Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Beat Liquid Flame handily enough (thank you very much, Shiva), and pretty much cleared Karnak Castle's treasure chests entirely. I only skipped over the Shuriken and the throwing scroll (I forget which element it is) opposite the Esuna chest, since I'm doing a 750 run and thus have no chance of getting Ninja for my Fire job. Speaking of which, what did I get there, Bard or...

...Geomancer. :negative:

I guess this makes up for getting White Mage and Summoner for my first two jobs. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bufuman posted:

Hmm. How about this: Give everyone Summon, keep Golem up, weaken all of them but Earth to just over 3000 HP, then go to town with Titan and kill the other three before they start using their specials. After that you can do the same with the last one, with different (probably weaker) attacks. Try hoping for Sword Dance. Ideally have the Knight and hopefully Ranger with enough HP to survive the first Earth Shaker just in case.

This actually worked really well, thanks, although I was helped out quite a bit by some lucky procs on the Killer Bow the Ranger had.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

I'm starting another run, got bard as my first class. Anything i should be privy to? I know to play the pianos, but that's about it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Koobes posted:

I'm starting another run, got bard as my first class. Anything i should be privy to? I know to play the pianos, but that's about it.

There are three songs in World 1, two in World 2, one in World 3 before the Pyramid, and two after. Several are missable, so don't move on until you have them.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
After 2 runs (3 if you count my Solo Dragoon run in the Solo Omnithread) of getting schooled by Byblos, it was so drat satisfying to burn his rear end to the ground with Ifrit. :smugwizard:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Been waiting four hours for my victories on Run #6 to process ; the last victory right before mine was processed so I must have missed the processor guy before he went to bed by like, 5 minutes :bang:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Triple Crowned. Not hard with my team, but nice anyway. There were probably things I could've done to make Neo Exdeath easier, but Haste/Shell/Curaga got me through just fine anyway. Even if Krile got berserked off a Grand Cross and I didn't know how to get rid of it so she spent the entire battle ineffectually hacking away with her Air Knife. (I later found out you need to use Dispel for some insane reason)

I think after this I'll just play FFV normally and see all the stuff I skip because I don't need it. This year was the first time I had ever seen the Great Sea Trench.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Archeoaevis was a more interesting fight than usual with White Mage / Summoner / Geomancer. The variety of elemental attacks at my disposal made things easy enough up until the final form, which has that super high magic defense and is immune to all of the aforementioned elements (Fire, Ice, Lighting, AND Wind), so I had to fall way back on summoning Chocobo. Thankfully 3 Fat Chocobos showed up to hasten things considerably.

Anyway, final job is... Chemist? Awesome. I was getting a repeat either way (I got Dancer on my first Chaos run and Chemist on the last one), and this is the more preferable of the two. Still, maybe I should do No750 next run. Or maybe I'll go Random. I've gotten 3 of the 4 Earth jobs already (first run also included Samurai, yay Chaos!) so more chances to get early crystal jobs might be up my alley. Still, I gotta finish this run first, so ONWARD!

Also, this is pretty much another triple crown, though Omega is going to take a while. Summoned Ramuh is no Chicken Knife Rapid Fire, but it'll have to do.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 1, 2015

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Bufuman posted:

White Mage / Summoner / Geomancer.

Anyway, final job is... Chemist? Awesome.
We're Fiesta twins! :toot:

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

My first Fiesta completion, and another tardy Fartz.

Now to get the 3rd leg of the Triple Crown...

SeedyV fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 1, 2015

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

Bufuman posted:

To my shame, my team of White Mages and Summoners were unable to beat Shiva at level 8; Blizzara just hits too hard (a single target for 180+ or 80-90 to the whole team when no one had more than 150 HP? That poo poo HURTS), and 150 damage attacks against four enemies with a combined total of 3300 HP was a bit out of my reach; I could kill one, maybe two commanders before the constant needs for revival and healing wore me down. I went on over to Karnak and gained two levels on the trip to and from the meteor (which also puts them in the 180 HP area), as well as got everyone the best defensive gear for a few more M. Defense, so we'll see how it goes now.

I know you're past this by now but I actually did this for my run, except without the White Mages. I was level 9 and on a Chaos run with jobs unlocked, so I had a 4 summoner team when I got to Walse.

Remora works on the Commanders so they're disabled for the duration of the fight. Shiva's script is actually completely predictable and always alternates Ice2 on the front row and then the back row, so you can't have anyone solo on a row or they'll get single targeted for double damage. 2 casts of Sylph provides enough healing to recover from one cast of Ice2 as long as it's split.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsqDJtRII8g

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Modoh posted:

I know you're past this by now but I actually did this for my run, except without the White Mages. I was level 9 and on a Chaos run with jobs unlocked, so I had a 4 summoner team when I got to Walse.

Remora works on the Commanders so they're disabled for the duration of the fight. Shiva's script is actually completely predictable and always alternates Ice2 on the front row and then the back row, so you can't have anyone solo on a row or they'll get single targeted for double damage. 2 casts of Sylph provides enough healing to recover from one cast of Ice2 as long as it's split.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsqDJtRII8g

Must work a bit differently in the SNES version. I'm playing the GBA version and had my whole group in the back row (White Mages and Summoners, very fragile!) and she seemed to simply alternate between single-target and targeting everyone.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Signed up for chaos mode. First job was black mage. That's cool, I like magic. A whole team of wizards is a little weird to start off but whatever

Second job was a red mage. Okay, at least now I get to have some cure spells, that's useful, and now my wizards can at least use swords

Third job is a summoner.

Fuuuuuck I'm on the road to having an all-magic run

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Signed up for chaos mode. First job was black mage. That's cool, I like magic. A whole team of wizards is a little weird to start off but whatever

Second job was a red mage. Okay, at least now I get to have some cure spells, that's useful, and now my wizards can at least use swords

Third job is a summoner.

Fuuuuuck I'm on the road to having an all-magic run

But... you'll get to break all of the rods. ALL RODS MUST BE BROKEN!

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
So this is the first time I've done the fiesta. beaten it twice so far, once with Wmage/Tmage/Ranger/Dragoon and once with Wmage/Mystic/Bard/Samurai. Second time I opted not to get Holy, and forgot arise, so that made things interesting.

For my third run I wanted to do a chaos run, but there seems to be a delay of some sort? I could do my second run immediately but not chaos.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Chaos run 3 is done. Bard/Ranger/Dancer/Samurai

I just got one tablet this time because I really didn't need any of the legendary weapons.

Rapid fire Chicken Knife Dancer buffed up by Hero's Rime and Swift Song does so much damage. Neo Exdeath died before he even attacked once which is a shame because I love his boss music. Omega went down to Romeo's Ballad and Swift Song plus the chicken knife and Shinryu killed himself with Atomic Ray. I tried rapid firing apollo's harp on him but I guess that doesn't work. After 3 runs I should probably take a break from FFV but I really just want to go again. Chaos mode is great. Maybe this time I will finally get the two jobs I don't think I've ever used, Ninja and Time Mage.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bufuman posted:

Must work a bit differently in the SNES version. I'm playing the GBA version and had my whole group in the back row (White Mages and Summoners, very fragile!) and she seemed to simply alternate between single-target and targeting everyone.

As long as you have at least one character in the front and one in the back row, Shiva will always alternate between the two, even in the GBA version. The easiest way to do this fight is to put two characters in the front and two in the back, so you spread out the damage a bit.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Decided to do a chaos run this year and I've ended up with team tree-hugger: beast/beast/geo/ranger.

Anyone got any advice? I'm not seeing a lot of synergy here, so it looks as though I'm in for some catch+release grinding.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I can't tell if having to use freelancer until the water crystal is good or bad. I've already pulled a thief for my wind job last year so it should be a piece of cake in comparison.

Edit:

OneTrueBru posted:

Decided to do a chaos run this year and I've ended up with team tree-hugger: beast/beast/geo/ranger.

Anyone got any advice? I'm not seeing a lot of synergy here, so it looks as though I'm in for some catch+release grinding.

Aren't whips actually pretty decent? You could put geomancy on one tamer and hope for firaga procs from the flame whip end game.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 1, 2015

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Finished my run! NED was an absolute pain in the arse as it was really down to the luck of the draw with Grand Cross. I had to pretty much burn down the last section which made it rather tense. Phoenix to pick up fallen Beserkers and Golem to try and keep the party from dying from NED spamming Vacuum Wave. I ended up using Hermes Sandals rather than Reflect Rings as I could just summon Carbuncle and I really needed the extra speed to stay on top of attacks and to keep the momentum going. Lenna did finally fall so it was left to Faris to finish it off and a lucky run of high end attacks did the trick! On to the next run once this has processed!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

That makes 4 down. Might be able to handle Shinryu if I grind enough but gently caress it. Probably going to do another 750 because Gilgabot almost always gives me No750 stuff otherwise.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Oof. Gigabot, you sure aren't making this easy for a rusty first time Fiesta player. Just got past Liquid Flame and I'm sitting on Thief/Red Mage/Beastmaster. This is gonna really be rough once the -ara spells stop being effective.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tempest_56 posted:

Oof. Gigabot, you sure aren't making this easy for a rusty first time Fiesta player. Just got past Liquid Flame and I'm sitting on Thief/Red Mage/Beastmaster. This is gonna really be rough once the -ara spells stop being effective.

That's about when Beastmaster hits its stride, though. You get Aquathornes to kill the seal guardians, yellow dragons to kill W2 Exdeath...

