Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Funnily enough, Monstrous would be the perfect keyword for that ability if it wasn't taken, since it would play up the 'only the lone Herculean hero can slay this beast' aspect. Or the lone Herculean typhoid rat, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
hi folks if you want to play cool spells like Ancestral Recall or Black Lotus maybe you should click over here to the vintage thunderdome thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727677

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

you, too, can cast notion thief on opponent's draw 7s

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Green Abyss dies to removal that is and isn't rotating out of standard.

I wish he had 2 Less Renown and Trample instead.

Also, I wish Bad SotF was better, even though it turns Dorks into Wincons.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

whoa wtf i didn't see the part about graveyards. It's a loving nightmare to keep track of a dredge graveyard that way. the way I do it now is I lay my graveyard out on one side of the mat, with the left edge peeking so I can identify narcomoebas and bridges really quickly.

rabidsquid posted:

COLOR PIE

LISA NEEDS BRACES

COLOR PIE

LISA NEEDS BRACES

lol

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I like the targeting clause.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Haha, what?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

HAH. Eat poo poo, Rhino.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Rinkles posted:

I like the targeting clause.

Heh rhino, courser, tasigur and every dragon lord except atarka.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lorwyn Elves hate any imperfection or ugliness- in this case unequal proportions. Kills a lot of important creatures dead in this format (die Rhino die)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

sarmhan posted:

Lorwyn Elves hate any imperfection or ugliness- in this case unequal proportions. Kills a lot of important creatures dead in this format (die Rhino die)

Yeah that's different and fun. Four power evasive body isn't bad either. Good design.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sarmhan posted:

Lorwyn Elves hate any imperfection or ugliness- in this case unequal proportions.

That kinda doesn't work given its own stats.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Keep the fun cards coming!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Maybe the elf is a 2/1 and the beast is a 2/2! But in reality, this is probably the design and development teams not really communicating on the idea.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Someone's translation:

Nissa's Revelation

Sorcery

Scry 5, then reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, draw cards equal to its power and gain life equal to its toughness.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Rinkles posted:

Someone's translation:

Nissa's Revelation

Sorcery

Scry 5, then reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, draw cards equal to its power and gain life equal to its toughness.

The art looks cool enough on that, but it makes me want a full art foil promo that would look incredible.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Someone's translation:

Nissa's Revelation

Sorcery

Are they trying to do green based control or what

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

More theros than theros.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
They really want to apologize for Theros being bad it seems.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Herald of the Pantheon is a card that makes no sense for not being in Theros.

Why are all the interesting cards spoiled today? Set went from terrible to at least sort of interesting.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Every Enchantress effect that isn't Argothian or Presence makes me slightly sad.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bugsy posted:

More theros than theros.

This is, like, exactly what Rock Stars needed all along.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Why are all the interesting cards spoiled today? Set went from terrible to at least sort of interesting.

I was going to ask the same thing. I'm waiting on the commons and uncommons so I can get an idea of what limited is going to look like.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's a shame we only get this mash-up of planes for one set.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

BJPaskoff posted:

It's a shame we only get this mash-up of planes for one set.

Yeah, while it's a bit hard to do story wise, this works in a really cool way

Imagine a set with, say, Vryn for Esper Colors and Muraganda (dinosaur/prehistoric plane) for Gruul.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Lorwyn elves are also giant hypocrites I guess? This isn't the first time this idea has been put on a card

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Angry Grimace posted:

Yea in the space of the day I've gone from 'yea, meh, Origins is a thing' to 'yea I'm into this poo poo'.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Elves are almost always xenophobic dicks in mtg

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GeneX posted:

This isn't true, non-Lorwyn elves as a whole are basically complete non-entities personality wise.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea in the space of the day I've gone from 'yea, meh, Origins is a thing' to 'yea I'm into this poo poo'.

Thirded. Seems like some neat cards.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Elyv posted:

This isn't true, non-Lorwyn elves as a whole are basically complete non-entities personality wise.

I'm probably just dealing with recency bias.

Also I'm having way too much fun thinking of new standard decks. UR Artifact Tempo? Abzan Enchantments? Goblins? GB Non Combo Elves?
White Weenie feat. Gideon?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Rinkles posted:

That's what makes it a cool design. It will destroy what it finds ugly, but the only difference between it and what's ugly is that it's an elf, and elves are always beautiful.

GeneX posted:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I was a little surprised at how many people hated the 2/1 Prowess guy. Seeker of the Way is playable as gently caress and I feel like that guy is better than Seeker of the Way past turn 4 or so.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

I was a little surprised at how many people hated the 2/1 Prowess guy. Seeker of the Way is playable as gently caress and I feel like that guy is better than Seeker of the Way past turn 4 or so.

Who hates it? It's playable in standard, even if it doesn't really have a home right now. It fits in the same type of deck as new Chandra( i.e. not aggro-burn). My first inclination is Jeskai or UR Tempo, but we'll see.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GeneX posted:

Who hates it? It's playable in standard, even if it doesn't really have a home right now. It fits in the same type of deck as new Chandra( i.e. not aggro-burn). My first inclination is Jeskai or UR Tempo, but we'll see.

I mean, okay, one of them was mcmagic, but a lot of people are saying that's not a Standard card. I think its pretty close.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, okay, one of them was mcmagic, but a lot of people are saying that's not a Standard card. I think its pretty close.

If faint praise is the worst this thread can rate a card its going to be imba in all formats.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

If faint praise is the worst this thread can rate a card its going to be imba in all formats.

The argument against that card is its not as good on turn 2 as it is later. Well, okay, but its also not so far below rate on turn 2 to say the card sucks, imo.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

The argument against that card is its not as good on turn 2 as it is later. Well, okay, but its also not so far below rate on turn 2 to say the card sucks, imo.

Who are you arguing against? Most of the thread hasn't expressed a strong opinion on the card either way.

I think the card's fine, just not exciting enough to warrant much discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lancelot posted:

Kaladesh is so derpy.

Somethingawful forums poster Tonetta just pointed out something sick with this.

You can transmute for it with Tolaria West.

• Locked thread