Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Spicy Guacamole posted:

The league event isn't supposed to end until midnight EDT. :( What a crappy bug. The Germany season starts immediately after, though.

It ended up happening to me on the 4th stage too. At this point I don't think I can even check my time to see where I should be, can I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Counterpoint, and my big issue with it: Real cars do not work the way they do in DiRT Rally. A race prepped Lancia Delta Integrale with actual offroad spec tires should not slide off into the trees on the slightest corner at 30mph when my 2wd work truck on lovely lovely all season street tires can easily manage 30 - 40mph down dirt and gravel roads without breaking traction in the slightest.

It's not even a matter of throwing the weight and learning to drive, it's a matter of the tires just not gripping the way real tires do. It feels like every car is skating around on oiled up surfaces while running hockey pucks for tires. It's not realistic, nor is it a simulation of how real cars actually handle, unless rally drivers just cover their tires in lard before every stage for extra challenge. I could see if I was barreling into a hairpin corner at 60+ and my car pushing and plowing straight into the trees or whatever, that'd be expected. But taking a very slight righthand bend at 30mph and having the car just understeer and slide off the road? That's just silly.
Acute, Hairpins, Right Angle, and 1's are the only time I ever go below 40 MPH (and, hell, some of those don't even need to go sub-40 MPH depending on the lead-in/lead-out) in a Group B car and seem to stay on alright barring pulling either of the situations mentioned in my previous post (going in to the turn too hot, losing all grip, and then still not regaining grip in time despite losing a lot of speed; or bouncing off from too much speed over rough terrain... usually my bigger problem in Group B cars). :shrug: I doubt you're taking any tight turns of those nature at 40 MPH in your truck (since it'd probably rollover, never mind losing grip).

I haven't tried it, but I'm fairly sure you could navigate any stage in the game at 40 MPH and easily drive along like it was a normal road and it would be quite composed. There's also factors like your truck probably has a much softer suspension compared to a rally car since it's supposed to be easy to drive by literally even grandmas whilst a rally car is supposed to be fast and things like a stiff (or at least very fast reacting compared to street vehicles) suspension are usually important towards going as fast as possible.

The Devs, least last I looked, seem to be listening and responding to feedback. Maybe you should do some tests and present them if you really feel the low speed handling characteristics are demonstrably bad/bugged since, even if you convince us, things won't change without convincing them.

osker posted:

Another counterpoint. If they have a wrc driver on retainer, how come the ffb was spectacular dog poo poo until some racedept schlubs fixed it?
They said the first week Dirt Rally was out that they did a half-assed implementation of FFB and would be revisiting it? I don't have a wheel (and, therefore, zero expertise on configuring one) so I can't really comment on why their revised version wasn't as good as what some third party was able to put together after their FFB changes.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

advion posted:

Because translating real world feeling to a wheel on your desk run by lovely little motors doesn't really work. No matter what game/sim or who you have on retainer or testing it. They do their best but even the best implementations are pretty horrible.

Maybe I'm crazy, but if your job is to translate real world feeling to a wheel on my desk run by lovely little motors, then gently caress son, have some professional pride, read a book about vehicle dynamics. SAE bookstore can hook a dude up for like 30-50 bux.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

pik_d posted:

It ended up happening to me on the 4th stage too. At this point I don't think I can even check my time to see where I should be, can I?
It should still show up on the league page, because the next one doesn't start until just after midnight. Phone posting right now, so I can't see.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It should still show up on the league page, because the next one doesn't start until just after midnight. Phone posting right now, so I can't see.

I don't see myself there because it just shows me the final standings, which mirror whats on the site. I don't see any "view self" or anything either.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Just tried the Opel Kadett on Hammerstein and wow. Does anyone know what happened with the Renault Alpine? Thought we were getting that for the 60s.
Edit: The S4 on the new stages is a bit scary.

MeatloafCat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 30, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

I don't see myself there because it just shows me the final standings, which mirror whats on the site. I don't see any "view self" or anything either.
Yeah, just saw that, myself. That means it's not tracking you as having completed that stage. You can still try to run that stage again, if you'd like. That happened to me a few events ago; the game crashed right after I ended the stage and the result apparently didn't go through. I did it again and it worked fine.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

bUm posted:

The Devs, least last I looked, seem to be listening and responding to feedback. Maybe you should do some tests and present them if you really feel the low speed handling characteristics are demonstrably bad/bugged since, even if you convince us, things won't change without convincing them.

Yes, because on a forum full of sperglords screaming about how everything needs less grip and how adding any optional features like rewinds would ruin their ~*~precious ultrasim and attract those filthy goddamn casuals who aren't willing to invest thousands of hours into the game~*~, i'm sure me suggesting that maybe their grip levels are too low and need to be bumped up to simulate actual tires would go over splendidly and not end with me getting shouted down by a bunch of angry internet trolls :v:

I think i'll just stick to DiRT 3. I know 90% of the community hates it but at least the handling model and physics actually make sense.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, just saw that, myself. That means it's not tracking you as having completed that stage. You can still try to run that stage again, if you'd like. That happened to me a few events ago; the game crashed right after I ended the stage and the result apparently didn't go through. I did it again and it worked fine.

No, I can't go back and do it, because my game knows I've done it. I can't get back into the screen where you drive the stages. It didn't crash, it failed to upload the time, and I don't know how to make it try again. I thought if I did the next stage it would work, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Sounds like a legit bug to me. Time to call it in, I guess.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Sounds like a legit bug to me. Time to call it in, I guess.

Someone else has posted it on the Codemasters forum here.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Weird question but are there any racing sims for cars like regular sedans? I want to take a Fusion around nurburing but nothing I can find for the PC

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Weird question but are there any racing sims for cars like regular sedans? I want to take a Fusion around nurburing but nothing I can find for the PC

Just shoot yourself in the dick/vagina. It'll be about as painful and a bit more exciting.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Nope. That's console only territory.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Lol @ complaining about the lack of grip in a rally sim.

Also wondering wtf happened to the A110.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

PCars has a couple sedan-like vehicles. Nothing as lowly as a Ford Fusion, but a BMW M1 and Mitsubishi Lancer. There's also a few hatchbacks that have closer to similar-ish performance to a Ford Fusion.

Jehde posted:

I had a good laugh and figured it was a good point to stop the conversation when he said sticking to Dirt 3, a game that I don't think even pretends it's not arcade anymore (like the first Dirt did... and I jumped in feet first having loved the Colin McRae's of old... and it was one of the most disappointing gaming experiences I've ever had because, even as an arcade racer, it was not fun).

In other news, the Dirt Rally patch decided to bug out for me at installing (at least I assume since it said installing for like an hour after finishing the DL... on an SSD) and fell into an infinite loop of validating files (let it run for three hours while playing another game) after I restarted Steam. Guess it's good I don't have a monthly internet cap (relegating the poo poo ISP industry to a utility can't be implemented quick enough :colbert:), but still kind of annoying to DL 7 GB and have it screw up so I then have to DL 12 more GB. :smith:

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Assetto Corsa can almost but not quite fit the billing if you're willing to drive an Alfa or Abarth. Like mentioned above Project Cars also comes close enough.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Assetto Corsa can almost but not quite fit the billing if you're willing to drive an Alfa or Abarth. Like mentioned above Project Cars also comes close enough.

If nothing else, AC has a ton of car mods, and there seems to be this funny sub-movement within that community that hugely enjoys recreating absolutely rubbish vehicles. The Reliant Robin mod for AC was the best thing ever…

It's probably possible to find something you're looking for — the question is whether it's well done or just made for a lark.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Jehde posted:

Also wondering wtf happened to the A110.

lol @ thinking no grip on loose surfaces = realism. You can have a rally sim and still have realistic levels of grip.

bUm posted:

I had a good laugh and figured it was a good point to stop the conversation when he said sticking to Dirt 3, a game that I don't think even pretends it's not arcade anymore (like the first Dirt did... and I jumped in feet first having loved the Colin McRae's of old... and it was one of the most disappointing gaming experiences I've ever had because, even as an arcade racer, it was not fun).

I never said it wasn't arcade or that it was a super great sim, just that it was consistent and actual fun as opposed to jankfuckery like DR's physics and handling model.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

T1g4h posted:

lol @ thinking no grip on loose surfaces = realism. You can have a rally sim and still have realistic levels of grip.

I never said it wasn't arcade or that it was a super great sim, just that it was consistent and actual fun as opposed to jankfuckery like DR's physics and handling model.

I've never rallied, so I'm not positive about the dirt surfaces (they feel okay to me, though), but those icy tarmac stages have WAY too much goddamn grip. I live in Buffalo, and if you tried to drive half as fast on real ice as you can get on those stages, you would be backwards in a ditch immediately. Maybe there's less ice on the ground than the shaders or textures make it look, but my rule has always been "if you can see the ice, you're not turning or stopping any faster than 20 mph." And it doesn't look like those roads were salted, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDsclaXxy6c

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Don't compare driving your car to driving a race ready rally car, it's simply not comparable if you think how much money they throw at those. I'm not going to claim I know how they really handle, but I'm pretty sure one snow or ice tyre that's used in WRC costs more than my dinky Skoda.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Compare how the WRC cars handle to the others.

Also they loving broke the replay system, god dammit.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Is there no where safe from grip discussion on race sims on the internet???

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
"I just feel like theres too much/too little grip" ok cause this is a video game and not real life, hand off your autism for a bit and have fun driving a fake car real fast while not dying when you drive it the gently caress off a mountain.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

osker posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but if your job is to translate real world feeling to a wheel on my desk run by lovely little motors, then gently caress son, have some professional pride, read a book about vehicle dynamics. SAE bookstore can hook a dude up for like 30-50 bux.

Tell that to iRacing so they can fix their low speed lack of grip.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ledenko posted:

Don't compare driving your car to driving a race ready rally car, it's simply not comparable if you think how much money they throw at those. I'm not going to claim I know how they really handle, but I'm pretty sure one snow or ice tyre that's used in WRC costs more than my dinky Skoda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFzKDlibi6g

The best tires in the world can't make up for physics.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KillHour posted:

The best tires in the world can't make up for physics.

But a proper set of tires can make life a lot easier. The all-seasons most of us run on our daily drivers are dogshit in anything but clear skies. In snow/ice a good winter tire or studded wheels make a dramatic difference.

Yeah you're not going to be taking sweepers flat out but there is some grip to be found.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cool I love interviews and not any footage of cars actually going on ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebmTYJe4R20

Also, just normal traffic here in Iceland stays at 56 mph on the ring road even on ice. Keep in mind it's bumpy, squirrelly and only one lane per direction. The only modification most people make is put on studded tires.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

T1g4h posted:

Serious question: Do you actually check the speedo when determining your speed ingame? Because sims generally don't use visual tricks to increase the sense of speed and as a result (due to a lack of peripheral vision) feel slower than real life. It might just be that what feels like 30mph is actually 50mph. I haven't spent that much time with Dirt yet, but when I did grip felt okay.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

xzzy posted:

But a proper set of tires can make life a lot easier. The all-seasons most of us run on our daily drivers are dogshit in anything but clear skies. In snow/ice a good winter tire or studded wheels make a dramatic difference.

Yeah you're not going to be taking sweepers flat out but there is some grip to be found.

That's the part I think that is often missed on the “no grip” side of the argument: somehow, they feel it is entirely in order for the car to be able to accelerate wildly, but turning should somehow be near-impossible at the same time because there's supposedly no grip. The way some games “simulate” grip on ice, the car shouldn't even be able to move forward but should rather just start slipping down-hill. Now, granted, I have seen that exact thing happen with cars sporting more southern license plates (and drivers not understanding that flooring it will just make it worse), but as you mention, they've not exactly been fitted with proper winter-weather tyres.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Naturally Selected posted:

Just shoot yourself in the dick/vagina. It'll be about as painful and a bit more exciting.

I think racing road cars is miles more entertaining then jetting rallies or supers personally!

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I think racing road cars is miles more entertaining then jetting rallies or supers personally!

Assetto corsa mods are your best bet, racedepartment is good for them but there are some places like actraxxx or some poo poo where they keep it off centralised websited like racedepartment

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Great Joe posted:

Cool I love interviews and not any footage of cars actually going on ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebmTYJe4R20

Also, just normal traffic here in Iceland stays at 56 mph on the ring road even on ice. Keep in mind it's bumpy, squirrelly and only one lane per direction. The only modification most people make is put on studded tires.

The car in this video has zero grip. The entire thing is done going sideways, and the fast turns are all 5-6 turns in deep snow on a very wide track. Notice how slow he is going for the tight turns. The only thing keeping that car on the road is the skill of the driver, which frankly, you don't have.

Compare to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJtuI4K-J3k

Driving like that in any car would be suicidal if there was even a little bit of ice on the road.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Almost all racers these days have a selection of cars that could have just rolled off a dealer's lot. They're usually the "sport package" trim but are otherwise stock.

Pcars only has a few, off the top of my head there's a Focus and Clio, plus some offerings from BMW and Mercedes. But they're there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KillHour posted:

Driving like that in any car would be suicidal if there was even a little bit of ice on the road.

You mean you have to drive differently on dry pavement than on ice? This is shocking, tell me more!

Also what kind of nerd sets up three cameras to record his driving. Does anyone really care that much?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

You mean you have to drive differently on dry pavement than on ice? This is shocking, tell me more!

Also what kind of nerd sets up three cameras to record his driving. Does anyone really care that much?

That road is SUPPOSED to have ice on it. It's an ice stage.

My point is it doesn't feel like you're on ice. Or at least it doesn't feel like there are patches of ice. The entire road is just one slightly-slick piece of pavement, like it just rained or something. There should be dry pieces where you have normal grip and then spots where you have ZERO grip. Because that's how ice works. It's also why black ice is so dangerous. Everything is fine until "Nope! gently caress you."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh I didn't notice the video title, heh, that's pretty funny.

It just looked like a pleasant fall drive to me.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

T1g4h posted:

Where did I say that? Yeah it's possible to make a rally sim that's super grippy, it would just be boring and defeat the point of playing a rally sim. Basically this:

OhsH posted:

"I just feel like theres too much/too little grip" ok cause this is a video game and not real life, hand off your autism for a bit and have fun driving a fake car real fast while not dying when you drive it the gently caress off a mountain.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

I think it's mostly because of videos like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdy8CG09rSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU

People talk about the fancy footwork of the pros, so someone who wants to feel like a pro sim driver wants to show off what they're doing.

There might also be a small bit of proving they're actually doing it rather than just running with assists on, idunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I like Germany. It lets me go really fast.

• Locked thread