Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Kalman posted:

So you support training police to be less moral, less human, and more willing to overcome natural inhibitions against use of force?

If the only two options are "applaud police for not stopping a murdercop when they have no beef killing people usually" and "the cops kill murdercops along with the people who don't deserve it" I guess I'll pick the latter? I mean it's a good thing those aren't the only two options but yeah; offering a hypothetical where cops become less reluctant to use force in a country where they are already not very reluctant to do so isn't a powerful threat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

:words:he tries to use his daughter as a shield:words:
Even their Chief said the officers were out of line after looking at the video. Get that through your head.

quote:

“I never want a child’s safety being jeopardized. This is the type of incident that causes us to reflect on what we tell our police officers and how we tell them,” he said in a statement.
This is the Police chief over those guys. You and Semper are out of line and honestly make it harder for good officers to maintain their integrity because you are lionizing cops who are jeopardizing children.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yes actually I do think policing should be done by a professional "force" of some kind, maybe even one with some sort of academy where they could be trained to cope with the human urge to protect their own tribe at all costs and to be frightened of those who look like they are from another tribe, so they can discharge the duties appropriate to their career in a civilized society.

Hey, me too.

So you agree with me that it's totally natural for the officers not to have wanted to shoot their sergeant. See? You can think that what they did was totally normal and human and still the wrong choice.

Which is what people have been trying to get through your thick loving skull for the last 5 pages.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Kalman posted:

Hey, me too.

So you agree with me that it's totally natural for the officers not to have wanted to shoot their sergeant.
You are leaving out the part where he murders someone in front of you and has children hostage. Don't forget that. Most people react differently with those 2 factors added in.

edit: They also probably knew the Wife and Children too as well as officer shooty's domestic violence history. Add that to the other 2 factors.

tezcat fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 30, 2015

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Kalman posted:

Hey, me too.

So you agree with me that it's totally natural for the officers not to have wanted to shoot their sergeant. See? You can think that what they did was totally normal and human and still the wrong choice.

Which is what people have been trying to get through your thick loving skull for the last 5 pages.

I would love to see you go to this woman's family and use this argument. What we're trying to get through your thick loving skull for the last five pages is that this kind of conduct costs lives. And since we can't bring the dead back when cops go "whoops my bad", we expect cops to err on the side of minimizing deaths and casualties especially of those who have not demonstrated a capacity for murder.

But God forbid you actually address this point.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalman posted:

Hey, me too.

I haven't been here the last 5 pages, and all I did was reword what the people you're arguing with have been saying, but I'm glad I could clear it all up and we can see that the disagreement isn't nearly as big as it might have seemed.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kalman posted:

Hey, me too.

Nobody thinks it's not hard to kill your friend. People here just don't buy that it's a valid excuse to not try to save the woman. It's really a very simple and straightforward position.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The entire point behind police officers is that they're supposed to be more morally upstanding and willing to make sacrifices to do what's right for protecting society than the average person.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I sign up to be a cop and accept the public trust and authority to use lethal force in defense of the populace, and suddenly you're asking me to make the tough decisions and handle myself in a professional manner.

What's next, asking firemen not to let the houses of people they don't like burn down, or asking the FDA not to let their buddies slide on infractions? Those things are just human nature!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

So you support training police to be less moral, less human, and more willing to overcome natural inhibitions against use of force?

Nope! Despite my best efforts to provide you with wisdom, you keep loving it up. See below:

SedanChair posted:

I cannot understand how "since you have the authority to use deadly force with impunity, how about you use it in those vanishingly rare instances where it's actually appropriate, rather than hundreds of times when it is not" can possibly be construed as "get trigger happy." Either we're dealing with disingenuous liars or people with cognitive processing disorders.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

I sign up to be a cop and accept the public trust and authority to use lethal force in defense of the populace, and suddenly you're asking me to make the tough decisions and handle myself in a professional manner.

What's next, asking firemen not to let the houses of people they don't like burn down, or asking the FDA not to let their buddies slide on infractions? Those things are just human nature!

