Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

alex314 posted:

I've watched Sword of destiny trailer again, and I don't remember that scene:

I assume it's Avallach because I remember with whom I was cruising near the end of the game. Maybe we'll get an alternative costume DLC, but considering that person's amount of screen time it's barely worth it.

He's right there when you do that part of the game, though Ciri takes centre stage in the actual game with Gerry at the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Swedish Horror posted:

Block when an enemies name flashes in red. That will make you counterattack.

Thank you.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Didn't one of the trailers also have a moment where Geralt wakes up outdoors wearing nothing but his underwear? That part wasn't in the game either (unless I missed it), and was "replaced" by the stuff that happens in Kaer Morhen. Not that I mind as that scene was amazing. Another chance to get properly wasted would have been nice though. :tinsley:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 350 days!
Try vampire hunting in Novigrad - there's one especially finnicky vampire that only drinks the blood of people who are completely smashed. Guess what your plan is to lure it out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think that quest is in Oxenfurt but yeah it's pretty good

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
There's also a small event out somewhere north of Oxenfurt where some bards steal Geralt's clothes after getting him wrecked on vodka, but I'm not sure which of those quests that scene is from.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

There's also a small event out somewhere north of Oxenfurt where some bards steal Geralt's clothes after getting him wrecked on vodka, but I'm not sure which of those quests that scene is from.

It makes you wonder, how did those bards not get alcohol poisoning, if witcher's metabolism can take stuff like decoctions and potions easily. The outcome is great though.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Xarn posted:

It makes you wonder, how did those bards not get alcohol poisoning, if witcher's metabolism can take stuff like decoctions and potions easily. The outcome is great though.

Musicians do drugs like goddamned champions is why, even witchers can't compare.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Slashrat posted:

counter-attacks happen automatically when you start blocking immediately after the enemy starts his/its attack animation, as opposed to just keeping the block button held down all the time.

You can also hold the button down and let go for a second before the attack and geralt will parry. Keeps lunging fuckers and arrows if you have the skill from hitting you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

It is amazingly stupidly good. Combine with Ekhidna decoction for balls-out insane invincibility. Not sure how you're planning to use it with archgriffin because it's not a heavy attack. Try it out with Wyvern Decoction for game-breakulous damage bonuses.
Sorry, wasn't clear at all. Superior Blizzard + Whirl to get to max adrenaline instantly, then Archgriffin and unlimited stamina to finish (if that works)

Can you Rend and use archgriffin at the same time?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah Geralt loses his clothes relatively often in this game. That quest with the bards is hilarious though - as revenge you can strip them both - they continue to talk about art standing in their underwear and one of them reveals a combover under his hat.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

Yeah Geralt loses his clothes relatively often in this game. That quest with the bards is hilarious though - as revenge you can strip them both - they continue to talk about art standing in their underwear and one of them reveals a combover under his hat.

A request was made to make it so that Geralt could then wear their clothes, but it was denied. Enhanced Edition, maybe.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Musicians do drugs like goddamned champions is why, even witchers can't compare.

Next DLC: Musician decoction -- Unlimited toxicity

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I wonder how trolls came to have a retarded toddlers comprehension of English. They certainly didn't live with humans.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I wonder how trolls came to have a retarded toddlers comprehension of English. They certainly didn't live with humans.

trollses mommy teach baby trollses talky good

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
soooo with the haunted house in Novigrad...

I was nice to the female Godling and told her I'd tell Uncle Pennybags the house is permahaunted. IGN informs me that it's a minor ending that I'll later find out she lives happily with the woman she was tormenting in the house now. However, it seems the "better" ending would have been to force her out as she apparently finds the godling boy in the bog. Wouldn't that be a better ending? Sigh.

So with the DLC, does it just auto install or something? the PS4 gives no indication of it, is the idea that I'm supposed to check their media pages to know about it? It seems a tad silly to not advertise it at all in the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

JetsGuy posted:

I was nice to the female Godling and told her I'd tell Uncle Pennybags the house is permahaunted. IGN informs me that it's a minor ending that I'll later find out she lives happily with the woman she was tormenting in the house now. However, it seems the "better" ending would have been to force her out as she apparently finds the godling boy in the bog. Wouldn't that be a better ending? Sigh.

So with the DLC, does it just auto install or something? the PS4 gives no indication of it, is the idea that I'm supposed to check their media pages to know about it? It seems a tad silly to not advertise it at all in the game.

