Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

You seem awfully upset about me pointing out research. I mean at least I am bringing something to the table. Also, people keep bringing up that abstract without actually going in depth to what the article actually is saying.

http://kotaku.com/what-to-make-of-a-study-about-gaming-and-sexism-1698543308

A key thing the researchers went in thinking they'd find a link (like the decades of scientists before them) because that's what they thought and wanted to prove. In this case it's best to trust the data, which is the same as any other major media studies, that showing titties even anime titties doesn't affect person's view or treatment of women.

Also it's been the other GG apologist posters actually posting studies for the most part, not the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

NutritiousSnack posted:

A key thing the researchers went in thinking they'd find a link (like the decades of scientists before them) because that's what they thought and wanted to prove. In this case it's best to trust the data, which is the same as any other major media studies, that showing titties even anime titties doesn't affect person's view or treatment of women.

hm. on the other hand: the entirety of your existence

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

NutritiousSnack posted:

Also it's been the other GG apologist posters actually posting studies for the most part, not the other way around.

Yeah, stealing them too, great job Gamergate! Also it's too bad D&D and comics were killed in the 80s :allears:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NutritiousSnack posted:

Posting studies that don't actually support their claims in any way. Which is really like not posting any studies at all if you think about it, except that it wastes everyone's time.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Tezzor posted:

Sincere question: Do you think there is some combination of words in the library of babel that might make me believe for a moment that you are motivated here by concern for women instead of people saying mean words about the silly corporate fuckandroid you can't even touch

Your the only person who defends sweat shops if they create t shirts for affluent white feminists in the West.

Actually make an argument on how sexuality depictions of women in media is universally bad no matter the circumstances and manner, then whatever debate. Don't try to go meta poster on the nature of the opposition given your actual history of "discussion" on this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Posting studies that don't actually support their claims in any way. Which is really like not posting any studies at all if you think about it, except that it wastes everyone's time.

The study found no link to sexualized depictions of women to an increase of sexism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

Here is another video people should watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLNhPMQnWu4

Protip: This applies to both sides.

The funny thing about this is that the "enemies of the left" he lists are all despicable people who are responsible for many ills in society, and the "enemies of the right" are people in pursuit of correct goals. Unsurprisingly, Cleese could not penetrate this because he was and is the personification of stuffy cluelessness when it comes to social issues. Indeed one could call many of his pieces the precursor to lovely South Park reasoning.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Cheesecake, in a vacuum, is not a bad thing.

The problem is that we don't operate in a vacuum, and a large proportion of female video game characters seem to exist solely to titillate rather than be actual people within a narrative. That affects people's perception of it as a genre and its audience (it's immature and for sex-starved teenage boys).

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Your the only person who defends sweat shops if they create t shirts for affluent white feminists in the West.

Actually make an argument on how sexuality depictions of women in media is universally bad no matter the circumstances and manner, then whatever debate. Don't try to go meta poster on the nature of the opposition given your actual history of "discussion" on this.

How strange to find a gater throw out a weak accusation of hypocrisy based on half-remembered slander by idiots in an attempt to discredit his obvious better, rather than defend his shithead opinions. These are roughly as rare as atoms on the surface of the earth

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NutritiousSnack posted:

The study found no link to sexualized depictions of women to an increase of sexism.

Yes, one singular study that also did not conclude that such a thing could be ruled out. It's really weird that you would keep forgetting to include that very important tidbit. I wonder if it's because you're lazy, stupid, or a liar? My bet's on a combination of all three!

And you know there's an edit button right? And that you don't have to keep hitting reply like a spaz.

EDIT

VVVVVV
Oh my god you are just too precious. :allears:

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 30, 2015

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Weirdo posted:

Yeah, stealing them too, great job Gamergate! Also it's too bad D&D and comics were killed in the 80s :allears:

They weren't killed because a vocal group of supporters stood up to defend them and the dumb critique being leveled at them. Kind of like now with gaming.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Who What Now posted:

Yes, one singular study that also did not conclude that such a thing could be ruled out. It's really weird that you would keep forgetting to include that very important tidbit. I wonder if it's because you're lazy, stupid, or a liar? My bet's on a combination of all three!

And you know there's an edit button right? And that you don't have to keep hitting reply like a spaz.

Almost no studies conclude a thing could be ruled out. If this is your standard of argument for the debate and discussion forums, it's utterly hilarious because it flies in the face of most of the collected evidence accumulated in every thread present.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

They weren't killed because a vocal group of supporters stood up to defend them and the dumb critique being leveled at them. Kind of like now with gaming.

