Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Oh look it's the :laugh: fella again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Mitchell Marsh hit a no-pressure century after failing in the first innings. A true heir to the Watto throne.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
At least Mitch Marsh isn't 30+ and could end up being good some day

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
No one actually cares about the world cup but England were so bad it became amusing

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Seams posted:

Mitchell Marsh hit a no-pressure century after failing in the first innings. A true heir to the Watto throne.

he did take a great catch; watto didn't bowl; at all; must be saving his 4 overs for the first test

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Siddle is still Siddle.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

goatface posted:

Siddle is still Siddle.

Bowling his heart out, but ultimately taking no wickets?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He got one actually, but pretty much. He's not going to get in the side even if he ends this with 7.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
DBD feasting on this soft Australian attack

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh. Balls.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Smith ripping through them, clearly we don't need Lyon

(I will giggle like an idiot if he gets Bell out again though)

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Good field this

Assume the icons are showing which people have been bribed

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Hmm, a 5-4 split field. Seems a bit defensive imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Massive gap through the covers too, easy pickings there

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hoggard should have just tonked him for 6 imo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Heh, Bairstow and the Nan put on 366 before declaring against Durham.

Not sure why they stopped there. Bairstow could have gone for a nice 250, Bresnan was only 31 runs from a double ton.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

quote:

New Zealand Cricket has agreed to play a day-night Test against Australia as part of a deal that will resume regular cricket between the two neighbours after a gap of four years and provide a significant financial leg-up for New Zealand.

The inaugural, experimental day-night Test will be played at Adelaide Oval with a pink Kookaburra ball in the third match of the series between Australia and New Zealand, between November 27 and December 1.

Should be pretty interesting to see how it goes, obviously fantastic for people be able to watch at home

Cricinfo comments also worried about the wider issues

quote:

Mg Gm on June 29, 2015, 17:37 GMT

What about Global Warming? No one cares. No problem but Cricketers and Watchers in the ground will get eyesight issues in future for sure

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

The ball will be poo poo.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Well their red ball is so why should the pink ball be any different.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Aussies building their excuses in early this series rather than after the fact like Hobart last time.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Airstream Driver posted:

The ball will be poo poo.

I've played 20/20 club games with those pink kookaburra balls and they are flat out terrible. The wear in a really weird non-good way and the seam gets mashed into nothing very quickly, I'd hate to be bowling the 80th over of an innings with it.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3

Spedman posted:

The wear in a really weird non-good way and the seam gets mashed into nothing very quickly, I'd hate to be bowling the 80th over of an innings with it.

Just keep it tight for six balls, the new ball is due next up fyi

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If they wear down twice as fast, just give them a new ball every 40 overs. Duh.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

They should have fresh stats for the pink ball/day-nighters. I bet if they did that there would be zero bitching from bowlers.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

goatface posted:

Heh, Bairstow and the Nan put on 366 before declaring against Durham.

Not sure why they stopped there. Bairstow could have gone for a nice 250, Bresnan was only 31 runs from a double ton.
What exactly happened with Bresnan? I know he had injury problems and lost some of his pace, but he seems pretty good again now and it's not like we have an embarrassment of riches in the bowling department. I do remember hearing somewhere that he pissed off a lot of England fans, but I think I must've missed that memo.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
A Thing I Have Been Contemplating:

Why can't they manufacture a white ball or a pink ball in the same manner in which they manufacture a red ball, only .......... get this:

white or pink instead of red

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it something to do with the colouring process for lighter colours softening the leather?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

goatface posted:

Isn't it something to do with the colouring process for lighter colours softening the leather?

Pretty much this, the tanning/colouring process ends up with something feeling closer to a soft plastic coated leather rather than just plain leather. By the looks of things acrylics and dyes are used to get the colouring done.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Is it just absolutely impossible to reverse-engineer the red dye into a white/pink dye with the same chemical composition? Thereby eliminating the polyurethane coating or whatever is on the white ball.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV9t-tfTbFQ

Kookaburra claims the balls are the most tested balls ever to enter the first class arena.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Maybe that would mean something if their red balls weren't poo poo.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
They should have separate stats for Duke/Kookaburra as well.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
everyone should just use tennis balls wrapped in duct tape imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Seams posted:

everyone should just use tennis balls wrapped in duct tape imo

The real solution to tiny grounds and big bats these days phwoar

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

The Big Show takes a one handed catch while smashing an icecream -

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/glenn-maxwell-one-hand-catch-ice-cream-yorkshire-bardsley-t20-cricket-england/2015-07-01

Wonder if the writer is a goon, the first actual video on that article is Glenn-Maxwell-t20-leave.gif

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Harris's non-existent knee appears to be sore so I guess that solves that selection issue.

e: lol at Ryder opening the bowling for Essex

Airstream Driver fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 1, 2015

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Brad Haddin on England not wanting the big mean Aussies to be mean to them this Ashes (and hopefully also suddenly get much worse at cricket!!!!!!!!!!!!!):

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...y-1227423130034

quote:

The last time a team tried to smother the Aussies in kindness, cricket’s most relentlessly aggressive side came back even harder. Even if Australia lost a few admirers for getting in the face of the loveable New Zealanders in the World Cup final, the record books show they came away with the prize. If England aren’t bluffing with their charm offensive, Haddin says Australia can prove again that nice guys finish last in cricket.

“Yeah, we fixed that in the World Cup final, didn’t we?,” he said.

“I don’t understand where they’re coming with this. I don’t understand this pleasant – I don’t know what it’s ...?

“… could you explain to me what it’s?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
it's ours lads

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
England squad to face Australia in first Test: Alastair Cook (Essex), Moeen Ali (Wors), James Anderson (Lancs), Gary Balance (York), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Notts), Jos Buttler (Lancs), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Adam Lyth (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Wood (Durham).

England are never going to give up on Finn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Finn has a World Cup hat trick against world champions Australia.