Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well it certainly is a very good Yak. Though even now the Yak-9M is a beast and might be better. It does get a bit hotter with this patch put stays in the orange temp range at 100% (if you don't go too slow).

The reason I'm wondering this is because since they changed the Yak 3 flight model it just hasn't felt right. Whilst its not longer inclined to shed its wings at the slightest provocation it feels awfully wobbly. Its annoying because I used to be very fond of the plane and now I just can't seem to get on with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Skoll posted:

Wow, you're awesome at being a retarded parrot that mimics what other people say. :mediocre:

I can't tell if you're being stupid or joking

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The T-26-4's HE is strong enough to bloop semi-reliably at its tier until you unlock the MD-5 fuse APHE executioner round. I can't believe they made it 1.3, this is amazing! :allears:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Alkydere posted:

The T-26-4's HE is strong enough to bloop semi-reliably at its tier until you unlock the MD-5 fuse APHE executioner round. I can't believe they made it 1.3, this is amazing! :allears:

Really? I couldn't pen jack poo poo with it, even side-hitting Pz II Cs, which are my metric for "does this thing do anything to armour, at all".

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I've only been in a dogfight or two against the Ki-44 so far and it seems very much like a faster Hayabusa which probably means its fun as gently caress.

Shanakin posted:

I won a talisman for the Tempest 2 when I was flying a griffon spit around a bit yesterday. Modules are just getting unlocked every couple of kills and the kills keep rolling in. It's unlocked a couple of planes in the process for me too.

I see a lot of love for this thing into the future..... and Tempest II's in combined arms sounds like a brutal combination. 2x1000lbs bombs on a stupidly fast low altitude fighter. mmmmh

drat that's actually really lucky, for a while it was one of the few planes I would actually put a talisman on before there were premium Spitfires on the one nation that actually needed them. I think it's cool that Gaijin is giving them away and hopefully in the long run it gets people flying stuff they normally wouldn't.

And yeah, the bombs are so huge that they're effortless to aim even in 3rd person which is oddly enough the hardest imo. The biggest weakness of endgame German prop fighters is that they are poo for ground attack when compared to things like the Tempest, Bearcat or even the N1K and it actually causes them to lose a lot of rounds via tickets outside of arcade.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

spectralent posted:

Really? I couldn't pen jack poo poo with it, even side-hitting Pz II Cs, which are my metric for "does this thing do anything to armour, at all".

I hit a Pz III's front and killed the driver and transmission. It's more that my options are HE or Shrapnel until I get the doom rounds.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The new hurricane is the dumbest best thing I've ever flown in this game

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

The new hurricane is the dumbest best thing I've ever flown in this game

I've been flying it a lot and it owns in SB. Expect a rise in battle rating because as of right now a team of these planes can auto-win every map in a single pass faster than any bomber. My guess is that it will eventually be on the same level as the Sea Hurricane w/Hispanos simply because of the guns.

Britain vs Japan is just a really great matchup by default but you have these super agile planes that can outfly you and you get like one BnZ chance to dive on them and 1 shot them with cannons then run away while they peck at you with tiny bullets. Hurricanes can soak a lot of damage when it comes to tanking Era I machineguns. I've managed to RTB before in it with like literally 3 planes chasing me and hitting me the entire way. The only thing they can hope for is to light you on fire. Though the Hayabusa will gently caress you up, a lot like the 202 those .50s add up quick if they manage to connect every burst.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it calls.....

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

BBJoey posted:

it calls.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24CPil1scVg

i get extremely psyched whenever I see a PBY or H6K floating around like majestic flying whales

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Right. Learning to energy fight with germans. What's a decent plane to ease me into it? Picking most of my planes just seems to lead to my death.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Thief posted:

Hurricanes can soak a lot of damage when it comes to tanking Era I machineguns. I've managed to RTB before in it with like literally 3 planes chasing me and hitting me the entire way. The only thing they can hope for is to light you on fire.

It's hard to die in Korea with the Mk4, had 5-6 after me, even ShVAK planes and Ishaks, I fly until I get so shot up that I lose lift completely. Engine is still happy to keep running. Weird as f

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
sbd2c :
pro has 2x 20mm
con no bomb sight

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

BBJoey posted:

it calls.....

Do it, it is a Catalina that feeds on other, dumber Catalinas

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

spectralent posted:

Right. Learning to energy fight with germans. What's a decent plane to ease me into it? Picking most of my planes just seems to lead to my death.

There's a good chance you're dying because you're making mistakes, rather than because you need a specific plane. What do you usually fly?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Shine posted:

There's a good chance you're dying because you're making mistakes, rather than because you need a specific plane. What do you usually fly?

I'm assuming some are going to be marginally more forgiving, presumably at the cost of lower skill ceiling, than others.

Also normally I fly yaks and spits.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

spectralent posted:

Yaks, Las or Ki61s.
109s aren't very forgiving planes since even glancing blows will mess up their flight characteristics and the low ammo counts of early versions requires good aim from the get go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Do-17 is garbage in every way. The Hurricane IV is hilarious fun.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

One issue I seem to be having is in the time I've climbed up to 4-5k, everyone on my team has head-on'd everything and either killed them all or died.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 1, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

spectralent posted:

One issue I seem to be having is in the time I've climbed up to 4-5k, everyone on my team has head-on'd everything and either kill them all or died.

This is the way of War Thunder with Pubbies, and always will be.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

spectralent posted:

One issue I seem to be having is in the time I've climbed up to 4-5k, everyone on my team has head-on'd everything and either killed them all or died.

Why would you climb in a Hurricane :confused:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Hurricanes can climb :confused:

Sard
May 11, 2012

I just got a coupon for the Russian King Cobra. I haven't actually flown the American one much, all I remember about it is that it's a plane I could always just almost get my nose on a target with before losing the opportunity. What does it bring to Russian teams, worth 800 eagles?

too late i'm really bad at stopping impulse purchases under $5 so now i have it ok

Sard fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 1, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

BBJoey posted:

Why would you climb in a Hurricane :confused:

Yaks and Focke-wolfs actually. Not sure where I mentioned Hurricanes at all.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

A La-5 will do everything better than the 109 does at low altitude but you can still climb to 4k altitude and practice diving on low and slow targets. The only real issue you should be having with this plane is actually hitting your target because Russian cannons seem to have higher velocity than most in this game. La-5s do not require the same sort of patience in climbing as other similar fighters except when against highly agile planes like the Zero and I guess Spitfires as well outside of SB.

For the sake of learning I would start here if you're interested at all in 109s. 109s need an altitude advantage to build up their energy while La's tend to have such excellent acceleration and energy retention that they can improvise more once your target is aware of you and actively avoiding you. Once you start to feel like you are able to pounce on unsuspecting targets in the La-5s (the La-5FN is the best variant for its rank btw) then you can move onto things like the 109 more easily. Energy fighting has a lot more to do with reading the field than exactly what plane you're in. It's a lot of balancing your energy state against your target in a way that limits their movement while maximizing yours. You can bait them into attacking you or pulling a desperate evasive maneuver while at the same time restraining yourself in a way that lets you immediately follow up with a killshot.

Things you can regularly practice to become a better energy fighter:

:s:Keep your speed up. You shouldn't be going under 300kmph unless you are side climbing or actively pulling a high yo-yo over your opponent in hopes of baiting them into a desperate vertical position as you bounce back onto them for a high energy attack.

:s:Gain the advantage. Don't loving attack without a clear advantage. Planes like the 109 really suffer when they don't position themselves correctly. Simply flying near an enemy is an aggressive enough stance to affect their behavior so don't feel obligated to go head on and tangle yourself up in an extended turning fight unless you have to or you are not alone.

Do more high Yo-Yo's This is your go-to maneuver whenever you have a huge energy/altitude advantage. If they get baited into a stall that's great. If they try to run they still have to dodge your next attack. Depending on how that goes, you can do more high yo-yo's if you have enough energy relative to them. This is a really old example but yeah:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUoyF-3dYCg

You can experiment with just how high your yo-yos get. The higher you go, the more likely you will stall but it will affect the timing in such a way that it can really gently caress over someone that has over committed to a defensive maneuver because you bought yourself a few seconds to adapt while they expected you to be more immediately aggressive.

Estimating how much energy other planes in the area have as you fly around. Watch when people do high loops in furballs and you'll notice that as they peak in altitude they will slow down. This is ideally where you want a target on the defensive to be when you are diving on them. Often times if you miss, they will still descend into a tight defensive turn (mainly because from their perspective it's 'oh i can just outturn this 109') which is really just locking themselves into a predictable line that you can easily cut through on a follow up bounce attack. Once you get a good feel for reading the field you can even attack people from behind as they climb if you have enough energy to follow them up and out of their curve without risking getting caught in a stall/turnfight.

Stick with your team. Let them engage targets first and support them from above. This will let you watch how attackers and defenders trade energy and maneuvering options in a 1v1 situation. It will also let you practice attacks on them from relative safety and they will often be so fixated on the first person that is locked in a direct chase with them that they might not even see you coming in to scoop off points from the top.

:s:Fly with goons. We are huge nerds and can tell you immediately if you're doing something "wrong" and why AND how you can handle a situation like that more efficiently. Also teamwork is legit OP and a big reason why squads are limited to just 4 people because otherwise public matchmaking would likely be broken and unfun for the majority of players that are too stupid to communicate.

Watch cyber-ace wheraboos play. Seeing how skilled 109s/190s work together can be sort of amazing because on paper these planes simply should not win against any allied team but their specialized roles compliment each other so perfectly for high altitude dogfights. Really just look for when and how they initiate an attack on someone when they have the advantage. You'll start to see a breaking point where that advantage gets neutralized and they will break off. Break off earlier than they do until you actually know your limits.

