Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This reaction fascinates me, because it seems to be based entirely on their hairstyles.

Since videogame designers give their protagonists buzz-cuts in order to simplify animation, people with that haircut in real life are now 'generic'.

Shaving/buzzing your head has a long history of dehumanization and homogenization prior to video games. That's why Lucas did it in THX-1138, why Fritz Lang did it in Metropolis, and why they make you do it when you become a Buddhist monk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This reaction fascinates me, because it seems to be based entirely on their hairstyles.

Since videogame designers give their protagonists buzz-cuts in order to simplify animation, people with that haircut in real life are now 'generic'.

I know that's the joke, but for me it's the designer stubble that really marks a action hero. I know there's tons of examples otherwise, but I kind of need my hero man to have a 5 o' clock shadow.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel a proper movie hero needs to display several different levels of facial hair throughout a film. He should start out clean shaven, then go through adversity, during which time he grows stubble and then a beard. Then he pushes through the adversity and goes clean shaven again.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Basebf555 posted:

I feel a proper movie hero needs to display several different levels of facial hair throughout a film. He should start out clean shaven, then go through adversity, during which time he grows stubble and then a beard. Then he pushes through the adversity and goes clean shaven again.

Yeah, I feel this way about hero shirts. If you have a white shirt at the start of the movie (or perhaps a white undershirt like Die Hard), that shirt should be brown by the end of the picture with mud, blood, sweat, whatever.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Shaving/buzzing your head has a long history of dehumanization and homogenization prior to video games. That's why Lucas did it in THX-1138, why Fritz Lang did it in Metropolis, and why they make you do it when you become a Buddhist monk.

I would have said 'joined the army' instead of monks, but, yeah, pretty much.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

WarLocke posted:

I would have said 'joined the army' instead of monks, but, yeah, pretty much.

Well lots of times video game protagonists are military so I didn't want to bring that up specifically.

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, I feel this way about hero shirts. If you have a white shirt at the start of the movie (or perhaps a white undershirt like Die Hard), that shirt should be brown by the end of the picture with mud, blood, sweat, whatever.

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade both break this rule. Temple of Doom kinda follows it (he's down to a very stained white shirt by the end, having lost his jacket). The hat always stays clean.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Don't get me wrong, Indiana Jones is seriously my favorite movie series ever, but to be fair Indy's clothes kind of start off dirty when he gets going proper.
E: What I mean to say is it isn't a rule per se, but I like it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Firstborn posted:

Don't get me wrong, Indiana Jones is seriously my favorite movie series ever, but to be fair Indy's clothes kind of start off dirty when he gets going proper.
E: What I mean to say is it isn't a rule per se, but I like it.

I have a similar rule about super hero types and their costumes.

If the hero's costumes isn't utterly wrecked and damaged over the course of the movie, then clearly they're not in much danger!

See RoboCop, Terminator 2, and the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Those Arkham games are fun because Bats' suit and cape gets torn up throughout. And who can forget Arnold's death stare at the end of Predator? Say what you want about Die Hard 3 but the way Willis and Jackson look at the end is awesome. If your action picture is set during a static 8 hour harrowing ride I want to see the suit and tie he thought he was going to work in utterly destroyed by the end.

Bonus points if he has to wipe the broken glass and eco-terrorist's blood off his shirt to go into a bank or department store or something and ask questions and everyone is looking at him funny. I feel like this may have happened at a point in True Lies but I've forgotten.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldSenileGuy posted:

The triumvirate of bland white guys that Hollywood is trying to push as action stars is Joel Kinnaman, Jai Courtney, and Sam Worthington. Of those three, Kinnaman is probably the best and Courtney is the worst.

None of them are really any good though.

I just can't put into words how terrible Sam Worthington is. And to think he was the favorite to be Captain America at one point.

Also Kinnaman is awesome and the new Robocop was a good movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This has been discussed in other Cinema Discusso threads, but yeah, Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney are pretty much Joe Everyman #1 and #2. They're like blank Create-A-Character templates from videogames.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I just can't put into words how terrible Sam Worthington is. And to think he was the favorite to be Captain America at one point.

Also Kinnaman is awesome and the new Robocop was a good movie.

Kinnaman was not what was wrong with the new RoboCop movie, this I will agree with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

Kinnaman was not what was wrong with the new RoboCop movie, this I will agree with.

