Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Discendo Vox posted:

Structurally, I believe there were no Robins in Asylum. The Jason Todd business must have happened before City, since we had Tim in that one. I recall Joker making a couple offhand references to it.

In one of those moments where you can go into the area with the Joker TV ahead of schedule, he mentions Robin. Could be Dick, but since Barbara is already Oracle, it's more likely Tim. Though, granted, it honestly could be Jason. I think it makes more sense for it to be Tim though given the space between Asylum and City.

Beef Chief posted:

That would actually clear up most of my complaints since the character wasn't just established literally this game and wasn't a narrative rear end pull. That being said it still begs the question of why they didn't go with Red Hood, but hey you gotta market a game and need thing to pull people in once in a while and while it is the exact same thing except Arkham Knight looks cooler, I can maybe get over the fact you wasted this cool design on this lovely character.

Well they REALLY needed to get Arkham in the title some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really really wish they'd gone Arkham County, Arkham State, Arkham Country, etc. because that would have been hilarious. That one thug in Arkham City had such bright ideas, he didn't deserve to be locked up :negative:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Big rear end Arkham World would make for a fantastic April's Fool DLC.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Arkham Kong Country

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

"We can't stop here, this is Arkham Country!" *inhales 3000cc of joker venom and fear toxin*

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Discendo Vox posted:

Structurally, I believe there were no Robins in Asylum. The Jason Todd business must have happened before City, since we had Tim in that one. I recall Joker making a couple offhand references to it.

Joker says something about "It looks like you could use a new sidekick" at one point, so I'm assuming Tim was recruited between Asylum and City.

Which would explain why Batman seems completely unwilling to put him in dangerous situations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

There are a couple of references to Robin in Arkham Asylum but they're generic Boy Wonder kind of stuff. He isn't really shown or clarified until City, so it could have been Dick or Tim. The one I remember most distinctively is Joker asking Batman how he punishes his sidekicks with the joke being "isn't that outfit you make them wear punishment enough?"

Jason Todd is only mentioned obliquely with Joker mentioning having killed a Robin and making crowbar jokes as part of his overall commentary IIRC.

Also Robin almost certainly existed before Arkham Asylum because Babs was already Oracle by that point and her having a career as Batgirl before there is any Robin doesn't make sense.

Even through "The Batman" was overall okayish, it did just that by having Batgirl exist before Robin.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Anybody on PS4 still not able to connect to leaderboards? I don't really care all that much but I figure there's something wrong because its a week after release and its still saying it can't connect to PSN. My connection to PSN is fine, I use it for other games without any problems.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I just finished the Penguin weapon cache quest chain and the difference between how Bruce treats Dick and Tim is really irritating.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Basebf555 posted:

Anybody on PS4 still not able to connect to leaderboards? I don't really care all that much but I figure there's something wrong because its a week after release and its still saying it can't connect to PSN. My connection to PSN is fine, I use it for other games without any problems.

Yupppp.

I assume it's because WB is poo poo and can never manage their servers right. The best is when you're on chat talking to people playing Arkham while you are and you're just like "bad news guys, I'm not on PSN, I'm a ghost. lol"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

I just finished the Penguin weapon cache quest chain and the difference between how Bruce treats Dick and Tim is really irritating.

What's the difference? He seemed pretty "No. Go home and let me handle everything. :mad:" to both of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The weird thing is that Leaderboards worked on launch evening and haven't since then. I think they might just be getting overloaded or something but they haven't worked at all for me.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What's the difference? He seemed pretty "No. Go home and let me handle everything. :mad:" to both of them.

He asked Dick to keep helping him and basically treated Tim like he was going to die the second he got out of Batman's sight.

And then Dick gets kidnapped AND Tim gets kidnapped so good job Bats.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't been able to, nope. Which is bizarre since the most recent patch was apparently solely to fix the leaderboards.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Joker says something about "It looks like you could use a new sidekick" at one point, so I'm assuming Tim was recruited between Asylum and City.

Which would explain why Batman seems completely unwilling to put him in dangerous situations.

Of course the fact Jason was held captive somewhere within Arkham for more than six months is a bit absurd given Batman could build an entire batcave underneath the place but couldn't find a trace of Jason.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

At the end of it, Bruce explicitly says that he trusts Dick to protect Bludhaven, with the implication that he's going to die that night.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder what the fallout of Bruce being unmasked was for Tim and Dick. I mean TIm seems to be getting married to Barbara so good on him but I'm pretty sure people would have noticed that Wayne had two/three dark-haired kids hanging around him and nobody knows Robin or Nightwing's identities.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Hold down Y when driving behind one. You need 2 special bars to pull it off though.

I tried that boss fight one more time, and everything just worked out... I didn't even need to hack anything. Honest to god didn't even need to make a quick get away once.

Thanks though, I'm sure I'll use that a ton with NG+.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a DLC challenge map for Arkham City called Joker's Carnival, if you play it as Robin one of the opening lines Joker can use is something to the effect of "didn't I kill you?" I'd assume Jason Todd was Robin during Asylum and Tim Drake was Robin during City. I back this up with Red Hood saying he was tortured in the old abandoned Asylum, so presumably it takes place after Asylum and before City. Not to mention the Robin in City is clearly Tim Drake.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Playing through this game with the Damian Wayne Robin skin is gonna be really weird lol.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

net cafe scandal posted:

Playing through this game with the Damian Wayne Robin skin is gonna be really weird lol.

lol they have one? At this point I guess the only reason why there's no Stephanie Brown Robin is because they'd have to get a different voice actor. Well, that and she was a bad Robin.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

lol they have one?
There will be, it's not released yet.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So what was the 100% riddler ending? It lingered really long on the staff photo after the credits that i thought i had to press a to continue and i think i might have skipped it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JetsGuy posted:

lol they have one? At this point I guess the only reason why there's no Stephanie Brown Robin is because they'd have to get a different voice actor. Well, that and she was a bad Robin.

Wasn't Scribblenauts DCU like the first time she was ever acknowledged after she got killed in the comics? DC hates her. Still they could get two Robins out of it VA wise if they add her and Carrie Kelly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't know if I've just gotten lazy and bad since City, but this time around I'm spending almost every stealth section jumping down on someone, punching them repeatedly until they're knocked out and zipping away. Rinse and repeat.

It's even simpler in the big outdoor sections since you can just fly off and come back in 20 seconds. I'm not feeling encouraged to use the environment, even though the same tools are available to me. I didn't feel like I could get away with being so poo poo in the previous games I guess.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

So what was the 100% riddler ending? It lingered really long on the staff photo after the credits that i thought i had to press a to continue and i think i might have skipped it.

It was everything before the credits. It appears there was a bug that let some users see the full ending without getting 100% completion so that might be why you didn't see anything different. In the not 100% ending the cutscene ends after wayne mansion blows up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I don't know if I've just gotten lazy and bad since City, but this time around I'm spending almost every stealth section jumping down on someone, punching them repeatedly until they're knocked out and zipping away. Rinse and repeat.

It's even simpler in the big outdoor sections since you can just fly off and come back in 20 seconds. I'm not feeling encouraged to use the environment, even though the same tools are available to me. I didn't feel like I could get away with being so poo poo in the previous games I guess.

You absolutely could. Some of the indoor ones were a little punishing but by and large as long as there were gargoyles spamming grapple was a get-out-of-poo poo-free button.

Speaking of which:
Is it me or is the way the Freeze Grenade is included in the game tremendously half-assed? It feels like they couldn't come up with a new gadget and so they just kinda tossed it randomly in.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

You absolutely could. Some of the indoor ones were a little punishing but by and large as long as there were gargoyles spamming grapple was a get-out-of-poo poo-free button.

Speaking of which:
Is it me or is the way the Freeze Grenade is included in the game tremendously half-assed? It feels like they couldn't come up with a new gadget and so they just kinda tossed it randomly in.

A lot of stuff feels kind of half assed. The Line Launcher feels like it doesn't need to be there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the predator section enemies are much slower to take away vents/gargoyles this time around from my memory of City.

I think i only used it one time in the whole main story.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

blackguy32 posted:

A lot of stuff feels kind of half assed. The Line Launcher feels like it doesn't need to be there.

Yeah, I think there's legitimately one time outside of a Riddler puzzle it's even useful, and then it's just to save you from having to grapple back up to the other side. Which ends up making the Riddler puzzle drat near impossible to figure out because it requires you to use a gadget you barely use, and a special feature on that gadget that has pretty much no other reason to exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

The Line Launcher I can at least see considering the size of the predator rooms since it lets you make more paths and poo poo.

Freeze Grenade is just like "it was in the previous game so... eh?" I mean it works fine and is a good item it just is so lazy.

Both feel pretty half-baked though. At least the REC Gun gets some fun puzzles.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I know it's probably to make the 100% factor a little less irritating, but I do love how the Riddler isn't counted as one of Gotham's Most Wanted and doesn't need to be caught for Knightfall to take effect. :allears:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

I...cannot remember using it beyond a single section. At all. That's actually a really crap realization since it's my favorite bat-gadget, but I never really used it in this game.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Flytrap posted:

I...cannot remember using it beyond a single section. At all. That's actually a really crap realization since it's my favorite bat-gadget, but I never really used it in this game.
The game sure never gets tired of telling me to use the Line Launcher as I glide around the city.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Neo Rasa posted:

Wasn't Scribblenauts DCU like the first time she was ever acknowledged after she got killed in the comics? DC hates her. Still they could get two Robins out of it VA wise if they add her and Carrie Kelly.

I have no idea what that is, but I'll take your word for it that DC hates her. :) Still, I'm sure people would pay for it. Not me though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The tie-in comic has Batman run out of Freeze Grenades shortly after Arkham City, so I'm assuming the gadget wasn't always meant to be in the game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Except for her entire return and solo title run as Batgirl, yes DCU has ignored Steph.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Medium Cool posted:

It was everything before the credits. It appears there was a bug that let some users see the full ending without getting 100% completion so that might be why you didn't see anything different. In the not 100% ending the cutscene ends after wayne mansion blows up.

Ah, i should have realised that seemed a little "post endingy".

Welp, 100% done then, well almost. Just need to get one more challenge to unlock (destroy two drones with sequential perfect strikes) and then try getting all the stars in them. Is there a place i can go to try that unlock (like one of the other challenges) or am i stuck trying to do it in new game+?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Has a Cassandra Cain Batgirl outfit been found in the game files like the others? We need the Best BatgirlTM to complete the Bat-Family reunion.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

something about the aspect ratio, the gamma and the lovely compression makes this vid look like asylum got a ps2 port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Has a Cassandra Cain Batgirl outfit been found in the game files like the others? We need the Best BatgirlTM to complete the Bat-Family reunion.

If you check the answering machine in Bruce's office there's a message from her inviting him to her wedding :3:

• Locked thread