Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I know what the Algorithms Guide says, but I've had Protect layered before and it does gently caress all but Shell neatly halves the damage (Shell accessed via Chemist). GBA oddity, maybe? :iiam:

maybe, he's also got different status immunities in the snes and gba versions (snes can be silenced, gba can't). wouldn't surprise me if they hosed up jump's damage code in the port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fungah! posted:

maybe, he's also got different status immunities in the snes and gba versions (snes can be silenced, gba can't). wouldn't surprise me if they hosed up jump's damage code in the port

Especially since Gilgamesh on the Bridge is literally the only (non-sealed temple) enemy to use the Jump enemy magic. :v:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Especially since Gilgamesh on the Bridge is literally the only (non-sealed temple) enemy to use the Jump enemy magic. :v:

lol yeah, iw as just running through that in my head. yeah that's probably a gba bug then. can't get good data on the psx version, it might actually count as phys damage there and if it does guard should actually work

hiRa
Oct 5, 2006
^_^

Kyrosiris posted:

Gilgamesh can't even use Jump before the 2500 HP threshold, though?

This is his whole AI routine before the buff sequence:

code:
Fight
{Fight,Goblin Punch,Critical}
{Fight,Aera,Fight}
{Fight,Wind Slash,Critical}

Are you perhaps mistaking Jump with Goblin Punch? He's level 28, so if you are also level 28 (how the hell :psyduck:), he will do 8x damage to you with it.

Nope, goblin punch does roughly 285~ or so. It seems the fights go like this:

Start, physical attacks as he takes damage he and gets buffed he gets two attacks per my one turn of 4 characters. So let's say I'm fortunate and have a good attempt I'm at roughly 75% hp with everyone going into his buffed state. So two regular physics attacks or a goblin punch is no big. If he wind slashes I'm pretty screwed as I just can't keep up with the healing, but my problem is jump, first one always seems to do 1100 to someone and one shot them and I just can't recover because I can't heal enough.

If it matters I am level 21 and have had zero trouble up until this point in the game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hiRa posted:

Nope, goblin punch does roughly 285~ or so. It seems the fights go like this:

Start, physical attacks as he takes damage he and gets buffed he gets two attacks per my one turn of 4 characters. So let's say I'm fortunate and have a good attempt I'm at roughly 75% hp with everyone going into his buffed state. So two regular physics attacks or a goblin punch is no big. If he wind slashes I'm pretty screwed as I just can't keep up with the healing, but my problem is jump, first one always seems to do 1100 to someone and one shot them and I just can't recover because I can't heal enough.

If it matters I am level 21 and have had zero trouble up until this point in the game.

yeah i think this must be a glitch in the anthologies version. try doing the guard thing, if jump counts as phys damage it should block it. if it doesn't you're going to have to get some more hp (there's a recovery spring in exdeath's castle if you need it). have you tried doing a run where you don't bother healing in the second phase and just beat the poo poo out of him?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Very excited for my Blue Mage/Time Mage/Ninja/Geomancer party.

Looking at this for advance purposes and it seems like the party is kind of... already built. Blue gets Time, Time gets Blue. Geomancer gets Time (for higher magic power usage of Meteo I guess?) and Ninja gets Blue. Not a whole lot of thought needed, and it really won't need much grinding at all, if any.

I suppose if I wanted to I could give dual-wield to a rod-user for more powerful breaking but eh eh ehhhh. And Image can be handy for anybody.

hiRa
Oct 5, 2006
^_^

Fungah! posted:

yeah i think this must be a glitch in the anthologies version. try doing the guard thing, if jump counts as phys damage it should block it. if it doesn't you're going to have to get some more hp (there's a recovery spring in exdeath's castle if you need it). have you tried doing a run where you don't bother healing in the second phase and just beat the poo poo out of him?

Yea I've tried just an all out damage race but I just fall short. I figured out I can't even bother to heal in phase two because 50 hp potions are a joke at that point.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Poque posted:

Looking at this for advance purposes and it seems like the party is kind of... already built. Blue gets Time, Time gets Blue. Geomancer gets Time (for higher magic power usage of Meteo I guess?) and Ninja gets Blue. Not a whole lot of thought needed, and it really won't need much grinding at all, if any.

