Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

ufarn posted:

The teaser for the new Snowden movie is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL2y6SLdIGk

With Oliver Stone directing, I probably won't be watching it.

The teaser didn't show any footage, so I'm hoping against hope that Nicholas Cage is playing Snowden and not JGL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Job Truniht posted:

Probably not. But even if a country was in NATO this probably wouldn't happen. That's what the article says.

Shut up.

That's why the article is bugshit wrong, you realize that right?

I wasn't even talking to you, whiner.

ufarn posted:

The teaser for the new Snowden movie is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL2y6SLdIGk

With Oliver Stone directing, I probably won't be watching it.

So the plot will be the CIA shooting your internet privacy from the grassy knoll?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nintendo Kid posted:

So the plot will be the CIA shooting your internet privacy from the grassy knoll?

None because that's just what THEY want you to believe

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

chitoryu12 posted:

Unfortunately. But I love how soon all of these effectively "anti-conservative" rulings are being made in such a short time period.

Ten Commandments monument being torn up a few days after gay marriage? You know at least one guy is gonna try and shoot himself over this.

I honestly figured a right-wing extremist would have suicide bombed a DMV by now. Don't pin your hopes on these people.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

I know what that meant. You know what that meant. That was definitely directed at me. We both know that you did that on purpose. Now shut up.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Job Trunhit has been gearing up for a fantastic meltdown and fishmech is just the madman to push him over the edge

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Can't Stone just make a sequel to Natural Born Killers instead?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Never! It is definitive and told all the story that needed to be told. Like Casablanca.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Safe to say everyone including all the posters in this thread are running.

Kasich announces on the 21st.
I will not be announcing my candidacy for the Democratic nomination until at least 2036.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

He already did: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1175491/

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Click this link and watch the video right now, I swear to god you won't regret it. It is Ted Cruz doing Simpsons impressions for buzzfeed

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cruz for the love of god please become a Simpsons VA and stop your campaign.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 30, 2015

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Butterfingers Moses strikes again.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Five commandments!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Morrow posted:

Five commandments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I48hr8HhDv0

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Well at least he knows he's ugly as gently caress

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oh my god I found something that both Ted Cruz and myself believe.

That he has a face for radio

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
And Ted Cruz joins the ranks of "people who wouldn't be nearly as odious if they hadn't gone into politics" with Newt Gingrich.

If Cruz had just done voice acting instead and Newt Gingrich had become a zookeeper, this world would be a better place.

vvv I'm ashamed to admit I laughed when I saw the Youtube link.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 30, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Accretionist posted:

I honestly figured a right-wing extremist would have suicide bombed a DMV by now. Don't pin your hopes on these people.

The kind of people crazy enough for that have never stepped foot in the illegal maritime courts known as "DMVs" as they are a free boat on the land. Also they tend to shoot cops at traffic stops and usually themselves get shot shortly after.

Job Truniht posted:

I know what that meant. You know what that meant. That was definitely directed at me. We both know that you did that on purpose. Now shut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j13oJajXx0M

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Job Truniht posted:

It really probably wasn't.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
To clarify something about the 10 commandments monument in OK, the statue was destroyed by someone several months ago and was planned to be re-erected. I'm guessing this ruling will prevent. I have to imagine that people will see this as another attack on Christianity and will probably attempt an appeal, though I doubt that would go anywhere.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Nativity In Black posted:

To clarify something about the 10 commandments monument in OK, the statue was destroyed by someone several months ago and was planned to be re-erected. I'm guessing this ruling will prevent. I have to imagine that people will see this as another attack on Christianity and will probably attempt an appeal, though I doubt that would go anywhere.

A replacement was actually erected back in January, so this is what it looks like now.

