Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Voyager I posted:

What do China and America even try to have a conventional war about? Attacking the mainlands in either direction is obviously a non-starter, so is there even anything within either of our spheres of influence that the other would care enough to fight a war over?

Sinking their entire navy and then lobbing metal slugs over the horizon via railgun at various inland military targets until they agree to knock it the hell off.

Edit: Also yes, Japan would be the catalyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Fried Chicken posted:

So hey while you all are focusing on NATO and Eastern Europe, remember that in the last few months

1) the state-run Chinese newspaper ran a headline declaring that "War is Inevitable" (may 26th)

2) the new generation of Chinese officers, including new generals have never seen combat and are upset by that, and lamented the "peace disease" of current Chinese leaders pursuing commercial rather than martial dominance (December last year)

3) in a poll 70% of the Chinese population think they could win a war with America (April)

4) Chinese ships and aircraft have been buzzing their American counterparts since August of last year, provocative actions to say the least.

5) Chinese hackers have been running up and down US defense networks wearing hobnailed boots for years and have stolen all sorts of critical and classified data, which has been steadily incorporated into their military (eg stuff we still can't get right on the F-35 is up, running, and leaving us in the dust on the J-31, next generation drone technologies popping up on their prototypes)

So have a nice day

Right. I'd like to hope the fact that China owns a lot of our money and the fact that they won't get it if they blow us up would discourage them from doing that. Also the fact that we buy a lot manufactured goods from them.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

So hey while you all are focusing on NATO and Eastern Europe, remember that in the last few months

1) the state-run Chinese newspaper ran a headline declaring that "War is Inevitable" (may 26th)

2) the new generation of Chinese officers, including new generals have never seen combat and are upset by that, and lamented the "peace disease" of current Chinese leaders pursuing commercial rather than martial dominance (December last year)

3) in a poll 70% of the Chinese population think they could win a war with America (April)

4) Chinese ships and aircraft have been buzzing their American counterparts since August of last year, provocative actions to say the least.

5) Chinese hackers have been running up and down US defense networks wearing hobnailed boots for years and have stolen all sorts of critical and classified data, which has been steadily incorporated into their military (eg stuff we still can't get right on the F-35 is up, running, and leaving us in the dust on the J-31, next generation drone technologies popping up on their prototypes)

So have a nice day

But Tom Clancy made them seem so ridiculous and us seem so powerful!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I straight up can't imagine why we'd have a war with China. Yeah, Japan is another of those Armageddon lines, but why would China attack Japan at this point? The tiny little island disputes that haven't provoked actual war in the how many decades they've been running?

e: Besides, as far as I can tell China is winning the economic "war" for influence. Why the hell would they jeopardize that with military warfare?

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 30, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Corbeau posted:

I straight up can't imagine why we'd have a war with China. Yeah, Japan is another of those Armageddon lines, but why would China attack Japan at this point? The tiny little island disputes that haven't provoked actual war in the how many decades they've been running?

Everyone in East Asia hates Japan. Exempted are (most of ) Japan itself and I guess Taiwan because they were sort of a model colony.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

computer parts posted:

Everyone in East Asia hates Japan. Exempted are (most of ) Japan itself and I guess Taiwan because they were sort of a model colony.

I don't see how that turns into a casus belli though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Corbeau posted:

e: Besides, as far as I can tell China is winning the economic "war" for influence. Why the hell would the jeopardize that with military warfare?

Internal Economic pressures. If things start heading south, that dissent is best focused outward, and who better to focus it on than Japan?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Corbeau posted:

Japan is not very popular in its former sphere of colonialism, though the idea of a war between China and Japan that draws in America / other international interests is more the closest thing to a conceivable scenario that would draw America into a war with China than a likely course of events.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If the Chinese version of the F-35 can fly across the International Dateline without the computer dying, then we're screwed

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

If the Chinese version of the F-35 can fly across the International Dateline without the computer dying, then we're screwed

Impossible, that is a core component of the F-35

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Corbeau posted:

I don't see how that turns into a casus belli though.

Cynical answer: It'll probably be those uninhabited islands they're constantly squabbling over that nobody else gives a poo poo about.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

GlyphGryph posted:

Internal Economic pressures. If things start heading south, that dissent is best focused outward, and who better to focus it on than Japan?