I suppose if I wanted to I could give dual-wield to a rod-user for more powerful breaking but eh eh ehhhh. And Image can be handy for anybody.

meteo is great but this party can also have fun with NED equip rod on nin/geo and dual wield on blue/time with quad reflected rod breaks
give the geomancer the accessory that boosts elements and use the wonderwand to apply reflect instead of the ring and they can all have element boost on it too

should be roughly equivalent to meteo if you're too lazy to do that super dungeon (although !time on everyone is obviously better because of quick and haste)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Poque posted:

yeah by the time you got dual wield on a rod user you'd be past the point in the game where rod damage is OP unless you ground for AP like crazy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Poque posted:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

I've never known about that. And looking at a walkthrough, apparently they are Lone Wolf Vulnerable too!

Lone Wolf is such a motherfucker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Streaming again, picking up where I left off at Karnak.

http://www.twitch.tv/lurdiak

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
My first official fiesta is complete, and my first triple crown! :toot:

Shinryu and Neo Exdeath went down like nothing before the onslaught of chicken knife sword dance and meteor.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Sandworm is a fucker and I hate him. The only thing I hate more than this fight is the complete lack of healing outside of potions or elixir grinding.

Any hot sandworm tips for a Berserker/Bard party? Because brute forcing him sounds like even more of a horrible slog than it is right now.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok, so I've decided to do 2 runs side by side thia year. I saw the hacks posted in the OP, and I'd like to tackle the heavily modified one while doing the fiesta on a clean rom.

Just signed up for #regchaos, instantly got a water crystal job. But hey time mage is secured so that should be fun.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

Sandworm is a fucker and I hate him. The only thing I hate more than this fight is the complete lack of healing outside of potions or elixir grinding.

Any hot sandworm tips for a Berserker/Bard party? Because brute forcing him sounds like even more of a horrible slog than it is right now.

Kill your berserker and then proceed with life.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Like Clockwork posted:

Sometimes you've just got to put down a wild dog.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I just got my fourth class, making my final lineup monk, summoner, beastmaster, and dragoon.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
This just in: two-handing a Twin Lance and the Chicken Knife doesn't work on iOS. :(

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I know while we were talking about the Cool GBA Translation, someone wanted this:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Other cool things I learned in this last try:

Ribbons mean gently caress all to Grand Cross when it zombies three of my characters twice.

Zombie ninjas can hit a different person with each hand! They can't do that to enemies, but wow! Awesome!

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

well my computer has decided to die on me so now I get to wait and see if my save data is still good. yay :(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Emy posted:

I just got my fourth class, making my final lineup monk, summoner, beastmaster, and dragoon.

!Summon will carry you in the lategame, make sure not to miss any espers.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
It begins...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Summoner/Red Mage/Beastmaster/Geomancer. Beastmaster and Geomancer were kinda useful in World 2, but then I got Syldra and everyone just shot Syldra 24/7. I actually landed a Catoblepas on the Almagest part on the first try. In fact, Neo didn't even get off Grand Cross, only a few physical attacks that Golem blocked. Red Mage was actually my second most-useful job thanks to Gold Hairpin and Red Magic being surprisingly flexible.

As for mobile, I'm never again playing a version without fast forward. That said, Auto-Battle is great for avoiding input delay, which really steamrolls a lot of bosses. It even makes grinding statues easy since it remembers to target enemies with Gold Needles in Auto Battle. Still, the game's got crappy controls and not being able to dash is just slow, plus I can't skip through story stuff. It's not a terrible way to play, but if you played the game a lot already then I'd go GBA emulator with fast forward any day.

I could do Shinryu but I'm ready to call this run done so forget it. Can't really do Omega since !Calm is fixed in mobile.

Probably won't do a second run for awhile if at all since I want to finish up Zerky!'s adventures and move on to other projects. If I do I might stream it or whatever. For now time for a break.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

My first Fiesta run is finished. Neo Exdeath went down pretty quick once I had enough levels to survive Almagest, since releasing three Rukhs takes of most of his HP right away and I had Zeninage to finish them off. Beastmaster was by far and away the star of this run, though I could probably have lent on Zeninage a lot more than I did. The team had enough physical attacking prowess to burn down most bosses, and there always turned out to be a monster with the right ability to take out the nasty ones like Byblos and World 2 Exdeath. Not much synergy, unless you count giving a Berserker Equip Whips so their damage isn't halved when they decide to attack an enemy in the back row.

