Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I'm trying out RobCo Certified, but when I try to repair a protectron, I get a missing parts error. I know I'm not missing any parts because I have multiple scrap metals and fission batteries in my inventory, I have the perk to repair them as well. Is there some trick to repairing them or is it just bugged?

You have to make the parts at a workbench. They take 40 Repair to make, and they produce an item called "Robot Spare Parts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Colgate posted:

You have to make the parts at a workbench. They take 40 Repair to make, and they produce an item called "Robot Spare Parts"

Oh I see, thanks. Cool! I now have my very own upgradeable Protectron.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

admataY posted:

Will Using external EXE like script extender or 4GBthingy compromise steam achievements/overlay get me vac banned ?

Nothing you do in a single player game will get you VAC banned, because VAC only pertains to playing a game online.

As for achievements, the only thing that will disable them is opening the console, and even then they're only disabled for the current game session; close and restart the game and they'll work again. (Alternately, use gibbed's "Using Console Doesn't Disable Achievements" NVSE plugin, and that won't stop them either.)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

m2pt5 posted:

Nothing you do in a single player game will get you VAC banned, because VAC only pertains to playing a game online.

If only they could find some way to inflict this on loverslab modders.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm trying to get Dynamo ENB working with this 4GB patch + Mod Organizer, and I get a CTD before getting to the main menu if I have the following shortcut

code:
"A:\Games\Fallout New Vegas\Mod Organizer\ModOrganizer.exe" 
"X:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\fnv4gb.exe" -laaexe .\FalloutNV4GB.exe

Any ideas (besides "program files", it's not C:\)?

edit: Game works fine if I take off the switches which are supposed to make the 4GB detect ENB, '-laaexe .\FalloutNV4GB.exe'

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 1, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Does the quick weapon swap perk apply to thrown explosives when using the grenade hot key in Project Nevada?

I'm having a blast turning this game into a run and gun experience and now I'm looking at the quick weapon swap perk and the one that increases accuracy while moving.

I finally leveled and made two saves to compare. The quick weapon swap does effect the grenade hotkey and it rules.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I hate Honest Hearts so much and I'm so done because it makes me not want to play NV. Is there some way I can skip the rest of it and get started on another of the DLC?

Also which DLC should I do next?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Eh, Honest Hearts is my favourite. Its a fun romp that doesn't overstay its welcome.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Dead Money is the best dlc in New Vegas.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can skip Honest Hearts by trying to kill any of the characters. The quest immediately becomes "steal a map and leave"

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm trying to get Dynamo ENB working with this 4GB patch + Mod Organizer, and I get a CTD before getting to the main menu if I have the following shortcut

code:
"A:\Games\Fallout New Vegas\Mod Organizer\ModOrganizer.exe" 
"X:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\fnv4gb.exe" -laaexe .\FalloutNV4GB.exe

Any ideas (besides "program files", it's not C:\)?

edit: Game works fine if I take off the switches which are supposed to make the 4GB detect ENB, '-laaexe .\FalloutNV4GB.exe'

The ENB Preset was not compatible with the version of ENB that is available, is the issue.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Brainamp posted:

If only they could find some way to inflict this on loverslab modders.

If you take away their comparatively safe modding playgrounds, they'll just start inflicting themselves onto real people. It's irresponsible.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mr. Crow posted:

The ENB Preset was not compatible with the version of ENB that is available, is the issue.

Looks like you need, what, .246 or .249? I'll see if I've got a copy archived somewhere.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

2house2fly posted:

You can skip Honest Hearts by trying to kill any of the characters. The quest immediately becomes "steal a map and leave"

It's great that at least half the people that played Honest Hearts missed out on the entire DLC because they shot Follows-Chalk on sight, since I think he showed up as a red blip on the compass and looks like a random attacking White Legs from a distance. And that's within about five minutes of starting the DLC.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

It's great that at least half the people that played Honest Hearts missed out on the entire DLC because they shot Follows-Chalk on sight, since I think he showed up as a red blip on the compass and looks like a random attacking White Legs from a distance. And that's within about five minutes of starting the DLC.

he does not show up as hostile on the radar, people are just bad at video games

e: what happens is that there's a hostile white legs on the rock shooting in your direction, and he comes up from behind them and kills them and stands on the rock where they were

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

I will shoot that guy in the cave in the face. Thanks.

King Vidiot posted:

This was me, but I am

Alouicious posted:

just bad at video games

because I didn't even kill him. :downs:

Quick edit: Googling seems to come to the conclusion of playing Dead Money, Old World Blues then Lonesome Road. Does this seem good?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

Quick edit: Googling seems to come to the conclusion of playing Dead Money, Old World Blues then Lonesome Road. Does this seem good?

