Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Codependent Poster posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Troy Baker and Nolan North sound alike? So it's like I hear one voice all the time in games.

When they're doing their standard voice yes. When I played Bioshock Infinite I just assumed it was North all the way through. However both are better and versatile than they're allowed to be. North is not only the greatest video game character ever (Richard Heck) but he puts in a really impressive performance in Spec-Ops: The Line. He goes from generic Nolan North to someone teetering over to insanity and does it really well. Baker played Pagan Min in Farcry 4 and while I don't like that game all that much he's definitely a highlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

You unlock it after you finish the game.

Weird. Mine shows up in the showcase but I don't have the option to make it the skin that is used. I'm playing on PS4 and I can use the '66 Batmobile no problem. It just says unavailable as far as making it the main skin I guess.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Troy Baker and Nolan North actually have a fair bit of variety. The problem is that they're cast in very similar roles frequently. Troy Baker is asked to play the same role, using the same voice, all the drat time.

Oh yeah, I know. I just confuse them when they both use that same voice.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

You unlock it after you finish the game.

Really? I finished the main story, and it says "UNAVAILABLE" on the screen where you select skins.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

Speaking of which I asked this earlier but what changes in Hush's mission if you wait to complete it until after the story.

I'm assuming the game forces you to rescue Lucius at some point, otherwise he wouldn't be able to send you the new Batmobile after you rescue Oracle. Either that or Alfred does it instead

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's weird. I have it unlocked. Maybe it's something else.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Did you 100% the game? Could that be it?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I think I figured out the entire Arkham storyline from Asylum up to now. The Joker is a figment of Batman's imagination. Batman was actually The Joker the entire time and there is no Batman. The Joker dying represents the death of the series and all the bugs are actually The Joker's imaginary world crumbling around him.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Skeezy posted:

Did you 100% the game? Could that be it?

I also 100%'d the game and still don't have it. It could maybe be locked behind AR challenges or new story +.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I love Rocksteady, but the story in these mainline games just get worse and worse.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

JT Smiley posted:

I love Rocksteady, but the story in these mainline games just get worse and worse.

Nah the story was bad from the beginning. Nothing in this game is worse than the video game plot fluid in Asylum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rocksteady games are a series of strong individual scenes when taken out of context that form a really bad plot when put together in a row. There are a lot of strong individual scenes in Knight but put together they're pretty dumb.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Nah the story was bad from the beginning. Nothing in this game is worse than the video game plot fluid in Asylum.

Joker Aids Not to say Asylum's story was all that great, but I'll take that Titan plot over this any day.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'm only up to the point in the game where you go into the tunnel to try and follow the trail for Oracle's kidnapping. I'm a little disappointed though that at this point I've already figured out who Arkham Knight is, and googled it to confirm I was right. I don't read nor have I read the comics, but it was fairly obvious to me at least. /shrug. I look forward to seeing how they work it in though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

ImpAtom posted:

Rocksteady games are a series of strong individual scenes when taken out of context that form a really bad plot when put together in a row. There are a lot of strong individual scenes in Knight but put together they're pretty dumb.

So, like comics?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DrVenkman posted:

North is not only the greatest video game character ever (Richard Heck) but he puts in a really impressive performance in Spec-Ops: The Line. He goes from generic Nolan North to someone teetering over to insanity and does it really well.

IIRC Nolan North was recruited for these two characters precisely because he's such a reputation as the lucky-go-happy dude protagonist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

I'm only up to the point in the game where you go into the tunnel to try and follow the trail for Oracle's kidnapping. I'm a little disappointed though that at this point I've already figured out who Arkham Knight is, and googled it to confirm I was right. I don't read nor have I read the comics, but it was fairly obvious to me at least. /shrug. I look forward to seeing how they work it in though.

