Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gaz-L posted:

Like 80 of them are actual puzzles that will take you maybe 2 minutes a pop, another hundred are "go to map marker, collect doodad, number goes up", 40 or so of the 'take a picture of this thing related to the Batman character clearly mentioned in the clue" and then there's a couple of races and 'shoot X things'.

The amount of whining this creates baffles me. Like, the feathers in Assassin's Creed 2, I get, there's no in-game map of them, so you either scour the map by hand or find a walkthrough. Rocksteady GIVE YOU THE WALKTHROUGH with the Riddler goons. Just slap on a podcast or audiobook and it'll take like 2-3 hours, and you can fight dudes and do other poo poo in between.

They are tedious and boring as poo poo. I understand you think they're not a big issue, but like holy gently caress the utter monotony of it is terrible and I have other games I would rather play than waste my loving time getting all of the Riddler trophies for a third time in this series just so I can watch this loser break down again. Like it was cute the first time when the game was more limited in its space and I was already sick of them by city, but this is actually loving ridiculous. It's not a matter of being difficult to find, it's a matter of it being a tedious waste of time which this game already has enough of with the other collectathon bullshit it has with capturing checkpoints, finding mines, and other assorted stupid poo poo they call CONTENT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

poptart_fairy posted:

Of course Americans would take issue with indoor smoking laws. :smug:

What is this even supposed to mean?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Beef Chief posted:

They are tedious and boring as poo poo. I understand you think they're not a big issue, but like holy gently caress the utter monotony of it is terrible and I have other games I would rather play than waste my loving time getting all of the Riddler trophies for a third time in this series just so I can watch this loser break down again. Like it was cute the first time when the game was more limited in its space and I was already sick of them by city, but this is actually loving ridiculous. It's not a matter of being difficult to find, it's a matter of it being a tedious waste of time which this game already has enough of with the other collectathon bullshit it has with capturing checkpoints, finding mines, and other assorted stupid poo poo they call CONTENT.

That is content, and it's totally OPTIONAL. You don't have to put up with it if you don't care for it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah and I was saying I didn't want to do it nor was I going to. Then he came and said the whining it creates baffles him, so I explained it in incredibly simple terms. What part of that did you feel the need to respond to or warranted that response?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
What do you seek in those tunnels, Batman?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

el oso posted:

The explode when they shoot upgrade made that a breeze.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

MrJacobs posted:

That is content, and it's totally OPTIONAL. You don't have to put up with it if you don't care for it.

lovely content is lovely, optional or not.

It's optional to play entire lovely games yet people still go online and complain about them, without even playing them sometimes.

The number of riddler trophies is quite a ways from the range of detour, or clever side quest.

You aren't a bad or boring person for doing them, you're actually super dedicated and are willing to look over that lovely bit because the reward felt worth it.
Other people wish that fun gameplay was there instead with the same reward.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MrJacobs posted:

No it's actually not if you want the real ending to the game. Even Arkham City was smart enough to not hide something ending-related behind the Riddler's bullshit.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

el oso posted:

Was this part actually a problem? I beat it first try by simply sneaking through and using the hacking device to disable the tanks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^^
yeah but its one hit kill so if you sneak up on the one in the alcove too close to the right wall you can't get the right angle with your hack tool and you die. gently caress up and die moments suck in a game with taunt and loading screens upon death.

i hope the next rocksteady game is a master blaster reboot designed around a jumping tank

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

i hope the next rocksteady game is a master blaster reboot designed around a jumping tank

A Ghost in the Shell game where you're a Tachikoma

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Real hurthling! posted:

^^^
yeah but its one hit kill so if you sneak up on the one in the alcove too close to the right wall you can't get the right angle with your hack tool and you die. gently caress up and die moments suck in a game with taunt and loading screens upon death.

In previous Arkham games you could skip the death taunt and go straight to the loading screen by just tapping the retry button a couple times but it doesn't seem to work in this one for some reason.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Real hurthling! posted:

^^^

Really? I think it shot me with it's machine gun when I played it. But I can't remember if I was seen at all by it.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The Riddler trophies are pretty bad in this game, they should really cap that poo poo at like 100 or something. I ran around for over an hour yesterday doing them and when I saw I still had like 180 left to go I let out the biggest sigh.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah. Also the puzzles are just so lazy. They should have made better puzzles and less of them.