Show some common loving empathy. It's harder to put out a fellow goodfriend fireman's rainforest book bonfire. It makes you blink.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

A Fancy Bloke posted:

If the only two options are "applaud police for not stopping a murdercop when they have no beef killing people usually" and "the cops kill murdercops along with the people who don't deserve it" I guess I'll pick the latter? I mean it's a good thing those aren't the only two options but yeah; offering a hypothetical where cops become less reluctant to use force in a country where they are already not very reluctant to do so isn't a powerful threat

I'm really glad to see all the people who want to disarm cops in this thread. Much like all the people tho think that everyone accused of a crime should be treated like Zimmerman and so obviously support prison abolition.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

They probably talked that now murdered woman out of filing a domestic violence complaint dozens of times. Tough decisions, made in a professional manner.

There is going to be a pattern of abuse, going back decades. Letting her die might be the closest they ever got to showing her kindness.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Kalman posted:

So you agree with me that it's totally natural for the officers not to have wanted to shoot their sergeant.

It's totally natural for garbagemen to not want to have to pick up the trash too, but they do it, cause it's their job.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Kalman posted:

Hey, me too.

Nobody.is saying it isn't natural. Everyone is saying and the apologists are pretending nobody is saying is the cops didn't do a loving thing when there was a woman bleeding to death. Fine don't shoot him, taze him, beanbag him, loving do SOMETHING besides spending half an hour putting together a photo album.

The second thing apologists haven't even touched is where the gently caress is this patient empathy for anyone else. Someone is loving dying and shot in front of them but instant non-compliance from a non violent non-cop and cops lose their poo poo start screaming at people, whip out tazers and people end up dead for no other reason than instead of treating everyone like their good buddy sarge they get bullshit "resisting arrest" because they didn't go limp and dared to ask what the gently caress is going on especially in cases where their only actual crime at that point is daring to ask what they are being charged with. Nice catch-22.

Watch the white and black open carry guys video. White gut gets treated like a human, black guy gets drawn on instantly. People ask why the gently caress doesn't everyone get treated like good old wife murdering sarge and all they can do is waste pages arguing about headlights and how hard it is to have to take down someone committing murder right in front of you because you know him.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Lyesh posted:

the people tho think that everyone accused of a crime should be treated like Zimmerman

are there people who are against everyone being given a fair trial posting here now? has this thread sunk that low?

Toasticle posted:

The second thing apologists haven't even touched is where the gently caress is this patient empathy for anyone else. Someone is loving dying and shot in front of them but instant non-compliance from a non violent non-cop and cops lose their poo poo start screaming at people, whip out tazers and people end up dead for no other reason than instead of treating everyone like their good buddy sarge they get bullshit "resisting arrest" because they didn't go limp and dared to ask what the gently caress is going on especially in cases where their only actual crime at that point is daring to ask what they are being charged with. Nice catch-22.

It's the exact same thought process, dude. Had the cops reacted like they normally did and hosed the guy up, nobody would be surprised or feel sorry for him because he was resisting arrest and was a crazy murderer. Similarly, when someone who's obviously under arrest for some also-obvious thing resists and ends up getting their rear end kicked, I and many other people have very limited sympathy for them. It just happens that in the first case, the cops had a few reasons to balk at doing what needed to be done.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

semper wifi posted:

It's the exact same thought process, dude. Had the cops reacted like they normally did and hosed the guy up, nobody would be surprised or feel sorry for him because he was resisting arrest and was a crazy murderer. Similarly, when someone who's obviously under arrest for some also-obvious thing resists and ends up getting their rear end kicked, I and many other people have very limited sympathy for them. It just happens that in the first case, the cops had a few reasons to balk at doing what needed to be done.

