Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Davincie posted:

how are people who still care about blood blockade battlefront reacting to the news of the finale being indefinitely delayed?

http://myanimelist.net/news/40608038

:livintrope:

So for all purposes we can assume that the season ended with White's death, Leo crying and Black telling us a PV of the movie that we may not bother seeing? Bloody Gainax ending...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

So BBB isn't very good I'm guessing? I remember it was suggested to me as a show to watch this season earlier in its run. I watched the first two episodes and I thought they were alright but I didn't bother watching anymore.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

littleorv posted:

So BBB isn't very good I'm guessing? I remember it was suggested to me as a show to watch this season earlier in its run. I watched the first two episodes and I thought they were alright but I didn't bother watching anymore.
No no It's extremely good; just that the anime-only plot invaded the last episode and took over with a cliffhanger that we won't see resolved now for many months.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The anime original stuff isn't great, and it's especially bad when it gets in the way of the actually great manga stuff

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The bits derived from the manga are good and worth watching.

The anime-original bits started off alright but have quickly become boring. Blank and Black in particular.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ah gotcha. Maybe I'll watch the dub that Funimation is doing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You wouldn't think it'd be hard to come up with a fitting arc-villain for this setting but apparently you'd be wrong.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

You wouldn't think it'd be hard to come up with a fitting arc-villain for this setting but apparently you'd be wrong.

There's even a really good fun one shown front-and-center in the very first episode. But no, you see the writer really has to get you onto the story about their brother and sister characters who had an unfortunate encounter with an unknowably powerful god who bequeathed powers to the brother while the sister suffered as a result*.

What makes it worse is it's really apparent how badly it treats the source material just to get screentime for the anime-original stuff in the last few episodes. One of the big two-parter stories in the manga (a really good one with a fantastic fight and introduces a new main character) gets a full part-1, and part-2 gets the manga story over-and-done in five minutes for anime-original content. The other story is a pretty basic light-hearted one that's worn threadbare around more dull anime-original content (and even then it's ditched with a wall of text as its epilogue 3/4's through), and they utterly nuke said story's punchline just to use it as a cold opening for the episode instead.

*If you don't get the sarcasm, guess what also describes the protagonist and his own sister as the initial intro to the series.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Black and White are perfectly fine but Lunge, Launch, Lunge deserved better.

On the other hand some stories are better than the manga version, like the intro story or Aligula's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

Black and White are perfectly fine but Lunge, Launch, Lunge deserved better.

On the other hand some stories are better than the manga version, like the intro story or Aligula's.

Ehhh, not really. The intro story is really rushed, and while Aligula's story has some great additions for the anime version, it's missing a couple bits like why she's actually joyriding around in a car-eating truck.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bad Seafood posted:

The worst part is that it never even needed one in the first place.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ehhh, not really. The intro story is really rushed, and while Aligula's story has some great additions for the anime version, it's missing a couple bits like why she's actually joyriding around in a car-eating truck.

The intro story in the manga has absolutely awful panel layout that makes it impossible to tell what's actually happening.

Not really necessary information.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

*If you don't get the sarcasm, guess what also describes the protagonist and his own sister as the initial intro to the series.

it's like poetry, it rhymes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

The worst part is that it never even needed one in the first place.
It didn't, but as long as they were gonna throw one in anyway they might as well have done it right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

The intro story in the manga has absolutely awful panel layout that makes it impossible to tell what's actually happening.

Not really necessary information.

The information for Aligula's story is important, because it's never explained beyond "oh no, she's rampaging" in the anime. The whole point of the truck was to get it large enough to ram Pandora Asylum, home to 40,00,000 deranged psychotic inmates (of which her target was in the deepest, strongest cell in the basement). Smashing in would likely kill half the inmates and free the rest, which would be really really bad, and give much more gravity to stopping it. Her wanting to get Doug and Brody back is actually just incidental rather than front-and-center because of that. It'd also explain why Libra actually knew what the truck's intended route was and could plan their assault accordingly - Aligula still thought that Doug and Brody were in their cell.