Not even going to touch the topic of stealing or is that a sacred cow w.r.t 4chan culture?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Not So Fast posted:

Cheesecake, in a vacuum, is not a bad thing.

The problem is that we don't operate in a vacuum, and a large proportion of female video game characters seem to exist solely to titillate rather than be actual people within a narrative. That affects people's perception of it as a genre and its audience (it's immature and for sex-starved teenage boys).

yeah so we need more male video game characters with their balls hanging out, i said that already

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Weirdo posted:

Not even going to touch the topic of stealing or is that a sacred cow w.r.t 4chan culture?

I didn't steal anything, and the fact you want to hysterically complain about a study making its way onto the internet is a hilarious attempt to redirect the discussion.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

natetimm posted:

Almost no studies conclude a thing could be ruled out.

Many studies conclude a thing can be ruled out.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

natetimm posted:

Just to clarify, the "dumb critique" of gaming you are referring to is that games are generally too violent? Or that they are generally sexist?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

I didn't steal anything, and the fact you want to hysterically complain about a study making its way onto the internet is a hilarious attempt to redirect the discussion.

Like comparing 80s moral panics to Gamergate? And I was asking about Gamergators stealing studies, the side you seem to defending.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Obdicut posted:

Look, all the evidence in the presented study points in the same direction multiple studies on the effect of fiction has for years. The fact that people still desperately clutch to the fact that is hasn't been ruled out completely is pretty indicative of them believing what they want to in the face of contradicting data.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Weirdo posted:

Like comparing 80s moral panics to Gamergate?

80s moral panics are the moral panics of the left today. It's a different group of people doing it, but it's still the same bullshit using the same lack of evidence to prop up political stances.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

80s moral panics are the moral panics of the left today. It's a different group of people doing it, but it's still the same bullshit using the same lack of evidence to prop up political stances.

So this really is just a left-versus-right thing? Maybe as a Gamergator you can explain why the gently caress anyone thinks Ted Beale is great figurehead.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Tezzor posted:

don't criticize this woman's clothing unless you are some kind of puritan opposed to women's bodies. sistah's doin it for herself!! *sistah is a 100% fictional character deliberately designed and marketed to appeal to juvenile male sexuality in a corporate studio atmosphere assuredly upwards of 90% male*

are you copying wholecloth from your hellthread posts now?

Clipperton posted:

yeah so we need more male video game characters with their balls hanging out, i said that already

I agree!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Not an Owl posted:

Just to clarify, the "dumb critique" of gaming you are referring to is that games are generally too violent? Or that they are generally sexist?

The dumb critique is that having tropes, clichés, or any sort of representation of "wrong think" in fantasy is somehow poisoning the minds of people. It's bullshit when the right does it, and it's bullshit when the left does it. People don't need to be protected from offensive things in fantasy by political agents.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Who What Now posted:

There have been a multitude of these studies that found no link between violence, sexism, or the like in any form of media.

Add that

This was study was commissioned for openly political reasons believing they'd find one.

No scientific study is going to do that period with a concept as broad as sexism.

Obdicut posted:

Please post the definitive studies ruling out media doesn't effect aggression or sexism in it's audience. Because you will but only but ones commissioned by political groups innovating free speech and the like, with those defintive statements widely ignored.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 30, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

natetimm posted:

The dumb critique is that having tropes, clichés, or any sort of representation of "wrong think" in fantasy is somehow poisoning the minds of people. It's bullshit when the right does it, and it's bullshit when the left does it. People don't need to be protected from offensive things in fantasy by political agents.

Unless of course those things are women that don't have their tits hanging out.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Also let me go ahead here:

NutritiousSnack posted:

Actually make an argument on how sexuality depictions of women in media is universally bad no matter the circumstances and manner, then whatever debate.

Sexualization of women in media may or may not be bad depending on the circumstances or manner. There are too many factors to claim it's "good" or "bad" in all circumstances in theory or practice. Which if you were basically sapient and capable of understanding basic concepts you would know is not under dispute. What I am criticizing is not Any Sexualized Woman in Any Media Ever. What I am criticizing is this hilarious idea that some busty dead-eyed tittygolem whose design, construction, puppetteering, and every thought and word was designed and built by men for men under the orders of other men, is actually a symbol of female empowerment. Do you even believe that?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Tezzor posted:

Also let me go ahead here:

Sexualization of women in media may or may not be bad depending on the circumstances or manner. There are too many factors to claim it's "good" or "bad" in all circumstances in theory or practice. Which if you were basically sapient and capable of understanding basic concepts you would know is not under dispute. What I am criticizing is not Any Sexualized Woman in Any Media Ever. What I am criticizing is this hilarious idea that some busty dead-eyed tittygolem whose design, construction, puppetteering, and every thought and word was designed and built by men for men under the orders of other men, is actually a symbol of female empowerment. Do you even believe that?

Well if you WANT to talk about WWE divas we need a new thread!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

There have been a multitude of these studies that found no link between violence, sexism, or the like in any form of media.

Add that

This was study was commissioned for openly political reasons believing they'd find one.

No scientific study is going to do that period with a concept as broad as sexism.

These studies are mostly useless anyway. People's beliefs are affected by the sum of everything they experience, rather than an immediate reaction to a single bit of media. The only way you could get a conclusive study on this sort of thing is if you adopted a bunch of young children and carefully controlled what media they were allowed to watch for years.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Ddraig posted:

Unless of course those things are women that don't have their tits hanging out.

That's the rub though, isn't it? The overwhelming response to people complaining about journalists in this thread has been if you don't like them don't read them, but then that entire mindset gets thrown out the window when it comes to consuming video games because apparently they are the true devil that needs to be stamped out through political action. You can't have it both ways. Either it's open season on both journalists and games in the political arena, or it's neither.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

natetimm posted:

I don't think it poisons the mind or anything. Just seems kinda dumb. If you're gonna have a bunch of sex in a witcher game showing triss in her full glory and then shying away from showing geralt's dick strikes me as a bit off.

I guess that's how it is in Poland tho.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Panzeh posted:

I don't think it poisons the mind or anything. Just seems kinda dumb. If you're gonna have a bunch of sex in a witcher game showing triss in her full glory and then shying away from showing geralt's dick strikes me as a bit off.

I guess that's how it is in Poland tho.

This is a reasonable opinion. The idea that showing naked women in TW3 is somehow oppressive or causing societal problems is not.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Zerilan posted:

The only way you could get a conclusive study on this sort of thing is if you adopted a bunch of young children and carefully controlled what media they were allowed to watch for years.

Which is the problem honestly, but what we can gleam from science is media has substantially small effect on the human psyche and it's biological factors and in person interaction that shape what a person acts like, not the Simpsons.

Ironically this might be why trolling and online behavior is so toxic but common. It's impossible for most people to continuously humanize people who they will never see or hear or interact without doing so directly.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

natetimm posted:

This is a reasonable opinion. The idea that showing naked women in TW3 is somehow oppressive or causing societal problems is not.

I think how much people get outraged over a few critics that would like for games to have less naked women in them is more showing of societal problems than the content of the games themselves.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NutritiousSnack posted:

Same, when a man sees a women displaying, ugh sexuality, it overrides other character traits. We have know admitting sexuality or display it without shame might give women or men a non warped perception of but pride, self esteem, and sensuality are things no real woman feels.

When 90% of women in video games look like that, this tends to be true.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Zerilan posted:

I think how much people get outraged over a few critics that would like for games to have less naked women in them is more showing of societal problems than the content of the games themselves.

There's nothing wrong with naked women other than people who have internalized puritanical American views on sex and crapped them back out into a box marked "feminism".

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

natetimm posted:

Would a thoughtful critique be that tropes, cliches, and offensive representations of women in fantasy are regressive? That women should be able to play a fantasy game and experience positive depictions of her sex as often as men experience positive depictions of their sex? That game developers should avoid sexist cliches because it is disappointing for women to play such games and only encounter the same tired and negative portrayals of their sex?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tezzor posted:

How strange to find a gater throw out a weak accusation of hypocrisy based on half-remembered slander by idiots in an attempt to discredit his obvious better, rather than defend his shithead opinions. These are roughly as rare as atoms on the surface of the earth

You did defend sweat shops and their wages though, then turned around and accused everyone else of pretending to care about feminism when they called you on it. :iiam:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Not an Owl posted:

Would a thoughtful critique be that tropes, cliches, and offensive representations of women in fantasy are regressive? That women should be able to play a fantasy game and experience positive depictions of her sex as often as men experience positive depictions of their sex? That game developers should avoid sexist cliches because it is disappointing for women to play such games and only encounter the same tired and negative portrayals of their sex?

Every game doesn't have to be specifically tailored to this mindset and there are plenty that fit the bill nicely. That fact that some don't is neither regressive or bad, it's a matter of taste.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've been in Computer Science and the surrounding culture for almost 15 years and I have yet to find an effective counter to troll culture. They evolve just as fast as the medium. Short of removing anonymity entirely, or drastically increasing the powers of net surveillance, it's basically whackamole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

only when i can play this in a video game will we be truly free

• Locked thread