Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lisa foiles is pretty harmless. Her top five show was nothing special but she has decent comedic timing, and some of her lists were rather out there. It's hardly the worst thing the escapist has done as long as game dogs exists. Pretty much the vitriol thrown her way is because "is woman, must therefore use tits for views" is a common viewpoint among bitter grognards like lordkat. From what I saw outside of her top five show, she just seems like a nice person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I did have one problem with Kyle's video: He implied that this is not the greatest work of art in human history

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Zedd posted:

The show was pretty horrible, but not because of the host. (There are just very few top X things worth watching) It did kind of feel like pandering by The Escapist though, but what i've seen of her she wasn't the problem with it at all.

I think you quoted the wrong post.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Do not even ask posted:

I remember being fascinated by the VHS cover of the film when it came out. I was too young to watch it and the only thing "Titus" that I knew about was the TV show with Zack Ward but seeing the dour and muddied face of Hopkins gave me the impression that the movie was likely a weird dark comedy. Glad to see that my uninformed analysis was pretty much spot on to the real thing.

Glad I'm not the only one. It's a rather striking cover.

Not necessarily the part thinking it was a movie-length episode of the sitcom Titus, though.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Todd's got a new video out on Patreon and it's on Dear Future Husband by Megan Trainor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, that Errant Signal video on Sunset led to me finding out that the developer is going under, and that after the game failed, they decided to go on the standard Indie Developer twitter meltdown.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arcsquad12 posted:

So, that Errant Signal video on Sunset led to me finding out that the developer is going under, and that after the game failed, they decided to go on the standard Indie Developer twitter meltdown.

The Path was really the only semi-interesting game they made, honestly. Not that surprising.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I swear, every time I see your avatar, it looks more purple than blue.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I swear, every time I see your avatar, it looks more purple than blue.

I thought it was white and gold :v:

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

It really does seem like they tried to make Standard Artsy Indie Game to try and rake in the commercial success of Gone Home and Dear Ester (even going so far as to hire PR consultants who marketed the game towards a... for lack of a better term, thinkpiece-y audience by emphasizing the black lead character) and totally, utterly failed.

Partially due to a lack of resonance with players and critics, as Campster brings up, but I'd argue it's just as much because that sort of derivative "Me Too!" approach to games development never, ever works. Also because the trend of walking simulators died a horrible death after Gone Home's derivatives ushered in a wave of more mechanically complex art games.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It mostly looks like they spent way too fuckin much making an ultra-niche game expecting it to explode with critics.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Zedd posted:

(There are just very few top X things worth watching)

Could you provide a list? Perhaps define "X", so I know how many there will be. Maybe present them in numerical order?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

lornekates posted:

Could you provide a list? Perhaps define "X", so I know how many there will be. Maybe present them in numerical order?

The only top x worth a drat is getting in my top 8 spaces on myspace.

And as boring as Sunset may or may not be, I'll take a derivative walking simulator over whatever the gently caress they thought Fatale: Exploring Salome was any day of the week. I understand making a subjective experience, but why wrap it in objectively frustrating to play mechanics?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Celery Face posted:

Todd's got a new video out on Patreon and it's on Dear Future Husband by Megan Trainor.

I loving hate this song

I also hate that I'm broke and can't be a Patron right now, but oh well. Todd mentioned on Twitter a few times that he also hates it, so I look forward to seeing what he has to say in more detail when the video is available for all.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Celery Face posted:

First time I heard that was at the dance studio, during another class' warmup. It was a tap class, with mostly elderly ladies, so I assumed it was one of their songs.

Me: Jeez, 50s songs had some really misogynistic lyrics

My wife: {checks phone} that song was released in 2014...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cubey posted:

I loving hate this song

I also hate that I'm broke and can't be a Patron right now, but oh well. Todd mentioned on Twitter a few times that he also hates it, so I look forward to seeing what he has to say in more detail when the video is available for all.

