Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kingturnip posted:

My Mongol Jain Empire of Britannia was just crusaded.
Sadly for the catholic idiots, the Pope led the charge at the first battle.

As it happens, it was also the only battle of the crusade.

81 years old and he tried to lead the battle? That is impressive, in a way. Not smart, but impressive.

Groogy posted:

Actually we have a beta who can manage to conquer the entire world in like a couple of years. 3-8 years or something depending on the Rng.

I am immensely curious as to how this is possible.

Edit: Hm, I wonder what happens after someone is banished. If the leader who banished them is overthrown, could they possibly return? Will they be able to try to raise armies to reclaim the lost lands? It seems like it might be interesting.

Actually, what happens if you're captured, then banished, and your heir takes over? Do you immediately take control of the heir, or do you just lose, or what?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Elias_Maluco posted:

I would like to see a video of this, please

Ive done "almost world conquer" (almost because when you are stronger then everybody by a large margin it becomes too boring and I drop) several times, but never in less then 200-300 years (never used "NK mode" either).

He didn't do NK mode either but he has played the game since before its was released. A lot of balancing has been done thanks to him, if you know Peter Ebbesen for EU franchise, he is that for CK2.

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
Trying for the "Empire of the Sun" achievement by cheesing it as Abbasid's. I switched faiths and reformed and then got an immediate game over because I was controlling a theocracy. How do I not have that happen?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Hm, I wonder what happens after someone is banished. If the leader who banished them is overthrown, could they possibly return? Will they be able to try to raise armies to reclaim the lost lands? It seems like it might be interesting.

That already happens, if Im not mistaken. Im pretty sure I had some banished kinsman return as adventurers.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Elias_Maluco posted:

That already happens, if Im not mistaken. Im pretty sure I had some banished kinsman return as adventurers.

If you banish someone with a claim there's nothing stopping them from raising adventurers from wherever they land to come back after you, yeah.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sexy mouse posted:

Trying for the "Empire of the Sun" achievement by cheesing it as Abbasid's. I switched faiths and reformed and then got an immediate game over because I was controlling a theocracy. How do I not have that happen?

Wait for the next patch, because reforming non-norse right now will randomly give you a game over from inheriting a theocracy.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think I had a banished kinsmen come back as an adventurer, declare war on me, get banished again, and then become an adventurer and declare war on me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Groogy posted:

Actually we have a beta who can manage to conquer the entire world in like a couple of years. 3-8 years or something depending on the Rng.

How? You wouldn't even be able to siege all the provinces in 3-8 years.

Not calling you a liar just wow is all.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Moridin920 posted:

It's always the people that are super angry about 'cheating' but then have zero issues with exploiting the gently caress out of a game to make it trivial because 'still working within the confines of the rules technically :shepface:'

Exploits are also bad and should be fixed hth

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The only cheating I do is to use the console to give kingdom titles to vassal republics and theocracies because I dont think it makes any sense that we cant do it :colbert:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

StashAugustine posted:

Exploits are also bad and should be fixed hth

I think you'll find I didn't say they shouldn't be. Just that many people who really hate console use see no problem with exploit use.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Moridin920 posted:

How? You wouldn't even be able to siege all the provinces in 3-8 years.

Not calling you a liar just wow is all.

Because of how CK2 war system work, you don't need to.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Groogy posted:

I don't really get this. Having to wait 4+ years sieging down provinces cause battle warscore is so low is easily the worst part about CK2 for me, has it been tweaked in Horse Lords?

Also, autem censeo console-userem esse delendam

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I don't really get this. Having to wait 4+ years sieging down provinces cause battle warscore is so low is easily the worst part about CK2 for me, has it been tweaked in Horse Lords?

I think how much warscore you get for battles in comparison to sieges depends on what CB you're using. Like if your CB is for pressing specific claims on counties then you kind of need to siege those counties down in order to win, but if you're using one of the more generalized CBs like Invasion you can get pretty much all of the score you need from fighting.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

cock hero flux posted:

I think how much warscore you get for battles in comparison to sieges depends on what CB you're using. Like if your CB is for pressing specific claims on counties then you kind of need to siege those counties down in order to win, but if you're using one of the more generalized CBs like Invasion you can get pretty much all of the score you need from fighting.

I am sure that they are all the same. Invasion CB requires an occupation just like county claims.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Didn't they add a hard limit on how early wars could be won? Something like 3 years minimum?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nah you can end a war immediately if you capture the enemy war leader. Sometimes I get a war declared on me I know I'm going to lose badly so I'll take my best troops and beeline for the stack their leader is commanding to try and force the war to an end.