How about someone who doesn't have the backing of a nuclear superpower?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I cannot imagine China going to war and NOT having some sort of internal coup come out of it. Their Navy is still largely in development, their economy is too deeply tied to outside influences and their politicians are comfy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

computer parts posted:

Everyone in East Asia hates the poo poo out of each other.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

An occupation of Taiwan seems more likely than an attack on Japan but still way out in crazy Clancy novel land.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grapplejack posted:

Everyone in East Asia hates the poo poo out of each other.

Chinese don't really care about Koreans from what I've seen but I guess the opposite direction has hate.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

hobbesmaster posted:

An occupation of Taiwan seems more likely than an attack on Japan but still way out in crazy Clancy novel land.

I don't think anyone would go to war over Taiwan. It would be hugely impractical trying to contest something that close to China, Taiwan isn't important enough to warrant those kind of commitments, and Taiwan is so outgunned it would probably be fait accompli before anyone could even think about mobilizing. We'd probably see another round of sanctions out of it, but no shooting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Voyager I posted:

What do China and America even try to have a conventional war about?

A choreographed excuse to spin up war time economies in both to paper over an impending crisis, with various contractors getting rich on the sides. The Chinese also get to bleed off a bunch of "excess population" by allowing the war to take place on their soil. After enough profit has been made and graves dug, the Chinese and American leaders launch their preplanned peace conference, graciously accept each other's miniscule demands and go back to being buddies. The next year's Call Of Duty features the Chinese Campaign.

That's the closest thing I could come up with to a reasonable war between China/US.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Crain posted:

Of all the things you do not want to give the American military, a conventional war where they are not the aggressor is at the top of that loving list.

Oh lord it's the modern day equivalent of starting a land war in Russia.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I keep saying, look north. Arctic circle is where the next war will start - between Russia and China. (my best guess at strongest odds.)

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Wouldn't going to war with the US (or a close US ally like Japan) seriously wreck the Chinese economy?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Corbeau posted:

e: Besides, as far as I can tell China is winning the economic "war" for influence. Why the hell would they jeopardize that with military warfare?

Sometimes you've just got to invade Iraq, man.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
The NSA dragnet program is back

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Alien Arcana posted:

Wouldn't going to war with the US (or a close US ally like Japan) seriously wreck the Chinese economy?

This applies for any remotely developed nation these days. The question everyone is waiting with bated breath the answer to is, is that enough of a deterrent?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

Sometimes you've just got to invade Iraq, man.

China should follow tradition of the other super powers and get into a decade long quagmire in Afghanistan.

They have to either annex Tajikistan or Pakistan+Kashmir to get there but thats all the more opportunity for quagmires!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Antti posted:

This applies for any remotely developed nation these days. The question everyone is waiting with bated breath the answer to is, is that enough of a deterrent?

The world powers thought that would prevent WWI too, but it still happened.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I wanted to post this, but from the article it seemed like it already "came back" with the freedom act?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Antti posted:

Nuclear Holocaust kept the nukes from flying for 60yr so far so sure why not?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.salon.com/2015/06/30/african_american_flagger_says_confederate_flag_isnt_about_race_slavery_was_a_choice/

quote:

A member of the group known as “The Virginia Flaggers” — who claim as their “weapon…the Confederate Battle Flag” and their “enemies…those who worship ignorance, historical revisionism and Political Correctness” — declared in a recent interview that despite being black herself, she believes the Confederate battle flag “represents freedom.”

In the interview — which is part of an ongoing documentary project about the meaning of the Confederate battle flag — Karen Cooper claimed that she was raised in the North as a member of the Nation of Islam, but “felt more welcome in the South” where, she said, “the races are more together.”

She said that she was introduced to the “flagger” movement by friends of hers in the Tea Party on Facebook. “Most of the people in the Tea Party had Confederate ancestors,” she added as if most people would be surprised to learn that.

“I know what people think about when they see the battle flag — the KKK, racism, bringing slavery back — so I knew it would be something for people to see a black woman with the battle flag.”

Cooper insisted that she’s not “advocating slavery,” because she isn’t. Moreover, slavery “wasn’t just something that happened in the South, it happened worldwide.”

She added that she believes “slavery was a choice, because of what Patrick Henry said, ‘Give me liberty, or give me death.’” Slaves, she argued — in a serious manner, unlike Eddie Izzard’s famous “Cake or Death?” routine — should have opted for “death.”

Given that she just declared “death” the only viable response to slavery, it is somewhat odd that she then referred to herself as a “slave of the federal government,” saying that “I can’t smoke what I want to smoke, I can’t drink what I want to drink. If I want to put something into my body, it’s my body — not theirs. That’s tyranny!”