An issue with BBB's adaptation is the writer is really bad about knowing what to cut and what to keep. And now that we've seen what they can pen on their own, it's not saying a lot of good things. A lot of details from the adapted stories are needlessly nixed, while secondary characters exist for no purpose (Patrick).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't really BBB either, littleorv.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The information for Aligula's story is important, because it's never explained beyond "oh no, she's rampaging" in the anime. The whole point of the truck was to get it large enough to ram Pandora Asylum, home to 40,00,000 deranged psychotic inmates (of which her target was in the deepest, strongest cell in the basement). Smashing in would likely kill half the inmates and free the rest, which would be really really bad, and give much more gravity to stopping it. Her wanting to get Doug and Brody back is actually just incidental rather than front-and-center because of that. It'd also explain why Libra actually knew what the truck's intended route was and could plan their assault accordingly - Aligula still thought that Doug and Brody were in their cell.

Yeah I know, but I still don't think you need any of that or the warden fight really. A member of the 13 Kings smashing up town is enough reason to get involved, and it's not hard to say they figured out her route from Chain trailing her. I much prefer the stuff with Leo and Aligula to any of the asylum bits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

Yeah I know, but I still don't think you need any of that or the warden fight really. A member of the 13 Kings smashing up town is enough reason to get involved, and it's not hard to say they figured out her route from Chain trailing her. I much prefer the stuff with Leo and Aligula to any of the asylum bits.

Because it shows how insanely obsessed Aligula actually is with Doug and Brody and just how dangerous she is with an actual plan and a monster of her own making rather than just rocking around Hellsalem's Lot in a big-rear end car-eating truck. All the obscene chaos and untold lives lost her plan will cause count for nothing to her and work to show just to what lengths she'll go to to get to them. The anime version is basically just a crush by comparison aside from her fusing Doug and Brody together.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Killer Queen is a killer (heh) name for a stand imo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i dropped bbb after like 5 episodes because i found it hard to care about anything that happened in it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

i dropped bbb after like 5 episodes because i found it hard to care about anything that happened in it

Yeah. I'm a fan of style over substance but boy that show had literally nothing going for it beyond the action and even the action wasn't that great. It was all so busy and messy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It looked great but a few episodes ago I did that thing where I'm totally going to go back and catch up with it any day now, honest, so it's dropped.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It looked great but a few episodes ago I did that thing where I'm totally going to go back and catch up with it any day now, honest, so it's dropped.

Considering the final episode is suspended indefinitely it looks like nobody is going to finish it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

You're pretty much set for all the completely-good episodes if you're up to Z's Longest Day.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Get your applications in, folks http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-06-29/mtv-posts-casting-call-for-true-life-i-want-to-look-anime/.89872

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Do the 13 kings even exist in the manga? I don't remember that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It sucks so much Splatoon doesn't have an anime but stuff like Winds of Destruction does. Think about it Nintendo! It would be amazing.

Speaking of cartoony shooters, I've been playing Team Fortress 2 muted with Black Keys albums playing. It works surprisingly well despite the differences in tone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What the hell would a Splatoon anime even be about. You just shoot each other and bag points.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

What the hell would a Splatoon anime even be about. You just shoot each other and bag points.

I'm thinking of funny shorts rather than a full series with an intricate plot.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did anyone at all watch the ronja show ghibli did, i didn't even realize it came out till i was updating my mal and saw it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

did anyone at all watch the ronja show ghibli did, i didn't even realize it came out till i was updating my mal and saw it

Since it's Goro Miyazaki I decided to wait and see what I heard after it ended but I think nobody watched it.

Tho tbf it didn't get streamed so it might as well not exist in most people's eyes.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

Sabagebu but with squid kids

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

In Training posted:

That yuri manga, but long.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

:greencube:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

K. Flaps posted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wish somebody would gas the JoJo animeJoJo translation discussion thread

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i wish somebody would gas the JoJo animeJoJo translation discussion thread

I'm gonna take a guess without clicking on it: are they focused on dumb minutiae that doesn't matter instead of actual translation issues?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

I'm gonna take a guess without clicking on it: are they focused on dumb minutiae that doesn't matter instead of actual translation issues?

a few people were saying basically none of the translations (official or otherwise) were good (:jerkbag:) and then it took over. now it is about minutiae.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I miss GG subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm reading part 4 of the Jojo manga and I think the translators did a really good job on it. It's no Duwang though.

• Locked thread