I'm already signed up for a chaos run and praying to get mages.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dragonatrix posted:

I know while we were talking about the Cool GBA Translation, someone wanted this:

That was me, thanks. I just love that line, it perfectly encapsulates FFV.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Ok, so after finishing the hellish grind that was getting Dualcast online (gently caress Red Mage forever), I went into the void.

Calofisteri died to Dualcast Holy.

Omega died to Krile hitting him over the head with the Sage's Staff (fun fact: apparently it can never miss in melee!) god knows how many times until he blew up.

Apanda died to Dualcast Holy.

Azulmagia died to Dualcast Holy.

Catastrophe died to Dualcast Holy.

Halicarnassus died to Dualcast Holy.

Twintania died to death before I could finish making him die to Dualcast Holy.

Shinryu died to a berserk Lenna hitting him for 9999 with the Dragon's Whisker.

Necrophobe's barriers died to death, then Necrophobe died to Dualcast Holy, except Gilgamesh came in and stole the kill by blowing himself up.

Krile is overpowered, please nerf.

I'm half tempted to after I beat NED to do a "non-canon" run through the Sealed Temple. Is it worth it, or does everything have holy immunity/absorption like Omega/Shinryu did?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

the Orb of Zot posted:

I'm half tempted to after I beat NED to do a "non-canon" run through the Sealed Temple. Is it worth it, or does everything have holy immunity/absorption like Omega/Shinryu did?

You need a Thief to finish it.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

You need a Thief to finish it.

Hence why I said "non-canon"; switch to thief JUST long enough for dash, and then afterwards switch back. Don't even have to do any battles.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

the Orb of Zot posted:

Hence why I said "non-canon"; switch to thief JUST long enough for dash, and then afterwards switch back. Don't even have to do any battles.

You also need to catch a Behemoth, but I imagine you knew that.

Neo Shinryu and Omega Mk.2 absorb holy, as does Omniscient 2: Prepare To Die Edition (Archaeodemon).

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

You also need to catch a Behemoth, but I imagine you knew that.

Neo Shinryu and Omega Mk.2 absorb holy, as does Omniscient 2: Prepare To Die Edition (Archaeodemon).

I assume that Omega Mk. 2 is still vulnerable to Stop and Neo Shinryu is still vulnerable to Berserk, right?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Completed my second fiesta, a 750 run and second play-through of the game! (first being the first run I did this year)

I thought red mage, blue mage, geomancer, and chemist would have more synergy when I first seen them all line up. But then I found out you can't dualcast blue magics :cripes:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

chemist/blue mage is insane dude, you can l5 death anything in the game with some math and loving around with levels

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

imo blue mage is the second best class in the game, the only other contender is summoner because god drat can you put out some damage with summoner

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

sage advice posted:

Death to berserkers!

...so it's time to grind until my two bards can survive long enough to deal actual damage then. :sigh: I was afraid of that. At least I have fast forward.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

the Orb of Zot posted:

I assume that Omega Mk. 2 is still vulnerable to Stop and Neo Shinryu is still vulnerable to Berserk, right?

Omega Mk.2 can still be calmed, yes. But Neo Shinryu? No. Oh no no no no no.