Pretty sure it was Sam Jackson.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Pretty sure it was Sam Jackson.

And the half assed script and the muddled message and the poor direction and the lack of good villains and

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Robocop was pretty good if you didn't go into the theater expecting to hate it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Robocop was pretty good if you didn't go into the theater expecting to hate it.

The new RoboCop is a decent action movie at best. If that's all you're really looking for, then knock yourself out. It's comparable to the other sequels as well as any could be.

The original is just a drat near perfect movie, for me personally so it's a tall order to make a movie that can be compared to it.

Rather like the Terminator franchise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

The new RoboCop is a decent action movie at best. If that's all you're really looking for, then knock yourself out. It's comparable to the other sequels as well as any could be.

The original is just a drat near perfect movie, for me personally so it's a tall order to make a movie that can be compared to it.

Rather like the Terminator franchise.

Nah, it's actually really interesting in new directions from the original film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Not a better movie though. It goes in different directions though.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

Interesting new directions and remake of an existing movie are somewhat contradictory goals.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bar Crow posted:

Interesting new directions and remake of an existing movie are somewhat contradictory goals.

Which is why most "remakes" aren't really, at least not in the "checklist of plot elements" sense like in super hero movies.

Technically not a remake, but the 2010 version of True Grit says a lot of new and different stuff compared with the John Wayne version despite being based on the same source material.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it, all the trailers and everything lowered my expectations, so I really enjoyed it.

It had just enough set pieces and references from the original movie(s), and took them and turned them on their head. Other than that, the whole plot twist (John Connor), wasn't really a twist. Obviously, in T2 you could say the same thing, had you lived under a rock before seeing it for the first time and not know about Arnold being the good guy.

I liked it. I was 8 years old for 2 hours again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

How was the Arnold vs Arnold fight?

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Just got back from this. My expectations were also quite low and in my mind all it really had to do was be better than Salvation and I can confidently say it was. I actually had decent fun watching this flick. Of course it's not perfect though. I really wish some one else had been cast as Kyle Reese. Ironically the only part I really liked about Salvation was Yelchin's Reese.

Overall I don't think the score set the right mood for most of the movie either, but it was serviceable. And the chemistry between E. Clarke and Courtney wasn't super awesome but I didn't have trouble "buying it" so to speak (but only for external reasons, IE: I'm familiar with the surrounding story- their chemistry together is, unfortunately, not something intrinsically organic to their acting/the script in this movie, etc.)

I also thought the relationship between Sarah and Pops was cute, but we could've used more moments like that.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Xenomrph posted:

How was the Arnold vs Arnold fight?

If you saw the trailer you've basically seen it.

Which is another point of contention, but not an easily avoided one. There's a particular scene in the movie where the tension only works if you're not already aware of the big twist they revealed in the trailer.

If you're (the general you) reading this, and somehow haven't already seen the trailer, TV spots, ads, or what have you, do yourself a favor and go in blind.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was thoroughly entertained by the film, grinning like a kid the whole way through. Not better than the first two, but definitely better than 3 and 4.

They made the T800 terrifying again, at the expense of a T1000 that gets jobbed hard, dying from a shower of superheated water. Really dug the scene where Reese learns he's John's father and has a reasonably strong freakout over it.

Plot wise, I thought it was leading up to a moment where Babby Skynet, seeing all the poo poo going around it, decides to self-terminate itself, but that didn't happen.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 1, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Chalk me up as another one who was pleasantly surprised how good this movie is. Emilia Clarke is a great Sarah Conner. The stuff that got spoiled made it sound dumb, but everything works somehow.

thoughts:

- Dad Arnold was awesome, and is a really good counterweight to the 'AI is bad' thing the series kind of had going for it.
- Emilia Clarke was really good. Really really good. She was better in this than Linda Hamilton was in T1. Not T2 though, that's still the best Sarah Conner.
- The CGI Arnold was astounding. You can tell they were really proud of the close-up shot.
- We finally see humanity win the goddamn war. It's about loving time.
- Let's just kind of forget that Salvation happened, shall we?
- All the timeline stuff is presented as being kind of 'messy', which is a great way to handwave away all the paradoxes that nerds (and I) would normally be obsessed with.
- The effects are great. Nano-terminator looks great.
- Murdering a hapless T-1000 was fun as heck to watch.
- The setup for Pops' return caught me off guard a bit. It was silly and over the top to give the movie a happy ending, but I don't really give a poo poo. After 5 movies, it's nice to see it end.