Real hurthling! posted:

^^^

Corner cover right there and you don't have to gently caress around with the angle

It's obviously some kind of design failure since a lot of people have trouble with it but I can't quite figure out what the disconnect is

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it would work even if they just took out all the "find it lying on the ground somewhere" ones. The puzzles were actually entertaining, and the Riddles were great as always, its just the mindless collectathon aspect that made it bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what the gently caress is up with the camera in the cloudburst fight after a hit? i'm trying to run away and the camera pulls out to a wide shot and makes it impossible to make turns

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I also hate 243 Riddler challenges as compared to 440 in Arkham City.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Arkham City Riddler trophies and challenge maps for four killed my desire to 100% that game. :argh:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Saint Freak posted:

A Ghost in the Shell game where you're a Tachikoma

They made one of those already! It was better than the Batmobile sections because you could climb walls without using a winch.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don't even get a credits roll unless you do more of these sidequests, lol at that dude who said this poo poo was optional.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
OK finally finished the story, and I'm at like 75% total. First of all, its such a shame that the PC port poo poo happened because (I played this on PC) this game was amazing and such a great topper to Asylum and City. I hope people get to play it normally and its not thought of as a complete failure because when it works, its absolutely stellar.

Thoughts:
1) the ability to play the story with other skins was surprisingly awesome; I played with the DKR skin, and it fit great with the idea of an older Batman at the end of his run, wearing the traditional burlap pajamas while everyone else is wearing armor. It doesnt work in the final cutscene, though, but oh well.it worked particularly well when Batman tapped his chest and said "He knew what he was doing"
2)Batmobile was fine/great, but the cobra "stealth sequences" were awful. I was playing on normal but turned down to easy for the Cloudburst just to get it over with.
3) I thought I was sick of the Joker, but I wasnt. Every time he appeared when I crested a railing, I was happy to see him. The ending was downright heartbreaking. A great sendoff to two great characters

edit: I had a flawless performance on PC on low settings, until the fear toxin and Ivy's spores were released, and then I got some slowdown when glide-bursting or tearing around in the batmobile

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 1, 2015

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

^^^

I'm pretty sure that one shines a light on the wall to show where it's looking. It's just that sometimes it doesn't move.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah it does.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

dscruffy1 posted:

Its not good in either. Reducing the number from gently caress you, to yeah loving right is still dumb.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Beef Chief posted:

You don't even get a credits roll unless you do more of these sidequests, lol at that dude who said this poo poo was optional.

Why would anyone even want to see the credits roll in games anymore that poo poo takes like 45 minutes

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

OnimaruXLR posted:

Why would anyone even want to see the credits roll in games anymore that poo poo takes like 45 minutes

Yo, I wanna see all the VAs because i need to know who the hell voices Johnny Charisma.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

Yo, I wanna see all the VAs because i need to know who the hell voices Johnny Charisma.

It's Jason Todd, the second Robin.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I liked how they did the sidekick fights. I hope they use that mechanic in more games. It worked really well.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

hiddenriverninja posted:

I just finished the Penguin weapon cache quest chain and the difference between how Bruce treats Dick and Tim is really irritating.

Dick is older, his own man, and....better than Tim. Yes I said it. That's why their whole plotline is "You're my favorite son. Go to Bludhaven and be their Batman. I'm prolly gonna die. Love you." Meanwhile Tim is the baby of the family and has had the least training, so Batman is more like "Please wait in this cage while I go do things. Sorry bout Babs." Made sense to me. I wish they'd put more Nightwing in the game. Or you know what? More Batfamily period. I get that it's supposed to center around Batman and him actually having Robin and Nightwing around in Knight shows how dire the situation is, but I feel like it would be a stronger moment if we spent more time with them. In Asylum, it made sense that Batman was alone since Joker specifically forbade any capes from showing up, so all you had was Oracle's voice to guide you. Helped the atmosphere too. But in City I felt like it was a little convenient for Batman to send Robin away for DLC and basically pretend Nightwing didn't exist. Origins went too far back, so there was no Robin at all. It comes back to my issue with Jason. Yes I'm still spoiling it despite the number of people who've flat out said it in the thread. But I think this game (despite being amazing) kinda hinged on me caring about Barbara, Tim, Dick, and really everyone in the Batfamily besides Alfred (oddly). But this is the only game we spent longer than 2 minutes with ANY of them outside Oracle's voice in the past few games. An opportunity was missed. I feel for everyone who doesn't/has never read comics and thus couldn't care about those guys.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

