Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

CapitalistPig posted:

So which blue magic can I just not get if I don't have control?

Dragonatrix posted:

None. Some might be harder or require you to wait 'til later, but there are no Blue spells that have mandatory !Control.

To elaborate, any confused monster will randomly use abilities on their Control list. Mind you, their AI will also treat the PCs as "friendly" and monsters as "hostile", so some effects may require a bit of finesse to grab. Thus this is not terribly useful for things like Level 3 Flare (from Red Dragons) unless you have Reflect, but it is useful for White Wind (Enchanted Fans) or Mighty Guard.

fruitpunch posted:

Any advice for Atomos with my Ranger/Dancer/Dancer/Dragoon party?
Come into the fight prepared to burn him down, and start with one person dead/everyone else not at full health. That way he'll not use Comet until you revive the dead character, at which point either he'll kill someone with Comet or you can beat him to the punch. Rapid Fire will be very helpful for you here. (And of course don't let Atomos actually suck up a dead character.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Kyrosiris posted:

Other than hopefully having Rapid Fire already, uh... get in cahoots with a religious deity of some sort?

Grind out rapid fire it is then!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

As long as you revive characters right before Atomos sucks them in, you should have enough time to deplete his HP with just about every party. You don't need Rapid Fire for this, especially since Sword Dance and Jump will do decent damage on their own.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

As long as you revive characters right before Atomos sucks them in, you should have enough time to deplete his HP with just about every party. You don't need Rapid Fire for this, especially since Sword Dance and Jump will do decent damage on their own.

If things are really desperate, you can start off the battle looking for that 25% chance of getting Sword Dance, but I otherwise wouldn't recommend trying to go that route since the other dances are abysmal in damage output.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I had to do this battle twice because Shinryu doesn't have a boss death animation. :downs: Still, getting Darkness to stick is incredibly easy with the Dark Bow and Rapid Fire, so Shinryu became a joke once that stuck and I used my Wonder Wand for Berserk.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Now!

This is it!

Take your chance!

Destroy Exdeath!

...okay right but first I'm going to go save

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Never not gonna be salty about Shield Dragons in the sealed castle. Especially with a Knight (and hence Brave Blade and not wanting to !Smoke out with my ninja)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Your fault for being silly and using the Brave Blade, especially with a Ninja. :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Honestly, it's my first time through this game and after having nothing but knife users and monks the entire game, the chicken knife is silly good. Overkill even with sword dance at 9999 damage 50% of the time.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Kyrosiris posted:

Your fault for being silly and using the Brave Blade, especially with a Ninja. :v:

It's the best weapon I've got even WITH Excalibur :ohdear:

EDIT: And Excalibur is on my Knight. I just gave my Mystic Knight Equip Swords since he can't use Dual Wield yet.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Classtoise posted:

It's the best weapon I've got even WITH Excalibur :ohdear:

fully charged brave blade does less damage than a fully charged chicken knife because knives get two stats playing into them. only reason it's worse damage overall is the flee proc so if you've got a way around that you're a killer

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This is great. :v: Second job is summoner. Nuke country, here I come.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Man, Beastmaster really chumps Byblos. Sand Bear did 2,200~ and the whip kept him paralyzed for most of the rest of the fight.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'll never insult chaos again, it gave me three of the six jobs I've never had before. Only Monk, Thief, and Ranger to go.

Very excited for my Blue Mage/Time Mage/Ninja/Geomancer party.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, Team Highly Damaging Paper Bag (Thief/MKnight/Ninja/Dancer) got NED down to the last part (the one on the left) and he cast Meteor to kill three of them and immediately followed with a Vacuum Wave to kill the fourth. It's pretty much a one-hit kill no matter what for the Ninja and the Dancer, and any spell will kill the Thief in the back row or the MKnight (though the Aegis Shield helps occasionally). I think I was super lucky to even get that far; do I just need to get some more HP? They're all level 32-33, is that low? I can get him down to two parts with a Magic Lamp Odin and a Break Blade, but if that last part is just going to Meteor me whenever he feels like it, I don't think this is going to work.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fungah! posted:

fully charged brave blade does less damage than a fully charged chicken knife because knives get two stats playing into them. only reason it's worse damage overall is the flee proc so if you've got a way around that you're a killer

Which he does, baked into Ninja (by equipping a Twin Lance in the mainhand, Chicken Knife in the off). Hell, you can even give the Ninja Spellblade and watch a Flare Blade Chicken Knife do its unholy work (227 attack power that quarters defense and gets double the multipliers? yes please).

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Which he does, baked into Ninja (by equipping a Twin Lance in the mainhand, Chicken Knife in the off). Hell, you can even give the Ninja Spellblade and watch a Flare Blade Chicken Knife do its unholy work (227 attack power that quarters defense and gets double the multipliers? yes please).

yeah just didn't feel like typing that part out lol. flare blade chicken knife is so dumb and twin lance chicken knife is insane

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also kyro can you take out the bit in the gdoc that says to get the brave blade with a knight? it's just flat out wrong

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

And that's the triple crown.

