Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Mega Shark posted:

I know this might be silly but anyway we can get a category for those of us stupid enough to make a game solo?

You're right that is a bit silly, each of the three possible categories are perfectly suited for any scale of game.

There have been plenty of successful solo teams in the past, just go for it!

edit: Since this is at the top of a new page I'll reiterate.

There will be a livestream at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev on June 30th 11pm Central. We'll announce the theme and explain some stuff, hope you'll join us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Mega Shark posted:

I know this might be silly but anyway we can get a category for those of us stupid enough to make a game solo?

I'm solo, you won't be the only one working towards the hall of shame alone.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Diametunim posted:

I'm solo, you won't be the only one working towards the hall of shame alone.

Likewise. Spelling team with an 'I'

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Is this really about winning, or is it about jamming most triumphantly?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BossRighteous posted:

Is this really about winning, or is it about jamming most triumphantly?

It's mostly about participating, really.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's mostly about participating, really.

And about finishing a game, triumphantly, winningly, or not.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hey nerds, :effort: at filling out that spreadsheet but if you are in dire need of an extra coder i will code some poo poo to the max for you, or run QA or whatever silly nerd things you need doing. i have this impressive credential on my resume: i completed and submitted a functional computer game to SAGDC last year. it sucked, and was 30 seconds long (15 seconds if you are good at shmups) but it cleared my name from the incorporeal wall of shame and i have no regrets. i didn't know poo poo about unity last year and c# was cake so i'm pretty sure any imperative language will not present any problems. pm me :boom:

if nobody adopts me i will be forced to create another lovely one-person project and subject you all to its horrors :unsmigghh:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Just got word I have to take my vacation the last week of July, if I want any vacation at all. It doesn't matter, by hook or by crook I'm getting a game in.

Hopefully then I can focus on getting out of my lovely job.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Re-familiarizing myself with Unity and doing some physics/particle tests: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20990367/sagdc/2015/testing/Web/Web.html

I've got this in the bag :smug:

Fake edit: if anyone knows why the particles disappear/reappear sometimes when doing light taps instead of holding mouse, let me know.

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

sighnoceros posted:

Re-familiarizing myself with Unity and doing some physics/particle tests: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20990367/sagdc/2015/testing/Web/Web.html

I've got this in the bag :smug:

Fake edit: if anyone knows why the particles disappear/reappear sometimes when doing light taps instead of holding mouse, let me know.

Swap the robot for a grandma, replace the particles with fart clouds, and you've got yourself GOTY material right there. Just needs pickups like extra-greasy breakfast burritos for speed or something.

As for your particles, it actually seems to be more like any time the mouse is released, the particles only have about half a second before they're all removed. While the mouse is held down, they go to what looks like their full duration.

Do you have any code clearing the particles after releasing the mouse, or maybe you're disabling the particle system component on mouse release? If you're using the Shuriken particles, I think the way I usually do that stuff if I want the existing particles to remain is to set ParticleSystem.enableEmission to true/false. That should let it keep simulating whatever's already there normally.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
Alterian and I are in as a husband and wife team! We are rooting for the critical omission theme and already have an idea for it. Good luck everyone!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I might join (with a non-Icarus Proudbottom title) if critical omission gets picked, because I have a gameplay idea that I think will be REALLY fun and want to pump it out real quick.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007

ApproachingInfinity posted:

Swap the robot for a grandma, replace the particles with fart clouds, and you've got yourself GOTY material right there. Just needs pickups like extra-greasy breakfast burritos for speed or something.

As for your particles, it actually seems to be more like any time the mouse is released, the particles only have about half a second before they're all removed. While the mouse is held down, they go to what looks like their full duration.

Do you have any code clearing the particles after releasing the mouse, or maybe you're disabling the particle system component on mouse release? If you're using the Shuriken particles, I think the way I usually do that stuff if I want the existing particles to remain is to set ParticleSystem.enableEmission to true/false. That should let it keep simulating whatever's already there normally.

I was using Play() and Stop() initially, tried using enableEmission true/false and still does the same thing. It's weird, because if you hold the mouse down for a long time then release it, the particles stay around for much longer. Try spinning them around you in a circle then release it and they all stay.

Here's the code and particle system settings, in case anything jumps out at you:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Made this over the last couple of days to brush up on blender and texturing, didn't feel right incase we end up using it so here's a free pewpew for people to use.

Blender file and textures included.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dmbd1br5rro41w/VZ58.zip?dl=0

pew.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Kinda makes me want to make an FPS or something where you just throw guns at people and never actually shoot them.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Critical omission, bullets, club people to death with AKs.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Imajus posted:

Alterian and I are in as a husband and wife team! We are rooting for the critical omission theme and already have an idea for it. Good luck everyone!

Maybe this will be the year we finish.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Takanago posted:

Kinda makes me want to make an FPS or something where you just throw guns at people and never actually shoot them.

This was actually my first idea, a Contra clone. You have to bludgeon enemies to death, take their gun, and then throw useless guns at more enemies to kill them.

Everyone's running around confused why their guns don't work, then BLAMMO ak-47 to the chin.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Question regarding marketplace purchases on Unity or Unreal. If I have a purchased Hex Tile library someone else made, can I use it in the Jam?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
To contribute in the spirit of open source goodies, here's a screen shake script for Unity's camera. https://gist.github.com/poemdexter/9701850
Slap that puppy on the camera and then call Shake().

Mega Shark posted:

Question regarding marketplace purchases on Unity or Unreal. If I have a purchased Hex Tile library someone else made, can I use it in the Jam?

My opinion as a judge is sure. Everyone is going to be using various engines, libraries, and assets both open and closed source. What's important is the final product of the jam.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

poemdexter posted:

To contribute in the spirit of open source goodies, here's a screen shake script for Unity's camera. https://gist.github.com/poemdexter/9701850
Slap that puppy on the camera and then call Shake().

My opinion as a judge is sure. Everyone is going to be using various engines, libraries, and assets both open and closed source. What's important is the final product of the jam.

I figured as much, I also haven't made any decisions yet on if I will even use such a thing. Was more curiosity so I know what things I consider when planning the design out, come official topic announce.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know who this belongs to, but it's one of my favourite screenshots from SAGDC's past:

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

sighnoceros posted:

I was using Play() and Stop() initially, tried using enableEmission true/false and still does the same thing. It's weird, because if you hold the mouse down for a long time then release it, the particles stay around for much longer. Try spinning them around you in a circle then release it and they all stay.

Here's the code and particle system settings, in case anything jumps out at you:

Nothing about your code or settings jumps out as being the cause; it's probably just a bug, Shuriken particles seem to always pop out with really dumb ones. Just for giggles, try changing the Duration to either a very large or very small value, and/or remove the ParticleSystem.Play() from your Start (I don't believe you need to call it anyway for them to start simulating).

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007

sighnoceros posted:

Figured this out, or at least how to fix it. Seems that if the particle system's parent object is scaled they disappear like I was seeing. Set the scaling to 1,1,1 and it seems to work fine now: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20990367/sagdc/2015/testing/Web/Web.html

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Game jam almost starting and I'm with an useless left hand due to some anesthesics* from a surgery performed hours ago. And with my pc out of order. Ayy lmao.

*That's probably not the right spelling in english but you get the point.

Keket posted:

Critical omission, bullets, club people to death with AKs.

This was actually very fun to do during the original Medal of Honor campaign, with the rocket launcher. Which makes me slightly mad because I didnt came up with the idea. :P

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Mega Shark posted:

Yep! Purchased assets of any type are all fair game.

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

sighnoceros posted:

Figured this out, or at least how to fix it. Seems that if the particle system's parent object is scaled they disappear like I was seeing. Set the scaling to 1,1,1 and it seems to work fine now: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20990367/sagdc/2015/testing/Web/Web.html

Weird. Not sure why that would cause them to flat out disappear randomly. My first guess would be that, for the purpose of culling, the scale causes their bounds to be incorrect, so the renderer thinks they're offscreen even if they're not; it looked like you had 'em set to simulate in world space though so :psyduck: In any case, definitely looks like a bug.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I hate to point this out now, but there's nothing in the rules that says they can't choose more than one theme.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I hate to point this out now, but there's nothing in the rules that says they can't choose more than one theme.

Critical Omission: Grandma.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Fredrik1 posted:

Careful, this jam is cursed.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Fredrik1 posted:

Local Color Omission: Critical Grandma

Ethel Hunt is a secret agent framed for the deaths of her local rotary club team. Fleeing from town government assassins with no guns, breaking into the local bank's most impenetrable vault without codes, Hunt races like a burning fuse to stay one step ahead of her pursuers . . . and draw one step closer to discovering the omitted truth. This summer 2015.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Careful, this jam is cursed.

Critical Omission: Curse. :unsmith:

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Local grandmother defies conventions with one weird trick. Game designers hate her!

Looking forward to getting started, does the jam officially kick off after the theme is announced?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably my last experimentation with Phaser before this whole thing kicks off:

http://xzzy.org/sagdc/

Has game states, menus, keyboard and mouse input, toggles, collision, tilemaps, and win conditions. Basically the barest implementation of what you need for a 2d game. Code is available via a link on the page.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Not wanting to rock the boat but how is awfuljams at holding gifs for team logos? I saw another Chophouse did a gif and it looks fine so I made one too but it doesn't work :(

I could change it back to a static image but the team logo is probably the largest amount of effort I'm going to put into my submission.

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 30, 2015

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
It's been July 1:st for 44 minutes now!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Fredrik1 posted:

Not in my corner of the world bucko. You've got 4 1/2 hours to go.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

JonTerp posted:

Not in my corner of the world bucko. You've got 4 1/2 hours to go.

Why does the website say like 1 day and 7 hours? :P

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Fredrik1 posted:

Nine hours and nine minutes. I live in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
In again as Team Convenient Preserves. Heaven help us. You may remember my previous jam entries, You Can't Stay Connected and Planet Floop. Or you may not. Whatever.

Unfortunately, my previous source of music is kind of, you know, gone, so I'm in the market for anyone with a musical bent who wants to attach their talent to my crapola, whatever it may be.

• Locked thread