Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

I want to emulate android on my computer so I can play more dumb games. What program works the best for that? I tried bluestacks over a year ago and it was pretty trash but I don't know if it's better now or not.

I've had good experiences with Andy:

http://www.andyroid.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I've been Unixing too long.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Re: Battle Gems Of War guild invites, the max guild size is 30 and it takes a while to get there, so people will probably be invited one by one as the guild size grows (it's currently 10.)

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

InShaneee posted:

Can you root Andy? I used to play Kairosoft games on Bluestacks until it stopped working, and being able to root it so that I could use CheatEngine and bypass some of the more bullshit parts of some the games was a godsend.

Unless it works unrooted, I guess.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

delfin posted:

1) Is there a make-gold-fast mechanism other than "be in a guild that gets poo poo done?" I'm not doing badly so far (day 2, four kingdoms open, cleared some challenges, ran Treasure Hunt a few times and did okay, daily bonuses) but I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. PvP is understandably risky, and quest-complete bonuses aren't going up appreciably.

Gonna ask this again because, well, I'm pretty much out. Kingdom opening costs keep going up, TH maps are fairly rare and mostly luck unless there's some ubercascade build no one's speaking of, and I'm sitting here waiting for my daily bonus. I had to PvP a couple of times to get enough gold to open my next kingdom and have enough gold to quest there once or twice. I thought about cheesing with Tyra to earn gold, but that's not very workable as you can't repeat easy levels and she's pretty fragile.

On the plus side, the game is pretty easy so far. I've only lost twice, once in story mode against a boss and once in PvP against a rather clever build that used a boss card (Webspinner) and support cards to basically turn half the board green over and over and chain cast some Venom spell.

Also amused that story mode starts you off with someone vaguely noble (Luther) and then lets you play janitor for a procession of horribly broken people. So far, I've met Sparkgrinder the extremely mad dwarf golembuilder, Atlanta the runaway ship captain, Rowanne the dryad who's dooming her whole forest, Tyri the self-absorbed thief, Elwyn the tone-deaf bard, and Ferit. Oh god Ferit. "Hi, I hate slavers and I have amnesia. Let's kill all the slavers who all seem to know me. Oh, I was a slaver. Oh, I helped snuff slaves to feed a ritual to bring back a Great Old One. Let's stop that ritual. Okay, now let's DO the ritual because I want to look at the Great Old One and become insane again."

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

delfin posted:

Gonna ask this again because, well, I'm pretty much out. Kingdom opening costs keep going up, TH maps are fairly rare and mostly luck unless there's some ubercascade build no one's speaking of, and I'm sitting here waiting for my daily bonus. I had to PvP a couple of times to get enough gold to open my next kingdom and have enough gold to quest there once or twice. I thought about cheesing with Tyra to earn gold, but that's not very workable as you can't repeat easy levels and she's pretty fragile.

On the plus side, the game is pretty easy so far. I've only lost twice, once in story mode against a boss and once in PvP against a rather clever build that used a boss card (Webspinner) and support cards to basically turn half the board green over and over and chain cast some Venom spell.

Also amused that story mode starts you off with someone vaguely noble (Luther) and then lets you play janitor for a procession of horribly broken people. So far, I've met Sparkgrinder the extremely mad dwarf golembuilder, Atlanta the runaway ship captain, Rowanne the dryad who's dooming her whole forest, Tyri the self-absorbed thief, Elwyn the tone-deaf bard, and Ferit. Oh god Ferit. "Hi, I hate slavers and I have amnesia. Let's kill all the slavers who all seem to know me. Oh, I was a slaver. Oh, I helped snuff slaves to feed a ritual to bring back a Great Old One. Let's stop that ritual. Okay, now let's DO the ritual because I want to look at the Great Old One and become insane again."

I like the Lady Vampire who you kill people for for no particular reason other than her asking you to do it. I'm pretty well convinced we're being charmed or mind controlled throughout that scenario but it turns out well.

