Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I just came from a Moto G, and I can't recommend it to anyone really even as a budget phone. I've vented about it in here before, but basically what it comes down to is that the phone has "only" 1GB of RAM. That wouldn't be a problem, except Motorola totally hosed up the memory management on the phone and it's literally impossible to do simple things like use Navigation while playing music at the same time. It'll constantly kick the music out of memory after a few minutes (if you're lucky and it doesn't do it instantaneously).

I mean I've had other phones with 1GB of RAM that could do navigation+music fine, and the Moto G even did this when it had 4.4 so I know it's something on Moto's end. I ditched it for a Galaxy s4 again, couldn't be happier etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've seen you say this multiple times, but both one of my friends and my mom has a Moto G and hasn't experienced any of those problems.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hell, I have it with the 2014 Moto X, which has 2 GB of RAM!

I'm hoping the 5.1 update that's applying now will fix this problem.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

I've seen you say this multiple times, but both one of my friends and my mom has a Moto G and hasn't experienced any of those problems.

Eh, it's all over the Motorola forums and such. It's a real thing.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I just got the 5.1 update on my 2014 Moto X, and so far so good. There is one hilarious new "addition" though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Require More Fire posted:

So I just got the 5.1 update on my 2014 Moto X, and so far so good. There is one hilarious new "addition" though.

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-hide-annoying-network-name-moto-x

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Guess what's not available on the Verizon build. Also the carrier name has always been in the status bar since 5.0 rolled out, 5.1 adds a 2nd occurence of it at the bottom and it overlaps the animated unlock ring.

It's really minor but it's one of those things where you wonder why any manpower was dedicated to this at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's only if it's persistent. It only shows up on the lock screen.

I question why anyone who has a moto device even sees the lock screen honestly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

Is this actually annoying you? It shows up on my N6 on stock too and I couldn't care less.

e: oh, just saw that link posted, it's showing up everywhere (not just the lock screen) in the status bar? Yeah that's bad/not cool.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 20, 2018

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
2015 Moto G renders leak along with some supposed specs. Snapdragon 410 and 1GB of ram. I really wish the earlier leaks of Snapdragon 615 and 2GB of RAM were accurate. 1GB of RAM really limiting in 2015.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: oh, just saw that link posted, it's showing up everywhere (not just the lock screen) in the status bar? Yeah that's bad/not cool.

No, it doesn't show up everywhere. It's just the lock screen.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

bull3964 posted:

That's only if it's persistent. It only shows up on the lock screen.

I question why anyone who has a moto device even sees the lock screen honestly.

For a variety of reasons, including that I don't like Moto Camera and Moto won't let you link the twist-gesture to whatever you like, so I have to go to the lockscreen to get to the camera quick-launch.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's always been in the status bar, that's not new (and it goes away once you unlock). What's new is them slapping a 2nd Verizon banner on the bottom of the phone almost over the lock icon. As I said it's a minor, it's just a "really, Verizon?" moment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Personally, I think it's just a goof with a code merge since that's where it was in Kit Kat.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Personally, I think it's just a goof with a code merge since that's where it was in Kit Kat.

Yeah exactly, it's not that big of a deal, will likely get fixed, and isn't the carrier's fault.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

So I am "supposed" to use moto display if I can use this ambient display setting?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Moto's implementation is better, I think.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moto's active display is still superior to the stock implementation as far as I'm concerned.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Moto can't seriously release a new midlevel phone in mid-2015 with 1gb ram, can they?

:psyduck:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FistEnergy posted:

Moto can't seriously release a new phone in mid-2015 with 1gb ram, can they?

Android OEMs keep ripping off Apple.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

kri kri posted:

So I am "supposed" to use moto display if I can use this ambient display setting?

moto display uses their low power cpu and wakes up via gesture

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

Moto can't seriously release a new midlevel phone in mid-2015 with 1gb ram, can they?

Why not? Google released a flagship tablet in 2014 with only 2 gb of RAM when every other flagship device moved on to 3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Full rollout of Lollipop to the turbo will begin tomorrow.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/30/verizon-droid-turbo-lollipop-update-goes-live-tomorrow/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

With such a short soak test it seems like all they could test was that it didn't brick people's phones upon install.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

kri kri posted:

Ambient display doesn't use any of motos special hardware sooooo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

With such a short soak test it seems like all they could test was that it didn't brick people's phones upon install.

That's essentially all they are coupled with a means to capture feedback to put into future updates.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

My wife has a Galaxy S6. When she first got it we setup voice/hangouts for voicemail and everything was fine. A couple days ago Sprint pushed an update that once again forced their lovely voicemail app as the default, but now I cannot find anywhere to switch the default vm provider back to Google voice. Did they really just lock our vm into their lovely service?

I keep telling my wife an extra 20 month is worth getting away from Sprint fuckery but she just has to stay on this poo poo provider making GBS threads yellow NASCAR squirts all over her phone each update.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Turnquiet posted:

My wife has a Galaxy S6. When she first got it we setup voice/hangouts for voicemail and everything was fine. A couple days ago Sprint pushed an update that once again forced their lovely voicemail app as the default, but now I cannot find anywhere to switch the default vm provider back to Google voice. Did they really just lock our vm into their lovely service?

I keep telling my wife an extra 20 month is worth getting away from Sprint fuckery but she just has to stay on this poo poo provider making GBS threads yellow NASCAR squirts all over her phone each update.

It's in the dialer settings if you have Nexus. Not sure on S6.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there a way to get Firefox to ignore the fact that I've got physical buttons and un-hide the menu icon?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sigh, I knew the loss of "Silent" mode was coming but it sure didn't make it any less annoying when it happened.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Turnquiet posted:

You have to have the Google Voice app installed.

Open the Phone app, tap Menu>Settings>Call>Voicemail>Setup

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, I'm calling bullshit. I don't know what's the deal with the Turbo that causes these Android News sites to make up stuff about it.

We'll certainly see. :allears:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Sigh, I knew the loss of "Silent" mode was coming but it sure didn't make it any less annoying when it happened.

Exactly my thoughts after using it since last night.

Hace posted:

Ambient display doesn't use any of motos special hardware sooooo
Thanks - I am back to using moto display.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Rexxed posted:

I'd consider getting an mhl cable and hook it up to HDMI monitor if the digitizer is still working:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-Adapter-integrated-Charging/dp/B00ESM3Q7K/

If the digitizer isn't working you might need a USB OTG cable to plug in a mouse also, although I don't know if the phone will do both mhl and usb otg at the same time, I'm sure there's information about it online.

This one apparently does MHL and OTG at the same time and seems compatible with the S3, but there may be others that are cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/WEme-Multimedia-Charging-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00OJX6DY6/

Does anyone else experience a drastic framerate drop when plugging in a TV? My S4 (VZW, Cyanogen) and Note 10.1 2014 (Wifi, 'Wiz) halve the framerate when I hook up a TV. I've heard of people using phones as emulation devices once they're out of date, but at half the framerate there's really no point.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

bull3964 posted:

What's your beef with it? I love priority mode because I can finally silence all sounds except the ringer at night. I had to use multiple tasker profiles to accomplish that pre-lollipop.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What's your beef with it? I love priority mode because I can finally silence all sounds except the ringer at night. I had to use multiple tasker profiles to accomplish that pre-lollipop.

Unless I'm misreading, he would rather be able to silence everything in one go?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

Unless I'm misreading, he would rather be able to silence everything in one go?

You can still do that? Hit "none" instead of "priority" and everything is silenced.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I want my wrist to buzz with my Moto 360 while my phone does nothing. That's currently impossible.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I want my wrist to buzz with my Moto 360 while my phone does nothing. That's currently impossible.

You can mute phone notifications while connected to a wear watch in the settings in the android wear app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Skywalker OG posted:

You can mute phone notifications while connected to a wear watch in the settings in the android wear app.

That almost works, but I don't always wear the watch at home so I would either have to turn it off when I take it off or toggle that setting back and forth. I would much rather them have a toggle that lets your watch ignore the priority mode of the phone. That would give me desired behavior.