Overall this group had a slow burn. Once I got access to blue magic, my characters were extraordinarily resilient, but barring limited things like breaking rods the damage output took a while to get going before I was able to use devastating kill spells/Rapid Fire on a regular basis. Thief was...gimmicky but never not useful, with its ability to run everywhere/avoid back attacks/steal all kinds of things/not have a terrible Strength. Blue Mage was the tits and I will miss it in my next run. Bard was slow to put up buffs and usually became yet another vessel for blue magic, but during the late game I could toss up Sing on two characters and laugh at how much damage my characters were doing. And of course Ranger brings along Rapid Fire and a collection of useful bows. (As with the previous run, Rapid Fire was my primary source of damage, though in this case it was buffed Rapid Fire to the tune of ~20K when I got tired of waiting for the buffs to go up more.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

also kyro can you take out the bit in the gdoc that says to get the brave blade with a knight? it's just flat out wrong

Sadly that is not my document to control. :( The person who made it is a goon, though, and they do update it each year so maybe they'll see this request?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Fungah! posted:

literally the very first thing in the document posted:

If you have anything you want to add, tweet at @heartcatchr

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok i'll tweet them then, don't get pissy

hiRa
Oct 5, 2006
^_^

Fungah! posted:

got any phoenix downs? you could try doing the cover trick against him once he buffs (keep everyone at low hp and use guard over and over with knight. you'll take no damage from physical hits which is most of his rotation). the only issue is gale cut and aera but if you can burn him down with everyone else before you get murdered you should be fine

I don't have a lot of Phoenix downs, 3 I believe I can confirm tonight when I get home. But the issue is after he buffs himself he one shots someone with jump. I have between 500-750 hp max and his jump does 1100 or so. After buffs he hits so fast and so hard. Roughly 200-250 a hit and I'm healing for 50 per potion. Someone said earlier he has 6.5k hp, I have no way to verify that but based on my attempts I do between 5500-6000 on some good attempts, so I'm pretty close just gotta get lucky and grind it out more. I've taken about 30 attempts or so. Which sucks since I'm playing on psx I have no save state so I have to start from the start of the bridge.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hiRa posted:

I don't have a lot of Phoenix downs, 3 I believe I can confirm tonight when I get home. But the issue is after he buffs himself he one shots someone with jump. I have between 500-750 hp max and his jump does 1100 or so. After buffs he hits so fast and so hard. Roughly 200-250 a hit and I'm healing for 50 per potion. Someone said earlier he has 6.5k hp, I have no way to verify that but based on my attempts I do between 5500-6000 on some good attempts, so I'm pretty close just gotta get lucky and grind it out more. I've taken about 30 attempts or so. Which sucks since I'm playing on psx I have no save state so I have to start from the start of the bridge.

right but guard makes all physical damage 0, that should include jump. if everyone other than your knight's at critical hp he'll automatically cover them, which means they'll take 0 from jump. the downside's that if he does a non-physical attack (aera or gale cut) everyone's going to eat it

also how is jump hitting so hard. are you like not wearing armor at all

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The Jump that Gilgamesh uses is actually the Enemy Magic Jump, not a physical attack - it's a 105 magic power magical attack that checks against defense but is reduced by Shell. :v:

Before defense it's going to do 420 damage.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

The Jump that Gilgamesh uses is actually the Enemy Magic Jump, not a physical attack - it's a 105 magic power magical attack that checks against defense but is reduced by Shell. :v:

Before defense it's going to do 420 damage.

huh, didn't realize it counted as magical damage. interesting. no idea how it's doing 1100 damage then

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'd say "if he fed Gilgamesh level boosts...", but you don't have any Dragon Fangs or Holy Waters by that point, so... :iiam:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hrm I want to get good gear but Phoenix Tower kicks my rear end! I think I've only ever done it with at least two Ribbons equipped, it's a nightmare otherwise unless I'm missing some obvious status protection (Thief, Berserker, Ninja, Samurai). Got the Genji stuff.

Maybe I should rather buy Hermes Sandals and Rings, but I only have 200k, maybe looking at another 100k because I haven't sold much yet (might want to throw those weapons!). I'd have loved to farm Hermes Sandals, which would give me Gil, Job Levels (I want to have Zeninage on all people for Omniscient) and maybe even a stolen Ring or two. But not if every encounter requires Zeninage and then a lot of Stone/Toad/Mini healing. And I can't run!