Groogy posted:

Depends on the CB I guess. The only thing I can think of is using a horde and using an Invasion CB over and over to take whole kingdoms and beelining for their capitals and smashing their armies.

Kind of situational in that you can only do it with certain starts/cultures though.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 30, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Will the patch include some kind of "culture = realm name" modifier? "Uyghur" painted across the map makes me think of it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 30, 2015

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Maybe the quick conquest is using something like the Spy On mechanic to imprison the war target? I didn't think it was that fast of a plot though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Didn't they add a hard limit on how early wars could be won? Something like 3 years minimum?

It's 3 years before you can win a war without "fighting a major battle", if I remember right, but if you're winning all your wars through battles or capturing rulers/heirs then that time limit won't matter.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Just read the 9 minute WC game here
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-conquer-the-world-in-9-years.785567/

Basically you start as a Karling and depose yourself until you inherit everything and then become an Altaic Pagan to invade/subjugate everyone ever.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Groogy posted:

Guy should do an lp

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SeaTard posted:

Maybe the quick conquest is using something like the Spy On mechanic to imprison the war target? I didn't think it was that fast of a plot though.

The Spy On thing can only be used on people in your court.

E: I know because Spy On loving rules, especially if you're a republic.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there gonna be a Tannu Tuva acheivement?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

kingturnip posted:

My Mongol Jain Empire of Britannia was just crusaded.
Sadly for the catholic idiots, the Pope led the charge at the first battle.

As it happens, it was also the only battle of the crusade.

Are you using the More Realistic Battles mod? I installed that and like it but the one annoying thing about it is that 75% of the time a Crusade is called it quickly ends with the Pope storming into battle with like 4000 dudes like a retard before the rest of Christendom has time to assemble, losing badly and getting captured. Now I actually save and reload without that mod whenever a crusade is called (for some reason this doesn't happen nearly as often with jihads, I guess caliphs aren't quite as :downs: as popes? Or because caliphs usually have gigantic armies of their own whereas popes have a small personal army and rely on holy orders and Catholic kings/emperors to provide guys with pointy sticks, I guess.)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are you using the More Realistic Battles mod? I installed that and like it but the one annoying thing about it is that 75% of the time a Crusade is called it quickly ends with the Pope storming into battle with like 4000 dudes like a retard before the rest of Christendom has time to assemble, losing badly and getting captured. Now I actually save and reload without that mod whenever a crusade is called (for some reason this doesn't happen nearly as often with jihads, I guess caliphs aren't quite as :downs: as popes?)

It's probably more that Caliphs tend to have way, way bigger armies than Popes so they don't tend to lose many battles they're personally leading.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Swear to god I :ninja: edited that post because I saw yours, Cheshire. Yes, that's probably what it is.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Also, since Caliphs are basically secular rulers who ALSO run a religion (and also Muslim inheritance is kinda of a thunderdome compared to Papal elections), they'll tend to have much better Martial than popes so if you stick one in front of an army they won't be quite as much of a liability.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

There's no fuckin' way you were ever doing world conquest in 25 years even when game came out sorry. I've been playing since release and you're just talking nonsense.

I mean its old, and I've posted it in this thread before, but here's a guy doing it in 9 years, post RoI

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-break-ck2-for-world-conquest.776096/

There was one ~25 years starting as nantes I believe

edit: oh whoops the short version was already posted on this page!

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 1, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBlackRoija posted:

I mean its old, and I've posted it in this thread before, but here's a guy doing it in 9 years, post RoI

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-break-ck2-for-world-conquest.776096/

There was one ~25 years starting as nantes I believe

edit: oh whoops the short version was already posted on this page!

Well again yeah if you start with the Golden Horde or literally half of Europe as a Karling who inherits the other countries then it isn't very hard. And what he is doing could arguably be called taking advantage of exploits :shrug:

I mean yeah it's cool but it definitely takes advantage of game quirks and a very good starting situation. If you're doing a trick to ensure someone gets imprisoned though why not just 'imprison 541618' at that point? At some point he illustrates how to abuse a mechanic for infinite piety. And effectively infinite prestige.

And then he uses the inheritance fuckery and the prestige/piety exploits to become a pagan with most of Europe already conquered and free tribal invasion CBs. Don't get me wrong it is an interesting read but it's hardly a fair example of how Paradox nerfs perfectly legit play strategies. Whining about how the banish change wrecks your favorite play style (which abuses exploits) while at the same time saying using the console is for retards is lol as gently caress.