Is Allen West married yet?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Warcabbit posted:

I keep saying, look north. Arctic circle is where the next war will start - between Russia and China. (my best guess at strongest odds.)

Ok, you know how people have invoked Tom Clancy's name to indicate this is all incredibly dumb speculation? What you've just suggested is Literally the main plot to one of the more ridiculous Clancy novels.

Other, only marginally dumber, subplot aspects include the assassination of the Vatican ambassador by the Chinese military for trying to intervene to prevent a forced abortion.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ok, you know how people have invoked Tom Clancy's name to indicate this is all incredibly dumb speculation? What you've just suggested is Literally the main plot to one of the more ridiculous Clancy novels.

To be fair, has every possible scenario Future War been covered by that crazy bin?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
What are the odds that the program is somehow extended into next year

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I cannot imagine China going to war and NOT having some sort of internal coup come out of it. Their Navy is still largely in development, their economy is too deeply tied to outside influences and their politicians are comfy.

Pretty much. I was trying to make the point that it's in more or less the same position as the Russia pearl clutching going on earlier - it is a bad set up with a lot of potential for things to go very very wrong that seems unlikely due to relative strength and economic ties. But it is also a situation where poor leadership pushing the envelope out of domestic pressures, pride, and a nationalist narrative could really send poo poo off the rails.

I don't think Putin is as half mad as Max Fisher paints him as - you don't last as long and climb as high as he did in the KGB and Moscow politics by being anything other than a cunning survivor. And survivors don't gently caress around with nukes.

You see the same thing in the South Pacific with those stupid sand bars people pretend are real islands and Xi's government. He didn't get where he was without a sharp sense of how to play the game. Which means he knows the top of the checklist is "no conventional war against the U.S. where you start with a surprise attack"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DemeaninDemon posted:

To be fair, has every possible scenario Future War been covered by that crazy bin?

He did a multi-book arc in which a sinister conspiracy between Japan, China, and India to form essentially a neo-East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere was incrementally foiled by a heroic America and suddenly-one-of-the-good-guys Russia. It all started with the Japanese seizing the Marianas in Debt of Honor, and was the last piece of evidence I needed to conclude Clancy's mind could not function properly in a post-Cold War world.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

http://www.theonion.com/article/black-man-support-confederate-flag-triples-his-med-50727

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/u...v=top-news&_r=0

quote:

The stunning series of liberal decisions delivered by the Supreme Court this term was the product of discipline on the left side of the court and disarray on the right.

In case after case, including blockbusters on same-sex marriage and President Obama’s health care law, the court’s four-member liberal wing, all appointed by Democratic presidents, managed to pick off one or more votes from the court’s five conservative justices, all appointed by Republicans.

They did this in large part through rigorous bloc voting, making the term that concluded Monday the most liberal one since the Warren court in the late 1960s, according to two political-science measurements of court voting data.

“The most interesting thing about this term is the acceleration of a long-term trend of disagreement among the Republican-appointed judges, while the Democratic-appointed judges continue to march in lock step,” said Eric Posner, a law professor at the University of Chicago.

Many analysts credit the leadership of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the senior member of the liberal justices, for leveraging their four votes. “We have made a concerted effort to speak with one voice in important cases,” she said in an interview last year.

The court’s conservatives, by contrast, were often splintered, issuing separate opinions even when they agreed on the outcome. The conservative justices, for instance, produced more than 40 dissenting opinions, the liberals just 13.

The divisions on the right, Professor Posner said, may have occurred in part because the mix of cases reaching the court has invited a backlash. “Conservative litigators who hope to move the law to the right by bringing cases to the Supreme Court have overreached,” he said. “They are trying to move the law farther right than Kennedy or Roberts think reasonable.”

For example, in King v. Burwell, the case brought by groups hostile to the Affordable Care Act, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Anthony M. Kennedy joined the court’s four liberals in rejecting the challenge to health insurance subsidies provided through federal exchanges. Justices Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr. dissented.

Also, cool graphic:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Antti posted:

Nah, doesn't apply for Russia to be quite honest.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

On the topic of the F-35: Test Pilot Admits the F-35 Can't Dogfight

Somewhere John Boys is spinning in his grave

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
China is not going to upend decades of diplomatic relations just because they have some whiny, bored officers :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Alien Arcana posted:

Everyone's planning on a Splendid Little War where the US just gives up rather than risk an actual fight, not some knock-down-drag-out affair with actual ships getting sunk and stuff.

• Locked thread