Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Effectronica posted:

In other words, when a highly sexualized outfit is worn on the catwalk, everyone knows that this is actually supposed to be sexy, but when this happens in a film, everyone knows that it's not really sexy. I suspect that the mental illness is not to be found in the idea that people might identify at all with fictional characters in any way.

I thought we were talking about body image, not sexy clothes? For the record, the outfits seen at fashion shows often aren't particularly sexualized, and in fact the whole reason that fashion models are thin is because the fashion designers, who are overwhelmingly women and gay men, want people to focus their attention on the clothes they design instead of the people wearing them. So yes, it is very different in intent from sexy video game women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Ddraig posted:

There are people in this very thread and the previous who can't.

See: Everyone claiming Anita hates women because she takes issue with fictional depictions of women.

Anita is a talking head that reads what McIntosh tells her to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Snood
Jul 5, 2006

I WILL SHOOT YOU AND I KNOW ROBOT KARATE

ChazTurbo posted:

Shortening nipponjin is a racial slur? My apologies if it is. I'm not from the United States originally.

the correct term is nihon-jin

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Cingulate posted:

This does not need to directly lead to the hate-murder of female babies to be bad.

I'm not saying if you're looking at this and don't immediately want to burn your bra and/or Square Enix' headquarters to the ground, you're a misogynist shitlord and deserve to be publically shamed on Twitter and/or possibly send to the reeducation camp for immediate castration. And nobody's asking for censorship here, or taking your Fun away.

I'm saying, come on. Look at this. Just look. This is bullshit.

I hate sexy women in my Japanese boy band games too.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Cingulate posted:

This does not need to directly lead to the hate-murder of female babies to be bad.

I'm not saying if you're looking at this and don't immediately want to burn your bra and/or Square Enix' headquarters to the ground, you're a misogynist shitlord and deserve to be publically shamed on Twitter and/or possibly send to the reeducation camp for immediate castration. And nobody's asking for censorship here, or taking your Fun away.

I'm saying, come on. Look at this. Just look. This is bullshit.

Isn't this more of a Japanese culture thing than an American one? I'm pretty sure they have entirely different views on sex and the depiction of women over there.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

Negative correlation between consumption of sexual content and having sexist opinions. Advertising is trying to sell you something that actually exists.

Did you get past the paywall? My Uni does not have the full article on record, and the link only shows the abstract with no obvious link to the full article.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

computer parts posted:

You could have cited How I Met Your Mother but it doesn't change the fact that no one petitioned the studios to release an alternate cut of the ending like people did with Bioware.

It happens.

The game consumer just happens to be a lot more internet-savvy, generally. A wide majority of TV consumers think Facebook is the internet, just as they used to think AOL was the internet.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

INH5 posted:

I thought we were talking about body image, not sexy clothes? For the record, the outfits seen at fashion shows often aren't particularly sexualized, and in fact the whole reason that fashion models are thin is because the fashion designers, who are overwhelmingly women and gay men, want people to focus their attention on the clothes they design instead of the people wearing them. So yes, it is very different in intent from sexy video game women.

We are talking about sexism generally. I was using that as an example, because the point is that what we think of as "sexy" is continuously created by all media, rather than being split neatly into "factz" that do so and "fantasy" that we are immune to.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

INH5 posted:

So, men in popular (note that these are images from "top-selling American gaming magazines") video games are more likely to be violent, women in those same games are more likely to be sexy, and teenagers know that this is the case. Wow, I would never have guessed that, Captain Obvious. Note that the study doesn't actually attempt to measure long term media effects, and other studies that have looked at that have found no effect.

You seem awfully upset about me pointing out research. I mean at least I am bringing something to the table. Also, people keep bringing up that abstract without actually going in depth to what the article actually is saying.

http://kotaku.com/what-to-make-of-a-study-about-gaming-and-sexism-1698543308

quote:

“Some people seem to think that this is proof that sexism is not an issue in games and gaming culture, which is something that we neither found, nor say (nor examined, really) in our study.”

The researchers would go on to tell me that they think sexism in gaming is still a potential problem in terms of excluding female gamers, influencing thoughts about body image and other factors. They also suggested that people might overestimate the impact that games have on people while underestimating the impact that gamers may have on each other.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

Just want to mention since last night discussion of Mass Effect's ending came up, with some people saying that fans of other media don't lose their poo poo with petitions and editorials and so on, and that this makes gamers uniquely retarded among entertainment consumers, I want to say film/TV fans actually have lost their poo poo over a controversial ending direction before.

Both the works referenced above are way, way older than Mass Effect. And still talked about.