I think the first ending is better to be honest. The Godling you meet in the bog doesn't seem all that upset to be on his own, and later later on you see him interacting with regular people and they seem cool with him (during a close-to-endgame thing). I like the ending of the woman adopting the Godling girl instead. Although, if you get the Redania wins ending, I guess the Godling girl is hosed

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

JetsGuy posted:

You have to purchase and download the DLC, but it's free. As for the spoiler, No, I think both endings sound pretty good, which is an absolute rarity for The Witcher, in which you are given a choice between lovely and hosed Up. Also you shouldn't really be comparing what you did versus what you could have done, just do what feels right and consider that your story.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

On PS4 you can just go to the game's tab in the main menu and hit down on the d-pad or analogue stick and cycle down a bit past the trophies and recent activities log. It'll show you a list with all the add-ons.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have a question on story progression and level. I just hit level 18 and I'm still on level 12 main quests in Novigrad since it seems like there was a lot more exploration to do in Velen. I haven't gone to Skellige yet since it's listed as level 16 and I'm just going in order. Anyway, I still have the level 11 quest Following the Thread since I'm supposed to go to Faroe to find Hammond for that other Witcher I ran into. Should I make my way over Skellige?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

I have a question on story progression and level. I just hit level 18 and I'm still on level 12 main quests in Novigrad since it seems like there was a lot more exploration to do in Velen. I haven't gone to Skellige yet since it's listed as level 16 and I'm just going in order. Anyway, I still have the level 11 quest Following the Thread since I'm supposed to go to Faroe to find Hammond for that other Witcher I ran into. Should I make my way over Skellige?

Yes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's only one point in the game where you can lock yourself out of a bunch of quests at once and the game will pop up a giant warning telling you to manually save at that point.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Is there a guide as to where you should be going for quests that are your level? It seems like they're all over the place. A level 33 quest in one of the first villages outside the prologue, and a level 2 quest in Novigrad, where you won't go until you out level it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Swedish Horror posted:

Is there a guide as to where you should be going for quests that are your level? It seems like they're all over the place. A level 33 quest in one of the first villages outside the prologue, and a level 2 quest in Novigrad, where you won't go until you out level it.

The various "In Ciri's Footsteps" main quests have the approximate level for when you should visit each area. True, there's some variation but the vast majority of the content will scale from those. Velen's sidequests will typically be high single digit/low teens stuff, Novigrad has mid-teens, Skellige has high-teens to low 20s. There will be outliers but they should largely be consistent. There are heavy-hitting monsters in each area that will be way out of place until much later when you're trying to mop up ?s to get superior formula.

If you want to maximize your XP, you should barely be touching the main quests though. Pursuing them will rocket your level up and pretty soon the various witcher contracts and sidequests you've picked up along the way will be in danger of getting grey status.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol if you did any main quests before visiting all the notice boards in the world, including skellige

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol if you did any main quests before visiting all the notice boards in the world, including skellige
I really regret not going to Skellige sooner just to get an ekhidna mutagen for that decoction.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

KingKapalone posted:

I did each area as I came to it, completing all but the very highest level quests in Velen and Novigrad before moving on. This includes the main quests.
Worked fine for me and I was level 35 when I completed the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I didn't read a single notice board during my playthrough :smug:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
been playing this for what feels like forever, i look up how much i've got left only to find out im still in act 1. what in the gently caress.

also question about a deadly plot best bro thaler and best bro broch are planning stuff i want in on, but after finding thaler and getting him out of the rock troll cave the quest ends and nothing seems to happen... does this come up again or am i to leave them to it? because you better believe i want to help broche murder another king who has it coming.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vikar Jerome posted:

been playing this for what feels like forever, i look up how much i've got left only to find out im still in act 1. what in the gently caress.

also question about a deadly plot best bro thaler and best bro broch are planning stuff i want in on, but after finding thaler and getting him out of the rock troll cave the quest ends and nothing seems to happen... does this come up again or am i to leave them to it? because you better believe i want to help broche murder another king who has it coming.

Yeah it comes up way later. Be nice to Dijkstra up until the end though. I think you may get locked out of it if you piss him off too much

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It's the other choice in endgame when you deal with Dijkstra last time in terms of main story. You'll figure out which one.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pik_d posted:

Yeah it comes up way later. Be nice to Dijkstra up until the end though. I think you may get locked out of it if you piss him off too much

yeah You have to be on his side to get a shot at assassinating both him and king radivod

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The fall damage in this game lol... I thought Geralt was a superhuman mutant badass not some chump who loses 1/4 of his health hopping down from a head-height ledge.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

etalian posted:

yeah You have to be on his side to get a shot at assassinating both him and king radivod
Dude even in a spoiler you shouldnt give that away. My jaw dropped when I realized the situation and I would have been sad if I had known that would happen ahead of time because I was reading what I thought was a friendly spoiler.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

The fall damage in this game lol... I thought Geralt was a superhuman mutant badass not some chump who loses 1/4 of his health hopping down from a head-height ledge.