The game seems pretty generous with drops, too. You get the storyline character as a playable card with at the end of the zone's questline, and they're all pretty beefy. Plus, I got a magic key from.. something. Think I saved up and bought it. It gave me this ultra badass named Raven whose power is R/B 6 damage (at whatever level I am), but if it kills the target, he gets "most of" the gems back. At the level I am, he gets enough back that one more match with Red or Blue will top him off again, so he's a great finisher- AE the opposing group and use him to finish everyone off. Plus, he's pretty tough on his own. Great pull.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

InShaneee posted:

I'm giving this a try and attempting to play Gems of War but the game crashes immediately after putting in a name. :negative:

I just want to play games that my lovely tablet can't run well drat it.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Deakul posted:

I'm giving this a try and attempting to play Gems of War but the game crashes immediately after putting in a name. :negative:

Mine crashes in the exact same place :(

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I like the Lady Vampire who you kill people for for no particular reason other than her asking you to do it. I'm pretty well convinced we're being charmed or mind controlled throughout that scenario but it turns out well.

The game seems pretty generous with drops, too. You get the storyline character as a playable card with at the end of the zone's questline, and they're all pretty beefy. Plus, I got a magic key from.. something. Think I saved up and bought it. It gave me this ultra badass named Raven whose power is R/B 6 damage (at whatever level I am), but if it kills the target, he gets "most of" the gems back. At the level I am, he gets enough back that one more match with Red or Blue will top him off again, so he's a great finisher- AE the opposing group and use him to finish everyone off. Plus, he's pretty tough on his own. Great pull.

Khedar (far east) has a pretty noble dude there who just wants to stop people getting murdered by the undead.

Most purple cards you can get through area quests, they are indeed all pretty beefy, but some of them are questionable in how useful they are. This week you can buy a decently buff purple from the Honor store for 80, so pick that up.

You can sometimes get magic keys from gold vaults (ultimate treasure tiles) in TH. Bag -> Brown -> Green -> Red -> Vault.

For those in the guild, keep pumping cash into the tasks and they start giving better rewards- the level 30something guild I was in before hopping over had tasks that gave 6 keys, 10-ish gems or 2-3 maps a time. Whether you get your investment back is dependent on how many in the guild are pulling their weight with donations, and we get better daily cash if we hop up the leaderboards into higher divisions so PvP away.

Luther (Broken Spire reward) is loving amazing, his skill when maxed gives everyone on your team FIVE higher attack per use. That's a big deal! So I was a bit miffed to find out that my second orange pull shared his mana type (blue/brown) meaning I can't use it because Luther :(.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Cryohazard posted:

Khedar (far east) has a pretty noble dude there who just wants to stop people getting murdered by the undead.

Most purple cards you can get through area quests, they are indeed all pretty beefy, but some of them are questionable in how useful they are. This week you can buy a decently buff purple from the Honor store for 80, so pick that up.

You can sometimes get magic keys from gold vaults (ultimate treasure tiles) in TH. Bag -> Brown -> Green -> Red -> Vault.

For those in the guild, keep pumping cash into the tasks and they start giving better rewards- the level 30something guild I was in before hopping over had tasks that gave 6 keys, 10-ish gems or 2-3 maps a time. Whether you get your investment back is dependent on how many in the guild are pulling their weight with donations, and we get better daily cash if we hop up the leaderboards into higher divisions so PvP away.

Luther (Broken Spire reward) is loving amazing, his skill when maxed gives everyone on your team FIVE higher attack per use. That's a big deal! So I was a bit miffed to find out that my second orange pull shared his mana type (blue/brown) meaning I can't use it because Luther :(.

Anyone get to the Goblin kingdom yet? For some reason I love my little goblin team, but I want their banner buff...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah I haven't bothered with flags, all my dudes are from random regions..

I don't know why the game is so compelling to me, it's "just another match-3" but it seems more gentle and generous than others while maintaining some level of challenge.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I tried out PvP in earnest today and shot up to Champion in a hurry. If you don't attack obvious heavy hitters it's pretty easy, as going first in every fight and not having the CPU's AI are big advantages.

Resource: The official site has a list of all troops with rarity, skill and upgrade info.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
We unlocked an eleventh spot in the guild. I will go back through the thread and try to invite the earliest post.

PVP seems like the goto for gold farming. Each match is double or nothing. Not bad.

The vampire lady has a great ability. Unlock her if you need a good yellow/brown (white/black) troop. She does some modest true damage (ignores armor) and buffs her life and attack significantly.

Other than her, I got a vampire hunter epic from a magic key. She is R/P, and has a high damage (8 at level 7) attack that gives me a soul.