Debating the ending of the Sopranos is far different from petitioning bioware to release an alternate ending.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Weirdo posted:

Did you get past the paywall? My Uni does not have the full article on record, and the link only shows the abstract with no obvious link to the full article.

It was printed completely a while back during GG and passed around. I want to say I read the whole thing at this link at one time, because i have it bookmarked. Anyway, it's pretty interesting if you can find the whole thing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

INH5 posted:

Yes, which is why all models have horrible acne and awful teeth. Models aren't selected for their physical features at all and we definitely do not have several whole shows to selecting models based on beauty standards.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

It was printed completely a while back during GG and passed around. I want to say I read the whole thing at this link at one time, because i have it bookmarked. Anyway, it's pretty interesting if you can find the whole thing.

You do know that is theft don't you? Or at least the same as any copyright violation.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

blackguy32 posted:

You seem awfully upset about me pointing out research. I mean at least I am bringing something to the table. Also, people keep bringing up that abstract without actually going in depth to what the article actually is saying.

http://kotaku.com/what-to-make-of-a-study-about-gaming-and-sexism-1698543308

Unironically quoting Kotaku in a way that directly contradicts the study itself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

natetimm posted:

Anita is a talking head that reads what McIntosh tells her to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Why do you think this? It is a legitimate question. Don't you think Anita has some control over what she is saying?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

natetimm posted:

Isn't this more of a Japanese culture thing than an American one? I'm pretty sure they have entirely different views on sex and the depiction of women over there.
I think as a feminist, your privilege is you're allowed to be angry at other cultures (if they're sexist, but, haha, turns out they all are). I know, the coolest privilege, and white guys don't get it!?

ChazTurbo posted:

I hate sexy women in my Japanese boy band games too.
Hate is such a strong word.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Craptacular! posted:

It happens.

The game consumer just happens to be a lot more internet-savvy, generally. A wide majority of TV consumers think Facebook is the internet, just as they used to think AOL was the internet.

Again, HIMYM ticks similar (age) demographics to video games and no one petitioned them for an alternate ending.

They just said "yeah we wasted most of a decade on this, that sucks".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

natetimm posted:

Unironically quoting Kotaku in a way that directly contradicts the study itself.

It is better than what you are bringing to the table, which is nothing. You could actually read the article and see that even the authors of the study themselves are saying that the study isn't saying what people think it is saying.

http://blog.rkowert.com/sexist-games--sexist-gamers/#more

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

You're a paranoid lunatic and have not shown any reasons why we should assume that anything posted on the website "Kotaku" is lies.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

I think as a feminist, your privilege is you're allowed to be angry at other cultures (if they're sexist, but, haha, turns out they all are). I know, the coolest privilege, and white guys don't get it!?
Hate is such a strong word.

Literally ":qq:Won't someone please think of the white men?!:qq:" This is simply a thing of beauty.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

natetimm posted:

pretty much.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

Again, HIMYM ticks similar (age) demographics to video games and no one petitioned them for an alternate ending.

It's also easier to change a ending of a game then a ending of a live tv show. Hardest part is voice acting. But it's easier then live actors.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

blackguy32 posted:

Why do you think this? It is a legitimate question. Don't you think Anita has some control over what she is saying?

There are multiple tweets that are word for word copied from his past accounts (spelling errors included) that ended up on femfreqs account presented as Anita saying it. He moves back and forth between the two accounts during his rants, and one time accidentally called someone a misogynist for disagreeing with him on his own account instead of the femfreq one. If you follow the two accounts at all, it's completely obvious he's jerking the strings.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

blackguy32 posted:

It is better than what you are bringing to the table, which is nothing. You could actually read the article and see that even the authors of the study themselves are saying that the study isn't saying what people think it is saying.

http://blog.rkowert.com/sexist-games--sexist-gamers/#more

Actually, that's what hack bloggers are saying to protect their narrative.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cyron posted:

It's also easier to change a ending of a game then a ending of a live tv show. Hardest part is voice acting. But it's easier then live actors.

They're pretty similar now that everything is voice acted.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Yes, which is why all models have horrible acne and awful teeth. Models aren't selected for their physical features at all and we definitely do not have several whole shows to selecting models based on beauty standards.

