Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wasn't that CT remake some weird thing where they were trying to sell their game engine and they were remaking CT within it to show off what could be done? That's a way sketchier situation than translation projects of games that never come out outside of Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i think the most optimistic you could be is assuming it's on the table as something they're considering but still haven't committed to

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Wasn't that CT remake some weird thing where they were trying to sell their game engine and they were remaking CT within it to show off what could be done? That's a way sketchier situation than translation projects of games that never come out outside of Japan.

Yeah, I don't remember specifics, but I think there was something unique about the CnD that provoked SE. Not that I don't think it is beyond the lawyers to just go after whatever, but I would say this at least indicates SE is seriously interested in localizing it, they my just not have had the instance to make any negotiations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I am curious as to how a fan translation would even help. I would assume that, like all of the others I have seen, it is designed for emulation, but I am almost certain that there is no 3DS emulator anywhere close to working at this point in time. There are very good ones for (not 3)DS and PSP among a lot of other systems, but I am not sure what one would do with a 3DS ROM at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I dunno, they tore down that Chrono Trigger remake just for funsies. Unless you count a DS port of Chrono Trigger to be competition to that fan project. I know I didn't.

No they didn't. The Chrono Trigger remake project was a 'remake' of ten scenes in the game which was being used as a self-promotion tool. It is exactly the sort of thing you actually do C&D.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Skeezy posted:

So it looks like Square Enix sent a DQ7 3DS fan translation a cease and desist. So it could mean something but probably not.

It's looking more and more like it's less "We're not confident in these games and don't want to lose money" and more "We don't want you playing them".

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ImpAtom posted:

No they didn't. The Chrono Trigger remake project was a 'remake' of ten scenes in the game which was being used as a self-promotion tool. It is exactly the sort of thing you actually do C&D.

Shows how closely I was keeping an eye on it. Oh well.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

but I am not sure what one would do with a 3DS ROM at this point.

There's totally ways to run roms on actual 3DSs now.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

You get extra rolls in that DQM mobile game by sharing your first result on facebook.

Which I did till I rolled a Slime Knight. En garde! :black101:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The DQ7 translation was most likely C&D because they took the entire script from the PSX and injected it into the 3DS rom. Even if they released a patch they're infringing copyrights to the original translators and is a legal poo poo show.

As much as I want it I highly doubt Square will be bringing DQ7 over however it would be really cool if tools were released to blanket-patch the game if you had the rom and isos from the original.

Less law breaking and likely less to get a C&D so long as you keep your mouth shut until the patch is released.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm stunned that DQMSL is coming out here. There hadn't been any word on it for such a long time I figured it was going to go the way of most DQM games and never spread outside Japan. Now I don't feel so bad about being unable to log in to my JP account that seemed to have bugged out terribly when I started an XP dungeon a few weeks back. Gonna miss having Necrosaro though.

iastudent posted:

You get extra rolls in that DQM mobile game by sharing your first result on facebook.

Which I did till I rolled a Slime Knight. En garde! :black101:

Currently sitting on an Icikiller (A Rank) as my roll and I'm sorely tempted to just keep going because different times have different units and a good S rank to start with would be nice. You can get 20 rolls every ~8 hours too so the odds seem pretty good.

From the way this stuff sounds with the redemption codes I'm guessing the codes themselves aren't actually tied to an account, so you could roll with multiple Facebook accounts and use whichever locked monster you deem best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

flyboi posted:

The DQ7 translation was most likely C&D because they took the entire script from the PSX and injected it into the 3DS rom. Even if they released a patch they're infringing copyrights to the original translators and is a legal poo poo show.

As much as I want it I highly doubt Square will be bringing DQ7 over however it would be really cool if tools were released to blanket-patch the game if you had the rom and isos from the original.

Less law breaking and likely less to get a C&D so long as you keep your mouth shut until the patch is released.

Haha. That also would have been a poo poo translation because DQ7 isn't a straight port. If that is what they were trying to do it would have been a poo poo show regardless.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Haha. That also would have been a poo poo translation because DQ7 isn't a straight port. If that is what they were trying to do it would have been a poo poo show regardless.

According to the translation team aside from the new elements added the entire script was unchanged from PSX

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dargon Quest VI is up for iOS and Android $15

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
If anyone has a Japanese 3DS, Theatrhythm DQ is on Weekly Special at Play-Asia for only $13.99.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Decided to do some more rolls on the DQMSL prereg site...

You drew Tyrannoceratops.

Sure I'll take an S rank unit to help me out when the game launches. :toot:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

flyboi posted:

According to the translation team aside from the new elements added the entire script was unchanged from PSX

Nah, it has changes. They streamlined and smoothed stuff out to try to make it easier for people to get into quickly. The opening is a lot shorter now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

According to Yuji Horii DQ VII and VIII 3DS are coming out in the States http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-vii-viii-3ds-coming-west-according-series-creator

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Toldja :colbert:

Really good news! I will absolutely 100% pick up DQ8, will almost certainly pick up 7 as well since it's the streamlined doesn't-take-forgoddamnever-to-get-started version.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I've never actually played VII so I'm glad a streamlined version is coming out here.

Now I don't have to replay VIII on the PS2 I just bought.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Didn't VIII 3DS look really ugly or something

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nate RFB posted:

It isn't even out yet in Japan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Nate RFB posted:

The camera's pulled in really close so the field of view isn't great and it's made worse by the fact that they changed to visible encounters.

EDIT: oops, that's DQ7.

DQ8 doesn't have great draw distance and no stereo 3D but it looks about as nice as can be expected for the hardware, people are mostly just mad that it's getting a downport instead of a HD port.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

hooray

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Watch it be French only for an absurd reason only Square understands.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Justin_Brett posted:

Watch it be French only for an absurd reason only Square understands.

I would be fine with that. :smuggo: :france:

Quips aside, I doubt that I would buy VIII again, but I would VII. Here is hoping that they do an English/French/German/Italian/Spanish version like the DS games and release it "worldwide" (that being NA, Europe, and Au/NZ, most likely).

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I hope they streamline the battles a bit in 8, pretty animations are nice but they get old really fast when they slow the game down.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Adam Bowen posted:

I hope they streamline the battles a bit in 8, pretty animations are nice but they get old really fast when they slow the game down.

There's a fastforward feature, but it doesn't speed things up that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujXY3nmsb3U

Morrie has Claws/Boomerangs/Hammers while Red has Fans/Daggers/Whips, and it displays the skills in a weapon tree at the bottom of the screen like in DQ9.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The best thing they could do to 8 that it isn't clear whether they've already done is give you enough skill points to actually use all those skills and experiment with them a bit.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Have they said whether or not the alchemy pot will be instant in dq8 3ds.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
And work in batches like IX?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fairly sure that the mobile DQ8 port already made the Pot instant, so yes they'll probably change that bit.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started playing DQ games about 2 months ago, emulated 1-3, bought 4, 5, 6 on DS and bough an old PS2 and copies of 7 and 8. I didn't beat any of 1-3 bc after playing for a few hours it wasn't the most engaging stuff in the world, but I wanted to see the origins of the series. I've had a total blast with V and VI (finished VI last night after having to grind quite a bit to actually beat the final boss, who was a real fucker). I'm going to save IV for later in August because I'll be traveling a lot and I think I'm going to start VIII this weekend. These games are really cool and it's lame that I've been missing out on them for so long.

And you're welcome for being the sales that tipped the scale to bring VII and VIII remakes to the west.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Should I be saving these stat up items in DQV or just use them whenever?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You should probably only use them on your MC or the kids. Or if you really, really, really want to use the wife in your final party, you could save them for her. It isn't worth it to use them on monsters.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Should I be saving these stat up items in DQV or just use them whenever?

I used them all on my hero since he's always in your party.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TurnipFritter posted:

You should probably only use them on your MC or the kids. Or if you really, really, really want to use the wife in your final party, you could save them for her. It isn't worth it to use them on monsters.

Man, why would you not have your entire family as your final party? Admittedly I married Debora because she is the best and I think she's pretty solid in combat compared to the other 2.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
http://www.dragonquest.jp/builders/

I hope this is good, but it is immediately disappointing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Minecraft was not a direction I expected Dragon Quest to go in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Decided to do some more rolls on the DQMSL prereg site...

You drew Tyrannoceratops.

Sure I'll take an S rank unit to help me out when the game launches. :toot:

I wonder why they brought the lovely phone game over and not the 3ds monsters games.

Probably cheaper to translate, but drat.