I'm talking about starting as a regular chump in Ireland or whatever. No way you're doing a world conquest in 25 years and it isn't a reasonable thing to expect.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 1, 2015

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
From a page ago, but a follow-up:

SeaTard posted:

The immediate clause on the global flag means that it can only happen once, regardless if you hit accept or not. That said, the global flag has an owner scope set for some reason, so it might not be set properly. I've never tried setting a global flag under an owner scope, so if it doesn't work right you could have that event fire once for every ruler.

If that flag is supposed to prevent it ever firing again, I don't think it's working. I've been testing, and was able to fill up a county's slots with castles using that event, just by having each successive ruler take the rulership focus.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I'm pretty new to this game. My grandson and heir is the king of Castille and he declares war on his brother, the king of Leon. I'd like to have a bigger kingdom when I die, so I join him as an ally. Suddenly, he dies of leprosy and his brother becomes my heir. Now I'm allied with a kid at war with my own heir. Is there anything I can do to get out of this war or switch sides? The "Offer to join King Julian the Fat" button is greyed out.

I already pulled my troops out but now I'm sitting here watching my future kingdom burn. Some holdings were even occupied by me.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

I really REALLY hate how the regency works!
Before my character died, I managed to set up a good matrilineal betrothal and after he died, his 3 year old kid took over the realm. Years later my character's daughter was ready for the marriage, except the regent decided that "Nope, I hate that guy, so that betrothal deal your father set up is off", and I can't do a drat thing about it.

Groogy, could you guys give the regent the "Will honor the betrothal +++++" opinion or something?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

jwalrus posted:

If that flag is supposed to prevent it ever firing again, I don't think it's working. I've been testing, and was able to fill up a county's slots with castles using that event, just by having each successive ruler take the rulership focus.

The entire point of a global flag is to set something game wide, which based upon that event trigger is supposed to only allow a single castle to be built, ever. If it's allowing you to build multiple ones, then putting the owner {} scope in there is what is preventing it from working properly.

Which is a good thing tbh, it should be one per province or ruler, not a single one ever.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So I'm getting back to playing after quite a long hiatus and I'm doing some ironman games to pick up achievements, because why not.

So, it seems to me that somehow infidelity has rapidly increased in the base-game. Like, I haven't married anyone who stayed faithful. It's weird.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rejected Fate posted:

So I'm getting back to playing after quite a long hiatus and I'm doing some ironman games to pick up achievements, because why not.

So, it seems to me that somehow infidelity has rapidly increased in the base-game. Like, I haven't married anyone who stayed faithful. It's weird.

Did you play after Way of Life?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Did you play after Way of Life?

Nooope, I guess the seduction aim does that? Huh. It certainly makes things interesting.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
So I presed my father-in-law's claim to the Kingdom of Navarre and won. He became King, with his daughter (my wife) as his primary heir. He died, and I got the message that she became Queen of Navarre, but when I went to look the Kingdom title had been destroyed and my wife had no title whatsoever. What gives? Did the AI really destroy the title immediately upon succeeding to it, or did I stumble on some edge-case where inheritance wasn't possible?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I don't think you can hold Duke/King/Emperor titles if you don't have any County level titles to physically exist. That's one of the few ways you can destroy titles without actually doing so yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Well again yeah if you start with the Golden Horde or literally half of Europe as a Karling who inherits the other countries then it isn't very hard. And what he is doing could arguably be called taking advantage of exploits :shrug:

I mean yeah it's cool but it definitely takes advantage of game quirks and a very good starting situation. If you're doing a trick to ensure someone gets imprisoned though why not just 'imprison 541618' at that point? At some point he illustrates how to abuse a mechanic for infinite piety. And effectively infinite prestige.

And then he uses the inheritance fuckery and the prestige/piety exploits to become a pagan with most of Europe already conquered and free tribal invasion CBs. Don't get me wrong it is an interesting read but it's hardly a fair example of how Paradox nerfs perfectly legit play strategies. Whining about how the banish change wrecks your favorite play style (which abuses exploits) while at the same time saying using the console is for retards is lol as gently caress.

I'm talking about starting as a regular chump in Ireland or whatever. No way you're doing a world conquest in 25 years and it isn't a reasonable thing to expect.

Yeah it's exploity, I was just pointing it out because your post kind of implied it wasn't possible. There was definitely a Nantes start that did it in 25 years or less, and that's a single county count start that was entirely conquest based, plenty of exploits but none to just inherit half the map.

I agree that telling people they are playing the game wrong for using the console is dumb, but telling people they are playing the game wrong for using exploits or because they like nk or whatever is just as dumb.
What other people do in their single player doesn't bother me for some reason.

• Locked thread