Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kuvo posted:

the ffx event should give us /hahaha

i would unironically pay :10bux: for that

as long as the laugh is max volume, regardless of your volume sliders, and zone wide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Chairman, can you add http://guide-source.com/ffxiv to the OP? I was looking through the other database sites and none of them really provide any info on how to tackle dungeons.

This hasn't been updated in well over a year.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Did the first three Extreme primals today with an undersized party, both tanks were sub 60 but we had two max level healers and 3 dps (2 dps for Garuda). Max group size is 7 since you can't undersize with 8, and there's no limit breaks in undersized party.

Garuda: Still need two tanks? But you can probably one tank it as long as you can figure out a good way to spread adds. Should only see two sets of adds at most; with max levels and good gear, one set of adds is completely possible. One healer is possible and probably ideal with max level geared tanks, two is perfectly fine with one of them just straight DPSing.

Titan: ~probably~ need two tanks, but with good dps and a raise for your tank, you can ignore the tank swap and just let adds die wherever and brute force him down. The gigantic health pools mean that even if a tank dies or falls off near the end, you can still brute force this guy (or any of the fights) with healers just healing whoever is getting punched.

Ifrit: Tank swap is the same gimmick as titan: You can kinda ignore it by just brute force raising your tank whenever he dies, but with the damage tanks put out now you don't really lose much from having two of them. You gotta stop dots so you don't accidentally phase him killing nails, and nails gets a little iffy if they die too fast thanks to the vulnerability. The healer hot potato still shoves, so you still gotta spread out. Still the easiest one, probably.

Overall, the fights are still challenging and you can't really brute force them, but you can probably 4 or 5 man them if you've got a bunch of people in full law+ gear and still watch them die a LOT faster than they ever did at level 50. Will look forward to (finally) farming some ponies in a few weeks when my friends are caught up on content and geared out!

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

SirPhoebos posted:

Chairman, can you add http://guide-source.com/ffxiv to the OP? I was looking through the other database sites and none of them really provide any info on how to tackle dungeons.

It hasn't been updated since 2014 and nothing at that level should require a guide to beat. Dungeon bosses are generally intuitive or have a singular mechanic that people will explain to you if you're new.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hooray I unlocked my first Job White Mage!

Now to go grind up Thaumaturge to level 26 to get Swiftcast! :shepface:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Dr Pepper posted:

Hooray I unlocked my first Job White Mage!

Now to go grind up Thaumaturge to level 26 to get Swiftcast! :shepface:

You don't really need swiftcast until level 50+ content, plus getting 50 first will give you more experience on your THM.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

onesixtwo posted:

plus getting 50 first will give you more experience on your THM.

No it won't. You just extra experience for doing classes that are not your highest level one. There's no level requirements.

And you don't need swiftcast, but it is convenient.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

You don't really need swiftcast until level 50+ content, plus getting 50 first will give you more experience on your THM.

Oh cool I wasn't aware that the xp bonus happened for the prerequisite classes for the job as well

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

bonewitch posted:

It hasn't been updated since 2014 and nothing at that level should require a guide to beat. Dungeon bosses are generally intuitive or have a singular mechanic that people will explain to you if you're new.

Indeed. I've got three rules that basically cover 90% of any boss encounter, regardless of level:

* Don't stand in front of the boss. (Or, in the case of the tank, DO.)
* Kill all of the adds.
* Don't stand in the stupid.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

onesixtwo posted:

It is really surprising that nearly 2 years after 2.0's release goons continually misunderstand the armory bonus, and worse, continually pass on the wrong information.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Malloreon posted:

It is really surprising that nearly 2 years after 2.0's release goons continually misunderstand the armory bonus, and worse, continually pass on the wrong information.

Some "pubbie" probably tries to correct them but no goon ever listens because "gently caress pubbies".

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i, too, point out when people are wrong, but refuse to correct them

any class that isn't your main (read: highest level) gets bonus xp that maxes out at 50% (100% in heavensward post-50 i think?) that diminishes as you approach your highest level.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

well it's a good thing you're all here to jump at the opportunity, shame on me

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

any class that isn't your main (read: highest level) gets bonus xp that maxes out at 50% (100% in heavensward post-50 i think?) that diminishes as you approach your highest level.

100% EXP bonus for under Level 50. 50% EXP bonus for levels 50-60.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

other way around.

If you have a character who has level 55 in monk, when he goes back to leveling dark knight at 30 he will get 100% bonus experience until he hits 50, and then he will get 50% bonus experience until he hits 55, and then he'll get normal experience after that.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

e: need to put more points into Posting Speed

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a flat bonus as long as you're lower than your highest-level class, which is 100% if you're currently below 50 or 50% if youre at 50-59.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
ah, i thought you only got the 100 percent bonus if you had a class break 50.

e: i got 3 levels in tam tara this morning so i can confirm it is a lot of loving xp.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 1, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I dunno if this is a spoiler but the Japanese track has a reference the dub didn't carry over

when talking to Aymeric after the Vault in the english version when he says he has to stop the archbishop, in the Japanese dub he says 'we must stop my father...no, we must stop the Primal "Knights of Round"

kind of a huge shift there

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Blockhouse posted:

So I dunno if this is a spoiler but the Japanese track has a reference the dub didn't carry over

when talking to Aymeric after the Vault in the english version when he says he has to stop the archbishop, in the Japanese dub he says 'we must stop my father...no, we must stop the Primal "Knights of Round"

Hasn't a lot of the Japanese text/dialogue been a lot more blatant since forever pretty much though?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The Japanese writing sucks.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Forget the FF7 remake and Lightning Returns Yet Again. I have exclusive screenshots to Final Fantasy VI-2: Electric Boogaloo.

(Yeah, I know Terra didn't use spears, whatever, bite me. I don't have pally leveled.)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mordiceius posted:

The Japanese writing sucks.

at least in main story quests there's like no difference 99% of the time they just ran the japanese script through Game of Thrones filters

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Level 59 dungeon / trial spoilers I guess..? It's in the same vein of what you're talking about, but in a different location of the story. I thought this was flat out said in the English version? The Arch Bishop calls himself a primal and the whole point of the cinematic after ARF / before the trial are about him proclaiming to be a primal that will bring peace (kill everyone) for Eorzea. Obviously being the Hydaelyn's agent this poo poo doesn't fly. If anything it sounds like the Japanese version tells us that Aymeric knows more about the situation than implied in the English version, but you reach the same conclusion.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah, Thordan and his Knights become primals in the same general way that Ysayle did: through summoning something quasi-mythological into themselves.

Although, now that I think about it... when you kill Nidhogg, his corpse just vanishes. And then later you see him possess/transform Estinien, in a similar way to how it's implied that Odin possesses/transforms the wielder (since after all, Odin is just a sword). Maybe Nidhogg is a primal born of the anger of all the dragons who just want to kill everybody.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

vOv posted:

Yeah, Thordan and his Knights become primals in the same general way that Ysayle did: through summoning something quasi-mythological into themselves.

Although, now that I think about it... when you kill Nidhogg, his corpse just vanishes. And then later you see him possess/transform Estinien, in a similar way to how it's implied that Odin possesses/transforms the wielder (since after all, Odin is just a sword). Maybe Nidhogg is a primal born of the anger of all the dragons who just want to kill everybody.

Nidhogg isn't a Primal. Dragons just play by their own rules because of their magic eye bullshit and because they come from another planet. The Great Wyrms do that is

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nidhogg isn't a Primal. Dragons just play by their own rules because of their magic eye bullshit and because they come from another planet. The Great Wyrms do that is

I want to believe :saddowns:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

MTQcapture on Youtube has videos for basically every dungeon.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UDn3ev42uE

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

vOv posted:

I suspect the same thing. I forget who said it when, but I swear I remember a line in the MSQ somewhere about Nidhogg being an incarnation of dragonkind's hatred or something that makes it sound a whole lot like Nidhogg is a primal. (Unfortunately I can't remember anything about the line itself except that when I heard it I immediately thought "hey does that mean Nidhogg is a primal?") It also explains why he's still around after the knights defeated him the first time--I know the archbishop says that the knights left Nidhogg alive after stealing his eyes because they were merciful, and that seems to be the truth considering he went to Hraesvelgr for a new eye afterwards, but it seems a little off to me and the knights' conversation in the Echo flashback really doesn't sound like they left him alive. Of course, the big hole in that theory is the fact that Nidhogg did go to Hraesvelgr for a new eye, and that wouldn't make any sense if he was a primal.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 1, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

edit: damnit

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Your chart doesn't include "use LB because Wildfire counts its damage as well" so you might want to fix that unless SE finally removed the Wildfire+LB thing.

Is this true, and can anyone confirm whether or not it remains so? :stare:

I've been leveling Machinist as what feels like a long-term investment. It's really unimpressive and the way abilities line up is too much effort for very little reward, but the the look and the animations just feel so good. Also I love the Ishgardians being handed guns being all like, "I don't get it, you're wasting your time, what's the big d-OH HEY THIS IS WHAT THEY DO OKAY WOW"

They can probably keep the RNG if they ratchet up the damage bonus from the procs, and add a third proc for Split Shot that can trigger off either of the others. That ought to give the DPS a properly explosive feel and make it different enough from Bard.

Present state notwithstanding, anyone who bleeds Maelstrom-red should be leveling MCH out of sheer principle, 'til sea loving swallows all. :black101:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 1, 2015

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

nuru posted:

MTQcapture on Youtube has videos for basically every dungeon.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UDn3ev42uE

I've definitely used her video's to know what to expect in the dungeons. She goes ever everything pretty well and far better than others without wasted time as well as pointing out anything important on screen.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Opposing Farce posted:

I suspect the same thing. I forget who said it when, but I swear I remember a line in the MSQ somewhere about Nidhogg being an incarnation of dragonkind's hatred or something that makes it sound a whole lot like Nidhogg is a primal. (Unfortunately I can't remember anything about the line itself except that when I heard it I immediately thought "hey does that mean Nidhogg is a primal?") It also explains why he's still around after the knights defeated him the first time--I know the archbishop says that the knights left Nidhogg alive after stealing his eyes because they were merciful, and that seems to be the truth considering he went to Hraesvelgr for a new eye afterwards, but it seems a little off to me and the knights' conversation in the Echo flashback really doesn't sound like they left him alive. Of course, the big hole in that theory is the fact that Nidhogg did to to Hraesvelgr for a new eye, and that wouldn't make any sense if he was a primal.

Since we already know that there are aether constructs that aren't primals, like the carbuncles, we don't need to box every single aetheric being into the primal category. Nidhogg is just Nidhogg, all we can really say is the aether from his eyes is involved somehow.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

What annoys me with the BLM changes is that it adds more bloat to BLM in terms of poo poo we don't use. We have three thunders and one trait and they more or less go by the wayside except between enochians.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Going back a bit, there's no way Heavensward is selling poorly, the sheer number of people in Heavensward content is a very obvious counterpoint to that. It's also not competing against single player games that will always sell better than games with a subscription fee (and a good number of people just really hate or are unable to access online games) but similarly makes each Heavensward license sold much more lucrative.

That said, Ethical Games Journalists internet wide are bitching and moaning about everything being locked behind the main story quest and while I personally feel these issues are overblown, I'm also an addicted rear end in a top hat that has like 5 characters through the MSQ (and 3 ready to walk into Ishgard) and for better or for worse, that's what's out there for Heavensward--it's great, but Neckbeard McDew of Igtakugon's review was mostly just crying about the story quest lock.

There's no way the suits aren't paying attention to that, and it's assuredly dissuaded a number of sales. At the very least, 4.0 is going to have a large chunk of content that new and old players alike can jump into, and my guess is it will be coupled with a complete revamp of the class and job system that might do something like let all current and the new 4.0 jobs be starting jobs and get rid of classes entirely. While I doubt they'll make huge changes to the ARR/HW MSQ, I could see the 4.0 MSQ starting at level 1 with the option to do ARR/HW on a second job or simultaneously for new players.

Ultimately, we'll just have to see, but so far they've been great at responding to feedback and fixing things there is a large number of complaints about, and I'm fully confident they will make completely different mistakes going forward. :)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Holy gently caress the sylph dailies are worse than the holocaust.

EDIT: The sylph dailies make ME want to call a loving planet down on this lovely land.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 1, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's no moon....

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Mordiceius posted:

EDIT: The sylph dailies make ME want to call a loving planet down on this lovely land.

burn the sylphlands

so glad I'm done with those forever

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Are they still shifty at 60?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nuru posted:

Are they still shifty at 60?

depends on if those frogs stop attacking you at 50+

gently caress those frogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
mor dhona -> castrum