It won't end.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Enjoyed watching it greatly, but mostly just out of awe at the lack of focus. This is a movie where they swept every idea form the writing room into a bin, then drew each one out and pasted it somewhere in the script. It has more good ideas than the last two movies combined, maybe even than the rest of the franchise. But for every great idea there are two groaners, so the good ideas don't get the screen time they need to be realized.

Reese was bad.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

MisterBibs posted:

... They made the T800 terrifying again, at the expense of a T1000 that gets jobbed hard, dying from a shower of superheated water. ...

It's some sort of acid, which I think makes it even more terrifying.

Was that T-1000 supposed to be the same one that killed Sarah's family at the cabin? It makes sense since they had a trap ready for it, but they must really have gone off the grid if it was forced to wait until 1984 for her to show up again at the arrival of Kyle Reese.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Donnerberg posted:

Was that T-1000 supposed to be the same one that killed Sarah's family at the cabin? It makes sense since they had a trap ready for it, but they must really have gone off the grid if it was forced to wait until 1984 for her to show up again at the arrival of Kyle Reese.

Oh yeah, that was definitely the same T-1000. Looks like they've been lying in wait for 11 years to melt it, too.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

The triumvirate of bland white guys that Hollywood is trying to push as action stars is Joel Kinnaman, Jai Courtney, and Sam Worthington. Of those three, Kinnaman is probably the best and Courtney is the worst.

None of them are really any good though.
Perhaps we could combine Sam Worthington and Joel Kinnaman to make Sam Kinison.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah but it's just a missed opportunity. If we're going to get some mediocre actor I would prefer Scott Adkins. At least he has the action chops for it.

My boy Adkins is loving fantastic, although he seems to struggle if he's not doing a goofy Russian accent.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gonz posted:

This has been discussed in other Cinema Discusso threads, but yeah, Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney are pretty much Joe Everyman #1 and #2. They're like blank Create-A-Character templates from videogames.

Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney should star together in the next The Expendables.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
just got back from seeing it

it... wasn't terrible?

i mean, jai courtney was pretty bad, emilia clarke looked the part but wasn't great overall and jason clarke was pretty good after the twist but otherwise pretty bland but it was fairly entertaining. arnold was spot on and, basically, they should have had more of him and less of kyle and sarah.

like, i though they were going to do this thing where sarah and kyle don't get together based on just how bad they were together but then they did and welp

better than three, far better than four. i'd give it maybe a 6 or 7 out of ten?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It was a glorious trainwreck of a movie but I just can't call it bad because it was insane and enjoyable and the plot partially involves basically like a Futurama spoof of Terminator.

Also apparently Jason Clarke's take on the T10X is basically SMG's take on T4.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Does the 'twist' happen in the first act, at least?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Junkenstein posted:

It's set up in the prologue then actually happens in Act II.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Junkenstein posted:

basically, yeah

you definitely can't fault the film for how it handles terminator battles. they feel appropriately weighty and there's enough details to sell the idea of them being metal monsters in human clothing. for all the fact that the t-1000 seemed to basically be taking it easy, they certainly took advantage of modern CGI to make it feel like an appropriately semi-liquid shapeshifter in a way that it feels like cameron would have liked to had he the technology to do so. the nanotech terminator also felt appropriately distinct from the t1000 despite it being very similar.

i just can't remember the last time i saw a film where i felt the casting really let it down. the best characters are arnold and the old cop.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

After sleeping on it, I can say it was one of the most dour, depressing experiences I believe I've ever seen at the theater. Uh. Christ. I hate this movie. I hate this movie so much. I think if I see one more call back, I might die inside totally.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Trip report. Just sat down for my viewing. Only convenient time was 3D. Ugh, not a 3D fan.

Anyone else watch it in 3D?

Review will go up post viewing.

E: gently caress they have started the preview loop of self promotion and it is super loud. Wtf is wrong with cinemas? No one wants a lovely promo loop at full volume. Horrible user experience and its why I don't go to the movies. Also, popcorn and two sodas is $20. LOLWTF

Stugazi fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

*holds out hand*

Come with me if you want to live. I will pro-tekt you from dis muvie.

• Locked thread