Horrible acne and awful teeth would distract from the clothes in a different way. I'm not just speculating here, multiple fashion designers have said as much.

quote:

During a debate on body image, held a few years ago in the midst of all the ‘size zero’ press, designer Roland Mouret told a packed lecture theatre at the London College Of Fashion that he preferred his ladies with a bit of meat on them. The designs he creates flatter women of all shapes and sizes but he found that his clothes didn’t hang as intended on models who were simply skin and bones. However, one of the most interesting points he made was that women with shape and curves can look too sexy for the catwalk, drawing attention away from the clothes. It was one of the arguments for many designers choosing super-skinny, uniform models as they were to be little more than clothes horses, displaying the designer’s art in the same way that galleries often hang fine art prints on blank walls.

http://liquorsandlace.tumblr.com/post/2926550095/fashion-notes-style-at-mugler-during-a-debate

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

"Hack bloggers" interviewed the actual author of the article you posted, as opposed to stealing it :crossarms:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

That's one of the researchers who did the study you wave about like it's Old Glory. Guess she's another puppet of some idiot on twitter.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

INH5 posted:

Horrible acne and awful teeth would distract from the clothes in a different way. I'm not just speculating here, multiple fashion designers have said as much.

http://liquorsandlace.tumblr.com/post/2926550095/fashion-notes-style-at-mugler-during-a-debate
... are you implying that at least this form of sexism results less from personal hatred of women, and more from capitalism being inherently poo poo?
I'm kind of okay with this.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

computer parts posted:

I don't know what your point is. TV has a very different type of industry coverage. Mass Effect rage also didn't get New York Times stories and a segment on the nightly news the way that Sopranos rage did. Coverage surrounding video games largely lives online.

I don't watch HIMYM. I don't have any opinion on it, I just know that the ending of The Sopranos created so much mainstream ink of people wanting "a real resolution" that David Chase made a firm No Comment and then disappeared for a good long while.

EDIT: The ending for Seinfeld was also garbage, but didn't generate the kind of reaction that either Mass Effect or Sopranos did. It's probably more telling that audiences for comedies are just sort of willing to go with it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

natetimm posted:

I linked to one of the author's actual blogs who actually links to that Kotaku article.

natetimm posted:

There are multiple tweets that are word for word copied from his past accounts (spelling errors included) that ended up on femfreqs account presented as Anita saying it. He moves back and forth between the two accounts during his rants, and one time accidentally called someone a misogynist for disagreeing with him on his own account instead of the femfreq one. If you follow the two accounts at all, it's completely obvious he's jerking the strings.

Ok, I can understand where you are coming from, but do you think he is controlling everything that she is saying?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

That's one of the researchers who did the study you wave about like it's Old Glory. Guess she's another puppet of some idiot on twitter.

It doesn't surprise me that people would waffle and present opinions as "possible" that directly conflict with their data, especially when interviewed by notorious witch-hunt click bait websites.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

Oh right i forgot studios love to cgi everything now.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

computer parts posted:

It's still significantly easier because visiting a recording studio is a lot easier than setting up a film shoot. There's a reason why in Film School they tell aspiring directors to always shoot at least one scene where the protagonist is talking on the phone with his/her back to the camera.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know what your point is. TV has a very different type of industry coverage.

That is my point.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

blackguy32 posted:

I linked to one of the author's actual blogs who actually links to that Kotaku article.

Ok, I can understand where you are coming from, but do you think he is controlling everything that she is saying?

I wish she would dump him and go it alone so we could actually parse what her opinions are, because at this point all she's ever done is Q&A sessions with people who lobbed her softballs and nodded her head at McIntosh's scripts and read them out loud for the camera.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

natetimm posted:

It doesn't surprise me that people would waffle and present opinions as "possible" that directly conflict with their data, especially when interviewed by notorious witch-hunt click bait websites.

That's her personal blog. And please stop agreeing with my insults. I say that you believe in a feminist conspiracy that is actually controlled by one man on twitter who I will never, ever give a drat about, and you agree enthusiastically. If I call you a pedophile, will you start talking about how age-of-consent laws are bullshit?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

computer parts posted:

That is my point.

But are you arguing that the video game consumer is somehow 'more retarded' (or autistic or whatever your favorite put-down for "obsessed with this to the point that it scares normal people"?) Because I don't think anything proved that. The venues for which people complain about TV and movies leaving them unsatisfied has a much larger 'reach' than a change.org opinion spread on NeoGAF and then linked once on Kotaku.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, judging by the actions and words of its supporters I'm starting to think this Gamergate is not actually about ethics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

natetimm posted:

Scientists will hedge every claim under the sun, that's how scientists talk.

And really: are you actually arguing that media doesn't have any impact on people's attitudes (unless they are incapable of distinguishing fantasy from reality)?

We already know that violent pornography impacts men's attitudes towards women. Why wouldn't other media impact men's attitudes towards women, too? Is it just that video games are somehow immune from this impact? Why would video games be immune from this?

• Locked thread