Or I get a few other things done first. But what? Fork Tower is the big gate, and for that I need (after a previous tip) Mage Masher + Zeninage, which could work right now but as I want to get Hermes Sandals anyway...I dunno. Any advice?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd say "if he fed Gilgamesh level boosts...", but you don't have any Dragon Fangs or Holy Waters by that point, so... :iiam:

even then he's only got knight/mk/geo/dancer, he's got no way to bump gilgamesh

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

OzFactor posted:

Okay, Team Highly Damaging Paper Bag (Thief/MKnight/Ninja/Dancer) got NED down to the last part (the one on the left) and he cast Meteor to kill three of them and immediately followed with a Vacuum Wave to kill the fourth. It's pretty much a one-hit kill no matter what for the Ninja and the Dancer, and any spell will kill the Thief in the back row or the MKnight (though the Aegis Shield helps occasionally). I think I was super lucky to even get that far; do I just need to get some more HP? They're all level 32-33, is that low? I can get him down to two parts with a Magic Lamp Odin and a Break Blade, but if that last part is just going to Meteor me whenever he feels like it, I don't think this is going to work.

The last part will always go nuts like that, so you should try to wear down the last two parts evenly or save one of the instantly killable parts for last.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That team really doesn't need anything out of the Trench or Falls, so I'd do Solitary Island Shrine for another weapon for the Ninja (Sasuke's Katana/Twin Lance is a good pair, assuming you have the Thief pulling Chicken Knife Mug duty), just buy the drat shoes, and peace off into the Rift. That team has enough oomph that the only real roadblock will be like... Necrophobe (assuming you properly kill your Berserker for Twintania). Stock up on consumables and roll out.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Phoenix Tower monsters will only throw around loads of status effects if you attack them with the Fight command. Otherwise they will use such things only sparingly, so Mug should be sufficient to deal with most of your problems.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Spikey posted:

The last part will always go nuts like that, so you should try to wear down the last two parts evenly or save one of the instantly killable parts for last.

Okay... so... I have to leave the Almagest part alive, and I can't survive a single Almagest. Levels, then?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Okay... so... I have to leave the Almagest part alive, and I can't survive a single Almagest. Levels, then?

keep the magic part alive instead maybe or try to kill the GC and phys attack parts at about the same time

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Use Odin as usual, and Break Blade the Almagest part. Then wear down the other two with physical attacks, Grand Cross will be a pain but with four people alive and no Almagest to deal with it shouldn't wreck you too bad. Make sure you get them low enough that you can kill both in one attack each. I think the Grand Cross part has 55k HP and the physical attacking part 50k.

e: Beaten a couple times.

hiRa
Oct 5, 2006
^_^

Kyrosiris posted:

Let me rephrase that. Right after his buffs if he jumps his first one is 1100~ after that they are in the upper 300-400 range. Unless it's a glitch with the anthologies version, I can count on a one shot if he jumps in the first turn or two of being buffer. I can give the guard trick a try tonight and see how it works.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Gilgamesh can't even use Jump before the 2500 HP threshold, though?

This is his whole AI routine before the buff sequence:

code:
Fight
{Fight,Goblin Punch,Critical}
{Fight,Aera,Fight}
{Fight,Wind Slash,Critical}
Are you perhaps mistaking Jump with Goblin Punch? He's level 28, so if you are also level 28 (how the hell :psyduck:), he will do 8x damage to you with it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kyrosiris posted:

Actually, Protect does work against Gilgamesh's Jump attack. Here's the relevant part from the Algorithm guide.

quote:

ATTACK TYPE (HEX: 0A) (Physical Attack: ATTACK TYPE (HEX: 0A) (Physical Attack: Jump (enemy magic), Gungnir,
Chocobo Kick, Fat Chocobo, Branch Arrow, Branch Spear)
1) Follow Hit Determination for Physical Magic Attacks Steps (6.2.3).
2) Use Physical Magic Damage Parameters (6.4.4):
Attack = Spell Attack + (0..(Spell Attack/8))
M = (Level*Magic Power)/256 + 4
Defense = Defense
3) Apply Target Status Effect modifiers to Defense and M (physical) (6.5.11).
4) Damage = (Attack - Defense) * M. Max Damage = 9999., Gungnir,
Chocobo Kick, Fat Chocobo, Branch Arrow, Branch Spear)
1) Follow Hit Determination for Physical Magic Attacks Steps (6.2.3).
2) Use Physical Magic Damage Parameters (6.4.4):
Attack = Spell Attack + (0..(Spell Attack/8))
M = (Level*Magic Power)/256 + 4
Defense = Defense
3) Apply Target Status Effect modifiers to Defense and M (physical) (6.5.11).
4) Damage = (Attack - Defense) * M. Max Damage = 9999.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Actually, Protect does work against Gilgamesh's Jump attack. Here's the relevant part from the Algorithm guide.

Yeah, I know what the Algorithms Guide says, but I've had Protect layered before and it does gently caress all but Shell neatly halves the damage (Shell accessed via Chemist). GBA oddity, maybe? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hiRa posted:

Let me rephrase that. Right after his buffs if he jumps his first one is 1100~ after that they are in the upper 300-400 range. Unless it's a glitch with the anthologies version, I can count on a one shot if he jumps in the first turn or two of being buffer. I can give the guard trick a try tonight and see how it works.

it won't, kyro's right, jump's magic damage. guard only defends against physical damage. no idea why that first jump's hitting so hard, must be a glitch. i think you might have to get some more hp

• Locked thread