code:
NAME: Neo Shinryu
LEVEL: 97                               EXP: 0
HP: 65000                               GIL: 0
MP: 60000                               SPEED: 95
ATTACK: 200                             MAGIC POWER: 180
ATT. MULT: 40                           MAGIC MULT: 72
EVADE%: 20                              MAGIC EVADE%: 120
DEFENSE: 100                            MAGIC DEFENSE: 100
DROP(ALWAYS): Nothing                   STEAL(COMMON): None
DROP(RARE): Nothing                     STEAL(RARE): Elixir
IMMUNITY: Control, Catch                CAN'T EVADE: None
CREATURE TYPE: Heavy, Dragon
INITIAL STATUS: (Always)Invunlerable
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: None
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: Holy
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: None
STATUS IMMUNITY: Death, Petrify, Toad, Mini, Poison, Zombie, Old, Sleep,
                 Paralyze, Confuse, Berserk, Stop
SPECIALTY: Critial Attack
SPECIALTY EFFECT: None
AI SCRIPT:
While(Alone){
     Unhide Monster:(Change Monster):[F596]0:Neo Shinryu
                                           3:(Neo Shinryu)
     (Start Script)
     }
While(Var01=02){
     No Interrupt{
          {Attack,Attack,Critical Attack}
          {Attack,Attack,Critical Attack}
          }
     No Interrupt{
          {Attack,Critical Attack,Nothing}
          }
     }
While(Var01=01){
     Set Variable:Var01=02
     Mute
     }
While(Var00=01){
     Maelstrom
     {Ice Storm,Ice Storm,Blaze}
     Zombie Breath
     {Earthquake,Earthquake,Lightning}
     No Interrupt{
          Attack
          Attack
          }
     {Poison Breath,Poison Breath,Breath Wing}
     Curse
     {Tidal Wave,Tidal Wave,Almagest}
     }
Set Variable:Var00=01
Mighty Guard

NAME: (Neo Shinryu)
LEVEL: 97                               EXP: 0
HP: 65000                               GIL: 0
MP: 60000                               SPEED: 95
ATTACK: 200                             MAGIC POWER: 8
ATT. MULT: 40                           MAGIC MULT: 7
EVADE%: 20                              MAGIC EVADE%: 120
DEFENSE: 100                            MAGIC DEFENSE: 100
DROP(ALWAYS): Nothing                   STEAL(COMMON): None
DROP(RARE): Nothing                     STEAL(RARE): Elixir
IMMUNITY: Control, Catch                CAN'T EVADE: None
CREATURE TYPE: Heavy, Dragon
INITIAL STATUS: (False Image)
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: None
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: Holy
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: None
STATUS IMMUNITY: Death, Petrify, Toad, Mini, Poison, Zombie, Old, Sleep,
                 Paralyze, Confuse, Berserk, Stop
SPECIALTY: Critial Attack
SPECIALTY EFFECT: None
AI SCRIPT:
While(HP<15000 & Var01=00){
     Set Variable:Var01=01
     Set Self Status:False Image(Reverse effect if already inflicted)
     Nothing
     }
Set Self Status:False Image(Reverse effect if already inflicted)
Nothing
React:Death{
     No Interrupt{
          Unhide Monster:(Form Change)[F596]3:(Neo Shinryu)
          (Start Script)
          Giga Flare
          Meteor
          }
     }
Counter(Rapid Fire){
     Set Target:Last Attacker
     {Zombie Powder,Doom,Nothing}
     }
Counter(HP Damage){
     Set Target:Last Attacker
     {White Hole,Nothing,Nothing}
     }
Neo Shinryu hates you. Neo Shinryu will ply every fragment of its being towards murdering you very fast and very hard.

Austere things
Feb 4, 2013
What's a good synergy with a team of Ninja/Geomancer/Bard/Dragoon?

Of course, I'm thinking of giving dual wield to Dragoon from Ninja, but I'm not really sure what else to spread around. Is it worth giving Geo and/or Bard Dragon Sword to take advantage of their magic stat or is it a better idea to share Sing and Gaia between them? Does Ninja really need anything more than he has naturally since he comes with Throw, Image, and Smoke built in? I'm just not sure really how to make the team play well dynamically beyond what they pretty much already have.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Neo Shinryu

How do you beat this with a fiesta team again?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Fungah! posted:

chemist/blue mage is insane dude, you can l5 death anything in the game with some math and loving around with levels

Does lv5 death ignore the heavy tag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Austere things posted:

What's a good synergy with a team of Ninja/Geomancer/Bard/Dragoon?

Of course, I'm thinking of giving dual wield to Dragoon from Ninja, but I'm not really sure what else to spread around. Is it worth giving Geo and/or Bard Dragon Sword to take advantage of their magic stat or is it a better idea to share Sing and Gaia between them? Does Ninja really need anything more than he has naturally since he comes with Throw, Image, and Smoke built in? I'm just not sure really how to make the team play well dynamically beyond what they pretty much already have.
Geomancer's Magic score will power up !Throw and !Lance really good.

• Locked thread