(Yes, there's an oil derrick on the grounds of the Oklahoma Capitol.)
Apologies for any confusion by putting the photo of the old, busted memorial with the link.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kro-Bar posted:

Oklahoma's Supreme Court--in a 7-2 ruling--has found that the 10 Commandments' monument on the grounds of the State Capitol violate the Oklahoma Constitution and must be removed.

edit: There has already been so much wailing and gnashing of teeth in Oklahoma in the past week or so--this is really going to drive people into a frenzy. :getin:

How are we doing on tearing down all the monuments in Washington D.C.?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I hereby nominate Fried Chicken for Republican Presidential Candidate and wish to file a motion to pre-emptively impeach. Only Fried Chicken can reverse these disastrous policy, throw the bum out!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Kro-Bar posted:

A replacement was actually erected back in January, so this is what it looks like now.

(Yes, there's an oil derrick on the grounds of the Oklahoma Capitol.)
Apologies for any confusion by putting the photo of the old, busted memorial with the link.

It wasn't just you causing the confusion. NewsOK seems to have included pictures from every story ever published about the statue.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Communist Zombie posted:

The issue was, iirc, that one of the major parties in PR boycotted the election by submitting blank ballots, and if you include the blank ballots then no option in Q2 got over 50%. And I think they specifically left Q2 blank while answering Q1.

Yep, this was it. The PPD (which is one of the big two parties on the island, and has traditionally held a pro-Commonwealth stance) told its constituents to submit blank votes on the second question, and enough of the final tally ended up being blank that, if one assumes they are all anti-statehood, statehood lost. Apparently there were also some concerns about the wording on the ballots being misleading/unclear.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I thought the monkeys had been eradicated recently by a hunting program. I remember PETA being up in arms over it, and that it had been considered a success. I'm both amused (because monkeys) and disappointed (because crops and disease) by this monkey business.

I vaguely remember hearing something about that, but I would say that the program was announced, maybe a few people did end up shooting some monkeys, and PETA got mad, but overall the monkeys are still around. I certainly don't remember hearing anything about their eradication, but I am a bit out of the loop on that, fwiw.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would forgive all Puerto Rico debt in exchange of full ownership of everything in the island then sell it for cheap to a corporation. The first real corporate country state.

Maybe we should just let the monkeys take over administration. The usual political parties failed us over the last 60 years, maybe it's time we try something unorthodox.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So hey while you all are focusing on NATO and Eastern Europe, remember that in the last few months

1) the state-run Chinese newspaper ran a headline declaring that "War is Inevitable" (may 26th)

2) the new generation of Chinese officers, including new generals have never seen combat and are upset by that, and lamented the "peace disease" of current Chinese leaders pursuing commercial rather than martial dominance (December last year)

3) in a poll 70% of the Chinese population think they could win a war with America (April)

4) Chinese ships and aircraft have been buzzing their American counterparts since August of last year, provocative actions to say the least.

5) Chinese hackers have been running up and down US defense networks wearing hobnailed boots for years and have stolen all sorts of critical and classified data, which has been steadily incorporated into their military (eg stuff we still can't get right on the F-35 is up, running, and leaving us in the dust on the J-31, next generation drone technologies popping up on their prototypes)

So have a nice day

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Maybe we should just let the monkeys take over administration. The usual political parties failed us over the last 60 years, maybe it's time we try something unorthodox.

Give it to the dinoflagellates, they're the best thing on the (sea near the) island anyway.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I refuse to believe even a knockoff F-35 can be effective.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

So hey while you all are focusing on NATO and Eastern Europe, remember that in the last few months

1) the state-run Chinese newspaper ran a headline declaring that "War is Inevitable" (may 26th)

2) the new generation of Chinese officers, including new generals have never seen combat and are upset by that, and lamented the "peace disease" of current Chinese leaders pursuing commercial rather than martial dominance (December last year)

3) in a poll 70% of the Chinese population think they could win a war with America (April)

4) Chinese ships and aircraft have been buzzing their American counterparts since August of last year, provocative actions to say the least.

5) Chinese hackers have been running up and down US defense networks wearing hobnailed boots for years and have stolen all sorts of critical and classified data, which has been steadily incorporated into their military (eg stuff we still can't get right on the F-35 is up, running, and leaving us in the dust on the J-31, next generation drone technologies popping up on their prototypes)

So have a nice day

The counterpoint is that it won't happen.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Fried Chicken posted:

So have a nice day

Why, though

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Justus posted:

I hereby nominate Fried Chicken for Republican Presidential Candidate and wish to file a motion to pre-emptively impeach. Only Fried Chicken can reverse these disastrous policy, throw the bum out!

Don't hand me a network of killer robots, secret prisons, special forces, ubiquitous surveillance, and a nearly complete DARPA power armor program and expect me not to go full Doctor Doom with them.

I mean yeah, I'll probably spend most of my time going after the people you don't like, so you get the satisfaction of pure spite. But I'll definitely go down in the history books as a super villain. Cape and all.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Re: Russia, Ukraine, the Baltics, and WW3: I mostly agreed with the Vox article's points, including the one about WWI (the comparison was about the deterioration of the dynamics that previously preserved peace, which absolutely applies). However, I'm of the opinion and the hope that Putin has been threatening and posturing around the Baltics as an additional escalation option in the case of the US moving toward support of Ukrainian armed forces. Part of that hope is likely wishful thinking, not least because I'm pretty sure that the US would stand by NATO and I don't want to die in a nuclear fireball. This treaty brinksmanship is another shade of WWI, being eerily reminiscent of WWI Germany's view on Britain's treaty with Belgium: Germany considered it a minor issue not worth war, while Britain considered it essential to their entire network of alliances holding their empire together - not unlike the US today. I've felt the pre-WWI comparison months before this article came along. Nothing is inevitable, but the situation is disturbing - not least because I don't think the trigger rests in the hands of my own politicians, who I can theoretically influence. I think the trigger rests with Putin and whether or not he pushes the NATO line.

I also can't blame Russia for including tactical nuclear weapons in their war planning - back when NATO's conventional forces were expected to be swept into the sea by the conventional USSR military, NATO war plans relied upon tactical nukes to make up the difference. Calling it "de-escalation" is ridiculously wrong, but the use of tacnukes is completely logical in the face of a believed existential threat with superior conventional military power.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 30, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I refuse to believe even a knockoff F-35 can be effective.

If it has a gun that can actually fire it is already beating the real F-35

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fried Chicken posted:

Don't hand me a network of killer robots, secret prisons, special forces, ubiquitous surveillance, and a nearly complete DARPA power armor program and expect me not to go full Doctor Doom with them.

I mean yeah, I'll probably spend most of my time going after the people you don't like, so you get the satisfaction of pure spite. But I'll definitely go down in the history books as a super villain. Cape and all.

I see you've committed not just to running but winning, with this sort of talk you're gonna go straight to the top. It's a message that will, I think, really resonate with the voting public.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fried Chicken posted:

So have a nice day

Of all the things you do not want to give the American military, a conventional war where they are not the aggressor is at the top of that loving list.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fried Chicken posted:

If it has a gun that can actually fire it is already beating the real F-35

:911:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fried Chicken posted:

NO CAPES!!!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Crain posted:

Of all the things you do not want to give the American military, a conventional war where they are not the aggressor is at the top of that loving list.

What do China and America even try to have a conventional war about? Attacking the mainlands in either direction is obviously a non-starter, so is there even anything within either of our spheres of influence that the other would care enough to fight a war over?

The closest I can imagine is Taiwan but if we let Putin gobble up the Crimea I don't really see us going to a full-out war with China over a small island that is across the planet from us and a few miles off the coast for them.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Voyager I posted:

What do China and America even try to have a conventional war about? Attacking the mainlands in either direction is obviously a non-starter, so is there even anything within either of our spheres of influence that the other would care enough to fight a war over?

The only way America gets involved in a war with China is if they finally attack Japan.

• Locked thread