Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Gildiss posted:

I mainly want the plastic ones to set a current baseline for all my poo poo. So when I move next time I can go 'Oh look not everythings fits time to purge some stuff.' And also so bugs and poo poo don't live inside/eat the boxes themselves.

I have my whole garage organized with those tubs, they're pretty great for having a set amount of space for poo poo. But for actual moving boxes beat tubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Is there an ideal way to write a notice to your landlord that you won't be renewing your lease, i.e. things I should mention specifically in writing? It's my first apartment and there's nothing wrong with it, I'd be vacating on good terms.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Chalets the Baka posted:

Is there an ideal way to write a notice to your landlord that you won't be renewing your lease, i.e. things I should mention specifically in writing? It's my first apartment and there's nothing wrong with it, I'd be vacating on good terms.

just say you're not intending on renewing the lease, it's not hard

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Dear Mr Landlord,

My lease ends on 8/1/15. Per the terms of my lease, I am giving you 30 day notice that I won't be staying past this date and will be fully vacated by 8/1/15. Thank you for having me over this past year, I've really enjoyed it!

Chalets T. Baka
6/30/2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Wait, so I don't have to explain why? I thought I had to explain why.

My letter is like three paragraphs long.

EDIT: Just for clarification, this is my notice that I wrote; should I forgoe this and just keep it simple or turn this in?

quote:

To the Managers and Staff of [REDACTED],

This is a written notice in pursuant to the current lease of Apartment 25C notifying you of the following:

1. Termination of lease at least sixty (60) days prior to end of lease term.
2. A move out date, tentatively 8/30/2015 but considered “as soon as possible” if applicable.
3. Early termination of lease if at all possible.

At this time, specifically with two months worth of payments remaining to your company, I no longer feel that this is a safe community for myself, or my friends and family. I no longer desire to live here. I feel you to have shown disrespect towards myself and towards others around me. This is no longer, in my eyes, an environment I want to live in and have chosen to leave; preferably, as soon as it is possible to do so. As you can see above, in the heading of this notice, I already have a new lease with a separate complex, which is where I will be moving soon. This is not an admission of abandonment. I'm still intending on occupying this apartment, against my will, for the remainder of the term or until you so desire that I move out given it be before the established move out date. As it is very difficult for me to be able to come up with the $545 dollars per month on top of my other bills (and may I take the time to remind you that despite removing my roommates from my apartment I still have not been late with my rent) I cannot pay the lump sum of $1090 immediately, the amount remaining on the lease as of 7/1/2015, and as such remain in the position of having to occupy the apartment during that time period. I would rather leave, with the possibility of rendering remaining payments in installments. However, I have my doubts that any consideration to my current abilities will be taken.

The reason that I feel this is no longer a safe and friendly environment for myself and subsequently why I want to leave is the treatment I have received specifically revolving around the removal of my roommates and the absolute utter lack of respect from the staff of [REDACTED]. The removal was unnecessary. When asked what our options were, your staff stated directly that there weren't any, yet the option to have a co-signer was never brought up or discussed. While it was brought up with me ten months ago when I first applied my friends were not given the same option. At the same time I was also threatened verbally for even asking what our options were by a staff member, violently having a finger thrust in my face as I was screamed at. The threat, of course, being eviction. Not to mention that for six months they lived here without any issue. We never tried to hide the fact they were here and we never lied to you about it. They moved in right before the pipe burst in our bathroom which took over a month to fix and even then I had mentioned that I had roommates to your staff as well as all of the contractors who visited. Nothing was said about adding them to the lease or anything of the sort. It was only when your maintenance staff discovered they were a gay couple that we had any issue with them staying here. I find that highly unprofessional and very suspect. Your maintenance team as also shown refusal to repair malfunctioning equipment and doors in the apartment after asking several times to have them repaired. In this I have given up even asking for assistance from the maintenance staff, especially in light of the discrimination they showed to my roommates.

I feel that many of the issues here could have been solved by a simple understanding of my situation and some respect from [REDACTED], but as such I did not receive either and would prefer to leave. I do hope that you show more heart to your tenants in the future, but as it stands I doubt you will ever change and as such will definitely not be recommending your services to anyone I know in the Knoxville area and in fact be warning them about the treatment that I have received. If there are any questions regarding this missive or the opportunity to make arrangements for early dismissal of the lease please call me at the number listed above. Nothing in this letter should be construed as intent to abandon my obligations under the lease agreement. I fully intend to fulfill my obligations under the lease agreement.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 30, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That's really petty and weird, and also you gain nothing from sending that letter. Tell them you will fulfill the remaining portion of the lease, set your move-out date, and move on.

They aren't going to suddenly be like "he's right! We were assholes! Never mind, keep all your money!"

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Well I did intend to be petty, I really just wanted to make them feel terrible.

I'll edit it down, thanks.

EDIT: How is this?

quote:

To the Managers and Staff of [REDACTED],

This is a written notice in pursuant to the current lease of Apartment 25C notifying you of the following:

Termination of lease at least sixty (60) days prior to end of lease term.
A move out date, tentatively 8/30/2015 but considered “as soon as possible” if applicable.
Early termination of lease if at all possible.
Inquiry into the possibility to split remaining payments into installments.

Please contact me at (***) ***-**** if you have any questions or comments.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 30, 2015

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Skunkrocker posted:

How often do you talk to other people in real life?

e: That question was unrelated btw, I totally think you should send that whole manifesto to your landlord and a copy to your local newspaper.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

at the date posted:

How often do you talk to other people in real life?

e: That question was unrelated btw, I totally think you should send that whole manifesto to your landlord and a copy to your local newspaper.

Why do you people have to be such huge jerks when people are honestly asking you for help?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I thought I was legitimately helpful. But you post that here, someone will make fun of you because it's legitimately batshit crazy.

As for your updated one, that's better. If anything I would consider moving the request for early move-out and installment paying to a different document. You don't want to leave your lease-terminating document open to further discussion or interpretation.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

quote:

To whom it may concern:

I intend to allow my lease to expire at the end of the current term and moved out on August 30. Ideally, I would prefer to terminate the lease and move out as soon as possible and would appreciate any accommodation you can make for me. Also, would it be possible to split my remaining rent payments into installments?

Thank you,

Captain Anal-Retentive
(***) ***-****
idiot_bitch at forums dot somethingawful dot com

It's that simple you loving sperg.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When you're being that weird people don't think you're "honestly asking for help." Why on earth would you have to give a reason to move out? Even if you had to give a reason, why would you think it was a good idea to send a manifesto including threats plus complaints about everything down to the time someone pointed at you?

Everyone knows that document only goes to your local newspapers and investigative teams.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Also if I recall your original story, you had roommates living with you who did not sign the lease. Whether or not the landlord was aware of their presence or if you were discriminated against, you still don't have any ground to stand on.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Well I do appreciate the help; I honestly do. And, again, yeah the long winded missive was me just being petty. The whole situation still pisses me off. I mean, they loving lied to me. Even if I had read through the entire lease (I learned my lesson on that one and the next lease I signed I spent 30 minutes reading that fucker thoroughly) the fact of the matter is there were options for my roommates to continue living there through the lease, we were flat out told no, and it's bullshit. And it's bullshit they let them "slide" for six months and they only changed their tune after that one day. I mean I got another notice from them (labeled as the third one) about the apartment being trashed, it literally said on this one that there was "food left out." The food in question was a pan pizza I was eating at the time that I had ordered from loving Dominos! I don't know where they keep getting this "your apartment is trashed" BS, unless they're just making poo poo up, and I'm willing to sink to their level and be a dick right back.

BUT as you pointed out, they won't be willing to play ball with me IF I'm being a jerk about it, so instead I turned the notice in with a smile on my face and a have a nice day and wasn't a jerk.

And then this guy shows up and insults me and is all like "it's not hard", uh yeah it is hard fool if it wasn't I wouldn't be here asking about it now would I? Had I not noticed someone else asking about it, I probably would have turned that gigantic essay in now wouldn't have I and caused myself more trouble? rear end in a top hat.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Skunkrocker posted:

Here's the issue: they won't give a poo poo. They won't feel bad, they'll still get their money and you'll be wasting your time and creating an even tenser relationship until you are able to move out. Also I thought you were being evicted? Why are you bothering to fight it and pay rent instead of just leaving?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
When I moved out of my last place they gave me two forms to fill out near the end of my lease. I could fill out one to renew, or the other to move out. The move out form had boxes to check to give your reason for moving out, but I didn't check any. The lady in the office called me and left a voicemail saying I had to give a reason. I never called her back yet somehow I still moved out. HTH.

Real Advice: Include your forwarding address.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Xandu posted:

Here's the issue: they won't give a poo poo. They won't feel bad, they'll still get their money and you'll be wasting your time and creating an even tenser relationship until you are able to move out. Also I thought you were being evicted? Why are you bothering to fight it and pay rent instead of just leaving?
1. I'm not being evicted yet. They're threatening it, but it's not actually an eviction.
2. I don't want an eviction on my history, nor do I want a lawsuit.

Guy Axlerod posted:

When I moved out of my last place they gave me two forms to fill out near the end of my lease. I could fill out one to renew, or the other to move out. The move out form had boxes to check to give your reason for moving out, but I didn't check any. The lady in the office called me and left a voicemail saying I had to give a reason. I never called her back yet somehow I still moved out. HTH.

Real Advice: Include your forwarding address.

I did, along with a disclaimer that I wasn't abandoning just in case they thought I was.

EDIT: to clarify, roomies and I already got a new apartment. Everything is moved over there already except like fifteen or so items. Working on cleaning the apartment and getting it ready for a guy to come by and take pictures of the damages and other concerns.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 30, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Never be a jerk, and never write gigantic furious essays (whether or not you're making up the events). There you go, I saved you a lot of trouble in your life.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I'm moving cross country soon: I found a furnished apartment on Craigslist in my destination city and applied after briefly talking with the landlord on the phone. He's given me a copy of the lease to sign and also wants a security deposit within a couple days along with the signed lease. The lease will be month to month. Given that I have neither seen the apartment nor met the guy in person, how shady is this situation? Is there stuff I should be doing to check the veracity of all this?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Anachronist posted:

I'm moving cross country soon: I found a furnished apartment on Craigslist in my destination city and applied after briefly talking with the landlord on the phone. He's given me a copy of the lease to sign and also wants a security deposit within a couple days along with the signed lease. The lease will be month to month. Given that I have neither seen the apartment nor met the guy in person, how shady is this situation? Is there stuff I should be doing to check the veracity of all this?

It's not necessarily sketchy, a security deposit is pretty standard and so is signing a lease. If you can't check out the place yourself or get a friend to, I'd propose to the landlord waiting to give him the security deposit until after you move in.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Anachronist posted:

Potentially very shady. Is he offering to mail the keys? Could be he's trying to sell a listing he doesn't own for the security deposit. Offer escrow, see if he bails.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Anachronist posted:

Might be.
People will put tours on YouTube sometimes. I would think the property management company has a website as well. Pay via check / money order / etc so you have some recourse if it turns out shady. Ask the guy if he'll send a video of the place in lieu of the walk in inspection you can't do before signing the lease?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anachronist posted:

I'd be more concerned about a month to month lease. Any landlord that you rent with is going to want a security deposit to hold the apartment so if you flake and don't show up to move in he can cover some of his losses.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
To the guy who's having trouble for having 2 sublessees:

Even boilerplate leases usually prohibit subleasing. However, you should see that it's legal and enforceable in your jurisdiction. It probably is, but some more pro-tenant states and cities don't allow subleasing prohibition.

Also in some jurisdictions, if the landlord becomes aware of lease violations but continues to allow it for a period of time without demanding that the tenant correct the issue, it then becomes an allowable alteration of the lease terms. For example, becomes aware of a pet and doesn't demand its removal. Do you have proof that the management was aware of your roommates and continued to allow them to stay? Like they've submitted maintenance requests or paid their rent directly.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Thanks for the quick responses. He isn't offering to mail the keys. I should clarify that the need for a security deposit isn't surprising to me but that I'm trying to be cautious of possible scams. There isn't a property management company involved, he seems to be just a small-time landlord. Googling his name does turn up the address of the place as associated with him at least, and the craigslist exterior photos match streetview as well. Using an escrow seems like an excellent idea, I'll look into that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It's about 110 fahrenheit outside. I got home two hours ago with the AC set to 82; I set it to 77, business as usual. I just checked it, and it's cooled just under one degree in those two hours. This is with all the windows closed, blinds shut, vents open, and the sun behind a tree nearby.

Is this remotely normal? I've never bothered to check because usually I get home so late that the house is already down to 77 (thanks programmable thermostat).

(eta: this is a 1000 sqft 2nd floor apartment, central cooling)

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Ciaphas posted:

It's about 110 fahrenheit outside. I got home two hours ago with the AC set to 82; I set it to 77, business as usual. I just checked it, and it's cooled just under one degree in those two hours. This is with all the windows closed, blinds shut, vents open, and the sun behind a tree nearby.

Is this remotely normal? I've never bothered to check because usually I get home so late that the house is already down to 77 (thanks programmable thermostat).

Is the 2nd floor the top floor? I lived in a top floor apartment in similar temperatures with central AC and that sounds pretty much the same as my experience. I just assumed I had a mediocre AC because that thing struggled.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, it's the top floor. The bottom is entirely given over to garages.

Shoot. :(

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

In my experience, yes, especially if you're the top floor like ladyweapon asked. My place is at the top of a firetrap enclosed stairwell and it just spends all day accumulating heat and feeds it in all night. The only solution I've found is strategic window opening/fans/nudity.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Anachronist posted:

Thanks for the quick responses. He isn't offering to mail the keys. I should clarify that the need for a security deposit isn't surprising to me but that I'm trying to be cautious of possible scams. There isn't a property management company involved, he seems to be just a small-time landlord. Googling his name does turn up the address of the place as associated with him at least, and the craigslist exterior photos match streetview as well. Using an escrow seems like an excellent idea, I'll look into that.
My gut says it's legit. If your gut says it's legit, I'd say you're good.

I have actually done this before, I have units in a Navy town and some sailors dislike barracks so much that they line up an apartment while still at sea. I usually do a 12 month lease, but in these instances I wave it for a month-to-month lease because I want you to have some way out if you get here and decide it's not your cup of tea.

I don't think he'll buy the escrow thing, but if he will it's a great idea.

You can call the county recorders office and ask who the owner is for a particular piece of property, they will usually give it over the phone.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Just in case, Ciaphas, you should check the filter in your AC. It's probably not the cause of the problem, but if it's clogged it sure isn't helping.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

Just in case, Ciaphas, you should check the filter in your AC. It's probably not the cause of the problem, but if it's clogged it sure isn't helping.

Yeah, I changed it last week to see if it would help; no dice. Maintenance is coming round today to take a quick look at the central unit, but I'm not expecting much anymore. :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, I changed it last week to see if it would help; no dice. Maintenance is coming round today to take a quick look at the central unit, but I'm not expecting much anymore. :(

If you don't have a fancy laser thermometer, stick a kitchen one in a vent. If the air isn't coming out around 50 or lower your AC ain't going so good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got an email from the maintenance folks today, said that to complete the work order they "Replaced Capacitor". No information on what capacitor replaced, and I don't know dick about A/C units; is that likely to have done anything to solve my problem or are they blowing smoke? I don't get to leave work for another hour and they're busy/not answering the phone.

toplitzin posted:

If you don't have a fancy laser thermometer, stick a kitchen one in a vent. If the air isn't coming out around 50 or lower your AC ain't going so good.

If necessary I'll pick one up if I can on the way home tonight and do just that, thank you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I got an email from the maintenance folks today, said that to complete the work order they "Replaced Capacitor". No information on what capacitor replaced, and I don't know dick about A/C units; is that likely to have done anything to solve my problem or are they blowing smoke? I don't get to leave work for another hour and they're busy/not answering the phone.

If necessary I'll pick one up if I can on the way home tonight and do just that, thank you.

Yes it's a very common point of failure on ACs. The capacitor is used to start the compressor.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got a laser thermometer and all the vents measure about 65 degrees once the AC's been on for about 30 minutes. Still takes five or six hours in the afternoon to cool the apartment down from 82 to 77, by my measure, but if there's cool air coming out of the vents and the AC seems to be starting and stopping normally, I guess there's not much else to be done.

:shrug:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 2, 2015

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Air coming out of the vents should be 20F lower than the air going in the intake. If that's true, the A/C is working correctly.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There could be a vent that is pumping out a large volume of the sweet sweet cold air into a room or closet that doesnt really need to be cooled. Could try closing some vents to get a stronger flow into the rooms you want to focus on.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I moved out on May 30th, and VT law says I'm to have my SD and a list of any charges to me within 14 days, and my old property manager hasn't done that yet. I emailed him on the 12th saying it hadn't arrived, and he said he was putting it in the mail tomorrow. I didn't get it by the 19th and sent another email, reminding him of the 14 day law. He says he put in in the mail the day he said, and to just wait a couple more days (:rolleyes:). Well, it still wasn't there as of the 22nd, so I sent another email, and he said it must have gotten lost in the mail or something (suuuuure it did), so he'd cancel the first one and send me a second one.

Quoting myself here for an update, still no SD check as of July 2. He canceled the first one and claims to have sent a second one by certified mail to my PO Box on the 27th. Even if he didn't mail it until the 29th, it should have arrived by now (it was only going one town over, and to a PO Box, to boot, so shouldn't take more than 2 days.)

Monday is the latest I'll give him, then I'll ask to get it in person, because he's clearly incapable of sending mail like a normal member of society (must be a goon.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

photomikey posted:

Air coming out of the vents should be 20F lower than the air going in the intake. If that's true, the A/C is working correctly.

Gonna be dumb here, by intake do you mean the vent inside the house where I put my AC filter (the "return" I guess) or the outside air where the compressor/blower unit is?