My last guy is a sphinx who shuffles the board and gives me an extra turn to exploit it.

E: is ANTTI a goon? I invited a lot of people. Log in and win the prize!

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 29, 2015

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
BOOYAH, stole the spot. Gave most of my money to almost finish a task. You guys better not gently caress me on this.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The Out There: Omega Edition update is finally out for the mobile version of the game. It features a bunch of things including a visual facelift, new encounters and stories, and a new ending.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
when a spot opens up invite SHUFFLE to the gems guild please

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Deakul posted:

I'm the goon that had the same problem and posted earlier. Restarted my phone and the app let me input the name.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Gems of War has acknowledged the crash issues exist; I'm told that's why it's been pulled from the Play store for later Samsung devices.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Popular and well reviewed iOS MOBA Vainglory is now out for Androids.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 30, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

InShaneee posted:

Can it emulate phones or is it just tablets?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Fun Shoe

AG3 posted:

Can you root Andy? I used to play Kairosoft games on Bluestacks until it stopped working, and being able to root it so that I could use CheatEngine and bypass some of the more bullshit parts of some the games was a godsend.

Google tells me it can be rooted, though I haven't tried it myself.

Paladinus posted:

I think it's just got the tablet mode.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

AG3 posted:

Theres an .exe package (search the facebook page for rootkit 4.0) that will root it while it's running and install Xposed + a few other options like adaway if you choose to install them.

Paladinus posted:

It can switch between portrait and landscape.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What's a good Android app emulator that can run without issues on a lovely laptop? Google keeps finding articles recommending Bluestacks, but even trying to turn it on grinds the computer to a hold, and it crashes within minutes.

Also, does your emulator of choice have a way to replicate two-finger screen gestures (squeezing something or flicking it away)?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Xander77 posted:

What's a good Android app emulator that can run without issues on a lovely laptop? Google keeps finding articles recommending Bluestacks, but even trying to turn it on grinds the computer to a hold, and it crashes within minutes.

Also, does your emulator of choice have a way to replicate two-finger screen gestures (squeezing something or flicking it away)?

I use Genymotion for work, but it's a bit sluggish and playing games on it would require a substantial amount of fiddling, I imagine. But it emulates a variety real devices and is objectively better than emulators that come with Android SDK.

I also tried Andy today, and if it supported phone emulation and could be rooted on Mac, it would be the best. Still, pretty much ideal for gaming purposes from what I gathered.

E: Oh, and I think pretty much all emulators support multi-touch gestures in one way or another.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Considering the popularity of answering random Google surveys for pocket change, some people might be interested in Star Wars Card Trader. The game gives you enough free credits every two days days or so that you can get chance at a digital trading card you can sell off for at least 50 cents on eBay, and possibly more depending on the rarity of what you get out of it. I pulled one a day ago that sells for $2.50 or so, and most often you'd be looking at about a dollar if the card sells.

I think I saw someone talking about Topps BUNT earlier in this thread. It is pretty much like that, but no game component, just straight up collection. As for BUNT, it is always getting updated and there seems to be more stuff that sells for high prices, but the free daily payout isn't quite as good so it can take longer to get enough points to have a chance at pulling a card that might sell.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Is there a streamlined/easy way to sell the cards from those apps? Anytime I think about selling stuff on Ebay it just reminds me of scammers and the p-p-p-powerbook and I don't want to deal with anything like that.

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510

mrkillboy posted:

Popular and well reviewed iOS MOBA Vainglory is now out for Androids.

I was in the beta testing for this. I enjoyed it.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Tried Vainglory, it is very fun and a really good way to port the MOBA experience to mobile but while you can play it on a phone it's meant for tablet. I wouldn't recommend playing it on a phone last hitting minions is incredibly hard on a tiny screen.

It is incredibly fast pace and fun.
Edit: bad grammar

EzEight fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 30, 2015

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Gems of War chat:

Arena is fun, and the rewards are pretty great. I went 8-0 on my first draft, which pays out 1500g (net gain of 500), 400 souls, and a couple of keys. This is by far the fastest way to gain souls that I have found so far besides the Treasure Hunt. Assuming you can win, which is pretty easy since the AI makes bad, or at least predictable, choices.