Yes

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can do OWB and DM either way, but release order is probably the best(DM>OWB) just because there's some narration that assumes you're playing them that way. Lonesome Road you definitely wanna save for last.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Alouicious posted:

he does not show up as hostile on the radar, people are just bad at video games

e: what happens is that there's a hostile white legs on the rock shooting in your direction, and he comes up from behind them and kills them and stands on the rock where they were

Yeah, this happened to me. Showing up as red or not on the radar doesn't help if you're not looking at the radar (because for example you're currently shooting/getting shot by a hostile tribal), or if your character's perception isn't high enough for Follows-Chalk to show up on the radar at all at that distance. And if Follows-Chalk pops up behind the guy you're currently spraying with an automatic weapon and he catches a bullet in the process, turning hostile...

I vaguely recall them tweaking that sequence a bit in a later patch to try and reduce the chance of it happening, but if you were playing it on launch and didn't know any better... it was ridiculously easy for that to happen to people.

vvvv Ah, okay; guess I misremembered. vvvv

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 1, 2015

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

I vaguely recall them tweaking that sequence a bit in a later patch to try and reduce the chance of it happening, but if you were playing it on launch and didn't know any better... it was ridiculously easy for that to happen to people.
It was never tweaked in a patch. What happened was that Obsidian recognized that people would have trouble recognizing that Follows-Chalk is non-hostile and made him essential - at least for that particular encounter.
According to Ropekid the essential flag was there in the version of the DLC Obsidian send to Bethesda for QA. In the version Bethesda released the flag was gone. :iiam:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm pretty sure he even does a little wave to you so you don't accidentally murder him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah but if you see him wave you also saw him dome that White Leg a second earlier. It's a cool way for him to show up but it really would have benefited from that essential flag.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

CFox posted:

What TTW does is take your Fallout 3 install and turn it into an archive you can then add to New Vegas. After you create the archive you can completely delete the Fallout 3 installation and it won't make any difference whatsoever. Think of TTW as just another mod you install rather than a separate game altogether.

As for mods to use with TTW you'll want to use New Vegas mods and not Fallout 3 mods unless the Fallout 3 mods have been converted to work with TTW. There's a section on the TTW forums for these mods.

I kind of figured this but wasn't 100% sure so thanks. Gonna uninstall FO3 when I get home, be glad to free up some space.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
After following Gopher's vid on MO, here's my setup as of now:

Gopher seems like he's going wild with mods after 10 min into vid 4, so I'm stopping now, and will only add whatever small ones people here recommend, who will work with whatever is there now. NVSE is installed and so is 4GB. Running the game through 4GB with NVSE installed seems fine and dandy.

1. Will the aforementioned CASM, NVAC, NVSR(Edit: I have the Stutter Remover already, I see) work well with the rest of my setup? As in none of them are already included in Project Nevada or something and will gently caress it up?

2. TTW archive/Fomods from FO3 have been created already. Anything else I should do before I try to install that again? Last time, I believe the DLC esm's on the right pane in MO was NOT checked, maybe causing that previous error.

3. Play?

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 1, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Downs Duck posted:

1. Will the aforementioned CASM, NVAC, NVSR(Edit: I have the Stutter Remover already, I see) work well with the rest of my setup? As in none of them are already included in Project Nevada or something and will gently caress it up?

Yeah, they should work together fine, though you might want to try out the MCM version of CASM, rather than the standard one. It adds some extra options for when to save, as well as an MCM menu, obviously.

Couldn't tell you anything about TTW, though. Haven't tried it myself yet.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah, they should work together fine, though you might want to try out the MCM version of CASM, rather than the standard one. It adds some extra options for when to save, as well as an MCM menu, obviously.

Couldn't tell you anything about TTW, though. Haven't tried it myself yet.

Great, thanks, wasn't aware of that.

Edit: It says I need some Lutana NVSE plugin?

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 1, 2015

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Downs Duck posted:

After following Gopher's vid on MO, here's my setup as of now:

Gopher seems like he's going wild with mods after 10 min into vid 4, so I'm stopping now, and will only add whatever small ones people here recommend, who will work with whatever is there now. NVSE is installed and so is 4GB. Running the game through 4GB with NVSE installed seems fine and dandy.

2. TTW archive/Fomods from FO3 have been created already. Anything else I should do before I try to install that again? Last time, I believe the DLC esm's on the right pane in MO was NOT checked, maybe causing that previous error.

3. Play?

You said you wanted a vanilla experience, Project Nevada is very very very much not vanilla.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Mortimer posted:

You said you wanted a vanilla experience, Project Nevada is very very very much not vanilla.

Only installed it because Gopher did in his instruction vid. Stopped adding anything more before it went completely out of hand.

