Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Broniki posted:

Denying agency is very important for you because being acted upon instead of acting is what defines victim status, I am very aware.

So either we are atomic entities incapable of being influenced, or we are incapable of making decisions. I know for a fact that those are not the only two options, so I suspect that you are a liar and a cheat and you smell bad.

Dapper Dan posted:

Those are real women. Video game characters are not.

This is a nonsensical post that suggests sociopathy on your part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Dapper Dan posted:

Media depictions of women are about as real as video game depictions of such, that is, not real at all. That is the problem.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Who What Now posted:

I'm not the only one that sees the racial slur there, right?

Shortening nipponjin is a racial slur? My apologies if it is. I'm not from the United States originally.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ChazTurbo posted:

Shortening nipponjin is a racial slur? My apologies if it is. I'm not from the United States originally.

It's about as in vogue as calling a Chinese person a "chink", but yes. Still, it doesn't make you look good to use it.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Sinnlos posted:

Media depictions of women are about as real as video game depictions of such, that is, not real at all. That is the problem.

Yes, but the photoshopped pictures on the cover of, for example, Cosmopolitan are supposed to fool the viewer into thinking that they are real photographs of real women. Video games, even the ones with a "photorealistic" graphic style, don't even try to do that.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

INH5 posted:

Yes, but the photoshopped pictures on the cover of, for example, Cosmopolitan are supposed to fool the viewer into thinking that they are real photographs of real women. Video games, even the ones with a "photorealistic" graphic style, don't even try to do that.

Cartoony video games women are ruining our girl's self esteem.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I don't know why all these people posting here have such a deficient sense of empathy that they are unable to identify with fictional characters at all, but I wish they'd stop perverting their opinions by association.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

I don't know why all these people posting here have such a deficient sense of empathy that they are unable to identify with fictional characters at all, but I wish they'd stop perverting their opinions by association.

I always felt bad for Wile E. Coyote, personally.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

INH5 posted:

Is this the "there are other problems, so we can't tackle this one" argument applied to the same problem in a different medium?

That's pretty impressive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't know why anyone cared about Reefer Madness because obviously those were fictional people.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I have several shelves displaying figurines of anime and video game women*, many of them titillating in nature. There is multiple layers of objectification here since they are objects (statues) of objects (fictional characters from games). It is unknown how many women I will go on to violate later in life, but the forecast seems grim. This misogynerd is beyond salvation.

*and men and robots but those are irrelevant

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dapper Dan posted:

But it still does have an effect.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile...8f6df000000.pdf

quote:

A content analysis of images of video game characters from top-selling American gaming magazines showed male characters (83%) are more likely than female characters (62%) to be portrayed as aggressive. Female characters are more likely than male characters to be portrayed as sexualized (60% versus 1%), scantily clad (39% versus 8%) and as showing a mix of sex and aggression (39 versus 1%). A survey of teens confirmed that stereotypes of male characters as aggressive and female characters as sexually objectified physical specimens are held even by non- gamers. Studies are discussed in terms of the role media plays in socializing sexism.

Broniki posted:

I have several shelves displaying figurines of anime and video game women*, many of them titillating in nature. There is multiple layers of objectification here since they are objects (statues) of objects (fictional characters from games). It is unknown how many women I will go on to violate later in life, but the forecast seems grim. This misogynerd is beyond salvation.

You don't have to sexually assault a women for media to negatively affect how you perceive women.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 30, 2015

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The depiction of women in places like cosmo or fashion shows is distinctly different from their depiction in absolute fantasy because in those situations, they are undoubtedly being marketed direct to women as something they should aspire to. Nobody is going home and internalizing the fact that they need to become a star quidditch player or start climbing mountains without protective gear because their favorite gaming characters do it. It's another example of people not being willing to distinguish from obvious fantasy and reality to try and make their (scientifically disproven) point that fantasy depictions somehow cause people to do bad things.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

The depiction of women in places like cosmo or fashion shows is distinctly different from their depiction in absolute fantasy because in those situations, they are undoubtedly being marketed direct to women as something they should aspire to. Nobody is going home and internalizing the fact that they need to become a star quidditch player or start climbing mountains without protective gear because their favorite gaming characters do it. It's another example of people not being willing to distinguish from obvious fantasy and reality to try and make their (scientifically disproven) point that fantasy depictions somehow cause people to do bad things.

So in other words, women don't read anything except women's magazines, so it doesn't matter.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

blackguy32 posted:

But it still does have an effect.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile...8f6df000000.pdf

You don't have to sexually assault a women for media to negatively affect how you perceive women.

If only someone would do a longitudinal study on whether these tropes and cliches actually cause changes in attitudes or perceptions.

Oh wait, they did. Turns out they dont:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25844719

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

"Empathy has no place in the logical world of gaming. *strokes neckbeard while staring at giant polygonal tits* Hm, yes."

Edit:

Broniki posted:

Whoops, beaten.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

So in other words, women don't read anything except women's magazines, so it doesn't matter.

No, in other words, people are able to distinguish fantasy from reality and only a mentally ill person would base their entire self-image around that of a fictional character.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

natetimm posted:

Are you serious? People join the military because of Call of Duty.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

blackguy32 posted:

We need to teach the next generation about the dangers of second-hand rape.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

If only someone would do a longitudinal study on whether these tropes and cliches actually cause changes in attitudes or perceptions.

Oh wait, they did. Turns out they dont:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25844719

That's not what your study says. It says that amount of gaming doesn't correlate, nor do genres played. That is perfectly consistent with the idea that games aren't much worse than media as a whole and that sexism is common across genres. That's without going into the tedium of methodology that would inevitably be ignored.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

The Aardvark posted:

Are you serious? People join the military because of Call of Duty.

LMAO people joined to military because they wanted to shoot poo poo long before Call of Duty.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

quote:

Video game characters are icons in youth popular culture, but research on their role in gender socialization is rare. A content analysis of images of video game characters from top-selling American gaming magazines showed male characters (83%) are more likely than female characters (62%) to be portrayed as aggressive. Female characters are more likely than male characters to be portrayed as sexualized (60% versus 1%), scantily clad (39% versus 8%) and as showing a mix of sex and aggression (39 versus 1%). A survey of teens confirmed that stereotypes of male characters as aggressive and female characters as sexually objectified physical specimens are held even by non-gamers.

So, men in popular (note that these are images from "top-selling American gaming magazines") video games are more likely to be violent, women in those same games are more likely to be sexy, and teenagers know that this is the case. Wow, I would never have guessed that, Captain Obvious. Note that the study doesn't actually attempt to measure long term media effects, and other studies that have looked at that have found no effect.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

natetimm posted:

LMAO people joined to military because they wanted to shoot poo poo long before Call of Duty.

There is actually a spike in recruitment numbers just after the release of CoD titles.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

That's not what your study says. It says that amount of gaming doesn't correlate, nor do genres played. That is perfectly consistent with the idea that games aren't much worse than media as a whole and that sexism is common across genres. That's without going into the tedium of methodology that would inevitably be ignored.

There actually shows a slight negative correlation between consuming sexist media and having sexist opinions. It actually blows the bullshit of cultivation theory for fantasy and fiction completely out of the water and this study is the big reason Jonathan McIntosh went from being a tired critic of sexism in games to a tired critic of violence in games.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

No, in other words, people are able to distinguish fantasy from reality and only a mentally ill person would base their entire self-image around that of a fictional character.

In other words, when a highly sexualized outfit is worn on the catwalk, everyone knows that this is actually supposed to be sexy, but when this happens in a film, everyone knows that it's not really sexy. I suspect that the mental illness is not to be found in the idea that people might identify at all with fictional characters in any way.

natetimm posted:

There actually shows a slight negative correlation between consuming sexist media and having sexist opinions. It actually blows the bullshit of cultivation theory for fantasy and fiction completely out of the water and this study is the big reason Jonathan McIntosh went from being a tired critic of sexism in games to a tired critic of violence in games.

Stop using your made-up terms to give legitimacy to your idiotic beliefs in your own invincibility.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

In other words, when a highly sexualized outfit is worn on the catwalk, everyone knows that this is actually supposed to be sexy, but when this happens in a film, everyone knows that it's not really sexy. I suspect that the mental illness is not to be found in the idea that people might identify at all with fictional characters in any way.

Science has literally proven your dumb opinion wrong.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Sinnlos posted:

There is actually a spike in recruitment numbers just after the release of CoD titles.

Do you have a source for that? Because a few minutes of Googling on my end has turned up nothing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

No it hasn't, and I will gladly shoot you multiple times to prove your belief that you are immune to external influences wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

Maybe you can do one better than your snacking buddy and post your work instead of just saying no.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NutritiousSnack posted:

Comic Book Code of Authority and the DnD satanic panic actually killed both of those mediums

The CCA killed off specific genres (crime and horror) because they were becoming a threat to the established money (superheroes). Try again.

edit it's also entirely defunct, literally nobody at all cares anymore and nobody did more than pay lipservice for a long time

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Weirdo posted:

Maybe you can do one better than your snacking buddy and post your work instead of just saying no.

The study is posted on this page. By me.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

The study is posted on this page.

The study does not say what you said it did, either time that you used it. You have not yet successfully proved advertising a waste of money.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just want to mention since last night discussion of Mass Effect's ending came up, with some people saying that fans of other media don't lose their poo poo with petitions and editorials and so on, and that this makes gamers uniquely retarded among entertainment consumers, I want to say film/TV fans actually have lost their poo poo over a controversial ending direction before.

Both the works referenced above are way, way older than Mass Effect. And still talked about.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

INH5 posted:

Do you have a source for that? Because a few minutes of Googling on my end has turned up nothing.

There was an MIT paper on it. I'll try and track it down.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

The study does not say what you said it did, either time that you used it. You have not yet successfully proved advertising a waste of money.

Negative correlation between consumption of sexual content and having sexist opinions. Advertising is trying to sell you something that actually exists.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This does not need to directly lead to the hate-murder of female babies to be bad.

I'm not saying if you're looking at this and don't immediately want to burn your bra and/or Square Enix' headquarters to the ground, you're a misogynist shitlord and deserve to be publically shamed on Twitter and/or possibly send to the reeducation camp for immediate castration. And nobody's asking for censorship here, or taking your Fun away.

I'm saying, come on. Look at this. Just look. This is bullshit.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

Negative correlation between consumption of sexual content and having sexist opinions. Advertising is trying to sell you something that actually exists.

That has very little to do with what you were responding to, actually.

Furthermore, the statistical significance was so low they didn't even put it in the abstract. I guess that's due to feminist gynocracy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

natetimm posted:

There are people in this very thread and the previous who can't.

See: Everyone claiming Anita hates women because she takes issue with fictional depictions of women.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Craptacular! posted:

Just want to mention since last night discussion of Mass Effect's ending came up, with some people saying that fans of other media don't lose their poo poo with petitions and editorials and so on, and that this makes gamers uniquely retarded among entertainment consumers, I want to say film/TV fans actually have lost their poo poo over a controversial ending direction before.

Both the works referenced above are way, way older than Mass Effect. And still talked about.

You could have cited How I Met Your Mother but it doesn't change the fact that no one petitioned the studios to release an alternate cut of the ending like people did with Bioware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Craptacular! posted:

You have the best post on this thread since you back up your claim and for someone that is on the side of nerds. Your not a creep.

• Locked thread