Hold jump while falling.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

GrossMurpel posted:

The problem with monsters is that card advantage is everything in Gwent and you can't change that without making all the factions pretty much the same, as you said for the Scoia'tael.

Well, monsters do have "card advantage" in that they get tons of free cards out of their decks. They just get no interactive cards as part of their card advantage, ever. They also have very little synergy - like the reusable card advantage of decoying a medic three times in one turn. And the fact that you delay your turn by decoying and redeploying your medic means you get the final say in weather effects too. Your opponent will most likely run out if cards before you're finished playing all of yours. That's why I actually really like the starter NK leader. On demand fog is pretty nice to set up a winning board. Plus, you only ever need one fog in your deck and if you have it in your opener it's an instant redraw.

The fact that you don't re-shuffle and get a new hand each round is kind of the culprit. In most cases, a spy has basically no downside. You are probably going to forfeit the first round anyway, so the fact that your spies give your opponent more power is irrelevant. Technically speaking spies SHOULD be basically 0 card advantage. You're using a card (-1) to draw 2 cards (+2) and giving your opponent a dude on the board (-1). You're gambling that the two cards you draw are better than the freebie that you just gave your opponent. Strictly speaking you could argue that both the -1's are the same effect, so it's still +1, but I'd argue that the guy you give your opponent is worth at least half a card.

But when your plan for the first round is to make your opponent spend a couple cards on the first round while you just sandbag, and the AI never reacts properly to this, the spies suddenly go from what they probably should have been to what they are in reality - a way to make your opponent waste turns spending cards he could hold until the later rounds while you load up your hand to utterly destroy him the next two. And if they don't spend turns? Hell I've had the AI pass the first round in me after they saw me just slapping down spies, thinking to hold cards because hey isn't that the smart thing to do? Well, then I got to use a weather effect and 1 card to win the round and STILL have +2 cards on them.

The downside to monster's card advantage is that it's utterly predictable and can be played around. There is no avoiding that downside. Monster's average card power isn't that high and the synergies are also very low. That's why it gets the "vomit cards" ability on everything. It's the only way for mediocre cards to keep up. Your good cards in an NK or Nilf deck are going to have higher average power and/or some sort of synergy with the rest of the cards in your deck.

The same hand for the entire game poo poo really annoys me because it fucks with the game mechanics hard. I can see what they were going for, but it's completely busted by that one design choice.

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008
I've found myself unable to travel to the continent now. I did the an Craite quests and Yen's and now when I try to leave the island I crash to desktop during loading. I previously got around this when it happened after Following the Thread by completing a random side quest and then fast travelling to Novigrad, but this time it's not working. I've done several quests in Skellige.

Am I stuck until the next patch playing cards with islanders?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

EcoBlue posted:

I've found myself unable to travel to the continent now. I did the an Craite quests and Yen's and now when I try to leave the island I crash to desktop during loading. I previously got around this when it happened after Following the Thread by completing a random side quest and then fast travelling to Novigrad, but this time it's not working. I've done several quests in Skellige.

Am I stuck until the next patch playing cards with islanders?

Does it crash before dandelion starts talking? May be a corrupt video file or something.

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
I think the main problem with the ai is just their priority, not enough medics/decoys/spies in their starting hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Melted_Igloo posted:

I think the main problem with the ai is just their priority, not enough medics/decoys/spies in their starting hand.

Even with absolutely nut hands they can still be easily outplayed because they don't react well to the strategy of planning to lose. Closest I ever got to losing was a Nilf deck that had 3 spies, 2 medics, scorch, scorch dragon, decoys, etc. - just a loving loaded hand while I still had at most 2 spies and 1 medic. We went back and forth. He played like 6 spies on me in total the first round before I passed. That was my only saving grace really. I was able to win round 1 off the back of the spies, medic'd them back to regain the upper hand in cards for game 3, which I won cleanly.

And the planning to lose strategy only exists because you retain the same hand of cards from round to round. Otherwise it would make 0 sense to give up a round.