Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

God damnit, NPR -

Are The Vaccine Court's Requirements Too Strict?

On the upside, there are a ton of folks in the site and Facebook comments yelling at NPR for suggesting that we should make the standards lower and for not understanding that correlation does not equal causation. It's rather refreshing, actually.

Yeah, this was playing on the radio during the portion of my commute with the worst traffic. So many profanities. My favorite part was the boo-hooing on how no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't find a single doctor to testify on their behalf.

quote:

"Doctors don't want to go out on that limb," Mary Wildman says.

As if they think they're entitled to a doctor who supports their position. FFS medicine isn't a democracy where all you need is some brave soul to stand up for your set of facts to validate them.

At least the UM professor pointed out that the standard in that court is already as low as it can go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

xrunner posted:

As if they think they're entitled to a doctor who supports their position. FFS medicine isn't a democracy where all you need is some brave soul to stand up for your set of facts to validate them.

At least the UM professor pointed out that the standard in that court is already as low as it can go.

Even if the burden was notably lower than it is now, the evidence their sons issue is not related to the vaccine is strong enough that the case would have likely been dead in the water anyway. The only thing their case seems to have had is a strong emotional appeal.

The article also buries that they tried to find an doctor to argue on their behalf for 15 years.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
All this crying about vaccines, but the lady gives her 1-year-old acetaminophen, which causes nearly 500 deaths a year in the U.S. (and tens of thousands of *hospitalized* cases of liver damage) and is particularly easy for a tiny human to OD on, and nobody even thinks twice about it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As I've mentioned before, the thing to focus on isn't the idiots in the story, it's the specific people at the media outlet that gave them a mic. They're the ones to target. They're the vectors.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Big Pharma assassinated a leading Anti-Vaccination researcher the other day.

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2015/jun/25/controversial-autism-researcher-jeff-bradstreet/

Wake up sheeple!!!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cubey posted:

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2015/jun/25/controversial-autism-researcher-jeff-bradstreet/

Wake up sheeple!!!

Good.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

Wake up sheeple!!!

I like the comments on that:

Person with autism: Hey here's why vaccines don't cause autism and BTW autistic people don't like to be called "broken" if you don't mind.

Nut: how dare you tell me to use "PC" language & your a shill & autistic people really are broken & your a liar!!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Cubey posted:

Wake up sheeple!!!

Nothing of value was lost.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
i guess self-vaccinating with lead is dangerous to your health

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

That Works posted:

Don't forget that this generation has never been sicker.

I remember the yellow fever epidemic delivering the election to Obama as it ravaged the american south, taking out millions of old white voters. Also I am the only surviving child of a family of 12. I had 2 brothers die of tetanus, tuberculosis took out the older sisters and my twin brother died of a dog bite that festered.

And then they go on to openly admit that smallpox was eliminated via vaccination.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Get ready for a renewed flood of Hitler references!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/us/california-mandates-vaccines-for-schoolchildren.html

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Governor Brown signed SB277 into law *without any changes* (he hobbled our previous vaccination bill at the last second)! Antivaxxers are already planning to sue over it. Also, California SB792 just got referred to committee this morning. SB792 requires daycare workers to be vaccinated against pertussis, measles, and influenza. The antivaxxers are framing this as FORCED ADULT VACCINATIONS.

SB277 was amended in the Assembly to allow for a sort-of somewhat grandfathering - children who hold a PBE issued before the law takes effect (January 1, 2016), will maintain that exemption until they hit the next mandatory vaccination check. So essentially anyone entering kindergarten this fall can get a PBE and avoid vaccination until middle school. We won't see the complete effect of the bill for 5 or 6 years.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fionnoula posted:

Governor Brown signed SB277 into law *without any changes* (he hobbled our previous vaccination bill at the last second)! Antivaxxers are already planning to sue over it. Also, California SB792 just got referred to committee this morning. SB792 requires daycare workers to be vaccinated against pertussis, measles, and influenza. The antivaxxers are framing this as FORCED ADULT VACCINATIONS.

SB277 was amended in the Assembly to allow for a sort-of somewhat grandfathering - children who hold a PBE issued before the law takes effect (January 1, 2016), will maintain that exemption until they hit the next mandatory vaccination check. So essentially anyone entering kindergarten this fall can get a PBE and avoid vaccination until middle school. We won't see the complete effect of the bill for 5 or 6 years.

How do anti-vaxxers think they have a case against the law? It's very much in the government's authority to require these things and a religious exception is not required by any reasonable reading of the state or US Constitutions.

Homeschooling will probably go up but honestly I hope a law's eventually passed that requires vaccination period. Homeschooled? Doesn't matter. Refusing to vaccinate your kids because a dumbass model and some quacks are conning you? You go to jail for child endangerment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Bear in mind that the supreme court already ruled many decades ago that FORCED ADULT VACCINATIONS are within the bounds of the constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Cockmaster posted:

And then they go on to openly admit that smallpox was eliminated via vaccination.

I've read some that deny any link, and claim smallpox rates went down due to improved sanitation, and actually the WHO's vaccination programs in the last remaining pockets of the world actually perpetuated the disease longer.

Breathtaking in its blindness.

Edit: for example
https://childhealthsafety.wordpress...icate-smallpox/

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 30, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've read some that deny any link, and claim smallpox rates went down due to improved sanitation, and actually the WHO's vaccination programs in the last remaining pockets of the world actually perpetuated the disease longer.

My only answer to that would be "smallpox was eradicated due to improved sanitation in the 70s? have you ever been in Africa?"

e: Christ almighty what am I saying? Smallpox is airborne, how the gently caress is improved sanitation going to make a difference?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 1, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MeLKoR posted:

e: Christ almighty what am I saying? Smallpox is airborne, how the gently caress is improved sanitation going to make a difference?

Two words: Domed Cities

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/616049450243338240

https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/616051925859987456

Jim Carrey is doing his thing again, most of the replies are just people making fun of him, which is nice.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Jim, I'm sure you've heard countless times by now that the amount of mercury and aluminum kids take in through food and water is far more than the amount in vacci

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Elemental mercury like you find in fish is also kind of, you know, a different thing than a molecule of mercury bound up somewhere in a chemical of some sort. Yeah there's still some mercury molecules there but molecules behave very differently if they're bound up with other crap.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'm aware that thimerosal isn't the same as mercury in fish but it's something that's been used in vaccines since the 30s and I'm pretty sure everyone has been just fine

e: I feel like someone will correct me here so I'll say that there have always been some people with allergic reactions, etc

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fionnoula posted:

Still really surprised that California was able to pass such a medically wise crackdown bill.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

We went so long with this thread being inactive. I had high hopes that this little movement had all but run its course and the anti-vax crowd had decided the fight was never going to be won. Oh, how naive of me. :smith:

Welcome back friends. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjawyE9YII

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pastor Perineum posted:

I'm aware that thimerosal isn't the same as mercury in fish but it's something that's been used in vaccines since the 30s and I'm pretty sure everyone has been just fine

e: I feel like someone will correct me here so I'll say that there have always been some people with allergic reactions, etc

That doesn't stop people from losing their minds, unfortunately. Even if you can demonstrate scientifically that it is, in fact, safe people just go MERCURY!!!!! :derp: and lose their minds. Or, you know, "but but but thimerosal is a CHEMICAL and CHEMICALS are unsafe!"

YOU'RE MADE OF CHEMICALS YOU DUMB gently caress

While I'm a pretty cranky person in general I don't think anybody makes me quite as genuinely angry as anti-vaxxers.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Guys, chugging chlorine straight out the jug in your pool supplies closet is dangerous. Yet, we let our children sprinkle those little packets of salt on their food. Does that make sense?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Centripetal Horse posted:

Guys, chugging chlorine straight out the jug in your pool supplies closet is dangerous. Yet, we let our children sprinkle those little packets of salt on their food. Does that make sense? we pump it up our children's rear end and it cures autism. You can't explain that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

fermun posted:

https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/616049450243338240

https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/616051925859987456

Jim Carrey is doing his thing again, most of the replies are just people making fun of him, which is nice.

Jenny McCarthy needs to be stopped.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Well you have to mix it with orange juice first, and orange juice is healthy, so that makes orange bleach juice healthy enough to put up someone's rectum. That's just science!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You know if you dilute the bleach enough you'll become immune to bleach.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You know if you dilute the bleach enough you'll become immune to bleach.

Goddamnit, you made me think of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqbn7oxXh38

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Keeshhound posted:

Well you have to mix it with orange juice first, and orange juice is healthy, so that makes orange bleach juice healthy enough to put up someone's rectum. That's just science!

At first I thought this quote was in response to this one:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Jenny McCarthy needs to be stopped.

and giggled for a while.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Flu shots aren't vaccines, right? Is that why you have to get them annually? I'm asking because some dipshit on my Facebook is talking about his reasoning for being an anti-vaxxer which is "I got the flu shot and got sick" :ughh:

I just want to be informed before I start calling him out on how retarded his reasoning is.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Flu shots aren't vaccines, right? Is that why you have to get them annually? I'm asking because some dipshit on my Facebook is talking about his reasoning for being an anti-vaxxer which is "I got the flu shot and got sick" :ughh:

I just want to be informed before I start calling him out on how retarded his reasoning is.

I'm pretty sure flu shots are vaccines, the thing is with the flu there's so many potential strains basically what they do each year is gin up a specific vaccine for the ones they predict are the most likely to be big come flu season, and repeat the process the next year. I don't remember how the specific process goes of determining which to guard against.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

They're vaccines. The "flu" is a bunch of different virii that keep changing, so they release a new version of it each year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No, it is a vaccine but ask him if he got diphtheria or rubella after a doctor's visit when he was 6. Or about all the other years when he got a flu shot and didn't get the flu.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

No, they're vaccines, specifically for what scientists predict will be the most common flu strains that year.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Discendo Vox posted:

They're vaccines. The "flu" is a bunch of different virii that keep changing, so they release a new version of it each year.

Basically this.

It's actually the same virus but some of the components mutate over time so the vaccine is trying to hit that moving target of what kind of combination they think they will see when it starts to hit the Western Hemisphere. Most of the time they predict the vaccine type pretty well and its fine. Sometimes (like last year) it isn't as effective because the virus mutated into a combination that they didn't think was going to be a major one and only was partially effective.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Okay, I was misinformed. I assumed because the flu was different from a virus. :downs:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Okay, I was misinformed. I assumed because the flu was different from a virus. :downs:

Nope, still a virus just one that changes fairly swiftly over time.

Viruses that mutate like that are tough. It's one (of several) reasons that we don't have an HIV vaccine etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

The reason you get a flu vaccine every year is because the prominent strain differs every year and the vaccine efficacy wanes. Your dipshit Facebook friend could very well get a flu vaccine and get sick for a number of reasons. The vaccine can cause mild flu-like symptoms, or your friend could have caught a strain not matched by the vaccine. Even in a bad year where the vaccine doesn't match +90% with the circulating strain(s), you'll have protection from some strains.

Lets put it this way - just because dies in a car accident while wearing a seatbelt doesn't mean they should stop wearing a seatbelt! Seatbelts are proven to save lives, not every life.

See this awesome graphic on how the flu vaccine matched up with the prominent strains between 2008-2015.

edit: taken from http://blogs.plos.org/publichealth/2014/12/12/flu-shot-isnt-good-match-year-ever/

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 1, 2015

• Locked thread