the next time I play it."

There is no such thing as a speed game of that thing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Finally got a couple of games of Valley of the Kings in. I think it's my favorite deckbuilder. Entombing cards for points, thus losing their abilities and purchase power, sending cards to your opponent's tomb (effectively giving them points so that you can do special things), strategic use of the card pyramids crumble - it all adds up to a very crunchy, entertaining game. Highly recommended.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Trynant posted:

"Man, this will be so much fun the next time I play it."

highfrontier.txt

I still haven't played it with anyone a second time.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Oldstench posted:

Finally got a couple of games of Valley of the Kings in. I think it's my favorite deckbuilder. Entombing cards for points, thus losing their abilities and purchase power, sending cards to your opponent's tomb (effectively giving them points so that you can do special things), strategic use of the card pyramids crumble - it all adds up to a very crunchy, entertaining game. Highly recommended.

I really enjoy Valley of the Kings as a two player game the more I play it.

All the victory points are in set collection instead of flat VP, and even your most common basic card (the Shabti) is useful for maintaining control of the market into the late game. In a two player game, you can start to eliminate sets as they appear to prevent your opponent from getting massive points from them.

I know it's been pilloried in this thread before for using the dreaded Market Row (/Pyramid) system and for each card having a gold value, VP value (or set) and text effect, but it's well-made with tons of tactical choices throughout.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ayn Randi posted:

Speaking of keyflower does anyone play the unofficial advanced variant? That is known meeples (unsuccessful bids and those placed on won/village tiles recovered at end of season) and known skill tiles/wheat etc are in front of the screen as public knowledge? I've seen it suggested as a handicap where the experienced players do this and the newer players don't, wondering if it has a significant effect on the game as at this point I've played a poo poo ton of keyflower 2 player and would like to ease the introduction for new folk I want to bring in

Edit: keyflower is great you should buy keyflower

I introduced it to Richard so yes. And I was really happy when he made it official, without that variant the game simply feels arbitrary to me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is king of New York a $10 improvement over king of Tokyo? Friend and I tried the latter and enjoyed it for a filler game.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Chill la Chill posted:

Is king of New York a $10 improvement over king of Tokyo? Friend and I tried the latter and enjoyed it for a filler game.

I don't personally like it but others in the thread do. I feel it tries to add too much to what is really a light dice game and gets a bit lost along the way.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Lorini posted:

I introduced it to Richard so yes. And I was really happy when he made it official, without that variant the game simply feels arbitrary to me.

I enjoy the use of trackable hidden information so it speeds gameplay up. Plus it ruins the mystique of tiles where you grab keyples out of the bag.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Can you still play it Tokyo style? And if so would you say any added rules or components make up for the $10?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Chill la Chill posted:

Can you still play it Tokyo style? And if so would you say any added rules or components make up for the $10?

Many of the upgrades and the dice deal with all the New York content instead of just generic cards, so you can't really pick and choose bits to bring into a KoT game.

However, don't let me turn you off it - if it's available for 10 bucks and you really like KoT I think it's worth a shot.

[EDIT] Also if you're looking for more King of Tokyo there are the Power Up and Halloween expansions but I don't know anything about those.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 30, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobvonunheil posted:

However, don't let me turn you off it - if it's available for 10 bucks and you really like KoT I think it's worth a shot.

I think he's saying that KONY costs $10 more than King of Tokyo.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ETB posted:

... Plus it ruins the mystique of tiles where you grab keyples out of the bag.

What do you mean? Keyples from the bag are still secret.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

I think he's saying that KONY costs $10 more than King of Tokyo.

Yeah that's it and that's too bad that it can't play KOT. I suppose it makes sense: it's probably for people who already had KOT and wanted more.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Personally, I enjoy KoT with the expansions far more than I did King of NY.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Electric Hobo posted:

What do you mean? Keyples from the bag are still secret.

Ah, thought the variant just removed the screen altogether.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Who cares about being a king when you can be a pharoah, or whatever the hell you are in Kemet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How heavy/long a game is Kemet compared to stuff like Eclipse or Game of Thrones?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Gort posted:

How heavy/long a game is Kemet compared to stuff like Eclipse or Game of Thrones?

At least half the length of either of those games. About 1.5 to 2.5 hours, depending on your group/teaching. Veterans will be done in less than 2.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Personally, I enjoy KoT with the expansions far more than I did King of NY.

Do the expansions help prevent people just rolling VPs and deliberating not attacking to win the game because IMO if it wasn't for that KoT would be a decent enough filler for newer crowds but as is the game is too often anticlimactic and dumb

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Gort posted:

The game usually ends anywhere from 45min-105min depending on the speed of the involved players. There are enough systems and interesting decisions to keep hardcore gamers happy though. Its a very good midweight war game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Hmm, that sounds right up my alley. The length of those games was generally longer than I liked.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

GrandpaPants posted:

Who cares about being a king when you can be a pharoah, or whatever the hell you are in Kemet.

You literally have a board depicting which god you're playing. Sure, pharaohs were god kings, but that's still a step below the big guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poopy Palpy posted:

You literally have a board depicting which god you're playing. Sure, pharaohs were god kings, but that's still a step below the big guys.

Tell that to Akhenaten :colbert: