Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

tgijsola posted:

So I just started playing modern, is this worth trying in Affinity? You get some extra value from arcbound ravager, a little protection against board wipes, more evasive cranial plating targets, and you can cast it for 0 if you have master of etherium out.

This seems way too expensive to play in affinity, since you basically want to throw down as many things as possible in as few turns as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Lancelot posted:

Kaladesh is so derpy.

MIssed opportunity to finally Assemble some Contraptions Conthropters.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

tgijsola posted:

So I just started playing modern, is this worth trying in Affinity? You get some extra value from arcbound ravager, a little protection against board wipes, more evasive cranial plating targets, and you can cast it for 0 if you have master of etherium out.

Probably not. Affinity doesn't make a ton of mana and what are you cutting to replace with this?

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

Entropic posted:

Probably not. Affinity doesn't make a ton of mana and what are you cutting to replace with this?

Yeah, I can't see ever casting it for X > 1. Wasn't sure about what to cut either, maybe a couple steel overseers, but this is all probably too cute.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Those cards are nowhere near aggressive enough for mono black aggro.

Didn't I just talk about that this morning, dude?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

tgijsola posted:

Yeah, I can't see ever casting it for X > 1. Wasn't sure about what to cut either, maybe a couple steel overseers, but this is all probably too cute.

Steel Overseer is a card that would help the Walker, since the +1/+1 counter matters.

The "what to cut" question is pretty big though. Maybe 1 Pest and 1 Vault Skirge for two of these?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mcmagic posted:

It's even worse in limited than in constructed. Did you ever cast Rescue from the underworld in Theros block? I know I didn't...

the first time i drafted that set a buddy of mine at the next table got 3 garys and 4 rescues.

so yeah.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Wizards kills yet another piece for Shadowborn Apostle / Shelldock Isle :'(

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Cranial Extraction that only hits creatures for 1 less is still a bad card I think?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Wezlar posted:

Cranial Extraction that only hits creatures for 1 less is still a bad card I think?

it might see fringe play in standard just to remove those loving raptors, but it's too expensive for too much risk of not hitting something in their hand

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
This guy seems like a nightmare in Limited
https://twitter.com/maro254/status/616022746074460161

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Adrian Sullivan comments on the changes to video coverage.
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/31116_Some-Thoughts-On-Changes-To-Organized-Play.html

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
See that's what green should be, not these recurring raptors or lightning helix rhinos

gently caress midrange, green should be all giant loving creatures that make ramp awesome and fun

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Well gently caress. Of course it's green.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Sickening posted:

Well gently caress. Of course it's green.

...you expected a 6/6 for 5 with upside to be any other color?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GeneX posted:

...you expected a 6/6 for 5 with upside to be any other color?

The color pie doesn't mean what it use to. Desecration demon was a thing.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Sickening posted:

Desecration Demon was also monstrously unfun for any decks that didn't have Elspeth or Hero's Downfall to interact with so

e: This one at least doesn't fly

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Sickening posted:

upside, not "potential downside".

but yes black might get that body for that cost with a downside

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sickening posted:

And it was wrong and should not have happened. Amen for ravnica being gone, I welcome our new eldrazi overlords.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Black has had undercosted Beaters with downside for aggggggggessssss.

EDIT: Admittedly, Desecration Demon was not much downside.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

GeneX posted:

upside, not "potential downside".

but yes black might get that body for that cost with a downside

Priest of the Blood Right is exactly that.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

I am already longing for the days of Typhoid Rats (i.e. last Sunday)

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

i guess there is a group of people who just love big dumb green dudes so im glad they have a card but otherwise that dork is yawn city

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
That is a beefy loving dude for 5 CMC.

(Linked above, here's the pic)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Angry Grimace posted:

If it had trample and cost 1 more this would be the greenest creature ever printed

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PrinnySquadron posted:

Black has had undercosted Beaters with downside for aggggggggessssss.

Since Alpha in a sense.

The definition of "undercosted" has changed since then okay.

Arabian Nights was the first to apply the idea to a low-curve guy, anyway, but the basic idea was there from the start.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Angry Grimace posted:

You can take one hit from it, then it turns into The Abyss on a stick.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

If it had trample and cost 1 more this would be the greenest creature ever printed

I don't know what I would have told you if you showed me this card in 1996 and said a roughly equivalent card (Arbor Colossus) sees no play outside of sideboards.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Since Alpha in a sense.

The definition of "undercosted" has changed since then okay.

Arabian Nights was the first to apply the idea to a low-curve guy, anyway, but the basic idea was there from the start.

Dark Ritual made black a weird color to design creatures in I think.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 1, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also,

plus

is the most Timmy/Johnny combo ever

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Lancelot posted:

Kaladesh is so derpy.

Kaladesh is the movie Wild Wild West as done by Bollywood, and I love it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Devor posted:

You can take one hit from it, then it turns into The Abyss on a stick.

it'll require two chumps a turn, not just one.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Man green really is turning into the new blue, thanks obama

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sigma-X posted:

it'll require two chumps a turn, not just one.

It doesn't have Menace (requires 2+ blockers) it has "Cannot be double+ blocked."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
actually nm

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

"How can we colorshift The Abyss to green?"
"Make it dome the opponent for 12 a turn when they run out of dudes to feed it."
*high fives*

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

It doesn't have Menace (requires 2+ blockers) it has "Cannot be double+ blocked."

Ah, reading is tech. I glanced at it quick at work and misread it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

COLOR PIE

LISA NEEDS BRACES

COLOR PIE

LISA NEEDS BRACES

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

"How can we colorshift The Abyss to green?"
"Make it dome the opponent for 12 a turn when they run out of dudes to feed it."
*high fives*

Um it's clearly nothing like The Abyss because you don't have to feed it your own creatures :downs:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I like how they put this card in the set they keyword Menace in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

I like how they put this card in the set they keyword Menace in

Charging would be a good word for the "cannot be blocked by more than one creature" ability. Most of them have that sort of flavor.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 1, 2015

• Locked thread