So after my amazing win, I decided to give it another go today. And my game crashed during my first round of picks. It didn't just straight up eat my entry fee, but it did auto-pick my troops for me. I'm stuck with a Peasant (destroy 3 gems), a Warhound (-3 attack), and a Grave Knight (breaks armor and does 3 damage). About the only good thing about the set is it covers all the colors if I take a red weapon. Howl and Pitchfork are cheap abilities too, mana wise, but even just taking a turn to cast them seems too much some times.

I only need 2 wins to make back my gold at least! :unsmith:

e: I went 8-0, go figure.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 30, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

EzEight posted:

I wouldn't recommend playing it on a phone last hitting minions is incredibly hard on a tiny screen.

Last-hitting on a touchscreen, over wi-fi? I think I'll pass :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a simple way to download apps from not-my-country's store or am I better off trying that emulator? I'm on a US-store tablet, not rooted, and I want to download some Japanese games.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is there a streamlined/easy way to sell the cards from those apps? Anytime I think about selling stuff on Ebay it just reminds me of scammers and the p-p-p-powerbook and I don't want to deal with anything like that.

No. It only provides a way to trade, which means you sell the card then swap it with someone else with an account.

It likely violates the terms of the app's EULA too, so I guess anyone who sells the digital cards on eBay could get banned from ever looking at digital Star Wars in the app.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I'm going to out myself as a serial player of lovely freemium sim city games, but... is anyone still playing The Simpsons: Tapped Out and/or Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff? I could use some friends in both, for whatever advantages that confers.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Anyone have a link to a guide for 80 Days that is less 'be sure to choose to rotate the Buddha's left nipple counter-clockwise to unlock the secret time machine' and more 'this is what it means when something's price is listed as '£5/80d'? Other questions I have include 'is there a way to zoom out when using a stylus' and 'is there a shortcut for 'return to your current location from the world map'.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

gromdul posted:

Gems of War chat:

Arena is fun, and the rewards are pretty great. I went 8-0 on my first draft, which pays out 1500g (net gain of 500), 400 souls, and a couple of keys. This is by far the fastest way to gain souls that I have found so far besides the Treasure Hunt. Assuming you can win, which is pretty easy since the AI makes bad, or at least predictable, choices.

Hello, Mode I Will Be Playing Almost Exclusively For The Rest Of This Game. Three-card Sealed Deck that gives you enough Souls to actually level anything worthwhile? Yes please. It's also a great training mode to learn what's good and bad about common cards.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FredMSloniker posted:

Anyone have a link to a guide for 80 Days that is less 'be sure to choose to rotate the Buddha's left nipple counter-clockwise to unlock the secret time machine' and more 'this is what it means when something's price is listed as '£5/80d'? Other questions I have include 'is there a way to zoom out when using a stylus' and 'is there a shortcut for 'return to your current location from the world map'.

Don't know about the rest of your questions (though I think the items that say "##d" mean that they expire after that number of days... maybe?) but tapping the bottom right where Master Fogg is should bring you back to your original location, though it might bring you right into the city interface.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Antifreeze Head posted:

Considering the popularity of answering random Google surveys for pocket change, some people might be interested in Star Wars Card Trader. The game gives you enough free credits every two days days or so that you can get chance at a digital trading card you can sell off for at least 50 cents on eBay, and possibly more depending on the rarity of what you get out of it. I pulled one a day ago that sells for $2.50 or so, and most often you'd be looking at about a dollar if the card sells.

I think I saw someone talking about Topps BUNT earlier in this thread. It is pretty much like that, but no game component, just straight up collection. As for BUNT, it is always getting updated and there seems to be more stuff that sells for high prices, but the free daily payout isn't quite as good so it can take longer to get enough points to have a chance at pulling a card that might sell.

Thanks for the tip, this is very useful for me to build up a powerseller account on Ebay to start drop shipping stuff for some cash on the side.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Autumn Dynasty was really short and crashes like a motherfucker for 5 bucks. Took about 3 hours total. Final map was literally won via a deus ex machina.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

coyo7e posted:

Autumn Dynasty was really short and crashes like a motherfucker for 5 bucks. Took about 3 hours total. Final map was literally won via a deus ex machina.

That sucks. I was pumped about that and was holding off till I got tired of XCOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Is there a simple way to download apps from not-my-country's store or am I better off trying that emulator? I'm on a US-store tablet, not rooted, and I want to download some Japanese games.

Qooapp lets you download from asian countries.