It's pretty clear that you don't "have limited sympathy," you actively cheer on the deaths of people at the hands of police.

semper wifi posted:

I'm not justifying what the cops did, I'm criticizing the tendency for people in this thread to let high-profile victims of police violence completely off the hook, to the point of pretending that a 25 year old man qualifies as a "kid". The cops aren't great but Freddie, and Freddie alone, was the one who invited them into his life.

e: and yeah, that sounds harsh I know, but this is looking like the third time now this big blowup has been over what turns out to be some dumbass basically getting into it with someone and losing.
And every time it happens the casual observer just shrugs their shoulders and goes away thinking the cops aren't that bad after all.

semper wifi posted:

"anyone who disagrees with me is trolling"

Lil Freddie, poor baby was only 25. Just a little kid, just making those little kiddie mistakes like carrying a switchblade around and selling drugs. He could've been an astronaut or a secret agent when he grew up! And big Mike, little guy was just learning to commit strong arm robberies and assault 5 foot nothing convenience store clerks when those mean ol police cut him down for no reason. Hands up!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Man, usually the smarter authority worshipers are deft enough to pivot to "these were isolated bad actors who don't reflect anything at all of the culture and attitudes of their organization, and they are getting charged so the system works" whenever an obvious case of unjustified manslaughter and premeditated violence against a shackled prisoner comes out.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

FRINGE posted:

Theres a lot of stuff going on in these topics every day. Getting mired in arguing with the people who think that murder is ok when Heroes do it is a massive distraction machine.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/americas-slave-empire

This is interesting. At least when compared with five pages of shoot/don't shoot.

I knew we had de facto slave labor subsidizing our food supply in a variety of ways, but I didn't realize that the state employed literal slaves to drive down the price of McDonald's hamburgers. Is there any more information on this?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Man, usually the smarter authority worshipers are deft enough to pivot to "these were isolated bad actors who don't reflect anything at all of the culture and attitudes of their organization, and they are getting charged so the system works" whenever an obvious case of unjustified manslaughter and premeditated violence against a shackled prisoner comes out.

All cops are good except for the ones involved in the 147 incidents listed in this thread.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Nah even they are usually good even in the most egregious circumstances. The "perp" generally shouldn't have "talked back", "resisted", or should have just averted his gaze quicker.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

semper wifi posted:

are there people who are against everyone being given a fair trial posting here now? has this thread sunk that low?

I'd be perfectly fine with it. It's just that if we actually did that, then our prisons would be almost empty.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

Haha, get a load of the guy who gushed approvingly at the execution of Freddie Gray before he'd even been charged pearl-clutching over forumsposters criticizing police on the internet without the benefit of trial.

Lyesh posted:

I'd be perfectly fine with it. It's just that if we actually did that, then our prisons would be almost empty.

It would also mean we'd have to let everyone actually reach the trial alive instead of shackling and murdering them first.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 2, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f3e_1435755500

Stop monday morning quarterbacking!! Or whatever stupid poo poo apologists say.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Agrajag posted:

I'm the wall he was casually slammed into before he was yelled at

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Agrajag posted:

This is how some cops act despite knowing they're being recorded by a device pinned to their chest.

Edit:

quote:

For the recent jail beating, Magness pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and was placed on one year probation by an Adams County court in June. Lasnik was also charged with misdemeanor assault. He has retained an attorney who says they are considering civil action.

http://kdvr.com/2015/06/30/body-cam-shows-federal-heights-officer-with-history-of-violence-beating-suspect/

Devor fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 2, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Misdemeanor assault and just probation? loving hell. Why aren't there sentencing enhancements for crimes committed by those abusing their authority, that seems like it should obviously be more egregious than most of the existing reasons for those enhancements? And how does someone with a prior assault conviction manage to walk away with probation regardless of the circumstances?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
From the other side of the argument for body-cameras: suicide-by-cop.

:siren: NMS/NSFW -- two angles, snychronized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfUBZptZ9Q

Depressing as poo poo, but I think it well illustrates a few points:
  • The importance of training, especially as relates to snap judgements
  • How so many rounds can get dumped so quickly
  • Body-cams verifying what happened

To continue on that last point, how this goes down is a boilerplate, "He was (suddenly) coming right for me!," story. If for some reason this were to blow up in their faces, how would that story fly? Except here, we actually have proof that it actually happened and in that fashion. This case is exemplary of, "Cops should want this, too."

