Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So...what was the announcement from CEO? Was it just "hey, we're still developing more stuff"? Or was it more specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There wasn't one. Everyone misinterpreted a CEO tweet replying to someone asking if Smash would be there.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I voted for Dark Samus in the fighter ballot.

Also, Ryu's character design is cool and iconic, and if you think it is bad then you probably have bad taste.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Please don't troll itt, thanks

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Blank Image Quote

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=1

I went through AwkwardZombie's entire archive of SSB4 comics, and there is not one single drawing of Mega Man.

This is unacceptable. :colbert:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

zolthorg posted:

Blank Image Quote

Gah, what the hell, it shows up for me just fine.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
He meant he's quoting it but added that line so it wouldn't be an empty quote

Really, I haven't seen anyone get probated for that in a long time

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Somehow people still believe that emptyquoting is in any way frowned upon

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mabels big day posted:

Somehow people still believe that emptyquoting is in any way frowned upon

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnTzr63CdEA

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Why did they include all those other characters?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

project m: melee edition........

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

(presented as a Hayao Miyazaki gif) Melee was a mistake

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Lmao does it really not have loving autocancelling, it's 2015 and people are still hacking games and keeping manual <wrist and hand shattering> lag cancels

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
It's actually a plot to assassinate mew2king

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

zolthorg posted:

Lmao does it really not have loving autocancelling, it's 2015 and people are still hacking games and keeping manual <wrist and hand shattering> lag cancels

but.. muh effort justification

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Cool.

nakahara38
Nov 19, 2013

zolthorg posted:

Some of us want our broken hands, as badges of honor!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

mabels big day posted:

project m: melee edition........

what t he hell

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I just got this game because I was super hype on Ryu and the DLC characters and now I like it but am terrible. I watch competitive Smash from time to time but I really dislike the GameCube controller/stick and have trouble moving precisely. Can I switch which side I'm facing in the air? How do I break throws? I like Ganon but he's kinda bad I guess. Pit's alright but I don't know how to kill with him.

How do I not be a terrible baby in this generally fun game?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I just got this game because I was super hype on Ryu and the DLC characters and now I like it but am terrible. I watch competitive Smash from time to time but I really dislike the GameCube controller/stick and have trouble moving precisely. Can I switch which side I'm facing in the air? How do I break throws? I like Ganon but he's kinda bad I guess. Pit's alright but I don't know how to kill with him.

You can't switch which way you're facing in the air after you've left the ground but this lets you actually make use of your back-air instead of just turning around and forward-airing. You can break grabs if you can mash the buttons fast enough but once you're thrown you want to use Directional Influence to worm your way out of follow-ups, or jump and airdodge to avoid the upair. Everything else is a matter of practice and patience

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Characters can upsmash out of a dash and pit's upsmash is decent so try killing people by running up to them and punishing with an upsmash when they've made themselves vulnerable

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Try using the gamepad or a pro controller if you don't like the GC one.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Some characters can reverse the direction they're facing mid-air just by pressing side+b in the direction they want to face. Obviously this is not optimal with Ganondorf or Pit, but if you're Mario, Donkey Kong, Mr. Game and Watch, etc, this can be useful.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Controllers are all habit, dont switch when you're already learning GC controller, you'll just have wasted time. Smash needs muscle memory.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

You can't switch which way you're facing in the air after you've left the ground but this lets you actually make use of your back-air instead of just turning around and forward-airing.

its worth mentioning that marth, lucina, and roy all turn around in midair when they use their back air, but they're the only ones who do this. for the rest if you want to turn around you'll have to use a special move which only really works for some characters

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oh also any character with multiple midair jumps will turn around if you jump backwards

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
you can turn around on neutral b moves by hitting the direction you want to face for a frame, let go, then press neutral b

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Tonetta posted:

you can turn around on neutral b moves by hitting the direction you want to face for a frame, let go, then press neutral b

Also works if you hit the direction really fast after hitting b.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Tonetta posted:

Kantesu posted:

Also works if you hit the direction really fast after hitting b.

Note that these two methods can have different effects on momentum. Lucina/Marth come to mind.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Kirby's Giant Hammer is dope.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Controllers are all habit, dont switch when you're already learning GC controller, you'll just have wasted time. Smash needs muscle memory.

It takes the average person like one or two loving days to adjust. The Wii U pro controller is by far your best option because:
- the rumble on the gamepad is incredibly cheap if you want that option in a controller
- the new print gamecube controllers require a dumb to acquire accessory and have awful awful shoulder buttons that constantly jam
- every single old gamecube controller is on the used market or 200$ brand new and the used ones are still disgusting after several cleanings
- the triggers on the pro controller are a bit worse then the triggers on the gamepad
- every other pro controller button is the same as the gamepad
- the bigger buttons on the gamecube style controllers are easier to short hop and quickly hit but also break much easier then the pro controllers because their size means a push is a rattle
- the analog sticks on the pro controller and gamepad are much shorter then the gamecube main stick which makes it much easier to accutely control your character's horizontal movement and execute tilts and smashes

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Smashfoursideville is God's gift to Melee.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the nintendo gamecube controller is the greatest controller known to man

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I like to use the Wii U Pro Controller because I like to practice on my 3DS and the muscle memory carries over pretty directly.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

zolthorg posted:

It takes the average person like one or two loving days to adjust.

It took me weeks to get semi comfortably used to a GC controller again after using a 3DS and pro controllers for months and months, and this is after I spent years with GC controllers playing Melee ages ago. Maybe im special :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Some neat easter eggs in PM 3.6

• Locked thread