SonicRulez posted:

Dick is older, his own man, and....better than Tim. Yes I said it. That's why their whole plotline is "You're my favorite son. Go to Bludhaven and be their Batman. I'm prolly gonna die. Love you." Meanwhile Tim is the baby of the family and has had the least training, so Batman is more like "Please wait in this cage while I go do things. Sorry bout Babs." Made sense to me. I wish they'd put more Nightwing in the game. Or you know what? More Batfamily period. I get that it's supposed to center around Batman and him actually having Robin and Nightwing around in Knight shows how dire the situation is, but I feel like it would be a stronger moment if we spent more time with them. In Asylum, it made sense that Batman was alone since Joker specifically forbade any capes from showing up, so all you had was Oracle's voice to guide you. Helped the atmosphere too. But in City I felt like it was a little convenient for Batman to send Robin away for DLC and basically pretend Nightwing didn't exist. Origins went too far back, so there was no Robin at all. It comes back to my issue with Jason. Yes I'm still spoiling it despite the number of people who've flat out said it in the thread. But I think this game (despite being amazing) kinda hinged on me caring about Barbara, Tim, Dick, and really everyone in the Batfamily besides Alfred (oddly). But this is the only game we spent longer than 2 minutes with ANY of them outside Oracle's voice in the past few games. An opportunity was missed. I feel for everyone who doesn't/has never read comics and thus couldn't care about those guys.
Origins at least had plenty of Bruce-Alfred interactions and was the better for it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Beef Chief posted:

Good luck with that, the credits just put all the voice actors in one giant list without linking them to any characters.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

Just because that one was worse doesn't make this one good. It's like going "well last time they broke all my fingers and toes, but this time they just did my fingers." Like yeah, that's better, but it still loving sucks.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Just because that one was worse doesn't make this one good. It's like going "well last time they broke all my fingers and toes, but this time they just did my fingers." Like yeah, that's better, but it still loving sucks.

The issue is that there was not nearly this much whining and moaning when Arkham City hit with its ridiculous amount of Riddler challenges. It's only now popping up for some reason.

Like, you guys think this poo poo is bad, you obviously didn't play Origins (though that's a good move on your part.) Not only were there 200 of the fuckers, they also removed every challenge that wasn't a trophy. No scanning easter eggs, no lining up question marks, no nothing.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

The issue is that there was not nearly this much whining and moaning when Arkham City hit with its ridiculous amount of Riddler challenges. It's only now popping up for some reason.

Like, you guys think this poo poo is bad, you obviously didn't play Origins (though that's a good move on your part.) Not only were there 200 of the fuckers, they also removed every challenge that wasn't a trophy. No scanning easter eggs, no lining up question marks, no nothing.

Criticising videogames could get you probated when city came out so I'm not surprised.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

final riddler race is the least fun i've ever had playing video games. arkham knight 4/10

gently caress the blades coming at you in the last team puzzle too i haven't seen enough loading screens yet. 2/10

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 1, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The enigma data packs in Origins was one of the few times where I've gotten to the end of a long grueling video game challenge and gone "Wow, totally not worth all that drat energy and time."

The map in Origins was also fuckawful, with the game blocking off passages without marking it on your map - and keeping the new entrances completely hidden. I spent a solid hour and a half trying to get to one drat trophy under the GCPD, only to discover I had to find an unmarked manhole cover four blocks away and enter in that way.

Origins get unnecessarily poo poo on a lot, but its handling of Enigma is terrible.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

They gated one of the game's endings behind them this time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sober posted:

Origins at least had plenty of Bruce-Alfred interactions and was the better for it.

The game over screens with Alfred are depressing as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Technically Batman didn't kill this guy...

• Locked thread