Setup-wise: Removed the standard CASM and downloaded Lutana NVSE Plugin and CASM with MCM. Installed both and moved OneHUD underneath them.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 1, 2015

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Downs Duck posted:

Only installed it because Gopher did in his instruction vid. Stopped adding anything more before it went completely out of hand.

well then uncheck the box in MO and you'll be pretty close to vanilla

edit: You have NVEC all bets are off. NVEC =/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/= NVAC

If you want even remotely a regular game experience uncheck NVEC immediately

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Mortimer posted:

well then uncheck the box in MO and you'll be pretty close to vanilla

edit: You have NVEC all bets are off. NVEC =/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/= NVAC

If you want even remotely a regular game experience uncheck NVEC immediately

This is why I ask! Thank you. :)

Unticked and then removed mod from list:
-Project Nevada
-Project Nevada Extra Options
-NVEC

Which leaves me with this before trying to install the FO3 fomods, which I've put in the MO download folder already:

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 1, 2015

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So i am currently wothout internet and waiting on comcast to get this fixed. Im missing a mod to make hacking/lockpicking less of a chore, so i looked into making my own. Its relatively easy to set up, but im not keen on having a script run with every single frane of the game. Can someone recommend me a good way to have the script run once on loading the game and leave it at that?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

For any NVSE plugins (Stutter remover and NVAC) I wouldn't even go through MO.

Just make a NVSE folder in your new vegas/data folder and make a folder inside that one called Plugins.

Then put the NVAC/stutter remover files in the plugins folder.

Side note for the future: Because you won't be running PN your Mod Manager is required. PN contains Mod Manager so if you run it you don't need the separate mod.

Use LOOT to sort your mods (run through MO)

SpookyLizard posted:

So i am currently wothout internet and waiting on comcast to get this fixed. Im missing a mod to make hacking/lockpicking less of a chore, so i looked into making my own. Its relatively easy to set up, but im not keen on having a script run with every single frane of the game. Can someone recommend me a good way to have the script run once on loading the game and leave it at that?

Download a mod on your phone and plug your phone into your computer and transfer it :confused:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Side note for the future: Because you won't be running PN your Mod Manager is required. PN contains Mod Manager so if you run it you don't need the separate mod.
The version of MCM included with PN only works for PN itself. If you want to use any other MCM-using mod, install the full version of MCM after installing PN.

SpookyLizard posted:

Can someone recommend me a good way to have the script run once on loading the game and leave it at that?
The simplest way to have a script run once, is to create a new quest that starts automatically and have the attached script do this.
code:
short bDoOnce
Begin GameMode
	If bDoOnce != 1
		;Do stuff!
		Set bDoOnce to 1
		StopQuest <new guest ID>
	EndIf
End
You can also do other stuff like have a script run once each individual time the game is loaded, etc.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 1, 2015

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Mortimer posted:

Just make a NVSE folder in your new vegas/data folder and make a folder inside that one called Plugins.

Thanks again, but also sigh :(

No offense to you or anybody else, I'm grateful for the help you guys provide, but I also absolutely get why so many just give up on actually playing the games themselves, it's a lot of back and forth.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Downs Duck posted:

Thanks again, but also sigh :(

No offense to you or anybody else, I'm grateful for the help you guys provide, but I also absolutely get why so many just give up on actually playing the games themselves, it's a lot of back and forth.

For the average person they can throw 4 mods in the data files folder, check the boxes in the launcher, and probably do just fine.

Modding itself is a hobby as much as playing the games is. It's weird but it's a hobby nonetheless.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Mortimer posted:

For the average person they can throw 4 mods in the data files folder, check the boxes in the launcher, and probably do just fine.

Modding itself is a hobby as much as playing the games is. It's weird but it's a hobby nonetheless.

Agreed.

Anyway, between work and watching and reading up on modding these games for the nth time, I'm gonna go with what I have atm. Running the install of TTW now, and see how it goes. If it goes to poo poo, there's always the garbage folder and then another 800+ games in my library.

Edit: Alright, got another error when trying to install the FO3 Fomods, not sure I'll bother with it anymore. Thanks again for all your help, guys, appreciate it.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 1, 2015

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Psion posted:

Looks like you need, what, .246 or .249? I'll see if I've got a copy archived somewhere.

I ended up just going with another one, Rudy ENB.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Download a mod on your phone and plug your phone into your computer and transfer it :confused:

Installing plugins through MO works just fine (in that they work like any other mod), and you get the added bonus of being able to edit .ini files through MO which is very useful.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

I'm pretty sure he even does a little wave to you so you don't accidentally murder him.

He wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Yao Guai so I accidentally emptied an LMG into him. I only stopped shooting the corpse when the extended belt ran dry.

Follows Chalk: more talkative than Cass, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Raygereio posted:

The version of MCM included with PN only works for PN itself. If you want to use any other MCM-using mod, install the full version of MCM after installing PN.

The simplest way to have a script run once, is to create a new quest that starts automatically and have the attached script do this.
code:

short bDoOnce
Begin GameMode
	If bDoOnce != 1
		;Do stuff!
		Set bDoOnce to 1
		StopQuest <new guest ID>
	EndIf
End
You can also do other stuff like have a script run once each individual time the game is loaded, etc.

Thanks. Its a pain to research on this stuff on your phone. Gonna mess around with that tomorrow.

Mortimer posted:

Data caps. :argh: