Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hihohe posted:

And one of those things for shooting down Brotherhood Vertibirds

Just make a revolver with a really long barrel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Just make a revolver with a really long barrel

Pictured here the 10mm pistol after moding

Just imagine by Modding gun customization you can have a dick gun and mix and match shaft head balls color and Species that shoots either more dicks, tits, or mole rats.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Hihohe posted:

Just imagine by Modding gun customization you can have a dick gun and mix and match shaft head balls color and Species that shoots either more dicks, tits, or mole rats.

The console crowd will finally know what it has been missing all these years... can't stuff that genie back into the bottle guys. Careful what you wish for.

I want to mod a gun that does this though:

Only it actually blows off all the other person's limbs in 1 hit.

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
They will have other companions besides dogmeat right?
My favorite quests from Fallout New Vegas were the companion ones but they were pretty short and also took triggers in really specific spots,
I usually had look on the internet on how to get to the next step of the companion's questline.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Melted_Igloo posted:

My favorite quests from Fallout New Vegas were the companion ones but they were pretty short and also took triggers in really specific spots,
I usually had look on the internet on how to get to the next step of the companion's questline.
Yes but they'll be Bethesda companions so them having their own quests are a long shot. Dogmeat will be the one you'll most likely grow attached to.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Melted_Igloo posted:

Todd confirmed that Codsworth is a companion, that Preston guy from the E3 footage will probably be too

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I want a Todd Howard companion. Mostly so I can get him stuck behind a door and hear about emergent gameplay as the raiders I'm running from skin him alive.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The best thing in FO2 was running straight down the left border of the map and finding the Enclave base or whatever, sneaking in, grabbing power armour and a bunch of energy weapons and then just roaming the wastes as an unstoppable Terminator badass melting everyones groin :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The best thing in FO2 was running straight down the left border of the map and finding the Enclave base or whatever, sneaking in, grabbing power armour and a bunch of energy weapons and then just roaming the wastes as an unstoppable Terminator badass melting everyones groin :colbert:

The best part of this is the fact that stealing the Virtibird plans and Advanced Power Armor doesn't require any combat or skills checks of any kind. You can literally do it at level 1. Once you turn in the plans you get a bunch of Brotherhood energy weapons and enough XP to gain a dozen levels too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mr Tastee posted:

I hope I can put a loudener on my gun.

A loudener? gently caress, with all the customization, I hope I can make a gun which plays Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" and generates a hologram of Freddy Mercury dancing on my victim's corpse.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bicyclops posted:

A loudener? gently caress, with all the customization, I hope I can make a gun which plays Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" and generates a hologram of Freddy Mercury dancing on my victim's corpse.

If Bethesda ever put an anachronistic song in one of their Fallout games, it would undoubtedly be Pete Hines' favorite song, If You Like Pina Coladas by Jimmy Buffett, which he described as a "song for every man. [A song] you can listen to a thousand times and always find something new...one of the greatest Rock songs I've ever heard."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I'm honestly hoping the new weapon customization system is easy to make mods for (I wouldn't be surprised, since Bethesda still seems dedicated to making modding their RPGs very easy and a core part of replayability).

And eagerly awaiting the flood of near-identical AR-15s with endless amounts of mods available.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
You better be able to mod unique weapons.

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
Is it just me or modding a rapid fire fat man would be seriously op if you say can craft mini nukes or find like 100's of them scattered around.
Or say plant a power generator and 10 turrets right in front of enemies in "build mode" or whatever mode lets you build things.

Melted_Igloo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 1, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If Bethesda ever put an anachronistic song in one of their Fallout games, it would undoubtedly be Pete Hines' favorite song, If You Like Pina Coladas by Jimmy Buffett, which he described as a "song for every man. [A song] you can listen to a thousand times and always find something new...one of the greatest Rock songs I've ever heard."

I would be okay with this, as long as you can craft 100+ proof pina coladas and use them as molotovs.

Bethesda: Please read this post.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think Bethesda needs any additional urging to make "wacky" "fun" "quests" that have no value other than sounding good while the writers' room is smoking weed.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hihohe posted:

This mod will be out within the first week on loverslab.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hihohe posted:

Pictured here the 10mm pistol after moding

When I coined the term "Let's put some boobs on this Mole Rat" in the frosty winter of 2010, I never dreamed of the day where Bethesda would answer my prayers by laying the groundwork for weaponized mole rat boobs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"If I wanted to hear Jimmy Buffet's Apocalypso," said Howard, pouring a can of Monster energy drink in a bowl, "I would absolutely play it through Xbox Music Pass. We use the service to jam on all of Buffet's greatest hits while we're developing. We've worked with that software the best and I can definitely say that it plays Apocalypso smoothly, even today." He paused to tap some cinnamon into the bowl. "Most players are going to play Apocalypso on i-tunes, for their PC, so that's where our focus is when we're coding," he said. "I can guarantee right now that Jimmy Buffet's song about dancing to the end of the world will stream just as well through both consoles of this generation." Pete Hines added that those listening to the album Fruitcakes on i-tunes could listen to the song in FLAC format.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I do this every game, I didn't even realize you were supposed to go through DC to get to Rivet City. I mean, Moira's quest has you go to the library, and then the very next part is researching RC's history, and it's only a short swim from the library, so...

It's been a while since I played FO3 but I think the only reason you go into DC is to get to the radio station, and then you get pointed to Rivet City right? Either way, I remember skipping half of the story by just going right to the garage where your dad is. You'd think they'd have the door be locked or something.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloodcider posted:

It's been a while since I played FO3 but I think the only reason you go into DC is to get to the radio station, and then you get pointed to Rivet City right? Either way, I remember skipping half of the story by just going right to the garage where your dad is. You'd think they'd have the door be locked or something.

Unfortunately, no. Bethesda sets up certain locations so that they map automatically through confusing, poorly design subway tunnels that are gated by giant invisible walls on all of the rubble. This is to make sure that you don't miss any of the fuckawesome "content" that they've laid out for you. You can get to these locations eventually (unless they're on the mall, in which case you have to go through the tunnels once before fast traveling), but the alternate routes tend to be clogged with bullet sponge encampments of super mutants and raiders that have literally no backstory or theming associated with them, and just constantly snipe you from 2 miles away with rocket launchers.

That's why it's confusing when people claim that the Capital Wasteland was more open, or more fun to explore. Let's not even talk about when you have to get to the extremities of the map, and there are loving giant radscorpions, deathclaws, and supermutant masters every 100 feet.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

Unfortunately, no. Bethesda sets up certain locations so that they map automatically through confusing, poorly design subway tunnels that are gated by giant invisible walls on all of the rubble. This is to make sure that you don't miss any of the fuckawesome "content" that they've laid out for you. You can get to these locations eventually (unless they're on the mall, in which case you have to go through the tunnels once before fast traveling), but the alternate routes tend to be clogged with bullet sponge encampments of super mutants and raiders that have literally no backstory or theming associated with them, and just constantly snipe you from 2 miles away with rocket launchers.

That's why it's confusing when people claim that the Capital Wasteland was more open, or more fun to explore. Let's not even talk about when you have to get to the extremities of the map, and there are loving giant radscorpions, deathclaws, and supermutant masters every 100 feet.

I played NV first and just now i'm finally playing FO3 with the tale of two wastelands: this is spot on. Every time I try to give it another chance it feels like it's a chore to play because it's so tedious and boring.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Snipe them first :colbert:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I dunno. I think NV has shades of that as well, but mostly at the beginning because they really want you to head south and see all the poo poo down there before you turn back north for the other half. If you try to head north to Vegas from the start, you're blocked by Deathclaws in one area, Giant Radscorpions in another, Super Mutants near the mountain, and Cazadors if you try the alt path out of Goodsprings. If you decide to try and cut across to the east after Primm, there's a Deathclaw in a narrow passage to dissuade you.

That said, it's not impossible to get around any of those things and get to Vegas early, but chances are you'll be clenching your sphincter trying to pass them, or you'll need to exploit terrain and/or spend a bunch of resources to get past them.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Odobenidae posted:

I played NV first and just now i'm finally playing FO3 with the tale of two wastelands: this is spot on. Every time I try to give it another chance it feels like it's a chore to play because it's so tedious and boring.

Yeah, DC is pretty poo poo and the subways being the only way to travel is awful. Escaping DC shouldn't be a thrill, you should want to be in there as much as possible, it's the big draw, after all.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

QuantaStarFire posted:

I dunno. I think NV has shades of that as well, but mostly at the beginning because they really want you to head south and see all the poo poo down there before you turn back north for the other half. If you try to head north to Vegas from the start, you're blocked by Deathclaws in one area, Giant Radscorpions in another, Super Mutants near the mountain, and Cazadors if you try the alt path out of Goodsprings. If you decide to try and cut across to the east after Primm, there's a Deathclaw in a narrow passage to dissuade you.

That said, it's not impossible to get around any of those things and get to Vegas early, but chances are you'll be clenching your sphincter trying to pass them, or you'll need to exploit terrain and/or spend a bunch of resources to get past them.

I think the difference is that in NV the stuff is intentionally placed to tell players "don't go this way you're too weak" without actually stepping out of the rules of the game and just putting invisible walls or some other kind of BS barrier. it lets players who really want to break the flow do so, but it also creates a more natural barrier to sequence breaking for people who decide "i'm not loving with this poo poo, time to go the way i keep getting told to go". there's also a ton of in-game justification from NPCs who tell you all about why the 95 north is blocked and how it's a big pain in the rear end for all the humans involved, and then there's even quests relating to those blockades (the deathclaws in the quarry, for example) that challenge players to eventually overcome them. it feels much more natural than having some kind of leveled monster list attached to a random encounter generator and having 1 of 4 possible monsters (mega deathclaw / horny yaoguai / super mutant i'm the boss applesauce / a fuckload of enclave dudes) randomly spawn 20 feet ahead of you every X feet traveled. it's actually one of my biggest complaints about the NV DLC that honest hearts and old world blues use randomly generated leveled monster lists because holy gently caress do the monsters scale extremely poorly w/r/t player level. at or near max level, monsters just soak up bullets to the point that combat ceases being fun

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

QuantaStarFire posted:

The devs for NV put a lot of stealthboys in various places in the starting area for the express purpose of letting you bypass all that if you desired, I think Ropekid was the one to mention that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

"If I wanted to hear Jimmy Buffet's Apocalypso," said Howard, pouring a can of Monster energy drink in a bowl, "I would absolutely play it through Xbox Music Pass. We use the service to jam on all of Buffet's greatest hits while we're developing. We've worked with that software the best and I can definitely say that it plays Apocalypso smoothly, even today." He paused to tap some cinnamon into the bowl. "Most players are going to play Apocalypso on i-tunes, for their PC, so that's where our focus is when we're coding," he said. "I can guarantee right now that Jimmy Buffet's song about dancing to the end of the world will stream just as well through both consoles of this generation." Pete Hines added that those listening to the album Fruitcakes on i-tunes could listen to the song in FLAC format.

Thinking about wrapping up a 10-pack of Monster Brews in burlap and anonymously mailing it to Bethesda (with a note).

code:

T. HOWARD:  
BRING TO BOIL; ADD RICH MICRO-EXPERIENCES TO EACH BREW UNTIL AL DENTE (TO THE TOOTH).  

PLEASE SEND ME SOME 'CUTE' PICS OF YOURSELF SO I CAN POST THEM ON IMGUR 'REDHEAD MONDAYS'--I'M HUGE THERE. 

--MR. WaTcHiN YoU

P.S. - DON'T CALL THE POLICE, I'M NOT GOING TO KILL YOU ;-)

And then just give him a PO Box to send pictures to.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Back Hack posted:

The devs for NV put a lot of stealthboys in various places in the starting area for the express purpose of letting you bypass all that if you desired, I think Ropekid was the one to mention that.

Right, there are always at least two in Goodsprings, and with a little bit of elbow grease, you can head directly north with relative ease.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If there's a Recharger Rifle in the shop in Goodsprings, I like to grab it and then snipe the Cazadors at the raider camp from the cliff there. There's some nice stuff in that area that'll net you a lot of caps early on if you can take all of the bugs out.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

QuantaStarFire posted:

If there's a Recharger Rifle in the shop in Goodsprings, I like to grab it and then snipe the Cazadors at the raider camp from the cliff there. There's some nice stuff in that area that'll net you a lot of caps early on if you can take all of the bugs out.

I usually try to hoard all of the dynamite I get from the Goodsprings quest, and then I'll climb up above the camp directly north of the town and pitch several sticks down into the group of Cazadors; without fail, it will frenzy one or two of them and cripple as many and, since they aren't immune to their own poison, a fight between themselves will reliably whittle down their health until they're trivial to dispatch via Varmint or Recharger rifle. Truth be told, I basically never use Stealth Boys.

I typically end up using the remaining dynamite to give the same treatment to subsequent groups of Cazadors on my way to Jacobstown by level 5 or 6.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Melted_Igloo posted:

The human character, as we all know by now, is a robot. He breaks down after the intro (this is the suit of power armor you see in the garage), and you spend the rest of the game playing as a dog mechanic fixing up his owner, finding friends, trying to open cans of dog food, etc.

homeless poster posted:

I think the difference is that in NV the stuff is intentionally placed to tell players "don't go this way you're too weak" without actually stepping out of the rules of the game and just putting invisible walls or some other kind of BS barrier.
There are a lot of invisible walls around the mountains to the west and the canyons down near the BoS bunkers, as well as other places you're not supposed to get to early on. The alternate path to the Strip was open, while trying to go off-road often led to frustration.

But I seem to recall that if you mod them out, you wind up with cazadores or radscorpions or something massacring everyone in Goodsprings.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The human character, as we all know by now, is a robot. He breaks down after the intro (this is the suit of power armor you see in the garage), and you spend the rest of the game playing as a dog mechanic fixing up his owner, finding friends, trying to open cans of dog food, etc.

In a nod to Blade Runner so obvious that it's practically a headbutt, it will be revealed that the main character--who is shoehorned into working for The Institute at some point during the main quest--is not only not hunting escaped androids as s/he was told (they are, in fact, human members of a distinctly scrappy rag-tag resistance group a la Robocop 3) but that s/he is the android. The wild and dangerous robots you were dispatching the entire time were actually the Burger King Kids Club of underdog organizations--women and cripples and children with berets and even a Native American--being crushed under the cyborg jackboot of Commonwealth expansion.

Then a guy in a soiled frock coat who looks like a more sallow version of Half-Life's "G-Man" speaks to you in a sinister purr: "If you'd please," he says to you; the three words are a command that has been imprinted on your processor, compelling you to obey this entire time! That's why every audio tape and Commonwealth mission and relevant NPC has said it! How could you have failed to notice???

Only if your karma is high enough do you realize you may be a robot, but you still have "heart"--you strangle him to death, somehow stopping the Commonwealth's campaign dead in its tracks. Good conquers evil.
If your karma is too low because you've been ignoring all of the water beggars stationed outside of the main towns and being mean/rude to people, you fail to learn the lesson of "heart" and, as the screen goes black, Ron Perlman mumbles something about "bad choices" and "the wrong ending".

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 1, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I hope there's a day one mod to make Monster Brew Crew entertaining.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Something that I think would be cool to see would be town that's basically a Vault that didn't have a crazy experiment and just opened after 150 years or whatever and the people go out to scavenge or trade but still live in the Vault because its really nice and defensible.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

I hope there's a day one mod to make Monster Brew Crew entertaining.

Same, but a mod to cure your autism.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In a nod to Blade Runner so obvious that it's practically a headbutt, it will be revealed that the main character--who is shoehorned into working for The Institute at some point during the main quest--is not only not hunting escaped androids as s/he was told (they are, in fact, human members of a distinctly scrappy rag-tag resistance group a la Robocop 3) but that s/he is the android. The wild and dangerous robots you were dispatching the entire time were actually the Burger King Kids Club of underdog organizations--women and cripples and children with berets and even a Native American--being crushed under the cyborg jackboot of Commonwealth expansion.

Then a guy in a soiled frock coat who looks like a more sallow version of Half-Life's "G-Man" speaks to you in a sinister purr: "If you'd please," he says to you; the three words are a command that has been imprinted on your processor, compelling you to obey this entire time! That's why every audio tape and Commonwealth mission and relevant NPC has said it! How could you have failed to notice???

Only if your karma is high enough do you realize you may be a robot, but you still have "heart"--you strangle him to death, somehow stopping the Commonwealth's campaign dead in its tracks. Good conquers evil.
If your karma is too low because you've been ignoring all of the water beggars stationed outside of the main towns and being mean/rude to people, you fail to learn the lesson of "heart" and, as the screen goes black, Ron Perlman mumbles something about "bad choices" and "the wrong ending".

I'm empty quote this for the future when it turns out to be 100% right.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Something that I think would be cool to see would be town that's basically a Vault that didn't have a crazy experiment and just opened after 150 years or whatever and the people go out to scavenge or trade but still live in the Vault because its really nice and defensible.

Fallout 2 has vault city. It even has an infuriating npc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hemophilia posted:

Fallout 2, best Fallout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfIFKRKiEwY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

hemophilia posted:

Ya I know but something thats less of a city and more of a kick rear end fort. Like the Fiends in Vault 3 I guess but more organised.

• Locked thread