A big thing that he brings up is that, much like with Ariana Grande & Jessie J in Bang-Bang, Meghan just comes across like she doesn't really know what she's talking about.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Puppy Time posted:

I thought it was white and gold :v:

Well played! :golfclap:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Celery Face posted:

I heard that song on the radio. It had a nice melody; sort of like a bubblegum song from the early 1960s, after Little Richard entered the seminary and Elvis was drafted, but before the Beatles arrived. I won't say that era is necessarily underrated for pop music because there was a lot of weak material (and there were circumstances like Payola to consider), but I think it can be unfairly maligned. The horn parts in particular stood out to me; they could be coming straight out of a Coasters song, or something by an uptown doo-wop group from New York City in 1961.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 30, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
SFDebris does Iron Giant in his latest critique and puts the Superman bit as the closer :cry:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lornekates posted:

First time I heard that was at the dance studio, during another class' warmup. It was a tap class, with mostly elderly ladies, so I assumed it was one of their songs.

Me: Jeez, 50s songs had some really misogynistic lyrics

My wife: {checks phone} that song was released in 2014...

Well, to be fair, some 50s songs had some really misogynistic lyrics.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I don't think it's that bad. The melody is upbeat and nice. As for the lyrics, it's not like she's speaking for all women. It's more like she telling us about one of her fantasies which she should have kept to herself. The 'kiss' line is probably the worst of it but bad lyrics are par for the course in today's pop music. Basically, if it comes on the radio, I can safely ignore it. It's all I can ask of bad pop music.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fowl posted:

SFDebris does Iron Giant in his latest critique and puts the Superman bit as the closer :cry:

I was kinda surprised he wasn't into it, you'd think it'd be right up his alley, what with the whole being a fifties sci-fi period piece with considerably more competence than is usually expected of from the genre and a genuine love for that style. But then again, I haven't seen the movie in ages, so maybe it doesn't hold up as well as I remember.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did the animation studio that made the Iron Giant also do Eight Crazy Nights?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Iron Giant is a good movie, but oh-booooy is it overrated. It does a lot of things pretty well, that ET does perfectly.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

IG is better than ET.

E: you may imagine that this means Iron Giant or Iron Galaxy. Brad Bird and Dave Lang are both committed to platforms of excellence.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Iron Giant sits on this weird pedestal for anti-anime fans whenever weeaboo fights break out. It's usually one of the movies called upon to counter the argument that all american animation is for children. Ignoring the fact that, you know, The Iron Giant *is* for children. It's a fine film but it gets hyped to all hell because these guys think that if they don't talk about how it's the most emotional thing they've ever seen, they'll somehow lose internet street cred to the weeaboos they're fighting against.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I watched TIG a lot as a kid, and I always thought it was great, but yeah not the best thing in the world. I'm kind of interested in hearing what he didn't like about it.

The book it was based on was loving batshit. There's a space dragon and mind control...it's terrible.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Calling HBG to disect Iron Giant in a 10,000 word essay that would SMG blush.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula posted:

Calling HBG to disect Iron Giant in a 10,000 word essay that would SMG blush.

It's all about the Cold War.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad that there are plenty of increasingly grumpy, aging people like Todd overanalyzing seemingly harmless crap like pop music lyrics. Fluff like that might seem innocent at first, but it's culture all the same and when culture sticks to you, it never goes away.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dear Future Husband's worst crime is being bad in a completely predictable and tedious way. If it were a genuine expression of wanting to be in an old-school "traditional" marriage, then there's a discussion we can have about gender roles vs. individual agency. But no, as Todd points out, it's just a bunch of clichés from hacky standup routines we've all heard a million times.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
New Best of the Worst is here!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

That intro :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lady Terminator, yes!

Next time they should do Ninja Terminator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLsA_Opybw

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Prehysteria! 2-3. More mini-dinos!
http://phelous.com/2015/06/27/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-prehysteria-2/
http://phelous.com/2015/06/30/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-prehysteria-3/

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Looks like a new set

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lady Terminator, yes!

Next time they should do Ninja Terminator.

I want to see how they react to the Garfield phone.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Someone tried to make Prehysteria vs Demonic Toys vs Puppet Master vs Dollman, I guarantee it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Someone tried to make Prehysteria vs Demonic Toys vs Puppet Master vs Dollman, I guarantee it.

What would that universe be called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

PiedPiper posted:

I want to see how they react to the Garfield phone.

I watched Ninja Terminator so, so many times.

Jaguar Mother loving Wong.

I mean, just imagining how these movies were made.... Buying up half-finished (Taiwanese?) movies that ran out of money, adding in a bunch of completely unrelated scenes with random white guy ninjas, a few ridiculous self-exploding effects... the magic of the baseball fight when the guy just wanted directions...

Everyone in this thread who is a critic of some sort, please. This movie.

• Locked thread