It's perhaps the most predictable plot twist ever and it's really bizarre they tried to pretend it was anything but what it was.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fact that the twist itself is built upon the fact that Bruce is a human being and has the capability to be wrong despite being Batman makes it way less bad than it would be otherwise imo. Also, I don't think it's fair to call it bad if you're one of the people who knew what the twist would be going in because of how it plays out in the relevant comics. Batman cannot possibly have the same information that you, the outside observer, do because he's part of the story and you're not. Some people in this thread have been doing that and I just don't think it's really a fair judgment.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

JT Smiley posted:

Joker Aids Not to say Asylum's story was all that great, but I'll take that Titan plot over this any day.

Joker Aids enables the Joker to poo poo all over every scene in the game. The titan formula gave us this poo poo

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ImpAtom posted:

It's perhaps the most predictable plot twist ever and it's really bizarre they tried to pretend it was anything but what it was.

I mean doesn't the Arkham Knight even call Batman Bruce directly at one point? Even so, hmmm guy who knows everything about Batman, can hack his stupid BatTracy communicator. Mad at Batman for betraying/letting him down. That basically screams "former sidekick". At which point my though process was: "well Robin... and Dick and Tim are already in the game... so Jason Todd, and oh yeah, Jason Todd / Red Hood really likes guns.

The reveal would have been even easier if I had known the story line where Joker kills Jason Todd, Todd gets revived in a Lazarus Pit, goes crazy, and decides he wants Batman dead.

CJacobs posted:

The fact that the twist itself is built upon the fact that Bruce is a human being and has the capability to be wrong despite being Batman makes it way less bad than it would be otherwise imo. Also, I don't think it's fair to call it bad if you're one of the people who knew what the twist would be going in because of how it plays out in the relevant comics. Batman cannot possibly have the same information that you, the outside observer, do because he's part of the story and you're not. Some people in this thread have been doing that and I just don't think it's really a fair judgment.

I personally don't read the comics at all, but I did watch the animated series and of course the Adam West edition. I don't think the game is bad for the reveal / twist being obvious to me, but I am now interested to see how it plays out. Arkham is a fun game so far for me, but I have to admit I'm not nearly as invested in this game as I was other Arkham games.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 30, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I think ti would be fine if they'd not gone all "it's a new character and not the guy you, the audience, totally think it is." The only reason for the Arkham Knight name is to try to hide the most obvious twist from the audience, especially since he promptly transforms into the Red Hood.

Honestly it mostly bugs me because The Red Hood would fit the themes of the game a lot better than the Arkham Knight does, especially since it was a former identity of the Joker.

JetsGuy posted:

I mean doesn't the Arkham Knight even call Batman Bruce directly at one point? Even so, hmmm guy who knows everything about Batman, can hack his stupid BatTracy communicator. Mad at Batman for betraying/letting him down. That basically screams "former sidekick". At which point my though process was: "well Robin... and Dick and Tim are already in the game... so Jason Todd, and oh yeah, Jason Todd / Red Hood really likes guns.

He does but only during the drill fight which is right before his identity is discovered anyway.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ImpAtom posted:

He does but only during the drill fight which is right before his identity is discovered anyway.

Ah ok, I must've been wrong about that then. Definitely not at that point in the game. It still was obvious he wasn't lying about knowing everything about Batman, which again, screams "former sidekick"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CJacobs posted:

I just think it was a bad marketing call. They name the game after him, they plaster him all over the ads, they make him the center of the entire campaign for this game, naturally people are going to try and solve the very flat mystery while they're waiting months for the game to come out. If all we knew of the Knight before release was seeing him like standing behind Scarecrow in a trailer or something, just a little tease here and there, we wouldn't have had months to spoil it all and it might actually work.

Basically marketing is the worst and ruins everything. The game's marketing was detrimental to the story of the game itself. Maybe they were trying to do a misdirect so people would be talking about the Knight as opposed to certain other characters who make an appearance. I dunno. But I think a better ad campaign would have been to focus on the full campaign of "Oh man, it's all of Gotham, and all of Batman's worst enemies are on the loose!", but then that's pretty much exactly Arkham City.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly it mostly bugs me because The Red Hood would fit the themes of the game a lot better than the Arkham Knight does, especially since it was a former identity of the Joker.