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
So in my quest to earn donations to the Fiesta from a mysterious benefactor by killing snakes, I ran across some Lamias. Seeing as they're either snakes with women torsos or women with snake tails, I had to ask my donor if they counted as snakes.

The reply? "FAI AS A GENERAL RULE SNAKES DO NOT HAVE HAIR"

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

Sprite141 posted:

Aren't whips actually pretty decent? You could put geomancy on one tamer and hope for firaga procs from the flame whip end game.

I've actually been pretty impressed with just the basic whip so far, that paralysis effect seems to trigger an awful lot.

If nothing else this run should be entertaining, I've never rolled a geomancer or beastmaster before.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OneTrueBru posted:

I've actually been pretty impressed with just the basic whip so far, that paralysis effect seems to trigger an awful lot.

If nothing else this run should be entertaining, I've never rolled a geomancer or beastmaster before.

33% proc rate.

Use it on Byblos for Extra Hilarity.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

Kyrosiris posted:

33% proc rate.

I actually didn't realise it would work on him, just ended up spamming !gaia for the fire attack.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Registered for yet another Chaos run and I got Blue Mage. I kind of want to have a bunch of wind jobs this time to balance out all of the fire and earth jobs I've been getting.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Evil Eagle posted:

Registered for yet another Chaos run and I got Blue Mage. I kind of want to have a bunch of wind jobs this time to balance out all of the fire and earth jobs I've been getting.

I love how Blue Mages trivialize many things in the game.
Vampire is a surprisingly good source of healing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kyrosiris posted:

33% proc rate.

Think it's 50% actually. I know the later ones are, at least.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Started a 750 run with Blue Mage as my first job. Might be a silly question but is it possible to go back to the pirate cave after getting the Wind Crystal jobs? I'd like to go back and get Vampire.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Serenity Dove posted:

Started a 750 run with Blue Mage as my first job. Might be a silly question but is it possible to go back to the pirate cave after getting the Wind Crystal jobs? I'd like to go back and get Vampire.

Yeah, and you can even get a few chests in the pirate hideout.
Just take the ship down near Tycoon and there will be a spot you can land and go north to go through the cave again.

You will want to do this because if Blue Mages is all you have Vampire is a great healing source.

I think all you can get up to that point is Goblin Punch , Aero, and Vampire anyway unless I forgot one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Think it's 50% actually. I know the later ones are, at least.

So it is. I was getting it confused with the magic proc whips. :eng99:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kyrosiris posted:

That's about when Beastmaster hits its stride, though. You get Aquathornes to kill the seal guardians, yellow dragons to kill W2 Exdeath...

Reminder that Yellow Dragons don't do anything to W2 Exdeath if you're on iOS.

Will probably kill Exdeath tonight. Hermes Sandals instead of Reflect Rings was a good idea; I'm steamrolling everything now. My dancer with Excalibur + Equip Swords is doing 9999 damage almost all the time thanks to the Rainbow Dress.

I know I can !Calm-spam Shinryu since one of my classes is Beastmaster.

Do I have any way to beat Omega? Knight/Zerker/Beastmaster/Dancer

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

gently caress you, Ned. It's even a Fartz victory, even if I am tardy to the Farty.

Yay, first Fiesta victory!

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 1, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

I kind of want to have a bunch of wind jobs this time to balance out all of the fire and earth jobs I've been getting.

I got 3 earth jobs. Dragoon, Dragoon and Chemist. Lol I should not have said anything.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

FairGame posted:

Reminder that Yellow Dragons don't do anything to W2 Exdeath if you're on iOS.

Will probably kill Exdeath tonight. Hermes Sandals instead of Reflect Rings was a good idea; I'm steamrolling everything now. My dancer with Excalibur + Equip Swords is doing 9999 damage almost all the time thanks to the Rainbow Dress.

I know I can !Calm-spam Shinryu since one of my classes is Beastmaster.

Do I have any way to beat Omega? Knight/Zerker/Beastmaster/Dancer

The Calm-spam is actually against Omega, not Shinryu.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh hey I haven't got Dragoon before. Thief/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon. I think I could do Shinryu/Omega with this team? Omega I just need !Calm, for Shinryu I might need to do something interesting.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

Oh hey I haven't got Dragoon before. Thief/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon. I think I could do Shinryu/Omega with this team? Omega I just need !Calm, for Shinryu I might need to do something interesting.

Nah, just grab a Mammon from the roof of Void Castle and an Oiseaurare from Solitary Island Shrine. Put a reflect ring on someone (probably your dragoon), release the Mammon, hope the Berserk casts on whomever has the ring (if it doesn't, reset), then release the Oiseaurare for Rainbow Wind (which blinds), then go ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

You can berserk and blind Shinryu through Release so go in with Phoenix Downs and Running Shoes and you'll be fine.

• Locked thread