:s:Breaking off early. If you keep bouncing back on the same target over and over again, your energy will eventually drop to a level similar to theirs and you will not be able to disengage a more agile opponent unless you have a lot of altitude to run away or you do some serious pilot poo poo and juke them to separate. Breaking off, leveling out or whatever you have to do to reserve your energy is a good thing to practice and is essential to success in a 109. When you see a plane helldive away from you and its early in the round, it isn't always simply a last ditch escape plan. Often times they are trying to bait you into burning altitude and eventually trapping you under the clouds for a fight that is in their favor or have teammates come from behind you because you ran right past them. The mistake a lot of inexperienced players make is that they will chase these planes halfway to the deck then break off. When a plane is running like that, simply level off and follow them from a distance. You will have the absolute advantage without gambling half of your altitude away. Worst case scenario is that they RTB and from there you can get them when they go to land or even take off for an easy kill. When someone dives away that hard and you don't follow them they will just assume you gave up. From here only a very experienced player will gently caress off to the side and climb above you minutes later. This is how a lot of heavier things like P-47s and twin engine fighters get their kills but more often than not they're just going to RTB and do a climbing spiral until you attack them or they get impatient and land.

Thief fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 1, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Further issue: Diving seems to make a lot of planes really hard to aim. Since I swapped to playing more brit/russian planes in RB a while back, I realised I can, generally, aim okay; my issue is that in a dive I just have unresponsive surfaces. I'm guessing that's "you positioned wrong" and I'm just going to have to learn that the hard way though?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

spectralent posted:

Yaks and Focke-wolfs actually. Not sure where I mentioned Hurricanes at all.

:ssh: you didn't mention any other planes and posted immediately after a guy referring to a Hurricane

spectralent posted:

Further issue: Diving seems to make a lot of planes really hard to aim. Since I swapped to playing more brit/russian planes in RB a while back, I realised I can, generally, aim okay; my issue is that in a dive I just have unresponsive surfaces. I'm guessing that's "you positioned wrong" and I'm just going to have to learn that the hard way though?

If you're going to make a high speed pass you need to make sure you'll intercept them where they'll be not where they are. It takes practice.

Sard
May 11, 2012

spectralent posted:

You're probably just diving too steep. You want to come in shallower so you can maintain control and more efficiently bounce back up, also because your best dive targets are idiots helicoptering up to someone else.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

BBJoey posted:

:ssh: you didn't mention any other planes and posted immediately after a guy referring to a Hurricane

My bad.

[quote]If you're going to make a high speed pass you need to make sure you'll intercept them where they'll be not where they are. It takes practice.

Sard posted:

You're probably just diving too steep. You want to come in shallower so you can maintain control and more efficiently bounce back up, also because your best dive targets are idiots helicoptering up to someone else.

Right, a mix of practise and dive adjustment.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Only ever received Golden Battles Wager from your Huge Trophy rewards?
You're not alone! Turns out it's a problem they know of..

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

That's an excellent guide, listen to the man.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qWv4cXSJ7A

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Following Thief's advice will rarely lead you astray.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Here we see Mr.Yak15 demonstrate the importance of trigger discipline and careful aim. Thank you Mr.Yak15

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Sard posted:

Christ, the Il-2 feels gutted after this patch. Great patch for the most part, but one of my favorite airplanes and the one I've been flying the most lately went from challenging but capable to hosed. The guns can't kill tanks, the payload has been cut in half, the rockets are firing like they're anti-air rockets and arc upwards instead of arcing down the reticle distance marks, and the thing just handles worse all around.

And they still took away the red nose on my special one, but I guess I can learn to like the new look.

:smithicide:

I'm considering switching over to the Pe-2 line of bombers because they can at least carry a decent bomb load and get a sight as well for CARB. Hell, they can even mount 10x132mm rockets as well. But it's just so big and slow, dies instantly to any kind of fire and is just :negative:

MiNDRiVE
Nov 8, 2012
The yak was in that way too long.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Xerxes17 posted:

I'm considering switching over to the Pe-2 line of bombers because they can at least carry a decent bomb load and get a sight as well for CARB. Hell, they can even mount 10x132mm rockets as well. But it's just so big and slow, dies instantly to any kind of fire and is just :negative:

At 3.7 - 4.7 they're not bad for a suicide run on a single cap, diving in from the bomber spawn altitude and using the airbrakes to avoid ripping the wings off.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

MrLonghair posted:

Only ever received Golden Battles Wager from your Huge Trophy rewards?
You're not alone! Turns out it's a problem they know of..

Huh..I was starting to wonder about that.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Chips posted:

At 3.7 - 4.7 they're not bad for a suicide run on a single cap, diving in from the bomber spawn altitude and using the airbrakes to avoid ripping the wings off.

Sure it can do that, but I just loved the old load out of the IL-2 since you could kill two targets with the rockets and then a 3rd with the bombs and then go dog-fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I unlocked the ZSU a few weeks ago but never really got a chance to play it all that much as I've been doing mini-tanks with friends. Finally took it out for a proper spin today and managed to put a round through a Tiger's turret mantlet to nail the gunner. No wonder people here call it the "Zeus" :stare: Couldn't kill the Tiger but it saved my bacon and gave a team-mate enough time to finish him off.

Speaking of mini-tanks, vitality is an amazing stat to pump:

Got ambushed by an M13 playing T-26's and all three of my crew ate multiple .50's like champs. Vodka and nails: it's what's for breakfast in the USSR.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 1, 2015

• Locked thread