Lastly, context:

quote:

James D. Bushey, 47, of Elkhart, went into the restaurant after shoplifting alcohol from Walmart Sunday evening. After Palestine Police officers removed him from his hiding place, the restroom inside the establishment, he pulled out a pistol. It was later discovered that the pistol was a BB gun. An officer attempted to get the weapon away from Bushey, but the man broke free from the officer and pointed the weapon at the officers. The two officers shot Bushey multiple times trying to eliminate the threat of a weapon.

Tuesday, family members recalled a man who was trying to rebuild his life.

James Bushey moved to Palestine six months ago after going through a divorce and several life changing events where he lost everything, according to his brother Jeff Bushey. The brother said he was allowing James a place to stay while he recovered from the tragic events.

:smith:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Man that was a nice little throw move to get out of the line of fire. Nothing wrong with any of that.

See cops? It's for your own protection!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Literally LOL if you paid attention to the Eric Garner incident and think cameras will curb police brutality

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I would have thought the case about the officers failing to do something about the police killing his hostage ex wife would have been a slam dunk "gently caress cops" moment, but welp, here we are.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zelder posted:

I would have thought the case about the officers failing to do something about the police killing his hostage ex wife would have been a slam dunk "gently caress cops" moment, but welp, here we are.

Someone literally called us sociopaths for not empathizing with the killer enough...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Literally LOL if you paid attention to the Eric Garner incident and think cameras will curb police brutality

Cameras seemed to help with that South Carolina case. And also the other case posted above where the cop is no longer a cop because he was fired.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Cameras seemed to help with that South Carolina case. And also the other case posted above where the cop is no longer a cop because he was fired.

He wasn't fired because of the body camera he was fired because his superiors and coworkers recognized that he was a raging rear end in a top hat who was impossible to work with.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Cameras are useful enough that there is no reason not to have them. They are however not a panacea because, as this thread illustrates, Americans are totally cool with cops beating the gently caress out of people for being disobedient.

Also convicted domestic abusers or people with records of assault should be bared forever from being police officers. I just can't fathom why you would want someone with a short temper to be authorized to initiate physical force on people.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mavric posted:

Cameras are useful enough that there is no reason not to have them. They are however not a panacea because, as this thread illustrates, Americans are totally cool with cops beating the gently caress out of people for being disobedient.

There's a bad trend among people in which any solution that doesn't immediately solve the problem is treated as useless and shouldn't be started in the first place unless it's better. Of course body cameras won't be an instant cure, but departments using cameras that can't be turned off by the officer have experienced a marked decrease in complaints and violence. They're not super awesome, but they do something. It provides a way to chip away at the violence by providing an immediate form of oversight to discourage abusive behavior.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Accretionist posted:

From the other side of the argument for body-cameras: suicide-by-cop.

My buddies are all for the body cams. Apparently having everything recorded is a good way to lower BS complaints against cops.

That video. Best coment: 0:14 "Ofc Griffin has joined the server,"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a bad trend among people in which any solution that doesn't immediately solve the problem is treated as useless and shouldn't be started in the first place unless it's better. Of course body cameras won't be an instant cure, but departments using cameras that can't be turned off by the officer have experienced a marked decrease in complaints and violence. They're not super awesome, but they do something. It provides a way to chip away at the violence by providing an immediate form of oversight to discourage abusive behavior.

Rialto PD could turn them off and they still had a huge effect. They shouldn't be able to period, but justvthe impact of having them cannot be understated.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Woozy posted:

He wasn't fired because of the body camera he was fired because his superiors and coworkers recognized that he was a raging rear end in a top hat who was impossible to work with.

He might not have been fired because of the video specifically, but the video was reviewed and undoubtedly used as evidence against him for the firing, along with the rest of his history of assholery.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah it is just another way of being dismissive. There is literally no reason to be against the cameras. The cameras protect cops too. In fact, I would even be willing to believe that the cameras could help cops more than they help everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ElCondemn posted:

Someone literally called us sociopaths for not empathizing with the killer enough...

It's more like a bunch of people are insanely care mad a cop didn't die, regardless of circumstances.

• Locked thread