The problem with that is that everyone already knows who The Red Hood is, so it wouldn't have been a mystery at all. I mean, if you know anything about Batman it's not a mystery at all, but still.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jason Todd never being a thing outside the comics is what makes the twist work for me.

The average person playing the game probably hasn't kept up with the past decade of comics.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

Jason Todd never being a thing outside the comics is what makes the twist work for me.

The average person playing the game probably hasn't kept up with the past decade of comics.

Or can google.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bumfluff posted:

The problem with that is that everyone already knows who The Red Hood is, so it wouldn't have been a mystery at all. I mean, if you know anything about Batman it's not a mystery at all, but still.

Yeah, but it isn't like this is a mystery at all. If you know who the character is then changing the name doesn't actually fool you. If you don't know who the character is then you're not going to figure it out regardless of what he is named.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, the Movie Studios segment was fantastic and if this game's story wasn't so far up its own rear end I would've actually been somewhat compelled to try and defeat the Scarecrow instead of dicking around Gotham.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

My friend didn't know who Jason Todd was until the studio bit, and he still deduced who the Arkham Knight was before the reveal. It was telegraphed like a motherfucker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Joe Gillian posted:

My friend didn't know about Jason Todd until the studio bit, and he still deduced who the Arkham Knight was before the reveal. It was telegraphed like a motherfucker.

To be fair the studio bit makes it kind of absurdly blatant.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah it's the first time you hear his voice and it's the same loving voice actor, like it's impossible for you to not decipher who it is at that point through just aural recognition.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair the studio bit makes it kind of absurdly blatant.

That's my point. The average person playing with half a brain wouldn't have thought that to be a twist at all, comic knowledge nonwithstanding.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I'm lolling at the fact that they literally JUST mentioned him. Like, why the gently caress was this character not brought up earlier in the game, I am past the halfway point and it is insanity that he was only now just mentioned.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Funky Valentine posted:

I feel like you may wanna spoiler the first part of your post. Not that I give too much of a poo poo about spoilers.

You're right though, 95% of the people playing this game don't read the comics, and a huge portion of them only have a cursory remembrance of the movies/TV series. The fact they went with the knight being Jason Todd is actually kinda cool. It is a good nod to people who know anything about the Universe, but obscure enough that most of hte players would be surprised. It's also a neat way to "re-introduce" a villain who I totally forgot was even in the cartoon

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Would've been better if they'd brought up Jason before now. He's existed since Asylum most likely. You could maybe stretch it to City. Either way, if he'd come up a few times before, it might've preserved the mystery and made the twist better.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That would actually clear up most of my complaints since the character wasn't just established literally this game and wasn't a narrative rear end pull. That being said it still begs the question of why they didn't go with Red Hood, but hey you gotta market a game and need thing to pull people in once in a while and while it is the exact same thing except Arkham Knight looks cooler, I can maybe get over the fact you wasted this cool design on this lovely character.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Structurally, I believe there were no Robins in Asylum. The Jason Todd business must have happened before City, since we had Tim in that one. I recall Joker making a couple offhand references to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Structurally, I believe there were no Robins in Asylum. The Jason Todd business must have happened before City, since we had Tim in that one. I recall Joker making a couple offhand references to it.

There are a couple of references to Robin in Arkham Asylum but they're generic Boy Wonder kind of stuff. He isn't really shown or clarified until City, so it could have been Dick or Tim. The one I remember most distinctively is Joker asking Batman how he punishes his sidekicks with the joke being "isn't that outfit you make them wear punishment enough?"

Jason Todd is only mentioned obliquely with Joker mentioning having killed a Robin and making crowbar jokes as part of his overall commentary IIRC.

Also Robin almost certainly existed before Arkham Asylum because Babs was already Oracle by that point and her having a career as Batgirl before there is any Robin doesn't make sense.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 30, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwLA5k9EHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Red Hood being in the game not withstanding, I do love how Arkham games have little bits of minor characters all over. In Asylum, these were largely only references, but I like how in City you got to fight minor villains and poo poo. Mad Hatter was one of my favorite examples of this. His poo poo in City was fun.

• Locked thread